Solskjær press conference vs Sheffield (A)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is speaking to the media ahead of tomorrow's Premier League clash against Sheffield United.

Samid

Solskjaer on Dean Henderson
Well it just shows how sometimes how beneficial some loan deals are, Dean has worked his way up through the ranks, through the system and the two years at Sheffield United, it's made him come back as a mature quality keeper, had experiences with a great promotion and his year in the Premier League was valuable for us and him.

He's made his England debut, he's learning more and more the Manchester United style, our play is a bit different, have a couple of different demands of him but we're very grateful to Sheffield United and Chris that they gave him a chance to develop as they did.

Samid

Solskjaer on Bilic sacking
Well I think these times in a pandemic and what has happened has made everyone sit back and think. I'm very sad to hear Slaven has lost his job, done great getting them promotion, I've known him years, sure he'll be back soon.

Hopefully more and more clubs think long-term, it's a long-term business, need short-term results but continuity is the key to success and patience.

Samid

Solskjaer on pressure
It's not a nice position to be in as a manager, you want your players to be playing with confidence, thinking and believing.

With Cardiff, it was a new experience, a learning experience and a valuable one, I didn't enjoy it with the results and relegation we got but as a manager you're one of very few if you're not gonna feel the pressure at one point.

I felt it and Chris, Slaven whoever feels that pressure are mentally strong enough because you have to be.

Samid

Solskjaer on playing away and return of fans
I think it just goes to show how important home fans are when you get them back again, it's not a cliché when we say they're our 12th man.

I can call Chris up and ask him to come to Carrington to play a friendly game, it's that feel to it, our fans are so so important and can't wait to get them back.

Samid

Solskjaer on Cavani fitness
We have to be mindful of little strains and niggles and decisions have to be made from kick-off of Sheffield United to kick-off at Arsenal, it's 15 times 24 hours, so it's gonna be very tight.

Edinson has done well in rehab, still have to make the decision if we should risk him, it is a little bit to risk him too early, I'd doubt him to be available to pick tomorrow.

(I have no idea what the first line means)

Samid

Solskjaer on fringe players
Yeah, Marcos [Rojo] has just felt a niggle in his calf again, he has worked really hard to come back, played for reserves, got a knock, worked hard again and hopefully he's back in January, Marcos.

Phil [Jones] should be ready by January and Sergio [Romero] has been training hard as well.

Giggs' right foot

Hahah him talking about Rojo and Jones being injured was funny. Just can’t say they’re irrelevant so have to make up an injury that conveniently ends in the January window for both of them. Ed, just give them away for free, please.

Samid

Solskjaer on unusual results
I think it's also a sign of the Premier League, the quality of the so-called lesser teams, no easy game in Premier League, then again the top teams the last few seasons have had knack of winning tight games instead of drawing them, with the tight schedule of around the world, players' lives, I think we will see throughout the season whoever gets a midweek rest might get an advantage, it's hard to have everyone 100% sharp.

Samid

Solskjaer on formation changes
What was the change in formation? It was a 4-2-3-1 and coming into that picket is probably Paul's favourite position, Paul did well, team's shape was as it normally is, twice we played three at the back, beat PSG, lost to Leipzig, played a full game with a diamond and two half games with a diamond.

Four out of 22 games isn't bad for consistency of a normal shape, some details change.

Samid

Hahah him talking about Rojo and Jones being injured was funny. Just can’t say they’re irrelevant so have to make up an injury that conveniently ends in the January window for both of them. Ed, just give them away for free, please.
Ed will give them all a new deal to preserve their value.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Yeah, Marcos [Rojo] has just felt a niggle in his calf again, he has worked really hard to come back, played for reserves, got a knock, worked hard again and hopefully he's back in January, Marcos.
:lol:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Solskjaer on playing away and return of fans
I think it just goes to show how important home fans are when you get them back again, it's not a cliché when we say they're our 12th man.

I can call Chris up and ask him to come to Carrington to play a friendly game, it's that feel to it, our fans are so so important and can't wait to get them back.
Who is 'Chris'?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Well I think these times in a pandemic and what has happened has made everyone sit back and think. I'm very sad to hear Slaven has lost his job, done great getting them promotion, I've known him years, sure he'll be back soon.

Hopefully more and more clubs think long-term, it's a long-term business, need short-term results but continuity is the key to success and patience.
Haha love the not so subtle hint to the board there Ole!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We have to be mindful of little strains and niggles and decisions have to be made from kick-off of Sheffield United to kick-off at Arsenal, it's 15 times 24 hours, so it's gonna be very tight.

Edinson has done well in rehab, still have to make the decision if we should risk him, it is a little bit to risk him too early, I'd doubt him to be available to pick tomorrow.

pretty sure Ole doesn't either. He's reached the stage where he just spouts nonsense

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

Yeah he would wish that, all he cares about is keep on collecting 9m a year. Once he's gone he will never see that kind of money ever again in his life.

stevoc

Solskjaer on fringe players

Phil [Jones] should be ready by January and Sergio [Romero] has been training hard as well.
Of what year though?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

Jesus this is cringe inducing. Football is a results business. You can’t afford to keep deadwood players and managers in the hope that they will come good. Unless you are Man United of course.

RedDevil@84

Jesus this is cringe inducing. Football is a results business. You can’t afford to keep deadwood players and managers in the hope that they will come good. Unless you are Man United of course.
Nothing to cringe there. It is a debatable topic. Constant manager merry go round doesn't benefit all clubs.
Football is a result business alright. But if the board thinks the team is on a path of progress and players are happy to be with the manager and believe in him, it is ok to give the managers time to set things right.

wolvored

You misheard

'We have to be mindful of little strains and niggles, and decisions have to be made,'

'From kick-off against Sheffield United to kick-off against Aston Villa (on January 1), it's 15 times 24 hours, so it's going to be very busy.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
pretty sure Ole doesn't either. He's reached the stage where he just spouts nonsense
Cavani is borderline ready from a musclestrain. Playing him too early is a risk, might be best to give him a couple more days rest. That is what Ole said.

arthurka

Nothing to cringe there. It is a debatable topic. Constant manager merry go round doesn't benefit all clubs.
Football is a result business alright. But if the board thinks the team is on a path of progress and players are happy to be with the manager and believe in him, it is ok to give the managers time to set things right.
Especially if Big Sam is next in line...

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers

An open plea to the board not to sack him if we stumble against Sheffield United.

With the vast amount of resources at hand for many of the top clubs (COVID or otherwise) and the prize money at stake, football has become more dependent on quick-fire results than it ever was in the last decade. Continuity doesn't bode well in a financial climate of intense capitalism. Ole needs to keep up with the times.

Eric's-collar

After last 2 nights results, it's a massive chance for us to move into top 4 and set us up for busy xmas & new year period.

reelworld

:lol:
And pretty sure the only reason he mentioned them just to remind other clubs that they're still available, 2 weeks before transfer window open

I don’t want compare OGS with SAF, but he would have said the same and was very supportive of other managers. What do you expect him to say “good, he deserves the sack”.

Red00012

No Cavani but hopefully we won’t need him. May do v Leeds though