Solutions and future objectives

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Yesterday was a real kick in the almonds. Really believed that we had stumbled upon an actual solution to our footballing problems but it's clear Mourinho isn't willing to swallow his pride and change his methods - sorry @Fortitude. So, what our the solutions? Get rid of Mourinho and hire who? Which players need to go and which need to come in? And more, importantly, what are our realistic aims? What style should be play?

I believed that both LvG and Mourinho would lead us to PL glory but it wasn't to be. Our only title challenge lasted a few weeks so I'm under no illusions that we'll instantly turn into challengers - whoever comes will probably need time and money. How long are we, as fans, willing to wait until we start challenging again? Will we start challenging again or are we destined to become the very thing we laughed at Liverpool for?

Personally, this year is a goner. Next season, I honestly won't expect anything so I'd think our next challenge will, hopefully, be in 2020/21.

El Zoido

I can’t see us winning the league for another decade at least. It’s impossible to predict so far ahead, with with the way we’re structured and run as a club, there’s absolutely no indication we’ll challenge for top honours again. If we make big changes, sure. But you can only judge on what’s in front of you, expecting us to win again is blind hope and wishful thinking, nothing more.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Get a manager that is POSITIVE.

As much as we ripped Klopp at the start, his never ending positive attitude is something that can really help, especially when a team is struggling.

Nailing people when they've not played well publicly is never going to help.

We also start every match defensively, we look to not concede rather than score first. This seems to stem through the team and create a nervous feeling. Only once we go behind do the shackles come off and we start to play some football, by then it's too late.

Yes the squad needs improving in certain areas (RB/RW/CB/CDM) but that'll come with time and investment, it's not an over night thing.

Jose isn't the coach for the long term, and he's throwing his toys out the pram constantly.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
The objective for this season should be:
Qualify for the Champions League.

The objective for next season should be to close the ever widening gap between us and the top teams in Europe and England.

The longer term (within 3-5 years) objective should be to win the European Cup and Premier League at least once.

You need to bring in a mixture of younger players that can have a long term impact and players that can have an immediate impact. Think Eric and the class of 92 between 93 and 96.

We also need a Director of Football type who makes sure the strategy stays in place even when the manager needs changing.

Before that, there needs to be a complete evaluation of where we are as a club. Are the under 18s producing players that can compete in the under 23s. Are the under 23s performing well enough to be involved in first team squads or be sent on loan to a club that suits their potential/current ability.

Is the scouting network good enough?

f_to_z

Our club needs a large scale shuffle starting from the board/owners all in between all the way to the youth academy.

So many factors affecting our recent form and its not just one issue.

The owners main focus is to make money and their least worries is actual football. Our board has no vision and very bad decision making. Recent managers are not right choices as they play negative football, this again goes back to the boards choice..which again was appointed by the owners. Types of players bought are not entirely United material which were the manager and the boards choice. Even our Academy and youth system has not created stars like it did back in the 90s. Our scouting system is very weak compared to many clubs in Europe. Furthermore, contract renewals is a disaster with so many players in last year contracts and no solutions yet.

So to say its just one problem is very naive.

I am very critical because this is United and because the bar was set very high before.

99withaflake

Realistically, and as things stand, our objective should be to make the top 4 and have a good run in either the FA Cup or Champions League.

It goes without saying why being in the top 4 is so important, and this should be the number one focus, but we also need to give the fans something to shout about, and winning the FA Cup or getting to the last 4 of the Champions League would do that. I know it's a tough ask but we can't settle for being shit.

Long term, the club should be doing a couple of things:
  • Reviewing the way the club operates, from the first team to transfers to scouting to the academy to the tea lady. A full review top to the bottom.
  • Appointing a Director of Football and setting a long term strategy for the club, so that whoever is managing us over the next few years, the club is going in the right direction and all of the decisions made are aligned with that strategy. Hopefully Ed steps back and allows the DoF to do their job.
The above will help to bring clarity about who should be managing and coaching us, which players should be brought in, which players should be let go, the values and tactics that are drilled into players from youth level to the first team etc.

That's how I see it anyway. Big changes need to be made with the short term focus being on immediate results but the long term focus being the identify of our playing style.

redtony

Realistically, and as things stand, our objective should be to make the top 4 and have a good run in either the FA Cup or Champions League.

It goes without saying why being in the top 4 is so important, and this should be the number one focus, but we also need to give the fans something to shout about, and winning the FA Cup or getting to the last 4 of the Champions League would do that. I know it's a tough ask but we can't settle for being shit.

Long term, the club should be doing a couple of things:
  • Reviewing the way the club operates, from the first team to transfers to scouting to the academy to the tea lady. A full review top to the bottom.
  • Appointing a Director of Football and setting a long term strategy for the club, so that whoever is managing us over the next few years, the club is going in the right direction and all of the decisions made are aligned with that strategy. Hopefully Ed steps back and allows the DoF to do their job.
The above will help to bring clarity about who should be managing and coaching us, which players should be brought in, which players should be let go, the values and tactics that are drilled into players from youth level to the first team etc.

That's how I see it anyway. Big changes need to be made with the short term focus being on immediate results but the long term focus being the identify of our playing style.

With the current situation, I honestly think top 4 isn't 'realistic' at all

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Our scouting sucks. Straight up. Last year Leicester bought Maguire for 17m. It was no surprise that he was a good player. He was performing well for week in and week out for a horrible Hull City side. Skip ahead a year and all of a sudden we want to spend 60m on him only to be turned down because Leicester wants 80m? Why didn't we buy him straight from Hull City? We are also looking outside of the EPL too much. I like when we used to just buy the best EPL players and had a good core of British players. That's why I loved the Zaha signing, but then we fukced that right up by selling him back to Palace. WTF? Why would we buy a talented, young British player one year only to sell him back (for less money) a year later? Give the guy a chance FFS

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Yesterday was a real kick in the almonds. Really believed that we had stumbled upon an actual solution to our footballing problems but it's clear Mourinho isn't willing to swallow his pride and change his methods - sorry @Fortitude. So, what our the solutions? Get rid of Mourinho and hire who? Which players need to go and which need to come in? And more, importantly, what are our realistic aims? What style should be play?

I believed that both LvG and Mourinho would lead us to PL glory but it wasn't to be. Our only title challenge lasted a few weeks so I'm under no illusions that we'll instantly turn into challengers - whoever comes will probably need time and money. How long are we, as fans, willing to wait until we start challenging again? Will we start challenging again or are we destined to become the very thing we laughed at Liverpool for?

Personally, this year is a goner. Next season, I honestly won't expect anything so I'd think our next challenge will, hopefully, be in 2020/21.
I'm curious to know what you meant by this? What was different yesterday from the Chelsea game?