Solksjaer's press conferenence - City at home

Dante

Average bang
Solskjaer on United's direction
"Yes, I feel we're getting better and better and looking more like a United team that I want with fast attackers, dynamic.
"We've got good players and individual quality that can create magic out of nothing, that's always been at United but we can see more of the penetration and consistency everyone says we don't have.
"We've won our last four in the league which has become a good run and hopefully that continues."

Solskjaer on squad reaction to setbacks
"I think every player is the same. Any player that plays football should be disappointed when you lose a game.
"They want to bounce back and win the next one. We've handled set backs well, during games and before the next game. You need to analyse what went wrong.
"It's important not to press the panic button because you can't win every game. Some games will hurt more than others and have more consequences than others. We're facing the reality of no Champions League and we move on. We need to get back into the Champions League by improving."

Solskjaer on Champions League group and Europa League
"It's been a step up from last season with the Europa League, those six games have been great in testing levels because we played against two top teams, one in final and one in semi-final last year, we've learnt any small mistake will get punish, any margin can punish you, we were very close to going through in a very good group, that shows me a team moving forward from drawing to Colchester and barely beating Rochdale.
"We struggled to beat Astana, Partizan convincingly, we've taken steps from last year, a year back. Short-term learning is we still have a little bit of a way to go to of course compete and go and win the Champions League because that's our aim to win trophies and be contenders."

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
Solskjaer on Pogba
"I speak to my players on a daily basis and Paul's no different to anyone else.
"We speak in small groups and for me what was disappointing this week was us going out of the Champions League, players wanna go through in that and whatever anyone's representatives say can't really affect me, I've said what I wanted to say about that."

Dante

Average bang
Solskjaer on De Gea
"David's a top goalkeeper and rightly on the lists of best GK in Europe, he's handled criticism and setbacks before, he's a man that we really rely on and hopefully he's not affected by criticism and I don't think he will be.
"Every goal a goalkeeper concedes you'll be disappointed with."

Dante

Average bang
Solskjaer on injuries
"Of course, we were disappointed on Tuesday night, it's natural, we really wanted to go through, reality is not, we got to move on. It was a tight group decided by fine margins, you can see that in most games.
"It was a long travel back, so we had a day of recovery on Wednesday and after that the focus has been good, focus on this game, Manchester derby, probably the best game you can ask for after such a disappointment because it does stick in your system.
"Anthony will definitely be involved, Edinson has been on the grass but I'll make a decision later."

Dante

Average bang
Solskjaer on United's defence
"There's loads of things we can do better, defend better from the front, we've scored quite a few goals in those 10 games, that's nature of Manchester United, many many goals.
"We want to defend maybe higher up, we got pegged back during midweek and they scored from crosses, which was disappointing."

Dante

Average bang
Solskjaer sets target for City game
"Start quickly is one thing but start good, you can start quickly, we wanna get on the front foot straightaway, goals impact games and when you get the first goal it's easier.
That's something we want to get to in this game, we've done well against City in the last few games against them early on, then again it's a 90-min game but we want to get a good start."

Judas

Open to offers
I’d rather he said nothing than some of the stuff he’s said which isn’t the best way to feel :lol: I hate the spinning of crashing out of the CL as any kind of progress.

Withnail

Solskjaer on De Gea
"David's a top goalkeeper and rightly on the lists of best GK in Europe, he's handled criticism and setbacks before, he's a man that we really rely on and hopefully he's not affected by criticism and I don't think he will be.
Not dropping him this weekend then.

I reckon he'll have to soon enough.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
To be fair, there's nothing he can say that won't be seen as irritating. It is just the nature of his position right now.

Greck

"It's been a step up from last season with the Europa League, those six games have been great in testing levels because we played against two top teams, one in final and one in semi-final last year, we've learnt any small mistake will get punish, any margin can punish you, we were very close to going through in a very good group, that shows me a team moving forward from drawing to Colchester and barely beating Rochdale.
"We struggled to beat Astana, Partizan convincingly, we've taken steps from last year, a year back
. Short-term learning is we still have a little bit of a way to go to of course compete and go and win the Champions League because that's our aim to win trophies and be contenders."
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Uniquim

:houllier: but we would be through if we'd beaten Istanbul Basaksehir.

and close going through to the CL knockouts is never a positive. We should always be getting into the knockouts.

I get that he wants to accentuate the positives, but... even if it's somehow progress, it's still not good for a club of United's size.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
As long as he wants to be here DDG will always be a mainstay in the side, under Ole or anyone else.

Withnail

I've got Pogba in my lineup for Saturday.

That isn't to say I want him to start though.
I was talking about De Gea.

Based on how Pogba played when he came on he probably should start. Whether he'll replicate that or not is a different matter but he should be up for a game against City.

Withnail

He was always going to say something like that. Doesn't necessarily mean he's not going to drop him for a bit.
I know he's always going to say that but then I don't expect him to drop DDG against City anyway.

He'd have to start throwing the ball in every other game again, I think.

NJM78

Mentioning Astana, Colchester etc... Ole really does himself no favours. Our previous managers would be vilified for chatting so much shit.

RedDevil@84

Feels like Jose presser threads of caf.
Caf experts dissecting each word and sentence saying he should not have said this and should have said that. We want to hear that and this.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
What was the need of Rochdale and Colchester here ? Don't know but I just feel like he is looking for reasons. Both RBL and PSG were there for taking . We just didn't do it. Accept it and move on.

arthurka

He is pretty out of it to say the least. Shocking shit from the one man that looks content these days.

tomaldinho1

To be fair, there's nothing he can say that won't be seen as irritating. It is just the nature of his position right now.
I think he honestly just needs a sensible PR guy - I don't get why he's gone out of his way to try to 'prove' progression. Bringing up Rochdale and Colchester and then comparing them to RBL and PSG is just bizarre.

It's worth watching the presser though as he does say a fair bit more than what's written here about being disappointed and it 'sticking in your system'.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think he honestly just needs a sensible PR guy - I don't get why he's gone out of his way to try to 'prove' progression. Bringing up Rochdale and Colchester and then comparing them to RBL and PSG is just bizarre.

It's worth watching the presser though as he does say a fair bit more than what's written here about being disappointed and it 'sticking in your system'.
He's a salesman with nothing to sell. There's nothing he will say that won't get one group or another upset. People have to just stop taking what he says seriously.

el3mel

"We struggled to beat Astana, Partizan convincingly, we've taken steps from last year, a year back. Short-term learning is we still have a little bit of a way to go to of course compete and go and win the Champions League because that's our aim to win trophies and be contenders."
I'm done. Not reading any further after this.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Solskjaer on De Gea
This got boring a while back. David isn’t a ‘top goalkeeper’ in 2020 and literally no one has him on any kind of 'best GKs in Europe' list anymore. The bloke has been here long enough to earn a testimonial and still hasn't delivered a high class and consistent tournament in Europe for us, nor one for Spain. His fragile mentality gets exposed every time on the big stage. Any other club with any sort of ambition to win stuff would have seen his shortcomings years ago and phased him out. But here we are giving him a gigantic new deal, watching him make one costly mistake after another regularly and still to this day starting him every week despite having a readymade replacement on the bench.

So much faith in a keeper that has been an utter disappointment for the entire tenure under Ole. David and Ole is a classic case of Stockholm syndrome.

DRM

All standard responses, but at this stage I think no matter what he says it will always be construed as negative by our fans who don't believe in him anymore.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
I think he needs to bring up more players that are not doing well and throw them under a bus publically, it's the only way to be able to kick the players up their arses and win the league this year. He needs to freeze Pogba out of the team, and then sell him in Jan and get Dybala instead. Also he needs a better style of play, and philosophy that the team needs to fit into every week without so much rotation.

bsCallout

The response I hate is that we need to defend better from the front.

Dont try and put any RBL goals on anything other than that awful backline.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Solskjaer on De Gea
He's obviously not handled the criticism and setbacks that well considering we're asking the same questions that we have been since 2018.

Withnail

Hasnt Henderson played last 2 prem games? He'll be starting.
Henderson came on for De Gea when he got injured against Southampton and then started the following week against West ham after De Gea appeared to aggravate the injury against PSG.

He hasn't dropped De Gea for Henderson.