Solkjaer's attitude towards the title race

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
After the win against Fulham he said this:

It is always going to be talked about that when you are halfway through and top of the league but we are not thinking about this, we just have to go one game at a time. It is such an unpredictable season.
Top of the league in late January and he says he and his team aren't even thinking about it. This isn't the first time he's played down the team's chances in the media in last two months. I think he's forgetting what team he's managing, this isn't one of Fergie's great teams, it's a team that has basically won nothing. I don't think this is the way to encourage them.

Sure, we know that this team shouldn't be anywhere near the top without COVID/weak rivals/penalties, but it's there for the taking this season. Did Ranieri win the league with Leicester by sending out the message "hold up lads, don't get ahead of yourselves, you're actually a bunch of Championship cloggers and this is an unpredictable season"? No way he was decked out in cheerleading outfit egging them on, spreading positivity, kinda what Solkjaer was doing initially before becoming a glummy mummy ipad manager. His remarks aren't really that far off from Moyes telling his Sunderland squad that they'll be in a relegation struggle. It kinda showcases why this United side won't win anything under this defeatist manager. It's a shame that he wasn't binned off earlier this season as I think a Poch type manager would have put his arms around the players and say that he believes in them, let's go out there and win us some penalties.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You don't win the title by just telling people you're going to.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Top of the league in late January and he says he and his team aren't even thinking about it. This isn't the first time he's played down the team's chances in the media in last two months. I think he's forgetting what team he's managing, this isn't one of Fergie's great teams, it's a team that has basically won nothing. I don't think this is the way to encourage them.

Sure, we know that this team shouldn't be anywhere near the top without COVID/weak rivals/penalties, but it's there for the taking this season. Did Ranieri win the league with Leicester by sending out the message "hold up lads, don't get ahead of yourselves, you're actually a bunch of Championship cloggers and this is an unpredictable season"? No way he was decked out in cheerleading outfit egging them on, spreading positivity, kinda what Solkjaer was doing initially before becoming a glummy mummy ipad manager. His remarks aren't really that far off from Moyes telling his Sunderland squad that they'll be in a relegation struggle. It kinda showcases why this United side won't win anything under this defeatist manager. It's a shame that he wasn't binned off earlier this season as I think a Poch type manager would have put his arms around the players and say that he believes in them, let's go out there and win us some penalties.
Why are you talking out of your ass?

Penalties 20/21 - https://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/topErhalteneElfmeter/wettbewerb/GB1 - The distribution is fairly even. A whole 1 more than City, Liverpool and Chelsea

These types of posts piss me off because you're flat out misrepresenting things that goes on and fabricate lies to get your reactionary point across. You contribute nothing of value and lie and more lies..

Feed Me

I'm hungry

He was probably just being realistic. Why would he get ahead of himself and talk about a title race? That would just be pure silliness.

AshRK

He is right though, you don't talk about title race in January. He cannot speak emotionally like us fans or else he will be trolled even more.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

Agree with that part for sure.

RUCK4444

I think he knows all too well that these lads are a fragile bunch, the moment he says he expects to win a title he fears the pressure will kill them.

We desperately need some leaders in the team, there is not an ounce of character and leadership on the pitch other than Bruno

LOLZ at the Poch mention who bottled the best chance Spurs had at the league.

JuriM

You free to have your idea of the situation, but I am 100% sure that all of Manchester United know our position in the table and the points. The way how they manage their team and team management and team motivating, it doesn't have to be or seem like you want to see, but it's still there and happening as we speak.

Bobski

A draw at Anfield and Arsenal is never really a bad result, but given the context of both teams missing key players and how hesitant Utd have been to commit they feel like missed opportunities.

There are no outstanding teams in the league this year, Liverpool are hamstrung by injuries, City are in a rebuild and flaky, Chelsea are a team with potential if the signings develop together but a fair bit off. It is a great opportunity to win the league, this Utd team are deeply flawed but it is still there for the taking , it might be earlier than Ole expected it, but the chance is there, go for it.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Why is OP still talking about someone whose managerial career ended years ago?

GBBQ

You can tell by his approach in these tougher games that he doesn't have the mindset needed to win the league.
He’s playing for top 4. He’s not gonna gamble on 3 points in big matches. Aim for a draw and hope to nick a winner.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is playing on top 4. Results in big games show that. His setup in every big game this season was to play on 0:0. And team show that on the pitch. In neither game we didn't push for a win in last 10 minutes.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
You can tell by his approach in these tougher games that he doesn't have the mindset needed to win the league.
Really? Are you saying he’s too pragmatic? Or too cowardly to put it in a more disingenuous way.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
...we're not good enough. Him saying we're going to win the league isn't going to make it so. I'll still stick by what I said before, we won't win anything major with this back 5.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Say what you want about Ole but when was the last time a team won the league without an obvious automatic starting striker? I think his pragmatism is justified.

Obviously I'd love us to win the league but I don't think our squad is good enough.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
It's a shame that he wasn't binned off earlier this season as I think a Poch type manager would have put his arms around the players and say that he believes in them, let's go out there and win us some penalties.
Poch isn't exactly the best example of a coach that doesn't make "loser" mentality comments himself.

Statue of Limitations

It is a sensible approach tbh - most managers would say the same, especially as we haven't won it for 7 years, you don't want to put unnecessary pressure.

Let's be real, not many of us expected to be in a title fight (and we very much are) and he was just managing expectations.

You can criticise Ole legitimately for a couple of things, his substitution timings for example, but this isn't one of them.
He has done so well, am proud of him.

Sick of how fickle people are on here, it's depressing - I honestly feel there are Man Utd "supporters" on here that were gutted we put a big string of results together, it's weird.

El Zoido

And last season? When our results were better than anyone in those games? Did he have a league winning mindset then?
Do people see what he’s up against? Anything less than winning EVERY game, and the knives are out. People want to know why he doesn’t rest x player? This is why. A Manchester United manager cannot afford to even draw a game. The fanbase goes nuclear if we’re not in 100% top form every single time. It’s infuriating for me only as a fan, I don’t know how the club isolates from it. Even Man City were in poor form at the start of the season, every team goes through ups and downs. The most tiring aspect of supporting United is having to listen to other fans spout reactionary garbage constantly, I just can’t wait until we’re allowed back in to the stadiums again so this noise can be drowned out a bit.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He’s playing for top 4. He’s not gonna gamble on 3 points in big matches. Aim for a draw and hope to nick a winner.
I feel like he thinks he can maybe win the league or challenge if he is careful and relies on swift counters for every trickier game. But I also think that's naieve.
Really? Are you saying he’s too pragmatic? Or too cowardly to put it in a more disingenuous way.
I don't think he's cowardly but he's definitely too cautious in the tougher games. 100% too cautious. Never really takes the game to the teams unless they're bottom half fodder.
And last season? When our results were better than anyone in those games? Did he have a league winning mindset then?
No. His issue is he has the same approaches to last season. Counter attack surprised teams then but it doesn't now. That's why specifically Chelsea, City and Liverpool were smart to it and focused on being more compact.

He sets up the same way to play Liverpool to Arsenal to City. He's cautious, the outlook is evidently to create on a break and hope we surprise them with a blow. We never take the game to the opponent in the top 6 it seems. I mean there was a lot of propaganda of how far we came in the Liverpool game, but both fixtures (this and last season) were draws with 30ish% possession.

It surprised teams last season so it worked. It obviously doesn't work now. Spurs Arsenal Leicester City Chelsea Liverpool and now Arsenal again have all been flat performances on our side. He's far too cautious in these games.

Do people see what he’s up against? Anything less than winning EVERY game, and the knives are out. People want to know why he doesn’t rest x player? This is why. A Manchester United manager cannot afford to even draw a game. The fanbase goes nuclear if we’re not in 100% top form every single time. It’s infuriating for me only as a fan, I don’t know how the club isolates from it. Even Man City were in poor form at the start of the season, every team goes through ups and downs. The most tiring aspect of supporting United is having to listen to other fans spout reactionary garbage constantly, I just can’t wait until we’re allowed back in to the stadiums again so this noise can be drowned out a bit.
No. Read above and cut out the hyperbole. No knives are out here. It's just an observation. I've critiqued him, not blown up his house.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
It's nonsense.

Nobody talks themselves up as title winners especially not in January.
Even more simplistic than that, Ole is not insane. He probably knows we ain’t good enough to challenge for the title. We’re second (soon to be third) in a freak season. The underlying signals tell us this isn’t a particularly good side.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Another rubbish fecking thread. Thought that cartwheel fella would’ve been behind this.

Redfrog

I think he knows all too well that these lads are a fragile bunch, the moment he says he expects to win a title he fears the pressure will kill them.

We desperately need some leaders in the team, there is not an ounce of character and leadership on the pitch other than Bruno

LOLZ at the Poch mention who bottled the best chance Spurs had at the league.
More then leadership we need quality in attack. We have 3 players virtually playing evey games. Martial, Cavani, Rashford. Just look at how many they scored in the league. They are so good that Pogba is doing a job there for every game since a while.
Martial has scored one or two in the league and Cavani is 33. That's a joke. They will perform better with competition. If not, the good thing with having a team full of quality is they can sit on the bench and understand they need to perform to play.
Cavani was free, Donny was a bench option so this year we did not buy a single player to boost our first 11 options...that is sad for a club as big as ours.

OLLY ORANGE

Ole will be content with top four. His tactics and results against top six opposition when they have major players missing is where he has cost this group of players a real chance of doing something in a strange season. Way to respectful in the last month to Arsenal, Pool and Chelsea and all because of the spurs result at OT.
I'm not overly confident that top 4 is a cert with Ole in control.

Idxomer

Your previous efforts were better but I agree with the general gist, Ole the manager isn't a winner.

Red00012

If you are creating a thread at least spell the name of the manager right

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I don't think he's cowardly but he's definitely too cautious in the tougher games. 100% too cautious. Never really takes the game to the teams unless they're bottom half fodder.
Titles have been won with pragmatism when it suits. This team is not City/Pool, where you can throw the kitchen sink at teams and blow them away, Ole knows that.

MattyLT

What exactly is a "Poch type manager"? I mean, other than Poch...