Solskjaer's legacy and his future

lawliet354

glad we don't have those moments of quality any more ! wont miss them !
Hundreds of millions spent for moments of quality!!! What a spectacular return of investment. Only one who miss him are fans of other clubs

Thank feck he left, if he was still in charge we'd battle with Burnley and Everton for 17th place

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Yes Ole did a bad job but a lot of the blame being attributed to him is actually down to clueless Ed. Ed has been running the show since David Gill and there’s probably never been a more incompetent CEO in football. The man didn’t know how to negotiate in the football World, he didn’t understand it and created many many issues that you see today.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Yes Ole did a bad job but a lot of the blame being attributed to him is actually down to clueless Ed. Ed has been running the show since David Gill and there’s probably never been a more incompetent CEO in football. The man didn’t know how to negotiate in the football World, he didn’t understand it and created many many issues that you see today.
Woodward wasn't the one on the training field and caused all our players to stagnant. That's a bigger crime than wasting money.

bludsucker

Woodward wasn't the one on the training field and caused all our players to stagnant. That's a bigger crime than wasting money.
So if the problem was ole on the training field that should have gone when ole left and the “stagnation” should have gone away. Funny how ole was the root of all our problems when he was here and now that he is gone he is still the root of all our problems.

MalaysianRed7

I believe that his 2019 summer transfer window might genuinely be the worst, most damaging one in our history. We managed to make a profit on Dan James, who was the best signing at £15m. Other than that, we signed Maguire at £80m and AWB for £60m, two players he certainly requested for and wanted as part of his culture revolution. That is serious ineptitude on every level, because these two will never be title winning players, but we also can’t sell them unless we accept a massive loss, and even benching them is difficult due to their price and wage.

A portion of the blame even has to go to him for these players’ collective attitude. This is what happens when the previous manager continually panders to particular players no matter their performance levels and even captains one of them despite said player being nothing more than a mid table CB who had just been at the club for 6 months, while totally ostracising the rest, like Dalot, Bailly, Donny and Lingard. You get a dressing room who are blatantly not together, and also one who clearly cannot take criticism. There is a clear correlation between how harsh Rangnick has progressively been in the press, and our worsening results. There have even been reports that a select group of players are unhappy with Rio’s vehement criticism. Maybe play well rather than complain then…

However, I wouldn’t blame him for our insipid football. To be honest, we played much better stuff under him last season and after lockdown in 2020 than what we are seeing now. Even his biggest critic cannot say that the period in 2020 where we won four games in a row by three goals or the 6-2 wins against Leeds and Roma weren’t exhilarating, not least beating Southampton by nine. Under Ralf, we’ve only had two truly comfortable wins, the 3-1s at home to Burnley and away to Brentford. We’ve had to scramble and score deceiving late goals in our only other two goal victories over Brighton and Leeds. Ole’s football this season was garbage, but so is Ralf’s. I wouldn’t fully blame Ralf either though, because this dressing room are a bunch of nothing players bar a few.

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
So ole didnt train, he didnt pick the player bought, he didnt set up cone. Maybe it's not his fault after all

elmo

So if the problem was ole on the training field that should have gone when ole left and the “stagnation” should have gone away. Funny how ole was the root of all our problems when he was here and now that he is gone he is still the root of all our problems.
You can't change players attitude and fitness mid-season especially when they know the the guy taking over isn't having the job full time.

bludsucker

You can't change players attitude and fitness mid-season especially when they know the the guy taking over isn't having the job full time.
But ole did just that when he took over mid season from jose. We went on a huge winning run while he was an interim manager. People here don’t give him enough credit. Granted he wasn’t the best manager in the world. He also wasn’t the worst manager as is being stated here. And laying the blame at his feet 6 months after he has left us is being facetious.

elmo

But ole did just that when he took over mid season from jose. We went on a huge winning run while he was an interim manager. People here don’t give him enough credit. Granted he wasn’t the best manager in the world. He also wasn’t the worst manager as is being stated here. And laying the blame at his feet 6 months after he has left us is being facetious.
The players weren't spoilt under Jose, they were under Ole.

If you don't get how 3 years of letting them do whatever they want can kill off the squad's discipline, there is no further need to discuss.

gajender

We had plenty of luck during that huge winning run with several undeserved wins and lucky escapes eventually it all evened out and we crashed and burned which usually happens when uder lying stats don't justify the actual results .

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm glad you can see it the way I do from another club.

Any other manager who does a bad job gets fired before the problem gets starts spread around like an infection.

We don't have that.

Some people blame Ole whilst some people blame how the club is run like Woodward and the Glazers.

I'm one of the biggest Jose haters of all time but I don't spend my time looking back at that and blaming him for accepting a job - I blame the guys who gave it. I don't see how that's any different to managers like Moyes, LVg, Jose, Ole & Rangnick.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I believe that his 2019 summer transfer window might genuinely be the worst, most damaging one in our history. We managed to make a profit on Dan James, who was the best signing at £15m. Other than that, we signed Maguire at £80m and AWB for £60m, two players he certainly requested for and wanted as part of his culture revolution. That is serious ineptitude on every level, because these two will never be title winning players, but we also can’t sell them unless we accept a massive loss, and even benching them is difficult due to their price and wage.

A portion of the blame even has to go to him for these players’ collective attitude. This is what happens when the previous manager continually panders to particular players no matter their performance levels and even captains one of them despite said player being nothing more than a mid table CB who had just been at the club for 6 months, while totally ostracising the rest, like Dalot, Bailly, Donny and Lingard. You get a dressing room who are blatantly not together, and also one who clearly cannot take criticism. There is a clear correlation between how harsh Rangnick has progressively been in the press, and our worsening results. There have even been reports that a select group of players are unhappy with Rio’s vehement criticism. Maybe play well rather than complain then…

However, I wouldn’t blame him for our insipid football. To be honest, we played much better stuff under him last season and after lockdown in 2020 than what we are seeing now. Even his biggest critic cannot say that the period in 2020 where we won four games in a row by theee goals or the 6-2 wins against Leeds and Roma weren’t exhilarating, not least beating Southampton by nine. Under Ralf, we’ve only had two truly comfortable wins, the 3-1s at home to Burnley and away to Brentford. We’ve had to scramble and score deceiving late goals in our only other two goal victories over Brighton and Leeds. Ole’s football this season was garbage, but so is Ralf’s. I wouldn’t fully blame Ralf either though, because this dressing room are a bunch of nothing players bar a few.
Well said and agreed

Redfrog

I don’t think that’s possible. Ole has undone all the good work LVG and Mou did. It will take time to sell all the players Ole brought in. We are in such a mess! Ole put us 10 years back in 3 years!
Would like to be ten years back bro. We were top of English football back then !

bludsucker

The players weren't spoilt under Jose, they were under Ole.

If you don't get how 3 years of letting them do whatever they want can kill off the squad's discipline, there is no further need to discuss.
If you seriously believe that players were let loose to do whatever they wanted in the three years he was here then there is nothing to discuss too. Also if letting players do whatever they wanted got us to 2nd and 3rd place finishes then I suppose any idiot can become a manager at premier league level.

R'hllor

Whenever gets though press button to mention no context league position, at least you have something in common with JM bois, you cant make that shit up.

bludsucker

We had plenty of luck during that huge winning run with several undeserved wins and lucky escapes eventually it all evened out and we crashed and burned which usually happens when uder lying stats don't justify the actual results .
We also had brilliant wins and scored a lot of goals during that period. Also we saw the best of some of the players that are underperforming now under a supposedly better tactical manager.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
We also had brilliant wins and scored a lot of goals during that period. Also we saw the best of some of the players that are underperforming now under a supposedly better tactical manager.
Which is not a surprise when you consider that Mou clearly had a tactical plan and was drilling them well, while being a toxic character, and Solskjaer who talked a lot about vibes etc could really lift the mood while relying on Mou's tactical work. For some time it was a bit like the perfect combination and explained that great run (at least partially, it's never that simple alone).

bludsucker

Which is not a surprise when you consider that Mou clearly had a tactical plan and was drilling them well, while being a toxic character, and Solskjaer who talked a lot about vibes etc could really lift the mood while relying on Mou's tactical work. For some time it was a bit like the perfect combination and explained that great run (at least partially, it's never that simple alone).
If that was the case then the bounce would have lasted for maybe the rest of the season and his lack of talent would have shown in his first full season or even his second season here. That clearly was not the case. Ole was a shite manager for like 4 months of his whole term here as he could not get ronaldo, sancho and bruno to fit in the same system. But this revisionism about his time here being disastrous and all his success being down to mourinho is codswallop.

Karlos PFC

If that was the case then the bounce would have lasted for maybe the rest of the season and his lack of talent would have shown in his first full season or even his second season here. That clearly was not the case. Ole was a shite manager for like 4 months of his whole term here as he could not get ronaldo, sancho and bruno to fit in the same system. But this revisionism about his time here being disastrous and all his success being down to mourinho is codswallop.
Success? Think again, what constitutes success for a club like Man United

wolvored

Success what do you define success? Spending £440 mill to win feck all?

killerboi2

I don’t think that’s possible. Ole has undone all the good work LVG and Mou did. It will take time to sell all the players Ole brought in. We are in such a mess! Ole put us 10 years back in 3 years!
Just when I thought the thread couldn't get anymore ridiculous with people still pretending a man who left months ago is still our manager...

We are actually pretty much back to Mourinho's "good work". 0-1, 1-1 scorelines, a dreadful style of football and De Gea being one of our highest rated players if not man of the match in every damn game.

King29

Well going by the posts i here and looking at how the team is faring since his departure, i would define success as winning a game with this team. Which ole did quite frequently I suppose.
After 3 years and 300 million plus in spending, success is winning trophies. Not "winning a game with this team".

The team struggling to win a game right now doesn't mean ole was successful. If anything it's almost evidence of how unsuccessful he was in building a team.

bludsucker

After 3 years and 300 million plus in spending, success is winning trophies. Not "winning a game with this team".

The team struggling to win a game right now doesn't mean ole was successful. If anything it's almost evidence of how unsuccessful he was in building a team.
Fair enough. Ole wasn’t very successful here. And i never said he was successful here. I said attributing any success he had here in terms of results and wins and goals scored to mourinho was being facetious.

MUW4Eva

How can people talk about his legacy, without mentioning his daughter??

She is on the cusp of our first team, and has already made her debut for us in the FA Cup this season.

Surely that is his true legacy??

Red00012

How can people talk about his legacy, without mentioning his daughter??

She is on the cusp of our first team, and has already made her debut for us in the FA Cup this season.

Surely that is his true legacy??
Right

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I wouldn't say his full time was disastrous looking at the results, but his first months were title-winning quality. It slowly deteriorated and I agree it collapsed this season. I also wouldn't say it was due to Mourinho, I like to acknowledge that Ole really unlocked Mou's team, and that's not an accident, that happens by pulling the right levers for the squad he inherited.

I still would trust Ole to do good work as an interim at a club who had a good but toxic manager before him because of this.

Chairman Steve

He should have just had the remainder of the 18/19 season. If he had the horrific end of the season that he did, then you’d have given the benefit of the doubt because there was no way it was sustainable. It was a freak run of results. You don’t go from somewhere like Molde to Manchester United sadly. That gap is way too big. That’s like going from being the manager of the local McDonalds to CEO of Alphabet.

A lot of people were guilty (including myself) of getting carried away with that PSG result in Paris. After that game, it was extremely disappointing and there would have been no way I’d have considered him for the permanent job, if it was still not decided.

We‘ve provided a massive cautionary tale for the rest of Europe.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Revisionism is claiming Ole was a shite manager for 4 months. He was always shite. He did a few good things but mostly he will be remembered for wanting to return to “the United way” a fictional image in his head.

killerboi2

Revisionism is claiming Ole was a shite manager for 4 months. He was always shite. He did a few good things but mostly he will be remembered for wanting to return to “the United way” a fictional image in his head.
The majority of people on here wanted him in before those 4 months. Anyone pretending otherwise is the real revisionism.

McTerminator

He also left is with a squad that basically improved feck all under his stint which will set us back for years.

That's not even counting how many players he have ruined by having no discipline at all which has left us with this shit fest we call a team which lacks fitness, motivation and discipline.
So the same as his predecessors post SAF then.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I am reminded of the quote about how the stock market has predicted nine out of the last five recessions.

mctrials23

I can't tell if you are joking here...

Ole was a shite manager for almost the entire time he was here. The last 4 months is just when his luck ran out and his complete lack of managerial ability was exposed.

If you have even watched 20 minutes of Liverpool, City, Chelsea or any other team in our ballpark of size you might notice some subtle differences in the way we play compared to them. You might notice that they operate as a cohesive unit that attacks and defends together, has patterns of play and obvious shapes to their transitions. United had basically none of that.

How many times over the past 3 years do you truly think that we outplayed our opponents. 30% maybe? When you have a squad worth half a billion pounds you should be beating almost every team in the league simply because you are spending 4x what they are. You should have good enough players that given a similar number of chances to the opposition you score more of them. Thats quite literally how we won most of our games. Outplayed by relegation fodder but a couple of our players dig out a result and unsurprisingly the opposition who have a crap striker and a team put together for £50m aren't quite as clinical as us.

Nothing about Oles tenure suggested that he was going to compete with Liverpool, City or Chelsea. We were always a country mile off being as good as them.

Good teams with good managers play good football. They have an obvious and identifiable purpose on the pitch. We didn't have that at any point outside of Oles "counter-attack them" strategy which unsurprisingly gets a bit harder when the opposition sit with 10 men behind the ball. Opposition managers even got to the point where they were saying either "United are easy to play against because you know exactly what they will do" or "Who knows which United will show up today". Neither of which are ringing endorsements of a manager after nearly 3 years and hundreds of millions spent.

As soon as a couple of our "saviour" players started misfiring under Ole we fell off a cliff because there was literally no fundamentals to fall back on. I actually find it astounding that people can watch any amount of football and think that Ole was anything but completely out of his depth at United. He quite literally added no value to those players outside of being on good terms with them for most of the time he was her. Crap manager. Utterly crap.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
If his first 20 games that are so lauded by some around here are a testament of his genius. Why cant he replicate it or at least see whats wrong for the past 2 years with additional 400m players of his chosing

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I can't tell if you are joking here...

Ole was a shite manager for almost the entire time he was here. The last 4 months is just when his luck ran out and his complete lack of managerial ability was exposed.

If you have even watched 20 minutes of Liverpool, City, Chelsea or any other team in our ballpark of size you might notice some subtle differences in the way we play compared to them. You might notice that they operate as a cohesive unit that attacks and defends together, has patterns of play and obvious shapes to their transitions. United had basically none of that.

How many times over the past 3 years do you truly think that we outplayed our opponents. 30% maybe? When you have a squad worth half a billion pounds you should be beating almost every team in the league simply because you are spending 4x what they are. You should have good enough players that given a similar number of chances to the opposition you score more of them. Thats quite literally how we won most of our games. Outplayed by relegation fodder but a couple of our players dig out a result and unsurprisingly the opposition who have a crap striker and a team put together for £50m aren't quite as clinical as us.

Nothing about Oles tenure suggested that he was going to compete with Liverpool, City or Chelsea. We were always a country mile off being as good as them.

Good teams with good managers play good football. They have an obvious and identifiable purpose on the pitch. We didn't have that at any point outside of Oles "counter-attack them" strategy which unsurprisingly gets a bit harder when the opposition sit with 10 men behind the ball. Opposition managers even got to the point where they were saying either "United are easy to play against because you know exactly what they will do" or "Who knows which United will show up today". Neither of which are ringing endorsements of a manager after nearly 3 years and hundreds of millions spent.

As soon as a couple of our "saviour" players started misfiring under Ole we fell off a cliff because there was literally no fundamentals to fall back on. I actually find it astounding that people can watch any amount of football and think that Ole was anything but completely out of his depth at United. He quite literally added no value to those players outside of being on good terms with them for most of the time he was her. Crap manager. Utterly crap.
Excellent post! It’s crazy that the cult of Solskjaer is still running wild!