So which players would you keep?

OleGunnar20

Onana (For now), Bayindir, Shaw, Malacia, Martinez, Varane, Evans, Casemiro, Mount, Bruno, Mainoo, Garnacho, Rashford, Amad, Hojlund.

Youngsters like Gore as well of course. Rash, Casemiro, Shaw & Varane are welcome to leave if big offers come in.

The rest can go in the bin, and that would only be a start really. There are some being kept such as Onana & Mount simply because they've barely come in the door.

Shiteshow.

Loon

:lol:
The kids.

need to start from scratch with fresh minds, belief and desire.

Hester_manc

This is not football manager and I really tried to take that into account. Still, I have found many players who are not good enough and I would sell or let go. However, some of them are players who are out on loan today.

I would keep:
Bayindir: As a reserve. Haven't had a chance yet.

Heaton: As 3rd goalkeeper. Because he is experienced and can teach younger goalkeepers something.

Maguire: He has been our best defender this season. He has been really good and deserves another chance.

Martinz: Good first season.

Varane: If he is content to be back-up to Maguire and Martinez, who I see as first choice.

Shaw: There aren't many better left backs in the league.

AWB: His defensive qualities are golden against strong dribblers.

Evans: As 5th choice in centre-back. He has surprised me and deserves one more season.

Kambwala: He deserves a chance to prove himself. Promising.

Bruno: Most creative player in the squad.

Mainoo: Great talent.

McT: If he's happy with life as a back-up (has to be 4th or 5th choice to the two central midfielders). He always gives 100% and we don't have many physically strong midfielders.

Eriksen: If he is happy to be a back-up next season (as 3rd or 4th choice to the two midfielders). Creative, calm, does not panic under pressure.

Rashford: He was one of our best players last season. He will be again.

Højlund: Still young and deserves another chance to adapt to the league and the team.

Garnacho: Perhaps our greatest talent along with Mainoo.

Greenwood: He hasn't been convicted of anything, so I would take him back. We really need a goalscorer and he will be our best finisher.

I have doubts about the following:

Casemiro: He looked really bad before his injury and I fear he is finished at this level. But at the same time, he has won so much that he can be important for the team routinely. I hope he will come back to the same form as last season.

Amad: He has been injured all season, but showed good pace last season when he was on loan.

Hannibal: I doubt the talent is great enough. But I'm not sure.

These are the ones I would sell/let go:

Onana: He's been expensive, but he's also been a disaster.

Reguilon: Not our player. But otherwise a good back-up for Shaw. If United buy him, I would feel fine.

Dalot: Can't defend.

Williams: The talent is not big enough.

Amrabat: Not our player and not good enough. Much worse than Fred.

Mount: He won't be sold. I know. But I'm not a fan of him at all and I've never understood why he went to United in the first place.

Pellistri: The talent is not big enough.

Donny: It just didn't work out.

Martial: What is happening to him? He totally faded.

Antony: Great technique but can't create a scoring chance anyway.

Sancho: Unfortunately. The talent is otherwise great.

Shoretire: The talent is not big enough

Blood Mage

Shaw
Martinez
Garnacho
Mainoo
Amad
Dalot (as backup RB)
Mount (not seen enough to want rid yet)

Devil81

I only want the following players.

Garnacho
Shaw
Martinez
Hojlund
Amad
Mainoo

Jury is out on Hojlund for me but he has potential and would be helped by a better side behind him.

Bruno the captain, I think he's part of the problem. He turns over play so often and is far too maverick.

The rest are either too old, not played enough to be judged or absolutely dog shit!!!

Cult of Personality

One of ten Hag's many issues was thinking he could build something with players who have consistently been a part of failures at United for a long time.

He got a bit of luck in terms of Pogba, Lingard and Mata already deciding their futures before he even got the job. They were on the way out the door by early 2022.

The players I'm referring to are Shaw, Lindelöf, Maguire, McTominay, Bruno Fernandes and, as much as I hate to say it, Rashford. He was willing to part ways with Maguire and McTominay this summer, but then ended up with a newfound respect for McTominay after he saved his bacon a few times.

Some of the fanbase love Shaw, Bruno and Rashford. Some even think they're world class. Each to their own. But they simply can't be relied upon to deliver consistent quality season after season. They might be better players ability wise than some of the other dross at the club. However, you are in trouble if these are your key players and senior figures. All they've know at United is losing. Shaw has been losing for 10 years. Rashford experienced some decent success during his first 18 months as a player (4 trophies). That was when he wasn't a key player or leader/senior player. Bruno Fernandes has been a part of some of the worst results in the club's history during what's approaching just 4 years at the club. They're all mentally weak when it comes down to it. Yet they're held on a pedestal by many within the club and us, the fans, who often get conned.

To make matters worse, most of ten Hag's signings are even worse than what was already at the club.

It's really a dire situation where you could sell/release 75% of the squad.

kaku06

McT: If he's happy with life as a back-up (has to be 4th or 5th choice to the two central midfielders). He always gives 100% and we don't have many physically strong midfielders.
Neither he gives 100% nor he’s physically strong.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Shaw
Martinez
Garnacho
Mainoo
Amad
Dalot (as backup RB)
Mount (not seen enough to want rid yet)
This is the correct answer.

Keep the bright youngsters, Shaw and Martinez, and maybe a couple of others as you listed. And then feck off the rest for whatever cash we can get. The entire club needs purging. It would be stupid to just run it back with Bruno and Rashford and the rest of the main faces of the squad under yet another manager.

Von Mistelroum

Given this squad and the premise of getting back to the top, I wouldn't be able to keep many. If we could sell them at a reasonable price and replace them, then I'd sell most of the squad (of course we can't in reality).

I would keep:

Hojlund
Garnacho
Mainoo
Varane
Bruno
Case if he can get fit as a squad player
Martinez
Shaw

And that's it.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Onana (For now), Bayindir, Shaw, Malacia, Martinez, Varane, Evans, Casemiro, Mount, Bruno, Mainoo, Garnacho, Rashford, Amad, Hojlund.

Youngsters like Gore as well of course. Rash, Casemiro, Shaw & Varane are welcome to leave if big offers come in.

The rest can go in the bin, and that would only be a start really. There are some being kept such as Onana & Mount simply because they've barely come in the door.

Shiteshow.
Pretty much this but don’t need a big offer for Rashford.. £30m-£40m would do. One, his wages are about £18m/year and two, his attitude and the need for the club to have a clean break from this type of player.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
This is not football manager and I really tried to take that into account. Still, I have found many players who are not good enough and I would sell or let go. However, some of them are players who are out on loan today.

I would keep:

Heaton: As 3rd goalkeeper. Because he is experienced and can teach younger goalkeepers something.

Maguire: He has been our best defender this season. He has been really good and deserves another chance.

Varane: If he is content to be back-up to Maguire and Martinez, who I see as first choice.

Evans: As 5th choice in centre-back. He has surprised me and deserves one more season.

Eriksen: If he is happy to be a back-up next season (as 3rd or 4th choice to the two midfielders). Creative, calm, does not panic under pressure.

Højlund: Still young and deserves another chance to adapt to the league and the team.

Greenwood: He hasn't been convicted of anything, so I would take him back. We really need a goalscorer and he will be our best finisher.

Casemiro: He looked really bad before his injury and I fear he is finished at this level. But at the same time, he has won so much that he can be important for the team routinely. I hope he will come back to the same form as last season.

Amad: He has been injured all season, but showed good pace last season when he was on loan.

Reguilon: Not our player. But otherwise a good back-up for Shaw. If United buy him, I would feel fine.

Mount: He won't be sold. I know. But I'm not a fan of him at all and I've never understood why he went to United in the first place.

I was with you until McT, Eriksen.

Nogbadthebad

Scot is worth keeping if he is prepared to be a squad player who comes on up front when we need a plan B. He is not a midfielder, and if he wants to be one it should be somewhere else.

The hangabouts like Martial, Sancho need to go, Antony will never be good enough for a team that wants to win things, Erikson has a great story but he is just too limited to be useful now, although sadly he is still probably the best passer in the team.

Marcus needs competition, he gets too complacent, as we saw last year, put him under pressure and he is our best player, he can do that again. Pick a position for Bruno and keep him there, build the midfiled to support him, which means Mainoo and a Casemiro replacement. I'd stick with Casemiro for now though, bring in another younger guy to work with him and Mainoo, they can learn from him and build a midfield partnership.

Rasmus has potential, but he cannot be the guy we rely on for goals. It will destroy him before he gets anywhere. So he stays if we get a prime striker in as outr main man.

I'd get rid of Onana, whatever we need, he is not it and never will be.

led_scholes

Players that I m OK being starters next year:
Onana
Martinez
Mainoo
Dalot
Bruno
Hojilund
Garnacho
Mount (needs a chance)

Players that can be retained as backups

Malacia
Lindelof

Players that depending on the offer could be sold (if there is one)

Varane (I like him but injury prone)
Casemiro (injury most likely will affect him)
AWB
Antony (he is never a 80m winger but he is better than the other options now)

Players that we should actively try to sell:

Rashford (few good months every 2 years)
Sancho
Shaw (weak mentality and fitness issues)
Mct
Maguire (good season for his standards but still not enough)

United Hobbit

Hojlund
Shaw
AWB (as back up)
Varane
Martinez
Garnacho
Mainoo
Kambwala

I'd be open to the retention of Maguire and Evans as back ups, however both should not be starting

Maybe Bruno as a bench option, due to his excellent injury record - he's always available which is more than can be said for almost everyone else

I must say I couldn't care less about the rest, I'm finding the squad very dislikeable (again).

I feel we definitely need to jettison the following

Onana (he may come good but he makes me nervous every time the ball goes near him, we definitely needed to "upgrade" on Dave but this guy is giving me major doubts)

Antony
McT (if we are to play him, it must only be in the striker position)
Martial

PoTMS

If it was up to me, I'd rip the whole squad up. Keep Martinez, Mainoo, Garnacho and Højlund. Everyone should be the first items on a yard sale.

JimiboyX

Definitely keep: Shaw, Bruno, Martinez, Garnacho
Keep for now and give them time: Onana, Mainoo, Pellistri, Hannibal, Hojlund, Malacia, Diallo, Kambwala
Keep as back-up because there are bigger issues in the next few years: Lindelof, Dalot, Bayindir

Get rid ASAP and accept a loss on the fee paid: Antony, Sancho, VDB, Martial, Maguire
Get rid because they're old, expensive and knackered: Varane, Casemiro, Eriksen
Cash in next time they randomly hit form: Rashford
Get rid as soon as the squad is deep enough for this to be feasible: McTominay, AWB, Evans
Let the loans run out: Regullion, Amrabat
I honestly don't have a clue: Mount

Cole9

I do not know anything about that, but I trust you - it made you forget the 30 goals Rashford scored in 56 games last season.
A purple patch, wedged in between a season when he scored 5 goals in 32 games, and this season where he has 3 goals in 24 games so far.

His attitude on the pitch stinks and he’s not good enough to be a regular starter for United. I’d like to be proven wrong though.

When he’s not playing well or scoring he regularly puts in 3/4 out of 10 performances. It’s not good enough.

RedIan

Id make whole sale changes.
Its quicker to say who should go.

Mctominay - should have gone in the summer. Not good enough.
Rashford - time to cash in, far to inconsistent, at times lazy. Time for a fresh start.
Maguire, hes been decent since he came back but to slow and ponderous
Martial, waste of space.
Casamiro, was great last season but age is creeping up on him.
Anthony, hes been a huge expensive mistake.
VDB wasting his time here.
Amrabat, get rid when his loan is up. A couple of games hes been superb but to slow for a combative 6.
AWB has great games but sometimes doesnt look arsed, jogging when he should sprint.

Bruno, id get rid but only if we can replace with a top number 10. Id love Maddison.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Everyone 21 and under.
The backup GKs.
Bruno
Mount
Shaw
Martinez
Dalot

Cash in if possible, otherwise keep: Varane, Cas, Rash, AWB, Maguire, McTom, Malacia, Lindleof

Get rid of the rest any which way.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Most of them as we would probably sell at a loss and may adversely affects our FFP, so probably keep all of them, except Mctominay maybe.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Martinez
Shaw
Malacia
Kambwala
Varane (As a backup as we need his leadership and experience)
Gore
Mejbri
Mainoo
Casemiro (We need his leadership and experience)
Mount (Still think he will come good)
Diallo
Garnacho
Hojilund

I'm torn on Bruno - on one hand he's a great player when on form but on the other he's restricting a more possession oriented team style with his high risk approach.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Onana
Shaw
AWB
Martinez
Casemiro
Mount
Mainoo
Gore
Rashford
Garnacho
Hojlund
Amad
Hannibal
Malacia
Kambwala

lex talionis

Keep for what exactly... a top four finish next season? Then I'd keep all but Antony (shit), Sancho (so he can fully devote himself to mastering XBox games), McTominay (surely he can be flogged off to Celtic or Rangers) and Eriksen (legs gone) and bring in a proper striker and a medical staff who can do a proper job to prevent all these mysterious muscle injuries.

But if we're looking to build a PL challenger in two seasons we need to strip the club down to the bone keeping only our promising young players and Martinez.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Hopefully a case of the darkest hour being before the dawn. It can’t get much worse than this. It’s a really confusing mess right now. I’d keep anyone u21 and then if anyone else wanted to go or wasn’t happy here including Bruno Shaw Rashford etc I’d happily sell any of them and start again with talented young players who give a shit and want to play for each other

CallyRed

Sad that this thread has become an occurrence each season

JimiboyX

Hopefully a case of the darkest hour being before the dawn. It can’t get much worse than this. It’s a really confusing mess right now. I’d keep anyone u21 and then if anyone else wanted to go or wasn’t happy here including Bruno Shaw Rashford etc I’d happily sell any of them and start again with talented young players who give a shit and want to play for each other
I think people seriously underestimate how insanely difficult, arduous and downright risky a complete rebuild with young players would be.

Wing Attack Plan R

Sell to sell , or sell and replace?

Most of our team is okay, not great, and that’s why we are a midtable club. If we want to be challengers, very few make the grade, either through aging out or inability.

Auwiedersehen to:

Malacia - waste of money. Not good enough for the PL.

Amrabat - decent loan backup but probably not skilled enough to perform in this side as requested.

Dalot
Lindelof
Maguire
AWB
These defenders aren’t good enough. Either they can defend but not attack (AWB), attack but not defend (Dalot), or they are too far gone in a different style of play and are not good enough to play in the dream EtH way (Maguire, Lindelof). I’d keep Shaw, Reguilon, Varane, Martinez.

Hannibal needs to go on loan.

Antony is a bust.
Onana is a bust.
We overpaid on both, and both have failed to deliver the performances required. They tried: it didn’t work out.

Rashford reassess at the end of the season. We gave him a fat new contract so he’s not going anywhere anytime soon.

Aging out of being reliable/uninjured but still good players: Eriksen, Casemiro, Evans. We should be looking at replacements because of age not ability. Or we figure out a way to play them every third game.

Martial - let’s just call it a day on this one.

Beek - same

McT - fine with him as a squad option as long as he’s not a starter.

So after £400 m we still need a striker, winger, CDM, RB, CB, keeper.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
A bit unrealistic but this is what I would do:

Keep:
Onana (give him a chance in a stable team), Bayandir, Heaton
Dalot, AWB
Shaw, Malacia
Martinez, VNL
Mainoo, Eriksen (1 year), Mount
Hojlund, Garnacho, Amad

Keep but sell if a good bid arrives:
Bruno (50m), Rashford (70m), Antony (40m)

Loan:
Mjebri, Gore, Kambwala

Sell/Release:

Varane (unreliable fitness and on too much money, keep if he accepts a lower contract), Casemiro (same as Varane), Sancho, Martial, McT, Maguire, Pellistri, Fernandez (I rate him but I don't think the club does), Evans, Williams.

Sign:

Tobido, Braithwaite, Zubimendi, Thuram, Kubo and Solanke

GK:
Onana, Bayandir, Heaton
RB:
AWB, Dalot
LB:
Shaw, Malacia
CB:
Lisandro, Tobido, Braithwaite, VNL
CM:
Zubimendi, Thuram, Mainoo, Eriksen, Mount, Bruno
Forwards:
Rashford, Garnacho, Hojlund, Kubo, Solanke, Amad, Antony

Where do I apply for the DoF role?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Except Bruno, Martinez, Evans, and the youths (Garnacho, Mainoo, and Amad), I don't rate or have emotional attachment for the rest to be sold.

Eriksen is a maybe. Kinda admire the guy's story, and mixed with his quality.

Ollie Derbyshire

If we‘re talking hypothetically who 100% I’d keep based on ability, attitude and mental strength, then these ones;

…………………………..…GK (New)
RB (New)….RCB (New)…Martinez….LB (New)
………………….Casemiro…….Mainoo
……Garnacho………..Bruno……….LW (New)
……………………..…..Striker (New)

RB- AWB is too lazy, cant watch his pathetic efforts at running back anymore, Dalot as a bench option
RCB- I’d keep Varane if not for his repeated injuries
LB- Shaw for me has the ability but not the right attitude or mental strength
CDM- I’d like Mainoo to learn from Casemiro for one year
LW- Sancho/Antony can just go, massive flops, Rashford doesn’t have the right attitude anymore to be a first 11 player
Striker- We need a seasoned goal scorer so Hojlund can build into the team

Keep for Bench Options
Dalot - I like his attitude but he hasn’t improved his crossing at all
Mount - Would give him more time
Rashford - Would use as impact sub with specific instructions, I like he’s a local lad but his attitude sticks currently
Amad - Would like to see more of him
Hojlund - Used as an impact sub to hone his skills
Greenwood - I’m on the fence with this lad tbh, if handled correctly by the club he could be brought back but he’d have to show he’s in it for the club and ready to be more mature and work with community groups etc etc, each day I could easily change my opinion on him

Get rid off
Onana - Too many errors and passing slows us down
AWB - Far to lazy when out of possession
Varane - To injury prone
Maguire - Too slow and not off required ability
Evans - Too old
Lindelof - see Maguire
Shaw - Has all the ability but his attitude isn’t right for me , I may be wrong
Malacia - Not shown enough but may keep for bench option
Amrabat - Not shown enough and too slow
McTominay - Not good enough in midfield
Eriksen - Too slow in both speed of legs and decision making
VDB - Not shown enough and Needs to leave for his own good
Sancho - Not good enough attitude
Antony - Not good enough ability
Pelestri - Not good enough ability
Martial - Injury prone plus poor attitude

SonOfFergie

Players that I m OK being starters next year:
Onana
Martinez
Mainoo
Dalot
Bruno
Hojilund
Garnacho
Mount (needs a chance)

Players that can be retained as backups

Malacia
Lindelof

Players that depending on the offer could be sold (if there is one)

Varane (I like him but injury prone)
Casemiro (injury most likely will affect him)
AWB
Antony (he is never a 80m winger but he is better than the other options now)

Players that we should actively try to sell:

Rashford (few good months every 2 years)
Sancho
Shaw (weak mentality and fitness issues)
Mct
Maguire (good season for his standards but still not enough)
Good list I would mostly agree with it. We still need upgrade on Dalot. Also Bruno in a year or two. Get a good backup for Shaw and keep him. Maguire keep as backup. Usefull when under siege.

Sell Varane, Casemiro, AWB, Antony, Rashford, Sancho, McT.

antsmithmk

Hates women.

I would keep:

I can’t argue with any of that. Seems a balanced take on things considering it’s not actually going to be possible to ship the lot out.