Solskjaer's legacy and his future

Flexdegea

For what? In his first season he left us where Mourinho left us. Now we're even worse off despite the 500 million spent.

Absolute nonsense we are worse, you not remember the state of our team when Jose left, least whoever comes in got apparently a team that could win it all

djembatheking

Our board are a bunch of wankers and hung Ole out to dry. It was obvious he was out of his depth ages ago but because Ole is a legend they have allowed hatred and resentment to fester in the fan base towards Ole . It should never have got to this , the owners should have admitted they have made a mistake and done the right thing in the summer. All the fans ire is now turned on Ole and not the owners who haven`t even got a plan in place for what to do next , Brendan Rodgers, do me a favour. It was clear Ole had gone as far as he could ages ago and should never have come to this but to see our fanbase namecalling , belittling and abusing one of our Legends for trying his best to do right for the club that he loves and Woodward , the Glazers , Arnold and all the other feckwit money men bumbling along from one disaster to the next makes me feckin sick . The current set of players must dread the thought of becoming a legend if this is how they get treated.

Blood Mage

Thanks for trying your best Ole, it's regrettable that you fell so short of the standard required. At least we all love you again now though.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Thank you for what you did as a player. Thank you for your run as interim steadying the ship. Everything after that? Nope.

hatchetmac

Thank you Ole. It just didn't work out for you. Ole you will still be remembered for one of the best nights in Manchester United history all the best fella.

red4ever 79

The squad that he’s leaving behind is much better than the one that he inherited.His successor won’t have a massive rebuilding job to do…Ole did a good job until this season,so he deserves some credit for the progress that we”ve made over the last few years.Thanks for your service Ole,all the best for the future!
What about when Pogba, Lingard, DVB, Cavani, Mata all leave end of season.

sangria

These players ain't gonna have the respect for Carrick/Fletcher either. So don't expect big change.
We need a manager who will treat the players on their performance level.
No first on the team sheet because of who or what you are.
If you don't perform you spend time on the bench.
We badly need a manager that will command respect from the players.
Who are you thinking of? On a scale of Z to Z, how would you rate the candidates?

stw2022

The disappointing thing for me is that he was a relatively young manager in the biggest club in the world who should have been buzzing with excitement and hell-bent on moulding us in his vision but he came in and effectively managed us like a 74 year-old caretaker for three years. Lack of energy or enthusiasm, stilted boring football that lacked shape, direction or intent. Truth be known, as a lovely as he might be as a person and as legendary as his player career is - to me he's always given the impression he's half-arsed the job.

Endless games where he'd passively sit and watch things go down the pisser rather than do ANYTHING to turn things around. Terrible individual performances that were rewarded by never being dropped as if he either didn't notice, didn't care or was too weak to act. Injured players clearly not fit getting game time - again as if he didn't notice, didnt care or was too weak to make a decision to drop them. Take your pick, it's all bad. Subs that bared no relation to how the game had gone or who was playing well or badly. Again, as if he didn't care, didn't notice or was too weak to make tough decisions.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Ole was and will always be a legend at this club. But as a player not ,alas, as a manager. I'm afraid that by being a poor manager he will lose that Legend tag. And that is a great shame. The sh*t that is being spouted about him on these pages is pretty distasteful. Not too long ago he was the new Messiah. The same people who were praising him then are probably the same people who are rubbishing him now. Sad.

Reactions: Jippy

sp_107

In the midest of corona pandmeic time his teams given us something to lookforward every week, all those come backs / Cavani-Bruno Goals ,

I always remeber those matches and 3/2nd finishes in a row which was not bad compared to his predecessors

Trophy Room

In the midest of corona pandmeic time his teams given us something to lookforward every week, all those come backs / Cavani-Bruno Goals ,

I always remeber those matches and 3/2nd finishes in a row which was not bad compared to his predecessors
Most I’ve enjoyed United since Fergie. He did well but he couldn’t take us forward.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I'm sure you know the point in my comment. If not then just move on.
No I don't because your comment is silly. We're talking about people's careers here. Every manager who came here and failed had his career thrown back years. Moyes is managing West Ham who are doing well at the moment but are nowhere near to Everton. LVG had retired for a couple of years only to return as Dutch manager. Finally Mou ended up with Roma who are nowhere near to United or Chelsea. You don't need to be a 'United legend' to want to do well here. Actually the only man who fecked off to a holiday in the middle of a crisis was a United legend.

Last edited:

The Hilton

Put Moyes instead of Ole in the last 2 years with the same results, same spending prowess and answer me honestly would you consider him an utter failure?
This season was an utter failure, no doubt. Previous seasons were continuous progress, so no I don't see it like that. If the next manager has to bin most of the squad then I'll change my opinion, but I see this squad capable of achieving glory.

Foxbatt

That team Jose left had been the 2nd best team in the country. Just like Ole left too. Its crazy to say that he is leaving a better team than he got. Maybe it is but he completely mismanaged the team. So he is worse off than Jose as he did win a couple of trophies.

The Hilton

There is no such thing as a participation trophy. Also what makes you think that the other managers couldn't care less about the EPL title? The minimum expectations were always top 4

The reality is that Ole won nothing despite spending 415m. That's not denigration but a fact
It is a fact, but you still felt the need to come into the Thank You Ole thread to vomit it out.

You're happy and you want to gloat, fine, but do it in one of the many threads that exist for that reason.

Maticmaker

If only changing the manager would put things right, I have my doubts.

Ole did bring some relief after the staleness of LvG and the negativity of Jose, he put a smile on all our faces, but alas he didn't tackle the really deep seated problems at the club and it was inevitable they would catch up with him. His inexperience under pressure told in the end, there appears to have been too many 'back stories' operating at the club, most of them resulting from the 'cocked up' lack of succession planning debacle, after Fergie left.
The worrying thing is who can sort out the crap? We have so called 'top players' seemingly not trying, or worse still they are not as 'top player material' as they think they are when they come under the massive pressure of wearing a United shirt, they cannot perform consistently, very few if any are real leaders, and the hierarchy in the playing staff is easy to spot, some players are on two or three times more money than their squad colleagues. In such cases and especially when the chips are down the tendency will be to tell the manager "get after him boss he's getting three times what we are and he's sh**e!
The training and coaching has been abysmal, for years really. Football is a simple game but you wouldn't think so watching United over recent seasons, attempts to incorporate modern influences coming into the game, e.g. like playing out from the back, putting on and sustaining a high press, pass and move shapes all over the pitch, are performed with amazing incompetence, that is repeated week after week, game after game, and every player involved seems scared to death when they get dragged into things.

Ole has made some changes, brought some decent players in, but all have eventually been sucked into the morass of incompetence, lack of confidence, etc. that seems to pervade all training/coaching right through to game planning. Hence his main failure has been seeming his inability to reverse these underlying problems. Whether he has been held back by the owners, or he has just failed to appreciate the problems, we shall have to wait for his 'My time at United' tell all book!

Undoubtedly the owners approach to running the club hasn't helped, but that's as much to do with a failure to 'clean house' as it is to making a profit. For the Owners there has to be a realization that the quick fix of going for star names ( worryingly more to sell shirts) hasn't worked, because whats broken needs more application and planning than that.

Good luck to Ole he has had a good go, but it was always a bridge too far in present circumstances.

Foxbatt

His legacy would be too big a step for a mediocre manager. Just like it was for Moyes. United was a too big club for him and his lack of coaching ability and his choice of coaching staff left a bitter taste. If he had gone after the first season it would have been brilliant. He overstayed his welcome.

The Hilton

His achievements aren't tangible or memorable in comparison to his failures, in the end its the failures that'll be remembered.
Maybe, that depends on whether his successor has success with the team - if they do then Ole will get credit for putting it together, just like Lampard.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It is a fact, but you still felt the need to come into the Thank You Ole thread to vomit it out.

You're happy and you want to gloat, fine, but do it in one of the many threads that exist for that reason.
I don't like revision of history simply because 'he's one of us' or similar BS. Nothing right comes out of that. It's not to do with gloating or vomiting stuff. It's about saying things as they are. This is Redcafe not RAWK.

Ole was a fantastic player, he was an exceptional team player and he was an excellent servant of the club. He did a magnificent job as interim manager but he failed spectacularly as manager. That's it.

The Hilton

He got one significant semi and one final? And a couple league cup semis. We had a simple run in the FA cup in 19/20 and got knocked out by Chelsea - funnily the first good team we faced. Our EL run was even easier and we lost to a shitty Villareal with a significantly better team. We need to stop rewriting history. Our football was non-existent and we relied on luck to win a lot of our games. It's no surprise that once that luck ran out literally every team could beat us with ease. This was a nightmare and its come to an end.
I disagree, but I'm not getting into it in this thread. Hopefully you can be adult enough to leave it at that.

Enigma_87

You know who
This season was an utter failure, no doubt. Previous seasons were continuous progress, so no I don't see it like that. If the next manager has to bin most of the squad then I'll change my opinion, but I see this squad capable of achieving glory.
All seasons are failure considering the amount of resources put in. United are the biggest spenders since Ole took over and have nothing to show for. Ever since he took the managerial position there isn’t a specific style that he implemented. Last year we were shite against the top teams and grinded out results in corona struck season.

put a competent manager and give him half a billion and he’ll do better than ole.

even past it managers like Jose and LvG did better.

the only one who can be considered worse was Moyes yet he didn’t waste so many resources and time and was quickly relieved. In 10 years time only cups and titles will remain and under Ole we won feck all. On top of that the season we’re currently in is wasted and the next manager again has a big rebuild job on his hands.

The Hilton

I don't like revision of history simply because 'he's one of us' or similar BS. Nothing right comes out of that. It's not to do with gloating or vomiting stuff. It's about saying things as they are. This is Redcafe not RAWK.

Ole was a fantastic player, he was an exceptional team player and he was an excellent servant of the club. He did a magnificent job as interim manager but he failed spectacularly as manager. That's it.
I disagree with your summary, and your framing of "anyone who disagrees with me is RAWKish" shows the maturity lacking in your arguments (as does you trying to force your opinions on people in the wrong thread).

If you want to discuss this further, without the absolutes, take it to another thread and you can tag me in the post. This is the wrong place for it and you know it.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Mixed bag.

I'll always remember the Honeymoon and the decent Top2-3 positions in the era of Pep/Klopp, but the FA Cup + EL fiascos and the terrible "autumn 2021" will taint his legacy for generations to come.

A failed decent manager, simple as that.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Mixed bag.

I'll always remember the Honeymoon and the decent Top2-3 positions in the era of Pep/Klopp, but the FA Cup + EL fiascos and the terrible "autumn 2021" will taint his legacy for generations to come.

A failed decent manager, simple as that.
He wasn't decent. He is a poor manager carried by players until their backs broke.

The Hilton

All seasons are failure considering the amount of resources put in. United are the biggest spenders since Ole took over and have nothing to show for. Ever since he took the managerial position there isn’t a specific style that he implemented. Last year we were shite against the top teams and grinded out results in corona struck season.

put a competent manager and give him half a billion and he’ll do better than ole.

even past it managers like Jose and LvG did better.

the only one who can be considered worse was Moyes yet he didn’t waste so many resources and time and was quickly relieved. In 10 years time only cups and titles will remain and under Ole we won feck all. On top of that the season we’re currently in is wasted and the next manager again has a big rebuild job on his hands.
Strongly disagree, but as I said before this is the wrong thread. There are plenty of other threads to discuss this, no need to barge into a thread that isn't aimed at you to try to derail it.

Maybe, that depends on whether his successor has success with the team - if they do then Ole will get credit for putting it together, just like Lampard.
so if the successor wins the league with DVB as his main CM, Amad LW, drops Maguire Ole gets credit for that?

The Hilton

so if the successor wins the league with DVB as his main CM, Amad LW, drops Maguire Ole gets credit for that?
You mean if he wins the league with players that Ole bought in? Then yeah, Ole gets some credit for bringing them in. Lampard gets credit for assembling the team that Tuchel turned into a monster - rightly so. Good recruitment is a skill that some excellent tacticians never master.

Max_United

I think he took over a club with a toxic atmosphere

he took over a squad with misfits, expensive disasters and players who just weren't performing or good enough like Sanchez, Rojo, Darmian, Fellaini, Young and Lukaku (who rarely looked interested in a United shirt).

In spite of how awful we have been this year he leaves a squad that a new manager with some sort of tactical and coaching acumen can get much more out of. At the beginning of this season I had hoped that we would launch a title challenge based on the quality of our squad. These are still the same players.

We overpaid on Maguire and Wan Bissaka but is that on Ole? partly at least. Van De Beek has been puzzling and I'm glad Sancho will get a fresh start under a new manager.

Overall if you cast your mind back to December 18 the atmosphere was worse for me and we had a squad really lacking quality with Rashford our main attacking force with players like Young and Pereira playing regularly. Ole's decline has been really really sharp but he should have been relieved after the Liverpool game. The indecision is on the board.

The fans are united I think in Ole going. He never turned the fans against the players like Jose. He did the exact same thing at Spurs and by the sounds of things he's doing it at Roma. He tried to convince us players like Luke Shaw were brainless remember.

In terms of fan division the only issue I have is with the disrespect Ole has received on here which has resembled Twitter at times. I'm 43 and wonder is this an age thing but some of the comments in this thread are sickening. It makes you wonder if these are the kind of fans who would round on Sir Bobby. Yes Solskjaer failed. We were outplayed by teams regularly. He made lots of poor decisions. He was seriously flawed as a manager.

He tried his best though and the pain has been etched on his face with every disaster. No one is hurting more than he is and he has failed on his dream. Is this how we treat one of our own. I'm embarrassed for many United 'fans' who simply don't understand the club based on what I've read at times. This is all coming from someone who thought he should have been replaced after Liverpool too.
But if the squad his inherited was so bad - how damning for Ole's managerial abilities is the fact that Jose was still able (with such an inferior squad as you say) to win trophies and achieve a 82 point tally in the league - more than Ole ever did with improved squad? Plus we had more points at the same stage even in Jose bust-up season, again with an inferior squad. You pick Shaw, but Pogba and Martial have not proved him wrong so far. And I always thought and still think Jose was a huge failure here and wanted him gone long before we sacked him.

Improving the atmosphere after Jose is a quick fix and could have been done by most of the managers, as Ince pointed out and was ridiculed here at the time.

Squad and recruitment is somewhat better, yes, but for 400m, no real hidden gems uncovered and we cannot be sure that Ole is the main guy on recruitment anyway so unclear that he can take full praise or criticism here. In Molde he had a blank cheque for Norwegian Standards and in Cardiff where he clearly played a huge part in recruitment he signed like 5 our former academy players that were clearly not good enough (but his friend and his and their agent Solbakken could pocket handsome fees).

Enigma_87

You know who
You mean if he wins the league with players that Ole bought in? Then yeah, Ole gets some credit for bringing them in. Lampard gets credit for assembling the team that Tuchel turned into a monster - rightly so. Good recruitment is a skill that some excellent tacticians never master.
Disagree with this. Said it in other threads as well. The pattern of our recruitment has been pretty much the same since Fergie retired. Doubt any of the managers had a big say in identifying and bringing players in. And no, managers should be judged on their time when they are at helm. You put Ole instead of Tuchel in that Chelsea team and they will be nowhere near where they are now.