Solskjaer's views on covid19 crisis

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Solskjaer reveals Man Utd are ready to spend in next transfer window! | Interview with Gary Neville

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
"Football's an easy target sometimes, and for me it's unfair to call us all overpaid cnts"

Does anyone want to hear megarich footballers talk about how to defend themselves

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
"Football's an easy target sometimes, and for me it's unfair to call us all overpaid cnts"

Does anyone want to hear megarich footballers talk about how to defend themselves
Yeah. I do. For a start, you've no understanding of what megarich is. Footballers are rich, they aren't mega rich. Mega rich are people like Richard Branson or Philip Green, who as it happens have not only refused to help in a time of crisis but have even looked for handouts and exploited the situation. So footballers are actually pretty low down on the list of people who should be expected to contribute anything to a crisis. They pay their taxes, unlike billionaires. They contribute to charity all year round. Why single them out? What have MP's done? What have hedge-fund managers and investment bankers done? What have billionaire CEOs done?

caid

Its a good interview. Hearing Carrick and McKenna are the primary trainers was an interesting insight into our current set up. Couple of other interesting bits and pieces in there.

The Urban Goose

Who benefits from footballers taking a pay cut? You and me, or the Glazers, Levy, Ashley, the Man City Sheikhs etc?

Who benefits from footballers remaining on full pay and (as many are doing) donating some to the NHS? All of us, through both the donations and through higher income tax receipts for the Government, after all it is tax receipts that are going to pay for all of this furloughing etc.

Falcow

Yeah. I do. For a start, you've no understanding of what megarich is. Footballers are rich, they aren't mega rich. Mega rich are people like Richard Branson or Philip Green, who as it happens have not only refused to help in a time of crisis but have even looked for handouts and exploited the situation. So footballers are actually pretty low down on the list of people who should be expected to contribute anything to a crisis. They pay their taxes, unlike billionaires. They contribute to charity all year round. Why single them out? What have MP's done? What have hedge-fund managers and investment bankers done? What have billionaire CEOs done?
I agree with you and you are right, all those you have listed are worse and Philip Green exploiting the situation is shameful to say the very least, I'm sure he will justify to himself as good business sense etc.

However it still doesnt change the fact that Alexis sanchez has earned more in the last week than a public health nurse will earn in the next 500 weeks, let that sink in. Footballers are not footballing at the moment and should take a cut. Philip Greens business are down revenue at present? Tough, that's one of the risks of being in business, government support in the form of furloughing should not be forthcoming where the business doesnt need it, if there is no time to make that call now then make it clear to the business that it will need to be repaid with interest if the next audit shows that to be the case.

25k people we share the planet with will die today due to malnutrition/starvation. We should all take a pay cut, footballers included.

Balljy

25k people we share the planet with will die today due to malnutrition/starvation. We should all take a pay cut, footballers included.
If everybody took a pay-cut everybody would be far worse off as tax would go down considerably, governments would pay less to help people and the people in real trouble would not get the benefits they need.

Obviously footballers and other businesses get paid too much but now is not the time to reduce the amount anybody, including them pay in tax where possible. If they didn't get paid it would be sat in a bank somewhere earning interest which would be far worse for everbody.

Tiber

We should all take a pay cut,.
My partner is risking her life to help others in an understaffed, underquipped hospital ward. Why the feck should she take a paycut and struggle to pay our mortgage etc ontop of all the other issues she is currently faced with?

People who are being paid millions of pounds to (not) kick a football around should be taking drastic paycuts. But everyone? Absolutely not.

Falcow

If everybody took a pay-cut everybody would be far worse off as tax would go down considerably, governments would pay less to help people and the people in real trouble would not get the benefits they need.

Obviously footballers and other businesses get paid too much but now is not the time to reduce the amount anybody, including them pay in tax where possible. If they didn't get paid it would be sat in a bank somewhere earning interest which would be far worse for everbody.

I take your point but pay cuts can and do take the form of tax increases which is probably what will happen anyway to pay for the lockdown.
My partner is risking her life to help others in an understaffed, underquipped hospital ward. Why the feck should she take a paycut and struggle to pay our mortgage etc ontop of all the other issues she is currently faced with?

People who are being paid millions of pounds to (not) kick a football around should be taking drastic paycuts. But everyone? Absolutely not.
Fair enough pal, I didnt mean to include front line workers and i did make the point that its abhorrent what nurses are paid compared to footballers anyway.

acnumber9

Taking drastic pay cuts would only help the people who earn even more than footballers. It’s a monumentally stupid thing for people to be enraged about at the minute.

Eli Zee

I now agree with the “why should players take a pay cut?” They can just donate money instead. Unless the team is absolutely going to fall apart, I see no reason to do so. Let the billionaire owners help out for a change.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Players taking pay cut will only make sense if the money goes straight to helping those in need, including the medical staffs such as nurses or to help prepare hospitals with a lot more equipments and medicines to deal with the Pandemic.

If it goes back to the club, it makes no sense. But ideally They should be taking pay cuts. They're rich, most could live for 5 years or more without working if They want to and They haven't been spending any effort in getting those money. It's simply about common sense and empathy. But I have seen players donating their wages so it's good to see.

Last edited:

CantonasChip

I've read that the NHS should benefit about £4 million from this. Sounds good, but that works out at about 2.5% of the player's wages being donated, which makes me believe that this is a convenient arrangement to gain good publicity for the players and bring an end to the question of a wage cut.

Personally, I'm very disappointed.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I dunno, if a player's contract states that he is paid regardless of whether he actually kicks a ball around, he should get paid. If in the future, we want footballers to take a pay-cut during a pandemic, we should stipulate this in future contracts.

I would be livid if my boss told me, ehh you can't really work full time from home, here's a pay cut even though you are on a permanent full time contract. Of course I don't make millions a year (Yet, just watch me fecker) (Nah, never in a million years), but that doesn't really change anything.

Sure it would be a nice gesture if they did it, but you can hardly call em cnuts for not doing it.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Excellent points

Matriac

Not sure about the last 2, but at least Jack Dorsey (Twitter boss) is putting his money in a tax scheme. In essence he's donating to himself. And then give some of that out every year to cover his bases.
He'll most likely make more money from this.
Similar to how Gates said he wanted to give away most of his fortune, but yet has become richer every year.

Zlatattack

Well said. Too many dumbos falling for this blatent footballer diversion.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I agree with you and you are right, all those you have listed are worse and Philip Green exploiting the situation is shameful to say the very least, I'm sure he will justify to himself as good business sense etc.

However it still doesnt change the fact that Alexis sanchez has earned more in the last week than a public health nurse will earn in the next 500 weeks, let that sink in. Footballers are not footballing at the moment and should take a cut. Philip Greens business are down revenue at present? Tough, that's one of the risks of being in business, government support in the form of furloughing should not be forthcoming where the business doesnt need it, if there is no time to make that call now then make it clear to the business that it will need to be repaid with interest if the next audit shows that to be the case.

Massive government corruption and civil unrest is the sole reason why peopl are suffering in poverty as opposed to being helped by the state. There is no country on this planet that actually lack the physical resources to have a happy, healthy population, it's solely down to those in power to govern to the best of their ability.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Its a good interview. Hearing Carrick and McKenna are the primary trainers was an interesting insight into our current set up. Couple of other interesting bits and pieces in there.
he needs to get an assistant manager who is tactically astute like Fergie did. Mick seems like he has half checked-out. More consultant than an assistant manager.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

I feel sorry for frontline NHS staff but you should be directing your ire at the shitc**t Tory government. Hancock has done a magnificent job of deflecting from his own party’s shortcomings by slamming footballers.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Taking drastic pay cuts would only help the people who earn even more than footballers. It’s a monumentally stupid thing for people to be enraged about at the minute.
I agree. It’s as though a crafty Tory has chucked this grenade in to deflect from the real issues at hand.

Black.Ghost

Most of the most vulnerable people don’t get the help they need. Everyone is so quick to jump on the comparatively small number of fraud cases to justify strict regimes for benefits that screw normal people over, while enough rich people cost a lot more in tax avoidance and evasion (that’s not directed at footballers)

I don’t think footballers should be singled out for taking a pay cut, and they shouldn’t be expected to prop up the NHS which is the governments responsibility at the end of the day. Rich people in general should be grateful they are comfortable and be more prepared to help those more vulnerable, even privately rather than big donations. My frustration was not footballers not taking a pay cut but continuing to pay them full pay while non-playing staff were being furloughed. That was unjustifiable in my opinion.