Solskjaer's legacy and his future

R'hllor

Ole didnt have enough time lul, seriously certain section having hard time to cope with reality outside their deluded bubble.

Max_United

It’s weird how some posters still talk about Ole as if he was some powerless figure who had to deal with an unmanageable mess (like Ralf has had to). While the problems at the club run very deep, the fact remains that Ole brought in a large number of new players (most of whom are now deadwood) while overseeing the renewal of the contracts of various deadbeats. In making these observations, it’s not a case of picking on Ole but rather holding him to the same standard as his predecessors.
Exactly, which is very ironic since before this season Ole's defenders acted as if he was an all-powerful figure was lavishly praised and credited for single-handedly "doing a rebuild", "improving the atmosphere", "cultural reboot", "building a good squad for next manager", and "clearing the deadwood". Now it is "transfers were bad but wasn't Ole's fault" and "atmosphere and culture are bad but not Ole's fault" and so on.

The truth in terms of his powers is somewhere in the middle of course, but the biggest problem among sections of our fanbase is that they refuse to hold him to the same standards as other managers. We all know, for example, that neither LvG nor Jose had 100% authority over transfers, but nobody absolved them of the responsibility to block the transfers or used that in their defense (and rightly so). Hardly anybody thought that players not being motivated is a mitigating factor rather than a failure of the manager to motivate them. After their sacking hardly anyone cared about LvG bringing us from 7th to 4th, winning first post-Fergie trophy or Jose qualifying us for CL 2 years in a row or 81 points or EL win etc - their tenure was branded as a definitive failure (rightly so) and those were just some positives which did not come close to overweighting negatives.

Yet with Ole it is still a constant stream of excuses and parroting of "3rd and 2nd place and EL final" as if it were a great achievement - and if anything (like squad balance) is obviously bad after his tenure - then it is always "not his fault", just endless infantilization of him really. Yes purely result-wise he did not do much worse than his predecessors who had better CVs, but in no way it means that he did a good job or we were progressing under him even until the last season. He left us in as much of a mess as we were after Jose, if not worse and we lost 3 years. Not a crime being not good enough (and yes, he was never the biggest problem with the club, of course), but what is really bad is that he refused to recognize his own limitations or did not believe they were important - evidenced by the fact that he did not hire experienced coaches. Were he not a Utd legend as a player there would not be much of a discussion on this topic imo.

90 + 5min

I see church of Ole is still strong in this thread.
I see people talking with emotions and not facts. So I guess this anti-Solskjaer and actually anti-managers will keep going. As strong as ever. I’m actually surprised people haven’t started ten Hag out thread blaming him already for things.

jem

Yes we did! Several times. If anything, Ole showed the squad couldn’t be trusted. He did a fine job working on that up until this season. Whether it’s on him or the players is up to us fans. But to label some of us as Ole fans is not fair! Rangnick has repeatedly said there are problems, problems Ole 100% knew was there, but didn’t have time to address. It will be the same for Ten Haag, and people will be all over him for not polishing a turd fast enough.
A lot of those problems (the signings of Maguire and AWB, the sense of entitlement shown by the likes of Rashford, the empty promises made to Lingard, Bailly, and Donny) were Ole's doing. And no injury crisis we had came close to Liverpool's being forced to field those 2 clowns at CB (can't even remember their names). And are you saying it's unfair to be labelled an Ole fan? I'm not sure what you are getting at there.

Slysi17

Yes we did! Several times. If anything, Ole showed the squad couldn’t be trusted. He did a fine job working on that up until this season. Whether it’s on him or the players is up to us fans. But to label some of us as Ole fans is not fair! Rangnick has repeatedly said there are problems, problems Ole 100% knew was there, but didn’t have time to address. It will be the same for Ten Haag, and people will be all over him for not polishing a turd fast enough.
Delusional. Manchester United did not have a injury crisis. Liverpool literally had to play a midfielder in defense. That wrecked the balance of their team. Yeah we had injuries but it wasn't significant. Stop making stuff up.

Vaultech

Delusional. Manchester United did not have a injury crisis. Liverpool literally had to play a midfielder in defense. That wrecked the balance of their team. Yeah we had injuries but it wasn't significant. Stop making stuff up.
Yeah, every club suffered from injuries over the course of a season. But the idea that every club's injury crisis is the same is utterly wrong.

Slysi17

Yeah, every club suffered from injuries over the course of a season. But the idea that every club's injury crisis is the same is utterly wrong.
Exactly right. I just hate when fans overstate the injuries we got when Liverpools injuries was far worse just to defend Ole.

Slysi17

Minor semifinals and finals? Minor? I also wonder what you mean by short term development and long term when you say that Solskjaer sacrificed. We did show progress until this year.

Most expensive squad is not same as good squad. We got players that don't perform. Can't perform, don't want or don't know how to perform. Either way it can't only be blaming game towards managers. Lot of them aren't even worth half of what they cost but because we are ManUtd we overpay. Always. So I don't see a point to mention expensive squad.
Well I am fed up of making europa league finals. Ole made the europa league final last year because we messed up our champions league group. For once I actually want to make a champions league final. Even tottenham did it in 2019. So I get why that poster called the europa league minor.

AFC NimbleThumb

Beyond me why he didn't push for Lingard and Pogba to be sold last summer. Might have even saved him his job.
The teflon twins Maguire & Shaw did far more to cost OgS his job than either of the players you mentioned this season. Would have been nice to have had the funds but OgS was let down by his favourites if anything. He didn’t lose his job because of Pogba & Lingard ffs.

Water Melon

Just like in his time with Cardiff, Ole wasted tons of money at United and let the squad rot. Just like Cardiff, the club will have to get rid of lots of players, after Ole's reset.

90 + 5min

Well I am fed up of making europa league finals. Ole made the europa league final last year because we messed up our champions league group. For once I actually want to make a champions league final. Even tottenham did it in 2019. So I get why that poster called the europa league minor.
I guess you know that only 2 teams can play final in Champions League and only one can win. Tottenham came to final and lost. It is not like they won. Because we were and not close to that we should take what is being offered in these times.

dove

I see people talking with emotions and not facts. So I guess this anti-Solskjaer and actually anti-managers will keep going. As strong as ever. I’m actually surprised people haven’t started ten Hag out thread blaming him already for things.
People are not "anti-Solskjaer and actually anti-managers". But if you are doing a shite job, you will be called out instead of inventing excuses. Ole has failed here and should have been sacked at least 2 times before he was inevitably sacked. He has survived here way longer than he should have and in the process his "cultural reboot" ended in him leaving us in the worst state any manager before him did. No decent club in the world will touch him with a barge pole which should tell you something. Good man, clueless manager.

crossy1686

career ending
The teflon twins Maguire & Shaw did far more to cost OgS his job than either of the players you mentioned this season. Would have been nice to have had the funds but OgS was let down by his favourites if anything. He didn’t lose his job because of Pogba & Lingard ffs.
Oh I agree, don't worry. I've been calling for Shaw to be replaced since LVG and we all know about Maguire. I'm not saying that Pogba and Lingard got him sacked, I'm saying that if he would have pushed for them to be shipped and brought in one or two midfielders who wanted to be here, maybe that would have been enough to cover for the shite in defence and allow him to keep his job. Either way he failed to take action on that matter alongside others and he was rightly fired.

Slysi17

I guess you know that only 2 teams can play final in Champions League and only one can win. Tottenham came to final and lost. It is not like they won. Because we were and not close to that we should take what is being offered in these times.
I counter that to the fact 1 billion pounds has been spent in the past 9 years. So Manchester United have the financial resources to actually compete for the champions league. Stupid statement of "take what is being offered". Shows you have no standards.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Oh here we go… the let’s blame Ole for the Russian invasion lot have entered.

KeanoMagicHat

There’s more to a football squad than what happens purely on the pitch and it’s clear that United have one of the most toxic dressing rooms in the league, hurt by the fact the squad was bloated, players wanted game time and weren’t given it, players wanted to leave. Solskjaer had better results with ‘worse’ players but a small and settled squad, so yes Pogba and Lingard and other players staying was a factor.

KeanoMagicHat

Because he was a United legend and the club played some of the best football since Ferguson when he was here. It went sour at the end. There’s another Ole thread for abusing him, he’s left now, we have a new full-time manager. Move on.

Reactions: Livvie

Nero

How are people still not over this?

Despite his best efforts, he wasn't good enough and then he left. Shit happens.

Legend.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Sorry. It just occurred to how embarrassingly forced the OP was.
As opposed to how you are trying to force all blame into Ole. He did his job, some good elements, some bad elements and all the while gave his best for a club he clearly loved. Very much deserved the praise and thanks!

Reactions: Livvie

elnorte

Freaky fly day
As opposed to how you are trying to force all blame into Ole. He did his job, some good elements, some bad elements and all the while gave his best for a club he clearly loved. Very much deserved the praise and thanks!
When?

90 + 5min

I counter that to the fact 1 billion pounds has been spent in the past 9 years. So Manchester United have the financial resources to actually compete for the champions league. Stupid statement of "take what is being offered". Shows you have no standards.
No standards? What are you talking about? Reality is that we are not good enough and that we had couple of managers trying to fix that. It has not worked and now it is tenHag turn.
I am not that obsessed with Champions League like you seem. I rather win Premier League.

90 + 5min

People are not "anti-Solskjaer and actually anti-managers". But if you are doing a shite job, you will be called out instead of inventing excuses. Ole has failed here and should have been sacked at least 2 times before he was inevitably sacked. He has survived here way longer than he should have and in the process his "cultural reboot" ended in him leaving us in the worst state any manager before him did. No decent club in the world will touch him with a barge pole which should tell you something. Good man, clueless manager.
Once again, he didn’t fail. Players failed and we hoped that changing manager would get them going but even with new manager they keep doing the same. So this is not on managers. This is on players.
Good manager, but like previous managers who are even bigger, he was let down by players.

Eddy_JukeZ

Once again, he didn’t fail. Players failed and we hoped that changing manager would get them going but even with new manager they keep doing the same. So this is not on managers. This is on players.
Good manager, but like previous managers who are even bigger, he was let down by players.
These are just more excuses to absolve him.

No manager here was let down by players. It's unreal how some of you choose to absolve the manager of anything like they're a deity.

They all failed.

Moyes failed.

Van Gaal failed.

Jose failed.

Ole failed.

fastwalker

Fascinating comparing and contrasting the tone and tenor of the posts on the first few pages of this thread with those on the latter pages. Time is a healer isn't it. In the cold light of day and with distance, everything seems not quite as bad as it once did. It is like a raw painful wound that scabs, leaving a painless scar.

The truth is that as United fans we want to feel better about Ole's tenure because we like him. He is after all a club legend. He will therefore forever be in our hearts. It is equally true that as United manager Ole proved himself to be inept. Aside from his blistering start and some real show-piece moments in Paris, at the Etihad, a distant second place finish to City and almost (but not quite) run in the Europa League Ole's tenure was abject. Ole was enthusiastically supported by the fans and backed by the board. Yet with, on paper, the best team in years at his disposal for the 2021/22 season, Ole contrived to take United backwards. Having finished second the season before, we invested in more, we brought in better and we got worse. A truly baffling accomplishment that no one has quite managed to get their heads round.

I have not seen the charity being afforded Ole extended to either Van Gaal, or Jose both of whom actually won things as United managers. Nor for that matter to Moyes, who is unlikely to ever get another top PL job, but who has gone a long way to rehabilitate his reputation since leaving United. Any honest appraisal of Ole should rightly reflect on his successes as well as failures, but 'time-washing' is dangerous. Why? Well if we do not learn the lessons of the past, then we are bound to repeat them aren't we?

Last edited:

el3mel

He was an awful coach who won nothing and left a shit team in need for full rebuild. That's his legacy as a Man United manager.

If another manager had done what he did in those 3 years while not having the ex legend label on him, this thread wouldn't have existed.

90 + 5min

These are just more excuses to absolve him.

No manager here was let down by players. It's unreal how some of you choose to absolve the manager of anything like they're a deity.

They all failed.

Moyes failed.

Van Gaal failed.

Jose failed.

Ole failed.
You forgot Rangnick failed. So everyone failed but players are world beaters that are missunderstood. Right?

Managers have been let down. It is that simply. Nobody said managers are free of criticism but there is no doubt were blame should go when we talk about