Some perspective…

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
We had our first choice defence for 3 games out of 5 and it didn't look great. The strange thing is that both Dalot and Reguilon actually haven't been bad, so I don't think you can blame them.
Strange according to EtH he hasn't been able to play his first choice 11 since coming to United, as he has mixed and matched Shaw, Varane, Martinez, AWB and Dalot it makes me wonder what you think his first choicer defence is

Zed 101

I am not a knee jerk kind of guy, I am happy to keep on truckin' I believe things will get better.... however I do find it frustrating that we haven't just got back to basically parking the bus for the short term and building from there, I know Ole is bemoaned here but his good spell when previously we had shipped goals, he switched us to playing counter attack only, ETH may want to play a high press but the players are just not capable, Casemiro and Eriksen do not have the legs, Mount and Bruno do not have the discipline, but we have some of the fastest attackers attackers in the league Rashford, Hoijlund, Martial, Garnacho ++ and in Casemiro, Eriksen, Bruno and Mount ... and Onana we have the players capable of sending those players off on the sprint, the problem Ole had was trying to do something different with these players, and now it seems ETH has the same issue, horses for courses, and right now we got donkeys :)

Drizzle

I am not a knee jerk kind of guy, I am happy to keep on truckin' I believe things will get better.... however I do find it frustrating that we haven't just got back to basically parking the bus for the short term and building from there, I know Ole is bemoaned here but his good spell when previously we had shipped goals, he switched us to playing counter attack only, ETH may want to play a high press but the players are just not capable, Casemiro and Eriksen do not have the legs, Mount and Bruno do not have the discipline, but we have some of the fastest attackers attackers in the league Rashford, Hoijlund, Martial, Garnacho ++ and in Casemiro, Eriksen, Bruno and Mount ... and Onana we have the players capable of sending those players off on the sprint, the problem Ole had was trying to do something different with these players, and now it seems ETH has the same issue, horses for courses, and right now we got donkeys :)
It's a fair point. Casemiro and Bruno are key players for us but neither are natural at retaining possession, preferring to release the ball ASAP, usually first time in Casemiro's case. Rashford is still the classic counterattack weapon. Our defence lacks the organisation and cover to play higher up the pitch.

Hojlund, Mount and Amrabat will help us move up the pitch more organically without pinging hopeful balls over the top. Trouble is we haven't seen anywhere near to ETH's preferred team this season, so best to be patient.

MayfieldsFinest

I get that we didn’t start the season especially great (putting it mildly) but those blaming tactics or the manager need to have a rethink simply down to the injuries / overhaul we’ve had in our defensive unit.

3 of our starting back four are injured, and a new GK is trying to settle in to THAT context, effectively making it 4 out of our starting back 5 (from last season) that are out.

Name me a clubs that wouldn’t have issues with replacing their starting GK and then losing 3 out of your back four…
Couldn't agree more mate. The panic is over the top. The easiest thing in the world to support a successful team... no effort, all reward. Its times like this that you earn the right to enjoy the success that will come eventually, inevitably.......... hopefully.

I'll back them and I'll back Ten Hag and when we are successful again I'll enjoy it and I'll know I've earned it.

Borninthe80ts

I appreciate the effort of the op to change the mood on the site and provide a different view point.

There’s no way we could have planned for the level of injuries and any team would struggle with over half of their first team/squad out.

I’m always hopeful and can see with players returning soon and the team being given room to breathe from the drama, that things can progress. Similar to last season.

I’ve kind of realised that forums are now for complaining rather than a enjoyable discussion with similar minded people. For peace of mind I stay away in times of crisis haha, ignore the extreme reactions and engage with folk in threads I find particularly interesting.
☮

Keanes Magic Hat

He has got 6 very winnable games to build momentum and confidence before the city game. If we can win all those (easier said than done) the narrative around the club will change.

Despite the deficiencies in our squad and injuries we have no excuse for not performing well in those games against lesser squads. I have faith he will get us on the right path.

flappyjay

I’m old enough to remember when half a season of poor form wasn’t usually enough to get fans all hysterical. 5- 6 games seems to be going rate at United.

The virtue of Patience is amiss
10 years of dross and we don't have patience meanwhile Ajax fans are literally rioting.

tomaldinho1

He has got 6 very winnable games to build momentum and confidence before the city game. If we can win all those (easier said than done) the narrative around the club will change.

Despite the deficiencies in our squad and injuries we have no excuse for not performing well in those games against lesser squads. I have faith he will get us on the right path.
Really hope tomorrow we see a lot of resting players. Focus on the league, get those wins ticking along, go into the City game with a plan and at least decent squad fitness wise.

Ghostrider318

There too much drama around the club and that can affect player performance which will bring on more pressure on the club and manager.

We had a year long saga of the club sale. Then rumors of FFP limits, then the whole greenwood case. When we overcame those - BAM Antony and Sancho drama all over again. In all of this the injury crisis has gotten no attention.

We have / had - Hojlund , Mount, Amrabaat, Malacia, Shaw, Varane, Martinez, AWB out with Injuries. to a lesser extend Maguire, Mainoo, Amad.

Any manager would find it tough given those circumstances....When he is able to pick the squad he wants and still fails to gets results then we can raise our pitchforks again

Keanes Magic Hat

Really hope tomorrow we see a lot of resting players. Focus on the league, get those wins ticking along, go into the City game with a plan and at least decent squad fitness wise.
Agree with resting and bringing in players to get them mstch fit but should still get the job done. Definitely need to get those wins ticking for confidence

justsomebloke

I get that we didn’t start the season especially great (putting it mildly) but those blaming tactics or the manager need to have a rethink simply down to the injuries / overhaul we’ve had in our defensive unit.

3 of our starting back four are injured, and a new GK is trying to settle in to THAT context, effectively making it 4 out of our starting back 5 (from last season) that are out.

Name me a clubs that wouldn’t have issues with replacing their starting GK and then losing 3 out of your back four…
Except it's a less convincing explanation if you examine it more closely.

It's only been one game where we both of our normal starting CBs have been out. And Lindelof has proven a more than adequate fill-in in the past.
I wouldn't say it's been looking like there's lots of adjustment issues between Onana and the back 4. If anything, that part of the game has been more functioning than it was with De Gea last season.
A more obvious problem has been that so many of our go-to guys in midfield and up front have performed below previous levels - particularly Casemiro, Eriksen and McTominay, but also to an extent Rashford and Bruno. I can't think of a single player in those positions who have met or surpassed reasonable expectation.

Not that I'm necessarily blaming tactics either. But something is clearly amiss. You wonder how the Sancho/Antony situations are affecting things, together with the fallout from the Greenwood handling and the mess with the club sale.

Glorio

Arsenal away, Spurs away, Bayern away, even Brighton at home are games we could lose during a good season - incidentally these sorts of games are usually spread apart. With us trying to implement a new way of playing, injuries, and this bunch of games all coming early in the season, it's just a cocktail for disaster and pressure building.

Hopefully, we'll start to put a run together and build some confidence in what the manager is trying to do

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The club is rotten at the minute. ETH has a hell of a job on his hands, having already dealt with major issues. We need these owners out of the club and a clear strategy over the next 5 years then.