Southgate doesn’t get the credit he deserves

FatTails

I, for one, am really impressed with Southgate. Realizing the limitations of his squad and his own coaching limitations, he’s remedied that in the best way possible:
  • As tempting as it is to unleash the attackers, he’s opted for the easier option of making England very defensive and hard to beat. This is easier tactically than working out offensive patterns, and one can rely on the percentages, especially playing at home with no travel, and coming up against mostly very weak teams. What’s even more impressive is how much he has drilled this philosophy into the team, that even if they are playing Zimbabwe, they’ll sit deep and hit on the counter, utilizing simple, yet effective, kick and rush football. It’s very effective.
  • He’s made England deadly from set pieces. It’s their best avenue for creating chances. They must be the best team at set pieces since the that peak Stoke team under Pulis. What’s even more impressive is how wholistic it is. Not only are they dangerous from set pieces, but Sterling and Kane particularly are really good at winning them. I wouldn’t be surprised if 50% of his training sessions is set pieces.
  • Realizing that the team lacks the ability to dominate possession, he is happy to concede possession and bypass the midfield entirely, something that any smart coach would do if the midfield is made of two runners/bruisers but limited passers in Rice and Phillips.
As a coach, you need to be a pragmatist and he’s excelled at that. This is a triumph for simple coaching and using the most expensive tools available to create the most basic, yet effective, football possible. Well done.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I agree.

I think he is great and seems like a lovely bloke! I would love to have dinner with him and his wife.

He gets lots of credit from me.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Semi final in WC, final in Euro (With real chance of winning it)
He is surely our best manager over past few decades, in terms of getting results.
There's questionable selection of players in starting line up for sure, but he did make England look like proper solid team in big tournaments.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
I’m confused. I’m praising the man. I think he’s smart and once he’s done with international management, he’ll probably achieve a lot more at Crystal Palace than Hodgson ever has.
If you recognize your limitations and and over come them, they're no longer limitations. It was a sly dig and you know it. "Oh he's going well.. for such a shitty coach"

I’m confused. I’m praising the man. I think he’s smart and once he’s done with international management, he’ll probably achieve a lot more at Crystal Palace than Hodgson ever has.
you start off by highlighting his ‘own coaching limitations’ what are these?

given your subsequent reply of “he’ll probably achieve a lot more at Crystal Palace than Hodgson ever has” which is an obvious, and pretty infantile dig, clearly you don’t rate him.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Viera is the Crystal Palace manager, what?

FatTails

given your subsequent reply of “he’ll probably achieve a lot more at Crystal Palace than Hodgson ever has” which is an obvious, and pretty infantile dig, clearly you don’t rate him.
Reckon he’d coach higher than Palace in the PL? Maybe. I could see him at a West Ham I guess. League football is a bit different and you have to make a lot more decisions, over a lot more games, so who knows.

JB7

It's a dogshit post. Basically all three of his points are saying Southgate has taken the easy option.

Explaining because you stopped reading it early and I wish I had too.

FatTails

It's a dogshit post. Basically all three of his points are saying Southgate has taken the easy option.

Explaining because you stopped reading it early and I wish I had too.
Who cares if it is the easy option and he wins a trophy that the nation has been waiting for for 55 years? You misunderstood my post, I’m afraid.

Jam

“Realising the limitations of his squad”:houllier:

Mental post. He doesn’t realise the potential of his squad

Quite frankly I can’t remember the last time I actually enjoyed England’s football, I’m backing the lads and enjoying the cup runs and atmosphere but the football itself isn’t good. But that’s not just limited to Southgate, when was the last time England were actually an entertaining team?

Southgate is a fantastic personality but an incredibly mediocre manager. He took Boro down and then was slipping in the Championship with a Premier League squad. I can guarantee you after England he won’t accomplish anything at club level if he goes back to it, and will join the manager merry-go-rounds of mid-to-bottom table teams.

If anything he gets too much credit.

Ekeke

Silly post. He's just got to the final, making progress in a tournament beyond what we've managed in over 50 years. Thats a breakthrough deserving recognition.

But not before he did it

FatTails

Silly post. He's just got to the final, making progress in a tournament beyond what we've managed in over 50 years. Thats a breakthrough deserving recognition.

But not before he did it
Exactly what I’m saying? :confused: He gets criticized a lot for his approach to the game, but he’s on the verge of winning the first major trophy in 55 years.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
England have one of the best squads in the entire tournament. The idea that he's made the most out of that squad's "limitations" is insane.

England obviously deserve credit for reaching the final. But that credit lies with your extremely talented (and likeable) group of players. Not with the coach who thinks starting the tournament with Trippier over Shaw at LB or persisting with a Rice/Philips midfield combo is helping things.

Red_Heisenberg

Southgate has got us in back to back semi and then a final.

Personally thought he didn't play to our strengths, but what do I know, he's never done us wrong.

Only criticism is taking grealish off, he never gives the ball away, why take him off when we're trying to close out the game, he stops using having to take on pressure.

Reactions: 711

Mr. Ant

The thing is nobody will remember England played boring defensive football if you manage to win the final.
Southgate will be remembered as a hero for a very long time and nobody will care how the team played even though England is in my opinion possibly the best squad on paper and should be playing a lot better football.
But I don't care. I just hope that you somehow win the trophy. It's been far too long since you won anything and I will be cheering for you.

Macern

Pee pee pants
He’s obviously done well, but how on earth are Mount ahead of Grealish in the #10 and Saka or whoever ahead of Sancho in the RW spot? Grealish and Sancho should start as many games as Kane.

padr81

Supports
Man City
You know who else play negative footie? France, and they won a wc doing it. Who won Euro 2016? Portugal who's tactic was 9 behind the ball and rely on the magic of cr7 or Eder.

I'll take pragmatic football and a trophy if it happens in a heartbeat after seeing my club getting Tuchelled in the cl final thanks.

Southgate took a poor England to wc semis, and a strong one to euro final, with a bit of luck maybe a title.

Southgate now has more knockout wins in the euros than every English manager combined for 53 years. He's a decent coach, if he tried to heavy metal football it and got dumped out in the last 16, people would call him a naive idiot.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
There’s talk about him being negative but England had 20 shots (10 on target) to Denmark’s 6 (3 on target). I’m pretty sure England have also had a better XG in most games.

I do think he should think about Grealish starting the final over Mount. If he goes with a back five then Trippier can replace Saka.

Regardless of what happens on Sunday, he’s reignited the belief in England fans that we can compete at this level. He’s proved me wrong. I thought England would struggle.

Asger

You know who else play negative footie? France, and they won a wc doing it. Who won Euro 2016? Portugal who's tactic was 9 behind the ball and rely on the magic of cr7 or Eder.

I'll take pragmatic football and a trophy if it happens in a heartbeat after seeing my club getting Tuchelled in the cl final thanks.

Southgate took a poor England to wc semis, and a strong one to euro final, with a bit of luck maybe a title.

Southgate now has more knockout wins in the euros than every English manager combined for 53 years. He's a decent coach, if he tried to heavy metal football it and got dumped out in the last 16, people would call him a naive idiot.
He has been very lucky with draws in WC and Euros. Hope England wins though. Teams needs luck as well to win things.

Asger

There’s talk about him being negative but England had 20 shots (10 on target) to Denmark’s 6 (3 on target). I’m pretty sure England have also had a better XG in most games.

I do think he should think about Grealish starting the final over Mount. If he goes with a back five then Trippier can replace Saka.

Regardless of what happens on Sunday, he’s reignited the belief in England fans that we can compete at this level. He’s proved me wrong. I thought England would struggle.

We’ll never know, maybe England would have struggled with harder draws. Haven’t faced any top teams yet. In WC they failed twice vs Belgium and should have won Croatia, better squad.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's been a very good man manager I'll give him that, and that's probably half the battle for international management. Dog shit play style and the selection is always negative to make it a slog knowing you have the subs to come of the bench and win the game for you. I don't like it, but it's effective so I'll give him credit. Wouldn't work at a big club for club management but works excellently in international management, which is why I think Mourinho should save his reputation and go there.

He's also an incredibly lucky manager. Had 2 absolutely golden draws fall his way in his 2 tournaments. Italy will be a big test in the final but also no shame losing it. It's an inescapable fact that he's been lucky with the draws though. This tournament looked like it'd be more challenging with the draw but then Spain finished 2nd and England had the easiest picks of the quarter finalists and the semi finalists, and IMO in Germany got the team most suited for England to beat of the 3 group of death sides.

But again, it's easy for all of us to get carried away with big name attackers and forget England have an atrocious cup record, so this way he feels safer that they won't feck up mentally or take an opponent lightly. I don't think it'll work in the next tournament, but it's worked to a tee now and they might well win it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He’s obviously done well, but how on earth are Mount ahead of Grealish in the #10 and Saka or whoever ahead of Sancho in the RW spot? Grealish and Sancho should start as many games as Kane.
Hes pragmatic and picks everyone who he can trust to always track back defensively. So it doesn't matter how good someone is going forward, he knows they'll never be caught out, which in international football does a lot to make it hard for the opposition to score where they don't have time to develop attacking patterns.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
We’ll never know, maybe England would have struggled with harder draws. Haven’t faced any top teams yet. In WC they failed twice vs Belgium and should have won Croatia, better squad.
Croatia had Perisic,Modric,Rakitic, Handanovic, and Mandzukic which is better than what England had in the same positions.

It was a even match.

This England side(2021) it's better than what they had in 2018.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Is this national team better than the sum of its parts?

Canuckred64

Is it Southgate or the talented squad? I just don't like Southgate he's too defensive for me. I know he's had great success, but I just can't warm to Southgate,

edcunited1878

Any successful manager or coach will always have the requisite level of talent. He has that in spades with this England squad, plus experience from the WC.

He will not replicate his country success with club unless he has a similar level of talent at his disposal.

He has the experience with the England youth team and knows these players and they know him. They had success together and it is being replicated at senior level.

It's just a great fit for both parties and they've gone from strength to strength.

Andersonson

Seems some fans are such Grealish fans that they hate Southgate for not playing him.. Very weird.

He has done fantastic, anybody claiming different is clueless in my eyes.

OP's posts is conference understanding of football - at best

lex talionis

Gareth is winning games, which is all that matters, but he’s beating opponents by the skin of his teeth he should be smashing.

Ekeke

Exactly what I’m saying? :confused: He gets criticized a lot for his approach to the game, but he’s on the verge of winning the first major trophy in 55 years.
And he wasnt before... So why should people have treated him like he was?

hobbers

He got England to a final. Albeit on the easiest route possible with all but one match played on home turf. You could not design an easier tournament for England if you tried.

He's done the bare minimum getting this far in those circumstances. Beat Italy and then maybe we can talk about him getting more credit.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The quote where - a great attack wins you a match but a great defense wins you titles and trophies - seems very similar to what southgate wants.

Walker, Maguire, Stones and Shaw are good by themselves but sometimes get an added player like Trippier helping them as well as a double pivot of Rice and Phillips.

I mean not a single team has scored from open play against us yet which is pretty crazy.

Classical Mechanic

The quote where - a great attack wins you a match but a great defense wins you titles and trophies - seems very similar to what southgate wants.

Walker, Maguire, Stones and Shaw are good by themselves but sometimes get an added player like Trippier helping them as well as a double pivot of Rice and Phillips.

I mean not a single team has scored from open play against us yet which is pretty crazy.
Technically we haven’t conceded a ‘big chance’ yet. Germany had two chances very close to being classed as such but still it’s a pretty remarkable feat how little our goal has been troubled on route to a final.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He got England to a final. Albeit on the easiest route possible with all but one match played on home turf. You could not design an easier tournament for England if you tried.

He's done the bare minimum getting this far in those circumstances. Beat Italy and then maybe we can talk about him getting more credit.
Yeah That's how I see it. Not taking anything from Southgate, because he's delivering so far. But I have a "right place, right time" feeling over him. He took the safe road at made it to the final, so although it's not pretty and good looking football, it's paying off.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Technically we haven’t conceded a ‘big chance’ yet. Germany had two chances very close to being classed as such but still it’s a pretty remarkable feat how little our goal has been troubled on route to a final.
Yeah and this is why I don’t see the first 11 changing much because the chances created by the opposition has been very low.

Italy look like the best attacking team whilst England look like the best defensive team in the tournament.

Considering the Italian Cb’s are still the great but elderly bonnucis and Cheillini’s - then the England tactic feels like having Shaw, Walker, Maguire, Stones, Rice and Phillips focus on defending whilst having the rest try to take the defense on with things like Sterling and Saka’s dribbling abilities.