Solskjaer's legacy and his future

Scholsey2004

Yeah, was a positive influence at the club and did a lot towards the rebuild. Fell down when he had the quality of players to go up a level and dominate, rather than rely on counter-attacking. IMO he knows how to coach long diagonals from players like Fernandes to forward runs on the last man like Rashford or Ronaldo do but he doesnt seem to be able to coach how to build play between the midfield and the forwards hence his failure to integrate Sancho and van de Beek. Theres a glass ceiling if you have to rely on mid table tactics irrespective of the quality of the playing staff. We're far better off now than when he arrived though.

Social Faux Pas

I really admire Ole as a man and he will always be a legend but I don’t buy this notion that he has done a good job with the rebuild. I think we are further away from the top3 teams than we were at the time Jose left.

Reactions: Invictus

SAFMUTD

He gets plenty of credit, including from Tuchel, for putting the team together, but it's rightly highlighted that he simply couldn't get the performance out of them that a coach like Tuchel could.
Then the same can be said about Kovac and that Bayern team.

I just don't find the logic on how a manager that clearly failed with a squad which proved after that had all the qualities to win the biggest titles gets credit for it. When it's clear he was the main obstacle.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Like many others, I have said harsh words about Ole over last few weeks (maybe deservedly) but all said and done he is a good man who ended up doing decent in 2.5 years here before this season,. Our board is totally clueless though and didn't know that an upgrade on Ole was needed after he did the foundational part. In the end, Ole had to take the fall for board's Incompetency by always being that guy at forefront who bears the brunt. His naivety in management didn't help of course.

buckooo1978

But if the squad his inherited was so bad - how damning for Ole's managerial abilities is the fact that Jose was still able (with such an inferior squad as you say) to win trophies and achieve a 82 point tally in the league - more than Ole ever did with improved squad? Plus we had more points at the same stage even in Jose bust-up season, again with an inferior squad. You pick Shaw, but Pogba and Martial have not proved him wrong so far. And I always thought and still think Jose was a huge failure here and wanted him gone long before we sacked him.

Improving the atmosphere after Jose is a quick fix and could have been done by most of the managers, as Ince pointed out and was ridiculed here at the time.

Squad and recruitment is somewhat better, yes, but for 400m, no real hidden gems uncovered and we cannot be sure that Ole is the main guy on recruitment anyway so unclear that he can take full praise or criticism here. In Molde he had a blank cheque for Norwegian Standards and in Cardiff where he clearly played a huge part in recruitment he signed like 5 our former academy players that were clearly not good enough (but his friend and his and their agent Solbakken could pocket handsome fees).
Well because Jose started well and it turned to shit.....such is his style. A really effective Ibra was swapped for a ineffective Lukaku. Lingards form dropped away, he turned on Rashford and Martial and his cuntishness prevailed as it has at Spurs and is at Roma by reports. The fact he won a league Cup and a Europa League matters not. The squad was a disjointed mess of Van Gaal and Mourinho misfits.

Ole didn't get 82 points but he started last season with no pre-season a few weeks after the Europa League semi he lost. We had a terrible start to the season and a terrible transfer window given Cavani was signed last minute after months, Pellestri/Amad not ready etc... there's lots of context and it isn't black and white. What I will say is I was a happier United fan under Ole than Jose until this season

we could go back and forth here comparing Jose and Ole but what is the point? I never claimed if you read my posts that Ole was a top manager. I just feel he's left a better, more balanced squad than he inherited which is the metric that I'm using to judge his stay. He should never have gotten the job in the first place but tried his best.

Why are you going to so much effort to put the boot into a club legend anyway? Go watch his leaving interview and have a word with yourself for not just saying all the best Ole. Sorry it didn't work out for you. You sound like a bitter Mourinho fan rather than a United one.

matt10000

I feel genuinely sad for Ole. He did well, finished third, and second. Expectations were high, signed top classed players. Yet, it is totally unexplainable how things collapsed this season. Just no words. Ole has to take some.of the blame, but I am afraid without tackling the root of the problems the same issues will surface.
Totally agree but at the same time, I wish him the best. I am in no doubt that he worked his arse off and tried his best despite the hateful comments I have read on this forum. It didn’t work out in the end but then that’s life. Ole has failed, others with much bigger reputations have failed before him, yet if you read some
of the comments in here recently you would think he had just drowned some puppies.

wolvored

Ole the footballer was a legend, winning us the Ch Lge with that goal and was a super sub.
Ole the bloke seems a lovely man.
Ole the manager leaves a lot to be desired.
He has signed some good even great players, but couldnt mold a team capable of winning anything. He was too loyal to some players and hung others out to dry, even some he had bought himself. Apparently he was asked by the board if he wanted to change the coaches to help him, but said no they were fantastic and good enough. He did suffer from delusion and I think he thought he was the 2nd coming of Fergie. He lied and promised players to stay and he would play them and he didnt.

Utd Clem

I like many have nothing but love for Ole as a player, and now as the man who took a toxic club and gave us smiles back. Sure there are rumours that the bad mojo was creeping back but this man has made us smile post Jose. I can’t say I agree with all of his decisions, but I can say I appreciate and thank him for what he did. You will forever be a legend to me

The Hilton

The attitude, work rate and culture are all pathetic, no idea how anyone can think otherwise. Big job for next manager to sort out.
That simply isn't true, he's had the dressing room pulling in the same direction for a while now, even the players he left on the bench have been professional.

Guapa

All the best Ole.Always be a legend.You were never the problem buddy,you done well considering the owners we have.Nice job.

MattofManchester

He is a legend and always will be. He came back to us at a low point and made us believe we could reach the top again.

He took us to a higher level and left us in the position to go one step closer.

McTerminator

So called fans on this forum are a disgrace.

Club legend came in when we were in complete disarray and managed to steady the ship.

Gave us a feel good factor and a few good memories for a while there and has recruited well overall (anyone talking about wasted money has extremely short memories, clowns).

I challenge you all to display more than 2 IQ along with a touch of class and respect a man who gave it his all for the club and thee fans and has just (rightfully) lost his job.

For anyone who disagrees with this, why don't you take it to one of the many other threads moaning about Ole.

TheMitz

As a player have us some unbelievable moments, none more than THAT goal.
As a man, decent and honourable.
As a manager, out of his depth at the club. Let down by himself and others around him.

The last 2 weeks will have been hell for him, rival fans singing Ole's at the wheel, endless speculation about his job. Completely let down by the incompetence of the Glazers and especially Woodward.
His coaching staff didn't help, lack of a proper tactician.

He didn't help himself by having blind faith in average players, Mcfred, Maguire, Bissaka but stubbornly refused to give others a chance.

Thanks for trying but the job was just too big, and always will be while we have a bunch of idiots running the club.

The Hilton

One step closer to mid table?
I read childish posts like this and can't imagine you've ever been to Old Trafford.

You're dancing on the managerial grave of a legend. A man for whom the club means the world. Just give it a rest.

Roboc7

That simply isn't true, he's had the dressing room pulling in the same direction for a while now, even the players he left on the bench have been professional.
It is true, Ole failed at what he set out to do, think it’s patronising to him to try and dress it up. He tried but someone who was plodding along at Molde was never going to be good enough, just common sense.

Shame it didn’t end sooner for his sake, he was a great player for us but a very no poor manager who has left a mess. One has no relation to the other and failing as a manger has no impact on what he achieved as a player and vice versa.

killerboi2

Ole brought far more asthetically pleasing football than Mourinho or LVG, stable results and some epic comebacks/dramatic entertainment.

Not sure how or why it all went so wrong him this season but we all knew he was done after losing to Watford 4-1 after our already disasterous league form. Still a legend of the club for me.

red4ever 79

I read childish posts like this and can't imagine you've ever been to Old Trafford.

You're dancing on the managerial grave of a legend. A man for whom the club means the world. Just give it a rest.
Legitimate question. He has left us worse off than when he took over. Believe we were 6th when he came in. What are we now 8th. 8 points off the bottom and 11 off the top
So he has left us closer after all

red4ever 79

Ole brought far more asthetically pleasing football than Mourinho or LVG, stable results and some epic comebacks/dramatic entertainment.

Not sure how or why it all went so wrong him this season but we all knew he was done after losing to Watford 4-1 after our already disasterous league form. Still a legend of the club for me.
No pens for us. Look up the stats. Only 1 this season. 17 last and 22 the year before

Robbie Boy

Yup, I'll always love him as a player and he seems a good guy. I didn't enjoy listening to his ramblings the last few months, and it was clear as day that he needed to be relieved of his duties. I wish the Board had of just pulled the trigger after the Liverpool game, as it all became a shambles after that. Watching him get mocked relentlessly by oppo fans etc, the past few weeks, hasn't been pleasant to watch.

I was always highly dubious of his abilities as a manager, and he exceeded what I thought he was capable of. So, thanks for bringing some much needed positivity back post-Mourinho. Also, thanks for making me finally believe we were capable of a title challenge, as I most certainly did coming into this season. Ultimately, things have been untenable for weeks now, and feck the Board for letting it get to this.

Last edited:

The Hilton

Legitimate question. He has left us worse off than when he took over. Believe we were 6th when he came in. What are we now 8th. 8 points off the bottom and 11 off the top
So he has left us closer after all
You're just so incredibly childish. This is a thread for thanking Ole, and you just can't help but to have to vomit your toxicity all over it. A bit like an evangelical friend I had a while ago that simply couldn't accept me not being religious.

Club legend parts ways with the club, and you're celebrating and denigrating, I can only assume "red4ever 79" means "red4afewyearsatmost 79".

The Hilton

It is true, Ole failed at what he set out to do, think it’s patronising to him to try and dress it up. He tried but someone who was plodding along at Molde was never going to be good enough, just common sense.

Shame it didn’t end sooner for his sake, he was a great player for us but a very no poor manager who has left a mess. One has no relation to the other and failing as a manger has no impact on what he achieved as a player and vice versa.
You've argued against a point I didn't make. Ole did fail this season, and he did have to go.

However, the culture and atmosphere around the club is lightyears ahead of where it was when he came in, when the dressing room were in full mutiny and everyone involved in the club had spent 3 years being insulted by the previous manager.

Roboc7

You've argued against a point I didn't make. Ole did fail this season, and he did have to go.

However, the culture and atmosphere around the club is lightyears ahead of where it was when he came in, when the dressing room were in full mutiny and everyone involved in the club had spent 3 years being insulted by the previous manager.
Ole not insulting people isn’t an achievement, its equally as bad in different ways. It’s laughable people celebrating the culture and effort of this team. The toxicity left with Jose, was an open goal picking up team after that.

What Ole set out to do after that hasn’t happened and he’s found himself building up finishing 2nd as an achievement, ironic considering what he had to say when Jose did the same.

DevTheRed

Will always be a club legend. Unfortunately not good enough to get us to the next stage, but gave his upmost best to try and do so, which I will always appreciate. Don’t get the abuse towards the guy from the minority, he is a United fan through and through, and every decision he made was always made with the clubs best intentions.

Still feel he could have some role at the club, be it as a youth developer or something because he does understand the culture of the club as good as anyone.

Thank you for the memories, all the best for the future.

The Hilton

Ole not insulting people isn’t an achievement, its equally as bad in different ways. It’s laughable people celebrating the culture and effort of this team. The toxicity left with Jose, was an open goal picking up team after that.

What Ole set out to do after that hasn’t happened and he’s found himself building up finishing 2nd as an achievement, ironic considering what he had to say when Jose did the same.
Well it's quite clearly something that Jose couldn't manage, so it must be a skill. And no the toxicity Jose left wasn't an open goal to fix, it required shifting half of the squad who simply didn't want to be here.

Your second paragraph is, once again, arguing against something I never said. I agree that Ole failed this season, so I don't know why you keep bringing that up. However, we're in a much better place in terms of atmosphere and culture around the club than when he took over, except perhaps for the toxic fans who can't handle a thread existing to thank Ole that isn't torpedoed by that toxicity.

red4ever 79

You're just so incredibly childish. This is a thread for thanking Ole, and you just can't help but to have to vomit your toxicity all over it. A bit like an evangelical friend I had a while ago that simply couldn't accept me not being religious.

Club legend parts ways with the club, and you're celebrating and denigrating, I can only assume "red4ever 79" means "red4afewyearsatmost 79".
No need to share your religious views, doubt anyone cares to be honest. I was responding to a post who said he left us one step closer. Legendary player he might have been, but let's not actually lie.

The Hilton

No need to share your religious views, doubt anyone cares to be honest. I was responding to a post who said he left us one step closer. Legendary player he might have been, but let's not actually lie.
You were responding in a thread dedicated to thanking Ole, that you clearly have no part in. Forcing your toxicity into a thread designed to keep it out. Playground stuff.

As for leaving us closer, I think he's left us in a much better state than he took us over, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

Roboc7

Well it's quite clearly something that Jose couldn't manage, so it must be a skill. And no the toxicity Jose left wasn't an open goal to fix, it required shifting half of the squad who simply didn't want to be here.

Your second paragraph is, once again, arguing against something I never said. I agree that Ole failed this season, so I don't know why you keep bringing that up. However, we're in a much better place in terms of atmosphere and culture around the club than when he took over, except perhaps for the toxic fans who can't handle a thread existing to thank Ole that isn't torpedoed by that toxicity.
So everyone is happy to be exactly where we were three years ago when the manager was actively trying to be sacked (think we had more points actually), that would just prove my point.

Team has no accountability, a Captain that isn’t a leader, runs less than virtually every team in the league, doesn’t react to any defeat or humiliation other than making empty promises. In comparison the taking over when the biggest problem has already gone it’s going to be a much harder task.

red4ever 79

You were responding in a thread dedicated to thanking Ole, that you clearly have no part in. Forcing your toxicity into a thread designed to keep it out. Playground stuff.

As for leaving us closer, I think he's left us in a much better state than he took us over, so we'll have to agree to disagree.
We surely will. 400m spent. 8 points off the bottom. Responsible for 20% of our overall Premier league home defeats. Minus goal difference in November. No trophies won multiple semi finals lost.