Solskjær press conference vs Sheffield (H)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If a professional footballer can’t take constructive criticism when he’s clearly been a bit shite then what’s the point of any manager ever saying anything again. How does DDG know when he’s playing well if he can’t believe Ole now when he says he’s the best in the world ffs
If a fan can’t understand that constructive criticism happens on the training pitch and not at media conferences then he’s clearly at risk of having one of his posts referred to as an idiot.

Rafaeldagold

You really don't understand either what press conference are for or anything about managing people, do you?
No I’ve no idea. Please help me understand oh insightful one? Teach me the ways of the press conference & managing people. As obviously there’s only 1 true way which you alone know.

You clever person you

Rafaeldagold

Insulting another member
If a fan can’t understand that constructive criticism happens on the training pitch and not at media conferences then he’s clearly at risk of having one of his posts referred to as an idiot.
Yeh sure ole is saying it on the training pitch I’m sure. As DDG’s form in the last year has proven..

Oh wait maybe you’re the idiot?

DoomSlayer

If a professional footballer can’t take constructive criticism when he’s clearly been a bit shite then what’s the point of any manager ever saying anything again. How does DDG know when he’s playing well if he can’t believe Ole now when he says he’s the best in the world ffs
Constructive criticism is best kept inside the squad and coaching staff. It shows to all the players that the manager is backing them and won't throw them under the bus to absolve himself from bad performances or results, like a Mourinho would do.

What we need is the players themselves to start demanding better standards from each other, like a true top team always does. De Gea himself must know that as a senior player in the squad, otherwise he is not good enough for a team that wants to challenge on all fronts. We need leaders and Ole is showing that as a manager, he can be a leader, not just the "boss", but players need to take responsibility as well. That's why I love Bruno, he seems exactly that kind of player and I hope the likes of Pogba, Matic, Maguire provide that also.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yeh sure ole is saying it on the training pitch I’m sure. As DDG’s form in the last year has proven..

Oh wait maybe you’re the idiot?
:lol: I’ll park this one here

The Original

Ole is great at man management, that's for sure. I certainly hope that behind closed doors, De Gea is made aware by the coaching staff that his position is under threat, due to his performances in the last 2 years.
Ole literally said Henderson will be a Man Utd number 1 some day... Unless Henderson is content to be loaned about endlessly, that seems to send a strong message

Andy_Cole

Constructive criticism is best kept inside the squad and coaching staff. It shows to all the players that the manager is backing them and won't throw them under the bus to absolve himself from bad performances or results, like a Mourinho would do.

What we need is the players themselves to start demanding better standards from each other, like a true top team always does. De Gea himself must know that as a senior player in the squad, otherwise he is not good enough for a team that wants to challenge on all fronts. We need leaders and Ole is showing that as a manager, he can be a leader, not just the "boss", but players need to take responsibility as well. That's why I love Bruno, he seems exactly that kind of player and I hope the likes of Pogba, Matic, Maguire provide that also.
Yeh I remember giving the goalie shit when he let in a soft goal when I played 5 a side. Does this happen at United? We need players like Bruno who up the game of people around them.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I can't believe Solskjaer said De Gea is the best GK in the world instead of saying "He has been shit since I took over". I don't know how Ole can talk to his players with straight face after spouting so much nonsense. As we all know Press conference is the only way managers interact with players, if he said he is the best in the world then obviously that's what he thinks and says to De Gea face.

De Gea - Morning Ole
Ole - Morning best GK in the world.

DoomSlayer

Yeh I remember giving the goalie shit when he let in a soft goal when I played 5 a side. Does this happen at United? We need players like Bruno who up the game of people around them.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, mate. :lol:

romufc

I can't believe Solskjaer said De Gea is the best GK in the world instead of saying "He has been shit since I took over". I don't know how Ole can talk to his players with straight face after spouting so much nonsense. As we all know Press conference is the only way managers interact with players, if he said he is the best in the world then obviously that's what he thinks and says to De Gea face.

De Gea - Morning Ole
So it is easier to talk to his players by coming out to the media saying "David is rubbish, past it, he has no right to be at this club any longer"?

After the amount of great seasons he has had, you want Ole to publicly shame him? You would make a great Real Madrid supporter.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
So it is easier to talk to his players by coming out to the media saying "David is rubbish, past it, he has no right to be at this club any longer"?

After the amount of great seasons he has had, you want Ole to publicly shame him? You would make a great Real Madrid supporter.
Might need to have a look at the batteries in your sarcasm detector, mate. :lol:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

De Gea - Morning Ole
I'm just upset he made no mention of Greenwood after he missed that chance to win us the game at the end... "Mason's a good lad and all but if he misses difficult chances like that he will NEVER make it at this club, teenage wanker"

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It's obvious that Ole sees press conferences as little more than an inconvenience, and accordingly just fills them with the most harmless empty platitudes he can. The real management is to be done on the training field and in the dressing room, and the real talking on the pitch.

I'd much rather that approach than Mourinho's blend of whinging, chucking people under the bus, and putting himself over.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

:lol: Really?

I'm just upset he made no mention of Greenwood after he missed that chance to win us the game at the end... "Mason's a good lad and all but if he misses difficult chances like that he will NEVER make it at this club, teenage wanker"
Yeah I can't understand how Ole failed to mention that. I think Rashford was spared as he is about to become SIR,.

ReddBalls

No I’ve no idea. Please help me understand oh insightful one? Teach me the ways of the press conference & managing people. As obviously there’s only 1 true way which you alone know.

You clever person you
I don't need to. You have been told numerous times in this thread. And you clearly demonstrate that you know feck all.

steeeb

If he was critical of DDG it's be all over the news and he's have rumors of leaving every day for months again.

What he said was a public response which was correct.

What he says privately we will never know so not much point speculating.

SirAnderson

Sometimes I wish managers will select this option:

Calm
Assertive
Passionate
Aggressive

"We believe we can beat these lot, with our team and the quality we have, it will be a very tough match for them and I see us coming away with all 3 points."

:lol::lol:
If only.

He'sRaldo

If he was critical of DDG it's be all over the news and he's have rumors of leaving every day for months again.

And also, at this point it doesn't matter what he says, What's more important are his actions in ensuring that our goalkeeper doesn't cost us our minimum achievements for the season again.

Whether it's by dropping De Gea or somehow motivating him is not important, the results are the most important at this stage.

Zoo

Ole has consistently called De Gea the best in the world, no reason for him to take their bait and publicly say any different now. He’s very good with the media side of things.

Nuel

Most of the time, it's good to defend your players in public...to cover their errors.

You can still be positive without telling a blatant lie. Have a little bit of respect for the fans and media.

Ole could have simply ignored commenting on the actual error and just state that De gea is still a good/more than capable goalkeeper to guard our goalposts. He can even add that he trains to get better. I'm sure even Messi and Ronaldo train to get better.

But no need to say De gea is the best in the world when it's bright as day he isn't and hasn't been for 2 years now counting. It not only makes Ole look clueless, it makes loving fans concerned that their manager lacks good judgement.

Whatever the case is, we shouldn't pay much mind to press conferences. What happens during matches is evidence of what happens behind closed doors. Nevertheless, we do not always get to reap the good fruits of the work put in behind closed doors. I'm sure Ole wants and trains De gea to be better.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
It's obvious that Ole sees press conferences as little more than an inconvenience, and accordingly just fills them with the most harmless empty platitudes he can. The real management is to be done on the training field and in the dressing room, and the real talking on the pitch.

I'd much rather that approach than Mourinho's blend of whinging, chucking people under the bus, and putting himself over.
Press conferences are fairly important and all managers know that. What he says is reported far and wide and chewed over by every nook and cranny of the internet. He's just smart enough to know that speaking positively in public creates a positive atmosphere around the club. Something Jose struggled to grasp.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.

Exactly. Good man Ole. Who cares what he says to journo's, he's doing the right thing protecting De Gea, which i'm sure he'll appreciate. What he's saying to him in private we don't need to know.

This was the thing i hated about Mourinho, he would have thrown De Gea under the bus no problem, and for what? It just creates a toxic atmosphere around the club & demotivates the players.

Is that really what people want to see Ole become?

youngrell

No problem with Ole defending DDG in public like this, and on the face of things to only concede 2 goals in the last 7 is good going, but in reality those 2 goals cost us a win in both games and stopped us from having a 7 match winning streak, so it is less impressive than it sounds.

I still back DDG, though.

el3mel

Could have defended him without this "best keeper in the world" bollocks. Everyone and his dog know he's not anymore, including De Gea and Ole themselves.

Anyway it seems he won't be dropped any time soon unfortunately. Just hope the attack will score enough to cover for his mistakes.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

You clever person you
I'm not the person you refer to but I have my own employees so I'm qualified to answer this

Different personality types respond differently to different types of feedback. Some will be motived by criticism. Some will respond the way you want them to with o angry outbursts in limited quantities, aka. "putting a fire under someones backseat". Both of these can only happen in small amounts or you create a negative feedback loop where a player might start to think that everything he does is wrong, which severely affects motivation and confidence.

The vast majority of people respond to either calm constructive feedback - or my personal approach to all things management: Support.

Players who struggle tend to not struggle over something of their own making. They are well aware that they are not playing good enough. De Gea's role is a bit different than say Lingard because De Gea's role is fullfilled in split seconds where he either saves or he doesn't-. If he makes a mistake, no amount of yelling is going to teach De Gea that he can't make that mistake. He knows that. When you make mistakes you need (most of the time) positive reinforcement and a reason to be better. In this case Davids motivation is his teammates and his personal performance. Exceptions are cases like meeting the ball, attacking the ball on a corner, things lik that. But negative feedback on saves? That doesn't help anything.

In the example of Jesse Lingard: His role on the pitch is in a series of moments that can be recitfied with a good yelling because he has time to use the negative feedback to do something positive with it, chase a player, be aggreive on the ball, what have you.

The other aspect here is the dressingroom hairdryer: more often than not its used as a "Fire everyone up" tool when the performance just isn't there. Nothing more nothing less.

With regards to a press conference. Ask yourself this: What would be the purpose of Ole being negative? What does that achieve? The press conference is for you and for me. The ONLY reason for Ole to be negative from your point of view is fo you can feel valiation about being angry and justify that yelling at people is some how productive.

We had a manager here that took the negative route during press conferences, frequently singling out players for mistakes, blaming them publicly. I know that you can't imagine how stressful that is, but imagine your boss calling you out on live TV for a mistake you made and blame everything on your very public face. Then go out for a shopping trip after, wondering if any or how many of the people you pass by are thinking what a loser you are who can't even play a ball the right way. It's a team sport and somehow your contribution to your team and your teammates is SO BAD that the manager went out of his way to blame it all on you. Go to bed thinking about what mistakes you might make again, what chances you're never going to take again because you are lambasted in national media for not being good enough. That is exactly what happens when you call players out during press conferences. It achieves NOTHING. Sir Alex (almost*) never did. Ole (hopefully) never will. And thank god for that.

*Here is a link to an article about players that Sir Alex DID ciriticise either in public or media managed to sneak glimpses of private yellings: https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...manchester-united-news-alex-ferguson-11918367

As Sir Alex himself said: Criticising a player in public damages morale. It achieves nothing.

We already know from the players themselves that Ole is more than happy to use his outdoor mountaintop voice behind closed doors. We also know from the players that Ole's strength lies in man management. Whatever Dea Gea responds positively to, I'm more than confident that that is being handled behind closed doors.

I don't really care if De Gea gets yelled at or treated to a spa weekend. Whatever gets him out of his head and back on the pitch is what I want. Not yelling because "players should be able to take it".

tl;dr: Public criticism is always bad and shows lack of character. Publicly supporting your players and geting behind them even when its a storm shows leadership. Don't yell at people for yellings sake, chances are you will achieve less than what you started out with.

Grande

It would make me happier knowing he’s trying to improve our club yes.

I would be shocked if ole is actually behind closed doors realising there’s an issue and working on things with DDG & letting him know right now his form isn’t acceptable.

So oles words are rubbish, the results aren’t great & we’re scrambling for 5th really this season yet we can’t question his position. At what point can he be held accountable for his results & words?
Cat out of the bag there, innit? You weren’t really that interested in someone at the club calling De Gea worlds best keeper to the journalists, were you? To answer your real (disingenuousky rethorical) question: Probably not at a point were his results are showing a 12 game unbeaten streak.

Now, I should really have let this pass, as several other posters have told you what they thin about their reasoning. Like Solskjær doesn’t find it productive for De Gea to hear a thousand versions of ‘why are you so bad these days’, and try to dampen that torrent with some actual facts (like how horrid can the keeper with most cleen sheets in 2020 really have played lately?), I could hold back on piling up to call your posts in this thread ‘ill-informed and disingenuous drivel’.

But then again, I know you hate being pussyfooted around with.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Maybe He knows that a Keeper below the age of 38 just doesn't instantly lose his ability within 2 years.
But yeah, Ole has been putting exaggerated words in his press conferences anyway so this has become something not to take seriously. I used to criticize him, because I thought He was always honest and straight forward. But it's easy to tell that He's playing a different game now.

Grande

I'm not the person you refer to but I have my own employees so I'm qualified to answer this

Different personality types respond differently to different types of feedback. Some will be motived by criticism. Some will respond the way you want them to with o angry outbursts in limited quantities, aka. "putting a fire under someones backseat". Both of these can only happen in small amounts or you create a negative feedback loop where a player might start to think that everything he does is wrong, which severely affects motivation and confidence.

The vast majority of people respond to either calm constructive feedback - or my personal approach to all things management: Support.

Players who struggle tend to not struggle over something of their own making. They are well aware that they are not playing good enough. De Gea's role is a bit different than say Lingard because De Gea's role is fullfilled in split seconds where he either saves or he doesn't-. If he makes a mistake, no amount of yelling is going to teach De Gea that he can't make that mistake. He knows that. When you make mistakes you need (most of the time) positive reinforcement and a reason to be better. In this case Davids motivation is his teammates and his personal performance. Exceptions are cases like meeting the ball, attacking the ball on a corner, things lik that. But negative feedback on saves? That doesn't help anything.

In the example of Jesse Lingard: His role on the pitch is in a series of moments that can be recitfied with a good yelling because he has time to use the negative feedback to do something positive with it, chase a player, be aggreive on the ball, what have you.

The other aspect here is the dressingroom hairdryer: more often than not its used as a "Fire everyone up" tool when the performance just isn't there. Nothing more nothing less.

With regards to a press conference. Ask yourself this: What would be the purpose of Ole being negative? What does that achieve? The press conference is for you and for me. The ONLY reason for Ole to be negative from your point of view is fo you can feel valiation about being angry and justify that yelling at people is some how productive.

We had a manager here that took the negative route during press conferences, frequently singling out players for mistakes, blaming them publicly. I know that you can't imagine how stressful that is, but imagine your boss calling you out on live TV for a mistake you made and blame everything on your very public face. Then go out for a shopping trip after, wondering if any or how many of the people you pass by are thinking what a loser you are who can't even play a ball the right way. It's a team sport and somehow your contribution to your team and your teammates is SO BAD that the manager went out of his way to blame it all on you. Go to bed thinking about what mistakes you might make again, what chances you're never going to take again because you are lambasted in national media for not being good enough. That is exactly what happens when you call players out during press conferences. It achieves NOTHING. Sir Alex (almost*) never did. Ole (hopefully) never will. And thank god for that.

*Here is a link to an article about players that Sir Alex DID ciriticise either in public or media managed to sneak glimpses of private yellings: https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...manchester-united-news-alex-ferguson-11918367

As Sir Alex himself said: Criticising a player in public damages morale. It achieves nothing.

We already know from the players themselves that Ole is more than happy to use his outdoor mountaintop voice behind closed doors. We also know from the players that Ole's strength lies in man management. Whatever Dea Gea responds positively to, I'm more than confident that that is being handled behind closed doors.

I don't really care if De Gea gets yelled at or treated to a spa weekend. Whatever gets him out of his head and back on the pitch is what I want. Not yelling because "players should be able to take it".

tl;dr: Public criticism is always bad and shows lack of character. Publicly supporting your players and geting behind them even when its a storm shows leadership. Don't yell at people for yellings sake, chances are you will achieve less than what you started out with.
I admire youre patience!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Maybe He knows that a Keeper below the age of 38 just doesn't instantly lose his ability within 2 years.
But yeah, Ole has been putting exaggerated words in his press conferences anyway so this has become something not to take seriously. I used to criticize him, because I thought He was always honest and straight forward. But it's easy to tell that He's playing a different game now.
I think he's showing the middle finger to Keano just as he did with RVP a few months back. Which is fair enough really. He's the manager and if he loses the dressing room then his arse would be on the line not theirs.

nikineil

:lol: Still can't believe people take this press conference as gospel.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.

Thank you for taking the time to give a detailed explanation.

His public handling & man management is definitely my favorite aspect of Ole's time here so far. To have a manager who actually protects his players and doesn't throw them under the bus to protect his ego at every opportunity is refreshing to see.

Nickelodeon

No matter how we do on the pitch, I would always credit Ole for saying the right things in the media room. He always has something positive to say about stuff, handles the diplomatic stuff well, is articulate and is as opposite to Mourinho as possible.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
It's not wise reading much into manager press conference these days, it's all just boring and repetitive stuff( unless it's you know who...). Personally I just follow it for news on injury and who's likely to start or not cos.. FPL.

Also managers have different ways of dealing with players who are underperforming. It's a core duty to know how to handle your players really. He could try benching DDG for a game or two (like Lampard did with Kepa) but will that work with DDG? It's all up to the manager and player, and as a fan I just prefer to sit back and see how it all plays out instead of worry about things I have no idea about.

Also first post! Wierd thread to do it in but hey....

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
No matter how we do on the pitch, I would always credit Ole for saying the right things in the media room. He always has something positive to say about stuff, handles the diplomatic stuff well, is articulate and is as opposite to Mourinho as possible.
Same here, it's a trait many people underrate in its impact on a team, especially coming after such a toxic manager like Mourinho.