g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

So would you keep Smalling?

Clermontois

Supports
France
Always said Bailly and Smalling were our best defenders and posters gave all kinds of joke replies. Those two should be starting with Lindelof as back up.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Always said Bailly and Smalling were our best defenders and posters gave all kinds of joke replies. Those two should be starting with Lindelof as back up.
Bailly is incredibly inconsistent. On his day he's great. He probably 'should' be our best defender as he's the one that has all the tools. But even when he's fit he tends to have an absolute shocker every second or third game. Maybe if he weren't so injury prone he would have played enough games to eventually grow past that, but that simply hasn't happened. I still don't necessarily disagree with giving him another shot at being first choice, but I wouldn't be very hopeful.

Smalling yes. He's always been our best defender at actually defending. He's shit on the ball and that might be even more of a problem now that he'd be playing next to AWB, but he's the only one we have with the pace to partner Maguire who can stay fit. It's probably too late now though as he seems to be out the door.

united for life

I think Smalling might actually be the best CB we currently have in this squad. Way better than Lindelof at least!

Bobski

Smalling should have been tried last year with Maguire but it appears he wants to go. Why Utd have invested so much faith in a nothing player like Lindelof is beyond me, for all the flaws you could see the upside in guys like Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Bailly. Lindelof, not so much.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's not too late to keep Smalling.

Why on earth do we think Lindelof is the better option?! I really don't get it at all.

If not Smalling, bring someone in, but when you have a better partner for Maguire on the books already, and will only get 12-15m, why on earth ditch him?!

Red_Orchestra

He's been our best defender ever since Vidic left.
I'd choose Smalling to start day in and day out over any of our current center backs.
A Smalling & Maguire center back partnership would be a lot more stable.