So, Timo Werner?

pearl1337

Timos beard doesn't go that high up, going by pictures I've seen.

Reverse-googling comes up with it being De Gea during contract negotiations.
Most definately looks like Dave. Smirk face, squinty eyes etc

Jibbs

Imho no because they all favor coming in from the left
Werner can play on the right, I would certainly like a competition for place between him and Martial. He drops deep and in my opinion has better connecting play than Martial. In future, Greenwood can give both of them competition for the place both for right forward and false 9 position.

But that's all assumptions based on Werner coming to OT.

beingshe7don

Way too many clubs in for Werner including the likes of Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Chelsea, and even Man City. If he tears it up at the Euros, he's gonna be one of the most sought after this summer along with Sancho.

Rauður Djöfull

Way too many clubs in for Werner including the likes of Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Chelsea, and even Man City. If he tears it up at the Euros, he's gonna be one of the most sought after this summer along with Sancho.
hasn't he said recently that Premier League is appealing to him?
Surely if we sign Bruno, get CL spot and show some ambition and plan he can be persuade to join us, think I read somewhere that he is/was a Man Utd fan when younger, not that that alone will be a selling point

Would love for us to get him but you are probably right in that the clubs you mention have a bigger chance

BlackShark_80

I don't think Bayern is in for Werner atm and i can't see Werner go to Real or City either unless they sell one of their strikers. Still think he will most likely go to Chelsea or Liverpool in the summer.

Last edited:

jackal&hyde

I like him a lot more then Haaland but i though he was 100% Bayern bound. If we have a chance to get him we should. Werner and Sancho in the summer and we are on for the league.

BlackShark_80

I like him a lot more then Haaland but i though he was 100% Bayern bound. If we have a chance to get him we should. Werner and Sancho in the summer and we are on for the league.
Last summer he was almost 100% Bayern bound but apparently Kovac & Salihamidzic vetoed his transfer.

Brightonian

I'm not sure exactly what the point of getting him would be. Our midfield is now so obviously more in need of reinforcement than our attack. And if we reinforce our attack, the missing element is so clearly someone naturally right-sided. I haven't seen a huge amount of Werner but I gather he's a forward who likes to come off the left hand side or just play straight through the middle. That's arguably our most crowded position, and would put him in competition with our two best attacking players for game time.

Last edited:

jackal&hyde

I'm not sure exactly what the point of getting him would be. Our midfield is now so obviously more in need of reinforcement than our attack. And if we reinforce our attack, the missing element is so clearly someone naturally right-sided. I haven't seen a huge amount of Werner but I gather he's a forward who likes to come off the left hand side or just play straight through the middle. That's arguably our most crowded position, and would put him in competition with our two best attacking players for game time.
One injury to Martial and we have no quality alternative for CF. No reason why in the summer we can't buy 3 or 4 players. DM, CM, RW, CF.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's worth keeping in mind that he takes penalties for Leipzig, though his goalscoring record this season is so immense that it probably doesn't make a huge difference.

I don't think he would fix United's attack, nor add that much to it, as I would say Rashford is a fairly similar type of player.

his stats mainly come from this cluster of games

When Leipzig were struggling during September and October his scoring went down to 1 in 6, in the CL he scored a brace in the opener, then nothing aside from a penalty in the remaining five games and for DIE MANNSCHAFT he scored four goals since 2018. He's a good player, but unless he can keep this recent goal scoring record up long term, certainly not elite, imho. And while I'm not sure whether it is okay to talk so openly about another team's player I think Salihamidzic put it quite succinctly.

NoPace

I think he makes sense for the Prem in that he's sort of Vardy-like in relying on his pace and runs on the final shoulder and that should suit up-tempo football if he's got the right manager.

Chelsea makes sense in that he and Abraham are very different and they could play Abraham against teams sitting deep, Werner against higher lines and both when they need a goal as they'd have a 9 to come off the bench against tiring defences, and they could basically pay for it by selling Batshuayi (who would bring back 30M from a Prem team I think with his overall record (16 in 29 for Belgium) and only being 26) and getting off Giroud's wages.

Brightonian

One injury to Martial and we have no quality alternative for CF. No reason why in the summer we can't buy 3 or 4 players. DM, CM, RW, CF.
Rashford and Greenwood can both play there. I'm not disputing the fact that we could buy there, but the other three positions you mention are all much more in need of reinforcement and I'd rather see big signings there and nothing at CF than four mediocre acquisitions.

Enigma_87

You know who
It's worth keeping in mind that he takes penalties for Leipzig, though his goalscoring record this season is so immense that it probably doesn't make a huge difference.

I don't think he would fix United's attack, nor add that much to it, as I would say Rashford is a fairly similar type of player.

his stats mainly come from this cluster of games

When Leipzig were struggling during September and October his scoring went down to 1 in 6, in the CL he scored a brace in the opener, then nothing aside from a penalty in the remaining five games and for DIE MANNSCHAFT he scored four goals since 2018. He's a good player, but unless he can keep this recent goal scoring record up long term, certainly not elite, imho. And while I'm not sure whether it is okay to talk so openly about another team's player I think Salihamidzic put it quite succinctly.
Every top striker not named Cristiano or Messi goes through barren runs. Werner is also still very young and not your typical target man as he has much more to his game.

Lewa also went through barren runs at his age, not that I'm comparing them directly but Werner is a very good player and certainly an improvement to our attack if we are to have a fluid front 3.

RoyH1

Can we get him now?
RB Leipzig are top of the Bundesliga and have a realistic shot at winning the title. It would take a ridiculous amount of money to get RB to sell. Hell, Werner might not even want to leave in order to win a title.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Every top striker not named Cristiano or Messi goes through barren runs. Werner is also still very young and not your typical target man as he has much more to his game.

Lewa also went through barren runs at his age, not that I'm comparing them directly but Werner is a very good player and certainly an improvement to our attack if we are to have a fluid front 3.
I'm not saying that he isn't a good player or that he isn't in great shape this season, but I see posts like "20 goals already, Real or City next season" and I think that's over the top. Bayern for example seem to have passed on him for the second time now, despite him being available on a discount both times.

He's 23, completed six seasons with 30+ league games, 29 international caps, around 250 senior club games, he's sort of young in age, but already very experienced.

You say he's got more to his game than a typical target man, but that is kind of a half truth, as he got strengths in some areas and distinct weaknesses in others. I don't think his hold up play is particularly good, he doesn't play with his back towards goal at all and he has no aerial presence. I'm not convinced that he can lead the attack on his own. Leipzig make it work with Nagelmann's superb positional play and by partnering him with either Poulsen or Schick, two guys who are tall and strong yet also possess good technique, who do the dirty work for him. At the World Cup he was a complete disaster, in all three games old man Gomez had to be subbed in and Werner was shifted out wide eventually. For the last international games of 2019 Löw even seemed to prefer playing Gnabry and Waldschmidt at #9 and that's with Sane being injured and Reus being in pretty mediocre shape.

I think in a typical 433 he struggles to find a position. While he's rapid and has decent dribbling it's not good enough to be a top level modern winger, as those are supposed to create spaces with their dribbling while for him it's more the other way around: he uses spaces others create for him. And because he doesn't really have the ability to lead the line I don't see him playing as first class lone striker either.

That positional "confusion", playing a bit as a striker, then as a winger, then again as a striker, reminds me a lot of Rashford and while in terms of individual strength Werner would obviously be a top 3 attacker in United's current squad I don't think a modern team wants two players of that type.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
I'm not saying that he isn't a good player or that he isn't in great shape this season, but I see posts like "20 goals already, Real or City next season" and I think that's over the top. Bayern for example seem to have passed on him for the second time now, despite him being available on a discount both times.

He's 23, completed six seasons with 30+ league games, 29 international caps, around 250 senior club games, he's sort of young in age, but already very experienced.

You say he's got more to his game than a typical target man, but that is kind of a half truth, as he got strengths in some areas and distinct weaknesses in others. I don't think his hold up play is particularly good, he doesn't play with his back towards goal at all and he has no aerial presence. I'm not convinced that he can lead the attack on his own. Leipzig make it work with Nagelmann's superb positional play and by partnering him with either Poulsen or Schick, two guys who are tall and strong yet also possess good technique, who do the dirty work for him. At the World Cup he was a complete disaster, in all three games old man Gomez had to be subbed in and Werner was shifted out wide eventually.

I think in a typical 433 he struggles to find a position. While he's rapid and has decent dribbling it's not good enough to be a top level modern winger, as those are supposed to create spaces with their dribbling while for him it's more the other way around: he uses spaces others create for him. And because he doesn't really have the ability to lead the line I don't see him playing as first class lone striker either.

That positional "confusion", playing a bit as a striker, then as a winger, then again as a striker, reminds me a lot of Rashford and while in terms of individual strength Werner would obviously be a top 3 attacker in United's current squad I don't think a modern team wants two players of that type.
I agree with most of your assessment and my point of him not being a target man you have further highlighted you your post. I can see him playing on the right wing off a center forward just like Rashford on the left. He will improve, but as you said he won't become a target man or someone who can lead the line on his own.

A RWF/LWF is where he would be in a 4-3-3. Of course he is not ready for Real/City/Bayern yet but at United, given our state at the moment he would probably make the step up, whilst also improve our attack. Especially if we keep with the counter-attacking set up we are currently planning to play.

At Bayern/Real/City he will have much less space to work with, hence it will be more challenging, but he also has good pressing on him so I can see him thriving in modern set ups.

He is experienced in terms of games, but his game hasn't reached a ceiling yet and probably see the best of him in 2-3 years time.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I agree with most of your assessment and my point of him not being a target man you have further highlighted you your post. I can see him playing on the right wing off a center forward just like Rashford on the left. He will improve, but as you said he won't become a target man or someone who can lead the line on his own.

A RWF/LWF is where he would be in a 4-3-3. Of course he is not ready for Real/City/Bayern yet but at United, given our state at the moment he would probably make the step up, whilst also improve our attack. Especially if we keep with the counter-attacking set up we are currently planning to play.

At Bayern/Real/City he will have much less space to work with, hence it will be more challenging, but he also has good pressing on him so I can see him thriving in modern set ups.

He is experienced in terms of games, but his game hasn't reached a ceiling yet and probably see the best of him in 2-3 years time.
But United's problem aren't counter attacks, are they? It's breaking down defenses and I don't see how it would be remotely efficient spending in that regard to add another goal scorer on the wings, just to realize that they will only be half as effective if there is no one who opens up spaces and feeds them. Personally I'd look at a creative midfielder/RW and a proper no9.

Enigma_87

You know who
But United's problem aren't counter attacks, are they? It's breaking down defenses and I don't see how it would be remotely efficient spending in that regard to add another goal scorer on the wings, just to realize that they will only be half as effective if there is no one who opens up spaces and feeds them. Personally I'd look at a creative midfielder/RW and a proper no9.
We do lack someone who can fit our style and occupy the RW. Werner can do that, he has played on both wings.

We do need of course a proper #9 and a creative #10, but yet another year has passed and we didn't fix our right wing.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Enigma_87

You know who

Crashoutcassius

Was very poor at previous tournament and hopefully Germany are still a mess to keep the price down ....

In all seriousness I don't get any sense that ole wants to replace martial... Those saying play him right wing ... Just sign a right winger instead?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Yeah, lot of noise about his desire to join Liverpool, but you have to wonder if it's not just media picking up some bs rumor and everybody copying it to get content out. He would be a great signing for anybody IMO. Definitely need to improve the midfield, but forward is as important because right now there's only Martial that can do the job up front, and he's not going to get much of a rest at all for the rest of the season, which is risking potential injury.