Southgate or Potter - who would you prefer as our next manager?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
What the feck did I just read? What is this? And why? Is this normal for British journalism?

I bet someone in the editorial office asked for a Pro-Southgate-to-United-story and after a long, oppressive silence a certain Ronay cautiously raised his hand, saying: "I don't have arguments, as there are none. But I have many bloomy words to make up for it!"
British journalism is usually a lot worse :lol:

leontas

With Potter at least there’s a slight chance he can conjure up some magic to make us look competent.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I don’t mind the idea of Southgate as someone who changes the culture and projects the players (like he has with England) then passes us on to someone else. I am still pretty opposed to it though. He’s never won anything with England and his club record is relegation 15 years ago. Would be a potentially abysmal choice.

Al-T

Potter, but choosing between him and Southgate is like being offered the choice of having your bollocks nailed to the table or stapled to it.

I'd prefer Potter but he needs time. Brighton gave him that - over three years - during which he cleared out or sold for a profit all of Chris Hughton's signings except Pascal Groß .

He didn't get that time at Chelsea. It's highly unlikely he would at United.

Oscar Bonavena

I want neither but if you put a gun to my head, I'd choose Potter over horseface.

I think he's a good coach who was thrown into a shitshow at Chelsea and found the job too big for him.

Then again, that doesn't augur well for his prospects of the United job!

Yakuza_devils

Can't believe that these 2 are still bookies favourite Top 2. Just when I thought things could change for the better under Ineos. These type of appointment is straight out of Ed/Arnold/Murtough textbook. Hopefully Ineos team is much better than this.

Let's put it this way, even if Southgate won England the Euro, it's still a big no for him. We have had enough of negative defensive tactics. As for Potter, we should be able to do much much better than this. Remember we were being promised by Ineos Team to get the "best in class".

Rojofiam

Why do we want to keep shooting ourselves in the foot? We can really do much better than Southgate!
Can't believe that these 2 are still bookies favourite Top 2. Just when I thought things could change for the better under Ineos. These type of appointment is straight out of Ed/Arnold/Murtough textbook. Hopefully Ineos team is much better than this.

Let's put it this way, even if Southgate won England the Euro, it's still a big no for him. We have had enough of negative defensive tactics. As for Potter, we should be able to do much much better than this. Remember we were being promised by Ineos Team to get the "best in class".
Do you think the bookmakers know what Ineos' plans are? Stop moaning, it's so tiring to see dozens of posts crying about made up stories every day on this forum

Needham

So disheartening that Liverpool nail their guy before their current legend has left the building and our lot are prevaricating over whether to continue with failure.

Red00012

So disheartening that Liverpool nail their guy before their current legend has left the building and our lot are prevaricating over whether to continue with failure.
Things happen in the background without us knowing. Also was Amorim not their 1st choice ?

Red00012

Just for clarity , Ole was favourite for the Ireland job a few weeks back. Someone just started a rumour and it spread. Mitten asked Ole about it and he said he didn’t know where it came from and all of a sudden his odds went away out. I wouldn’t take much notice of odds. It’s all what’s going on in the media without any substantial info

Yakuza_devils

Just for clarity , Ole was favourite for the Ireland job a few weeks back. Someone just started a rumour and it spread. Mitten asked Ole about it and he said he didn’t know where it came from and all of a sudden his odds went away out. I wouldn’t take much notice of odds. It’s all what’s going on in the media without any substantial info
No disrespect, that's Ireland and this is Man Utd. I would think the bookies will spend far more resources to get more "information" to establish the odds. Largely the odds from the bookies are quite accurate (in most cases).

Rojofiam

Do you know how bookies' odds works?
Yes, I do, and they don't have insider knowledge on this. When reliable journalists start saying we're in for Southgate or Potter, you can panic if you don't want the news to be true. Until then, there's no point worrying about what are basically tabloid rumours.

padzilla

Hipster
If they appoint Southgate or Potter as manager it will be a clear indication that it's business as usual for United under the Glazers, despite INEOS' involvement.

Yakuza_devils

Yes, I do, and they don't have insider knowledge on this. When reliable journalists start saying we're in for Southgate or Potter, you can panic if you don't want the news to be true. Until then, there's no point worrying about what are basically tabloid rumours.
This is a very strong claim about how bookies works. Anyway, whatever rocks your boat.

Von Mistelroum

Every time I open this forum and see this thread title, I shudder. The idea that these or the current shit-show are our options is chilling. If that's the case I reckon I'll just wait for the NFL season to start and hope the 49ers have a good year!

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
It would have to be Potter. He was good at Brighton and everyone was wanking when De Zerbi came in but look at them now. Potter was doing a fantastic job. Chelsea didn't work out but it doesn't work out for most managers there. I still think he's a risk but there's a chance it could pay off.

Southgate is useless at club level. Some managers are made for international football... But he's pretty shit at that too and has been carried by a really good squad and favourable fixtures for the most part.

Shark

@NotShark
I don't think I could endure a season under either. Can't think of anything worse then this being the next step.

gaffs

If they appoint Southgate or Potter as manager it will be a clear indication that it's business as usual for United under the Glazers, despite INEOS' involvement.
Nah, i dont think even the Glazers would appoint Southgate or Potter.

To be fair to The Glazers, they have brought in the best available at the time.

If Southgate or Potter get the job, then its 100% on INEOS. I don't believe it will happen though. Jim is not tone deaf. He knows there is zero appetite for either, unless Southgate and England have an amazing Euro's.

padzilla

Hipster
Nah, i dont think even the Glazers would appoint Southgate or Potter.

To be fair to The Glazers, they have brought in the best available at the time.

If Southgate or Potter get the job, then its 100% on INEOS. I don't believe it will happen though. Jim is not tone deaf. He knows there is zero appetite for either, unless Southgate and England have an amazing Euro's.
Moyes... Solksjaer... Ragnick...?

Marcus

Potter if the path for a non-CL United for a few years is inevitable. Just get young, hungry players who will listen to instructions, work hard at drills and we could be surprised at the benefits. With Southgate, I will unfortunately just not be surprised...

Micky Targaryen

Since the days of watching Middlesborough in the league, I would never have imagined Southgate and Man United mentioned in the same sentence. But yet here we are.