So, Timo Werner?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Great post and apologies for some comment necromancy, I was gonna ask about Werner and you sort of confirmed my thinking

I feel like all of our players are exactly the way you describe Werner - none or them want to be out and out strikers really they all want to counter attack and hit the ball on a run, not hold off and turn a player, and they all imo want to operate in a sort of inside forward position instead of on the shoulder of a defender

Is there anyone in Germany that would suit us better do you think? Besides the obvious (like Sancho and Haaland), how is Patrick Schick?
Haven't seen too much of Schick to be honest. Primarily highlights, one or two games and of courae the match against us. I'd say he's a lite version of Berbatov. Has a great first touch and is very good on the bal despite his height. A very smart striker but I'm not sure he's got the instinct and positioning.

I don't really think the Bundesliga currently has a top class striker of the type you're describing except for Lewandowski and Haaland, of course. Dortmund has veen looking for someone like that since Aubameyang left. In general, there aren't many typical strikers around. We also play with Volland primarily who's a lesser version of Werner (very agile, moves around a lot but lacks the pace). The ones that fit your description are probably Schick, Cordoba/Modeste, Alario, Andersson, Weghorst and Plea. Probably missed a few. Anyway, nothing exciting really. Let's see how Schick develops.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Don't want when he gets into a slump it's like watching Lukaku wasting chance after chance.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I can totally see Liverpool selling Salah for big money and signing Werner for a fraction of that amount

Walters_19_MuFc

Too similar to Rashford and Martial, in that he scores quite a few goals, but he's not really an out an out forward, who will hold the ball, win aerial battles, etc.

We need a younger Ighalo.

passing-wind

I've said since the world cup that he's not clinical positionally nor in the sense of his movement, instincts or positioning as a striker (irrespective of numbers). The best striker in pure form that was available in the market was Haaland. Think Ole should go with a 433 and use Greenwood to drop back occasionally for possession similar to Firminho for Liverpool.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He’d be a massive downgrade on Salah, but I’d rather they did that than sign Sancho.
Everyone thought Salah wouldn't be a great buy so coaching makes a load of difference.

Werner has already scored close to 30 goals this season, and has 15 assists. He's very versatile and I think would be a great signing for Klopp because he'l settle in immediately, can replace Salah or Mane.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Everyone thought Salah wouldn't be a great buy so coaching makes a load of difference.

Werner has already scored close to 30 goals this season, and has 15 assists. He's very versatile and I think would be a great signing for Klopp because he'l settle in immediately, can replace Salah or Mane.
Agreed. He looks very much like a player suited for Klopp. Young, versatile, scores and assists.

It would make a lot of sense imo to cash in on Salah while we still can and replace him with Werner while making a good profit of it.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
He's one of those, bit underwhelming when you actually watch him play, for instance tonight and first leg but then when you don't watch him you hear he's done something great at the weekend in the Bundesliga. I'd take him for the release clause being touted before the end of April but only for depth and if he's happy to come off the bench.

If he's being bought at a fraction of the cost to replace Salah who's sold for a big fee that ends with Micheal Edwards lauded as a genius by our fans they need to get real, he's a level below Salah.

Art Vandelay

Too similar to Rashford and Martial, in that he scores quite a few goals, but he's not really an out an out forward, who will hold the ball, win aerial battles, etc.

We need a younger Ighalo.
Yeah, I'd have liked Werner, but having seen the difference Ighalo makes I think you're right. He could be a decent option for us though, but not as the only forward we sign.

Craig Ward

I've watched a bit of Leipzig this season, and he is by far they're star man. Saying that, Leipzig have some very good players.

I think the style of play, the environment works for him there. The whole team work as a unit and he benefits from the style of attacking football.

What i do like about him is the work ethic, he's always looking to run in behind and run off the defenders. His pace is superb. He's always looking to get a shot away and borders on selfish, but he's a goalscorer and if he can get a shot away, he backs himself.

He's a top player, always a risk that moving to a new league or to a team where the set up is different it may effect him. There's a reason it works at Leipzig for him, he's given the freedom to run in behind and be a threat, a different manager may use different tactics or style of play which wouldnt work out for him so well.

Lot of talk of Klopp being able to coach him well and make him even better, like he's done with Mane, Salah etc and i can see that. He's an out and out goal threat. He'd be a Salah replacement for me

NoPace

Haven't seen too much of Schick to be honest. Primarily highlights, one or two games and of courae the match against us. I'd say he's a lite version of Berbatov. Has a great first touch and is very good on the bal despite his height. A very smart striker but I'm not sure he's got the instinct and positioning.

I don't really think the Bundesliga currently has a top class striker of the type you're describing except for Lewandowski and Haaland, of course. Dortmund has veen looking for someone like that since Aubameyang left. In general, there aren't many typical strikers around. We also play with Volland primarily who's a lesser version of Werner (very agile, moves around a lot but lacks the pace). The ones that fit your description are probably Schick, Cordoba/Modeste, Alario, Andersson, Weghorst and Plea. Probably missed a few. Anyway, nothing exciting really. Let's see how Schick develops.
He would have been a good gamble for this past season, as Leipzig paid 3-4M to get him this year and have an option for 29M. He and players like him are intriguing in that he could be Martial's backup as a 9 and also Bruno's in that we'd just play 442 with him as a second striker type.

If we buy Sancho I wonder if we might risk it and just give Greenwood the backup 9 job properly because Rashford could also play up top more with James at LW and Sancho out right when Martial is unavailable, and because Greenwood will probably still score goals at a passable rate even if he struggles to actually play well at such a young age. Probably still make sense to get a loaned in striker in that case.