Social Media Boycotts by Football Clubs

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Swansea have done it, Jordan Henderson has done it, now Rangers have done it. Have to say I’m pleased that this seems to be gaining traction, not only as a temporary stand against racism, but as a reminder that Twitter is a cesspit and clubs should feel able to just nope out of these platforms permanently if they’re full of twats. You wouldn’t see an official Manchester United 4Chan account, would you? So why not pack it in when Twitter has just as many toxic people ready to racially abuse your players after every dropped point.

Hopefully we follow suit, even if it is just for a week, but we all know Ed loves his follower count. We’ll see.

Cloud7

We definitely should do it, however United relies a lot on its brand, since our on field success has dried up, and I feel like we rely a lot on playing off of how popular we are to keep the money flowing in. Even if it’s for a short period of time the powers that be might be unwilling to do so. Might be wrong and my entire theory is nonsense of course.

Sylar

Hate to say it but These social media companies don't care about racism and accounts being created for it as it generates more activity and clicks and such (not too sure how it's measured)

I reckon if a whole mass of clubs and their players do it, and it starts gaining attention especially in the media, the companies will be under more scrutiny to fix the underlying issues

So why not pack it in
'Building a profile' is the most prized thing in sports PR and marketing right now. A social media presence is key to that.

It's not only important for developing brand/sponsorship opportunities...it's a key part of almost every modern contract negotiation - especially for the more high profile players. You'll have agents and managers pointing to a players followers, mentions, interactions, sticky content produced, successful branding etc. as much as they'll point to their goals and assists figures.

A huge number of people, across a huge number of industries - including me - are actively profiting off sportspeople being on Twitter...or at least appearing to be on Twitter.

If it's any comfort, 90% of active players 'on' social media don't even know their Twitter password, never mind the idea that they're actively checking or replying to their mentions. And that's a very conservative estimate.

He'sRaldo

I think a boycott would be more effective if they boycotted one social media site for another. It's effectively saying "I won't give you money till you shape up, and until then this other guy gets the money you would have gotten".

That would make more of an impact for money-driven sites like Twitter, the only problem though is the lack of an "other guy".

MadMike

You wouldn’t see an official Manchester United 4Chan account, would you?
Just fyi, 4Chan doesn't have accounts at all, never mind official ones. There's simply no way to create one. It's all anonymous posting with just a captcha to prevent bots.

Drawfull

We definitely should do it, however United relies a lot on its brand, since our on field success has dried up, and I feel like we rely a lot on playing off of how popular we are to keep the money flowing in. Even if it’s for a short period of time the powers that be might be unwilling to do so. Might be wrong and my entire theory is nonsense of course.
I'd guess that i f we do it, it'll gain more traction for us that if we didn't. feck racism.

SER19

Swansea have done it, Jordan Henderson has done it, now Rangers have done it. Have to say I’m pleased that this seems to be gaining traction, not only as a temporary stand against racism, but as a reminder that Twitter is a cesspit and clubs should feel able to just nope out of these platforms permanently if they’re full of twats. You wouldn’t see an official Manchester United 4Chan account, would you? So why not pack it in when Twitter has just as many toxic people ready to racially abuse your players after every dropped point.

Hopefully we follow suit, even if it is just for a week, but we all know Ed loves his follower count. We’ll see.
Fingers crossed its the early stirrings of most people doing it. Spouting every inane half formed shite on twitter as a bloody adult with a life, while hardly able to say good morning to your neighbor. Cess pit

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Just fyi, 4Chan doesn't have accounts at all, never mind official ones. There's simply no way to create one. It's all anonymous posting with just a captcha to prevent bots.
Woodward is looking for a head of shitposting

Baxter

Could maybe take Rangers more seriously if they didn’t release Orange kits. Zero self awareness, and a club that’s happy enough to play up to the sectarian bigotry when it suits.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Premier league clubs are going to discuss a league-wide boycott during their meetup next week.