Solskjær press conference vs Aston Villa (A)

SirAnderson

Noticed it wasn't posted today.

Solskjaer press conference
United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has arrived ahead of a press conference via Zoom this morning.
Can't do a job like @Samid so here is the video.

Last edited:

SirAnderson

The fight for top four playing against a Villa side fighting for to avoid the drop

“I think they've shown since the lockdown that they can hold their own. They have been tight games, the games they've had. You can see that they have clearly worked on their shape and their counter attacks are one of the most powerful ones in the league. They spring quickly, so you've got to be ready for that and set plays, good deliveries and good first contact players. And of course there are some individual players there.”

Last edited:

SirAnderson

David De Gea's development over the years and soon to overtake Peter Schmeichel in appearances

“Yeah. David as you say, he's had some fantastic seasons here now and next year is his 10th and I think he's proven Eric Steele right, that we believed in him. He had a little bit of a tough ride early on, with the physicality of football in England, but for me he has been the best goalkeeper in the world over the last nine or 10 years. And just to work with him closely, you see he's still keen to learn, he's still working hard. Richard [Hartis] coming in with Craig [Mawson] as the coaches, I think they've reignited a little bit of a spark in David and he's working really hard in training.”

Last edited:

SirAnderson

On facing Jack Grealish

“Well I think in the last game obviously they caused us some problems, both Grealish off the left and El Ghazi off the right. He [Grealish] caused us problems, he scored a fantastic goal, so there's been lots said and talked about him and we need to be aware of him. Whoever is close to him, if he's off the left, or he's in the middle, on the right, what he does is attract players to him and creates space for others. There's not just one player in that Villa team, there are many of them.”

SirAnderson

Nemanja Matic on mentoring Scott

“I think Scott obviously is still a young boy, seven or eight years younger than Nemanja and Nemanja has been on record saying that he sees himself in Scott, so the two can bounce off each other. It's never easy. I've told Nemanja before that Scott is going to play and he's all right, because he rates him and vice versa. I'm sure Scotty can learn a lot from Nemanja. The way he's gone about his job in the last few seasons here has been good.”

Last edited:

SirAnderson

On Manchester United needing to win all their games

“Yeah, I think so. You never know what is going to happen, but I think it looks… the teams around us are playing well. We just focus on this one, the next one. If we win every single one of them, we are in the top four. We cannot rely on help from anyone else, we just have to do it ourselves. That’s to grow as a team and know that going into next season we can put a different challenge to other teams in front of us.”

SirAnderson

On Bruno Fernandes is making his team-mates better players

“I think it’s gone both ways. I think Bruno has come into the club and seen how many good players there are at Man United. We’ve helped him show his attributes as well. I think it’s just been a good, little relationship blossoming that he can also feel that we’re going to help him improve. Definitely Bruno has come in and lifted everyone else as well, and it’s been a very good start so far.”

SirAnderson

On not replacing the changes in the No.9 position and trusting those at the club

“This isn’t a popularity contest, that’s for sure. I have to make decisions that I think are for the benefit of the club. The decisions we made last summer and in January, bringing players in, allowing players to move on. I think, in my mind they were always for the good of the club and the team, both in terms of giving youngsters a chance but also in terms of giving trust to the other ones, while also accepted some players had been great servants to the club. So, for me, I would still make the same decisions if I could go back 12 months or six months.”

SirAnderson

Unbeaten in 16 games now, how does that affect the whole group’s mentality?

“As a footballer you know you can’t just pick out your confidence from the fridge. You have to get it from what you do every day in training, but the results, they matter. The last 16 games unbeaten gives us more confidence, but 16 games is nowhere near where a Manchester United team should strive towards. We can still go many games unbeaten if we concentrate on the right things, if we focus on the next one, the next one, the next one and then suddenly you’re stood there with 16. Hopefully that can continue.”

Woodzy

‘I’ve got seven centre backs, and if I openly tell you 4 of them are shit then we are never going to sell them!’

Embargoed press conference late release

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Solskjær: "We do have a group that I feel can trust. They look after themselves, they stay together on Zoom calls and WhatsApp groups, and they demand of each other because if one or two let themselves down they let the team down." #mulive [mail]

Solskjær: "I feel very happy with the culture in that group [current #mufc squad]. They're good lads and they're not going to come back 15kg overweight because those days are over." #mulive [mail]

Solskjær: "We're not in a position to give the players the holiday they need and deserve. We'll probably have to give that during the season or next season." #mulive [mail]

Solskjær on Pogba possibly signing a new contract: "I can't comment on discussions between players and the club but of course we want to keep the best players." #mulive [sky]

Solskjær: "We want to build a squad for the future and Scott and Nemanja, they're in similar positions but in different stages of their careers - one at the start and one really experienced one. We also need players in that mid-range group." #mulive [sky]

Solskjær: "I know that since Paul [Pogba] came back from injury he's looking better and better. He's just enjoying his football and let's see where it takes us." #mulive [sky]

Solskjær: "I think I've proven to the club that I've always got the club at the front of my mind. I don't think short term or personally that this would fit me for a short space of time." #mulive [sky]

Solskjær: "There's got to be realism [about transfers]. I think the whole world has changed both financially and the perception that we've got on values. Every time I put the case in front of Ed I think it's a sensible one and it's a realistic one." #mulive [sky]

Solskjær: "I'll always think long term and try to make good deals. I'm always quite careful with money - my personal money as well." #mulive [sky]

#mufc have opened talks with Mino Raiola to extend Paul Pogba's contract #mulive [@FabrizioRomano]

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles

Solskjaer’s priority is Sancho, although United have made it clear they will not be held to ransom, with Dortmund thought to be holding out for at least £90m after initially putting a £115m price tag on the 20-year-old’s head.

Solskjaer has already hinted at a move for another striker and he was heard telling Nathan Ake that he needs a left-footed centre-half so to “keep going” after United’s 5-2 win over Bournemouth on Saturday. Solskjaer brushed off the incident on Wednesday but with United seeking buyers for Chris Smalling and Marcos Rojo, both of whom are on loan, in addition to Phil Jones this summer, the manager has a centre-back in his sights.

el3mel

Can't see Pogba leaving at the moment. The mentality and atmosphere around the club have been fantastic recently and he seems committed now, beside the market will be currently fecked up thanks to Coronavirus issue. Think he'll end up renewing.

Not that hopeful we'll get Sancho this summer though.