Solskjaer's signings - Future use

Untd55

How do you actually rate our signings in terms of future use? Considering a lot of people want us to play high-pressure football, do they actually fit this kind of football that we want to play? Do you consider them good signings?

Maguire - 1/10
- Has a severe lack of pace and acceleration, leaving him unable to recover from a high press. I see him having very limited use for a progressive manager as he cannot recover, and requires sitting deep to make up for this inadequacy.
- He is not a great defender even when sitting deep; we have shown multiple times that we have had to sacrifice attacking strength for having two defensive midfielders that will sit deep. Again reduces the effectiveness of a pressing team.
- £80m and wages will make him very difficult to sell and will put pressure on any succeeding manager to play him. Will the next manager sacrifice his game for Maguire and thereby damage the level of effectiveness?
- Passing is pretty average; we are not talking about Van Dijk level here. Again, his limited passing game will make it more difficult to press.
- For me, he is a very poor signing for any future manager.

Wan Bissaka - 4/10
- One of the best defenders in the world when one-on-one and in terms of recovery.
- However, he has no attacking ability whatsoever, which is hugely important to pressing teams that rely on them to attack. This makes him unsuitable to the right-back role for a future manager.
- There is a bit of promise with him, though, as he could possibly be tried in the centre back role in a high press. He has the recovery pace and tackling ability to do this. As a right-back, though, he is not really suitable, so the rating stands.
- He will probably be easier to sell than Maguire due to his defensive ability alone, but again, we will likely be stuck with him if he cannot adapt to centre back.

James - 2/10
- I think it is pretty clear he is out of his depth. Has pace but nothing else.
- He gets an additional point as he should be fairly easy to shift. Won't get much for him in transfer fees, but is on a relatively small wage to what we usually pay players.

Fernandes - 7/10
- Can be very loose with possession which needs to be worked upon, but this might be due to trying to force the issue with very little movement in the team. Still, it could be frustrating in a team that wants to keep possession if he continues to do this.
- Decent at pressing and tackling. At times he makes more tackles than some of our defensive players in games.
- Tends to be the only one that can create something against a settled defence.

De Beek - 7/10
- Good at sustaining possession and with the ball at his feet.
- System-based player who will improve in a higher pressure system and increased movement from the team.
- A team-based player that has the ability and work ethic to make for an important part of such a team. Contributes to goals and creativity.

Unknowns
Pellistri - Looks like has been bought for the youth team.
Diallo - Again, another youth player.

Greck

Maguire and James will always be a black mark on Ole's time here because they represent 100m worth of "not good enough" in just one summer. AWB was overpriced but has his uses. He, Bruno and the other signings weren't actually bad, the rest are actually good signings depending on how they are used going forward

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Other than DJ, these signings have been huge investments by the club. How on earth do they reconcile this with the fact that any new manager coming in simply may not fancy these players? It's hardly an inconceivable possibility.

el3mel

It will take lots of guts to drop Maguire when a new manager comes but I think someone will do it eventually. Remember that he's now 27, imagine him 2 or 3 years later. His pace issue will become more and more problematic as it goes on.

I think AWB will be useful here though. Definitely a good fullback with some issues but will always have his uses.

As for James this is his last season for us anyway.

Enigma_87

You know who
AWB/James/Maguire will be tough to use for a more progressive manager. Would say Bruno too. I'm not sure how he will look in a more possession oriented side where you need great passing skills between the lines.

To me all the transfers suit a more defensive manager playing in a deep defensive line and low block.

Skills

Snitch
AWB/James/Maguire will be tough to use for a more progressive manager. Would say Bruno too. I'm not sure how he will look in a more possession oriented side where you need great passing skills between the lines.

To me all the transfers suit a more defensive manager playing in a deep defensive line and low block.
If Guardiola can use someone as high risk as De Bruyne, no other manager in the world should have any right to say he can't use Bruno in his system.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
AWB - with proper coaching he might become decent attacking wise. That's what happened with Gaz for example. If that fails then I can see AWB being used either as a Wes Brown/Ivanovic type of FB/CB hybrid or a CB in a 3 men CB. He's got the pace, he's got the strength and the inches to do it.

Maguire - that a toughie as pace can't be coached which is exactly why I never wanted the guy to start with. Maguire might do well in a defence that play deep. However no big club does that. Else we will have to surround him with pacey players. Whatever happens Maguire will be the Achilles heel of this defence. Unless we sell him which is unlikely we'll have to build a defence that cater to his weaknesses

James- DJ can be used sparingly when the team need to counter attack or defend the result. If properly coached then he can do loads of damage against high line defences

Bruno - He's an easyiest player to settle within a formation. He's a great no 10 and he can move to a B2B or even a mezzala if needed. I wonder if he can play as a false striker tbh.

VDB- He's the second easiest player to settle down. He can play B2B or as a no 10. With proper coaching he might even become a Carrick type of DM as well

Amad Traore - he's raw but he's mint. He can play as RW and as LW and his talent is real.

Pellistri - I don't know enough about him.

Handré1990

If Guardiola can use someone as high risk as De Bruyne, no other manager in the world should have any right to say he can't use Bruno in his system.
Was going to say so myself. Also, I don’t really rate Maguire highly, but 1/10? Give me a break!

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
An Everton win but don't be surprised if Utd come away with a decent win

Enigma_87

You know who
De Bruyne is a fantastic passer and crosser of the ball. Bruno is already close to a finished article and doesn't have the same attributes. Bruno IMO is at his best when he passes into space and uses the movement of our forward line. Against a packed defence he struggles and generally this is one of our issues as a whole in attack.

I don't feel a lot confident he can pull the same like KdB when facing limited space to pass into. Recycling possession IMO is not one of his best traits. Again, playing on counter and moving through the lines and passing into space is where he could be at his best and it points to deeper defensive line with direct passes to use the pace of Martial/Greenwood/Rashford, etc..

Gabagoo

Basing my ratings how much they have improved the first team (i.e. the value of their place in the squad) and on future potential. I'm ignoring transfer fees.

Maguire - 5/10
  • decent old-school defender, has improved us
  • many better defenders that we could have bought instead and he's slow

Wan-Bissaka - 9/10
  • best 1v1 defender on the planet, greatly improves the team
  • looks naturally athletic so hopefully will retain this level of defending for years

James - 1/10
  • the most technically-limited United player I have ever seen

Fernandes - 7/10
  • early performances were fantastic
  • later performances, including loads last season whilst he was still scoring goals, fell off the cliff - and he's still one of our best players (says a lot about the rest of them)

van de Beek - 5/10
  • bought him for the bench - genius, well done management
  • could be useful as a squad option in the future

Pellistri - 3/10
  • doesn't help us now
  • from what I have seen, I don't think he will make it here - not quick or skillful enough for the league - but of course I hope he proves me wrong

Diallo - 6/10
  • doesn't help us now
  • from what I have seen, he is a talented little player that needs to keep getting faster and stronger to really make a difference in Premier League matches as a winger

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Maguire and James will always be a black mark on Ole's time here because they represent 100m worth of "not good enough" in just one summer. AWB was overpriced but has his uses. He, Bruno and the other signings weren't actually bad, the rest are actually good signings depending on how they are used going forward
Pretty much thinking the same.

tomaldinho1

Maguire would be moved on but I think the others would have a future with a coach who has a track record of improving players. Bruno is actually perfect for the AM role in Hasenhuttl's 4222 given his workrate and all round game, I think he'd be incredible and AWB is still so young I feel like he could definitely improve. He might not be the long term answer but he's got a future with us.

James, in particular, gets a bad rap from Ole's tactics because it seems like the way he sets up teams, he's similar to Mou in that I think he assumes the player can play the role positionally. This is fine if you're signing someone like Matic but not with younger players who have likely not worked under too many top level manager or even moved clubs before. James with guidance could be excellent as a second striker - if you got him well versed tactically on how to press he'd be a nightmare to play against. Maybe he wouldn't start but he'd have an important role off the bench.

Trex

Pique is slow but plays in Barca defence for years,no problem with Maguire if his partner is quick

Bruno would fit into any system

Van De beek would look better if we actually played with more purpose and style

Telles as an attacking fullback is what we should be utilizing

Pellistri and Diallo if good enough would have no problem

Dan James isn't good enough

Wan bissaka am worried about most managers prioritize attacking qualities in a fullback,could be a limitation for the potential new boss considering the amount spent might be forced to stick with him by the board

Cavani no problem, Ighalo is almost done here

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
As usual people have to go to extremes to make their point. Maguire won't be sold or will be a problem for next manager, laughable to give him 1/10.

GazTheLegend

As usual people have to go to extremes to make their point. Maguire won't be sold or will be a problem for next manager, laughable to give him 1/10.
Also Fernandes as a 7/10 might be the most laughable thing on redcafe right now

Absolute horseshit

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I feel like Pochettino will use VDB like he used dele alli.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Pique is slow but plays in Barca defence for years,no problem with Maguire if his partner is quick

Bruno would fit into any system

Van De beek would look better if we actually played with more purpose and style

Telles as an attacking fullback is what we should be utilizing

Pellistri and Diallo if good enough would have no problem

Dan James isn't good enough

Wan bissaka am worried about most managers prioritize attacking qualities in a fullback,could be a limitation for the potential new boss considering the amount spent might be forced to stick with him by the board

Cavani no problem, Ighalo is almost done here
Pique played most of his career in a team were opponents would be lucky if they kept the ball for more then 10 minutes per game. He did struggle with United at his early age though. Mifsud for example made Pique look like Maguire which does says something.

PS I don't recall the Spanish Liga being as defensive as the EPL is. FFS I haven't seen teams playing so defensively since the catenaccio was in vogue.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I have no idea what happened to Maguire. He genuinely looked good initially. I'd say he's still useful for other managers. Guardiola wanted him and Guardiola wanting one of our players is always seen as a positive on here

James is bad. I'd send him on loan in hope he improves. But even now we don't really need him. Martial can play on the left when needed

Awb is poor attacking wise but I think he has all the assets to improve. He's just 22. We can always get a traditional right winger that knows how to stay wide and keep the width on the right instead of Awb being the one to do that

Bruno is good. The rest, only time will tell

Enigma_87

You know who
Maguire is definitely not a 1. In a deep line he could be 7 or 8. The problem/question most have is how he would fare in a high line and to me there he will have problems and the opposition can target him easily.

If the next manager plays a deeper line he should be ok. If not I'd rather cut our losses like with Lukaku.

el3mel

Aren't Barca fans pretty much slaughtering Pique every match these days ? Beside La Liga isn't similar to Premier League in terms of intensity anyway.

UpWithRivers

De Bruyne is 10 times the player Bruno is. As a United fan thats not easy to say but Bruno will never be De Bruyne level and cant play anything like him. Bruno doesn't have the passing range, loses the ball too much, doesnt have the tactical or defensive awareness and doesnt score the goals De Bruyne does. DE Bruyne is a complete player helping both defensively and offensively. Its like City saying if Giggs can play CM then Mahrez can.

roonster09

Scout
Maguire is definitely not a 1. In a deep line he could be 7 or 8. The problem/question most have is how he would fare in a high line and to me there he will have problems and the opposition can target him easily.

If the next manager plays a deeper line he should be ok. If not I'd rather cut our losses like with Lukaku.
He can play highline just like he did at Leicester when Rodgers took over in Feb. People have very simplistic Pace = can play highline, slow = can't play in high line when defenders like Pique played in highline for a decade and he is as slow if not slower as Maguire.

Managers like Pep who plays highline wanted Maguire but somehow people assume Maguire can't play in higher defensive line.

R77

• AWB will appear less useless in a more functionally balanced team. Having McT or Fred, and whoever's shoehorned up top right as options for build up would make many players struggle.
  • Maguire. Hate slating players, so will refrain from writing my mind. Not ideal. Decent enough in the right circumstances.
  • Bruno. Having a bad patch, but not problematic if/when he pulls out of it. I actually missed most of the last game, thankfully, but saw a clip and he was gurning and rolling like a session gremlin. Not sure what's up there. Looks fecked to me.
  • James. Cheap punt that's unlikely to work out on current evidence. Not an issue if it weren't for the fact he's somehow our only legit wide option. Meh. Next.
  • Telles. Not enough appearances to pass judgement. Just turning up has made Shaw practice crossing by the looks of things. Need to see how he copes defensively in the PL.
  • Van de Beek Along with McT is probably the only CM/CAM in the squad that's not magnetically attracted to the left/center. Important for that alone and should be played more.
  • Pellistri. Too little to go on but looks more immediately conducive to the way Mata gets used, to me. Unfair to expect him to solve the right sided issue, but may turn out to be a useful little player.
  • Diallo. Next to nothing to go on, but reminds of a Nani type. Insane first touch and close control already makes him the proprietor of something we lack. Age, experience, and legal issue means he's just a huge question mark at this point.

That's my reduction either way.

McTerminator

At some point in the not so distant future whether here or at his next club Maguire will be rated on her as an 7 or 8 out of 10 easily.

This over the top slating of our players nonsense is why our fan base don’t deserve nice things... Bruno 7/10 at best rigghhhhtt...

lastly, I always remember Vidic, one of our best ever CBs, for his blistering pace. Wish Maguire was more like him when he’s not experiencing a rocky patch...

Lee565

Cant help but think if James was being managed by klopp and in the system that he plays he may be a very useful player as we have seen even origi look a good back up option under him.

Enigma_87

You know who
He can play highline just like he did at Leicester when Rodgers took over in Feb. People have very simplistic Pace = can play highline, slow = can't play in high line when defenders like Pique played in highline for a decade and he is as slow if not slower as Maguire.

Managers like Pep who plays highline wanted Maguire but somehow people assume Maguire can't play in higher defensive line.
Pep bought ton of CB's for record money that didn't work out. I'm not sure that proves anything.

Maguire played how many games under Rodgers? 7-8 in Prem?

It's not only about pace, also Pique has been ripped apart more than once and at his peak Barcelona was such a force that guaranteed 70-80% possession limiting opposition chances to a minimum. I doubt that can happen here in 1-2 seasons straight away.

roonster09

Scout
Pep bought ton of CB's for record money that didn't work out. I'm not sure that proves anything.

Maguire played how many games under Rodgers? 7-8 in Prem?

It's not only about pace, also Pique has been ripped apart more than once and at his peak Barcelona was such a force that guaranteed 70-80% possession limiting opposition chances to a minimum. I doubt that can happen here in 1-2 seasons straight away.
Pep's CB working out or not isn't relevant here, they identify the player who suits their system, like any transfer whether they adapt and step up is next thing to worry about.

I don't know how many he played, maybe more than 10 and he showed he can play high line.

Hummels played in high line for a decade too and he is one of the slowest CBs. Like any position in football, it's all about balance and complimenting each player with other player, to bring best out of each other.

Stacks

De Bruyne makes a lot of crosses and still has pass completion higher than Bruno. Crosses are typically low success passes. Last season KDB had over 81% passing accuracy, bruno was 75% which is pathetically low. Some seasons KDB as high as 84%. He is way more sure with his passing than Bruno is

Enigma_87

You know who
Pep's CB working out or not isn't relevant here, they identify the player who suits their system, like any transfer whether they adapt and step up is next thing to worry about.

I don't know how many he played, maybe more than 10 and he showed he can play high line.

Hummels played in high line for a decade too and he is one of the slowest CBs. Like any position in football, it's all about balance and complimenting each player with other player, to bring best out of each other.
I just checked Maguire. After Rodgers came Leicester played 11 games in PL. Maguire was sent off in the fourth minute against Burnley after a last man foul, missing further two games.

Played 8 games in total, won 3, drawn 2 and lost 3, averaged goal per game conceded.

Hummels has fallen off a cliff after his peak, Pique also has been very underwhelming lately. Maguire will push 29 next year which will make it even harder for him to keep up in a high line. Most of the players you gave examples of have considerably fallen off after their peak. Boateng is another one after injuries started creeping in and lost few steps.

To me Maguire is not someone who you want to play in a high line. To buy a 80m pounds defender and then buy another 3 fast players around him, just so that it would suit him makes little sense.

Marcelinho87

How can Maguire be a 1 but James a 2? What has VDB done to make him a 7 on par with Bruno?? Madness.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I think both assessments in the OP are wrong...

1. Why can't Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, James, Fernandes or Van de Beek play in a high pressure system? I think they've all (except VDB who seems to lack intensity in his press so far, which I didn't expect) shown qualities that would support playing this way.

2. The ratings:

a. Maguire is a good CB, he showed it before we signed him and also was one of our most consistent performers last season. It's not like ageing is going to change his playstyle massively.
b. AWB is a world class defensive RB. Most of the worlds best wingers play on the left - he can literally nullify the most productive side of any team in the world. He's also improving other aspects of his game.
c. James was bought as potential. He hasn't yet realised it but is still only 22. Another manager could use him more effectively. (Martial, Rashford, Fred, Shaw etc.)
d. Fernandes is one of the best players in the Prem. 7/10 usefulness.