Solskjær press conference vs Red Bull (A)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Early team news
“David is travelling, Luke is travelling. Edinson and Anthony only minor niggles, but won’t be making the trip. “

Samid

United are confident
“We have shown great character to come from behind in all the away games [in the league this season]. RB Leipzig are great at home but we are confident.”
Maguire

Samid

Greenwood backed to shine after West Ham goal
“Mason is a very talented forward, one of the best I have worked with. He creates chances for himself and we have a great chance of scoring goals.

He will only improve with people around the team and it is exciting to work with him.”
Solskjaer

Samid

United's inconsistent form
“The inconsistency in terms of results, we’ve been good, so we’re not looking at them. We started well at Everton and Southampton but conceded at bad times.

We are working hard. Consistency has been a lot better of late. We feel ready, we are prepared.”
Maguire

Samid

Big game mentality
“Knockout games, or games like this, they are big. The players are here. They are United players because they have the qualities which we looked for.

These are the games we look forward to. We never make it easy for ourselves! We do make it hard for ourselves, that has been ever since I played.”
Solskjaer

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
United's inconsistent form
“The inconsistency in terms of results, we’ve been good, so we’re not looking at them. We started well at Everton and Southampton but conceded at bad times.

We are working hard. Consistency has been a lot better of late. We feel ready, we are prepared.”
Maguire
He's joking? Please tell me he's joking.

croadyman

Early team news
“David is travelling, Luke is travelling. Edinson and Anthony only minor niggles, but won’t be making the trip. “
So I presume that Ighalo will be the other striking option with Mason & Marcus then

Samid

Maguire relishing the match
“I joined this club to play in the biggest games possible. It is a statement which shows the big players turn up in the big games.

Similar to vs Leicester [in the last Premier League game of] last season when we had to win to be in the Champions League.”
Maguire

Samid

5-0 win vs RB Leipzig on matchday two important?
“You can’t ignore it. We remember it fondly, because we did many things right.

We have prepared well and we know RB Leipzig well enough to know they are unpredictable.”
Solskjaer

Samid

United confidence grows in big games
“The better opponents you play against, it will give you confidence. We have just got to do our job tomorrow first.”
Solskjaer

Samid

United playing to win despite draw being enough to qualify
“You have got to approach the game, anything can happen. You can’t sit back an hope for a nil-nil draw. That is not in our genes. We showed vs PSG we wanted to win, we will do it again.”
Solskjaer

Samid

“We spoke about it this morning. We want to win the game. We go there and look to win, like we do in every game.”
Maguire

Samid

Solskjaer praises United's resoluteness after multiple comebacks
“I can definitely see those traits coming back and the belief coming back.“
Solskjaer

Samid

United's progress
“As players we feel that. From when I joined the progression has been steady and we are getting that more. The belief is a lot more than when I joined. I always believe we are going to score.”
Maguire

Samid

United's away record gives them boost
“It gives us confidence. I played in one vs Rapid Vienna when we won, so it has happened a lot in history. We didn’t expect to be through before the last game when we saw this group.

It is great for us knowing we never give up. We are just working hard to get into opponents’ heads that we never switch off.”
Solskjaer

Samid

The prospect of dropping into Europa League
“You play better teams with better players, that is just a fact. It is a challenge, one we want to be involved in, but we haven’t even thought about the Europa League.”
Maguire

“I have got to say the same. You want to play against the best to constantly improve. Last season we used the Europa League to give players game time when they weren’t playing, we don’t have that anymore. We are getting better and better. Better preparation, getting sharper.”
Solskjaer

Samid

United confident of qualification
“We expect to get through the group, no matter who is in our group. That is the tradition and as a group of players we fully expect to get through. We look forward to the game. All we can do is look after the performance.”
Maguire

tomaldinho1

Looking forward to it - they love to attack and they're at home, I don't think they'll be as naïve as the first game but should be a real cracker. We should win which probably means we'll get hammered :wenger:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I hope nobody is expecting another 5-0 match, but we've shown what we can do when we play to our best.

This will be a tough match no doubts about it, we need to be more clinical than we were against PSG.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
No Martial or Cavani. Greenwood and Rashford up top in a 3-5-2 then?

AndersB

So I presume that Ighalo will be the other striking option with Mason & Marcus then
No chance. That would be suicidal. Probably DDG; Shaw Maguire Lindelof; Telles, Bruno, Matic, McTominay, AWB; Rashford, Greenwood.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Winning 4 league games in a row. When was the last time we had that?
If you think that is consistency given how appalling we were in large phases of the games you really are looking at us through rose tinted spectacles.

In his defence I’d say his performances have gone largely unnoticed. He’s been pretty good since the Spurs game

Okey

I'm not surprised Cavani got injured. He made so many futile sprints trying to press/close down against West Ham. Seeing as we're not very good at a proper coordinated press, he would be well advised to moderate it going forward. Not the spring chicken anymore.

Strelok

“You have got to approach the game, anything can happen. You can’t sit back an hope for a nil-nil draw. That is not in our genes. We showed vs PSG we wanted to win, we will do it again.”
Solskjaer
Hmm I hope he was bluffing. We definitely should sit back and counter this match. They're shite against counter and they must win.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Of course we will be the team sitting back trying to break on the counter. That said, you have to make sure the players don't get to defensive. They need to press fairly high with high intensity. I don't know why, but i feel fairly certain we get what we need to get out of this game.

Walters_19_MuFc

No Cavani and Martial is a bit shit. To have that extra firepower to either start with or bring on would have been a massive advantage. That being said, I still think we'll have enough to unsettle Leipzig's back line.

Also, nice to have Shaw.

Gives Ole extra options, tactically.

Last edited: