Southgate or Potter - who would you prefer as our next manager?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Potter has lost almost as many games as he won at every club he has been at.

Southgates win percentages for England and England U21 are exceptional although you do have to factor in the fact that a some of the games he has won were against much smaller nations.
You can’t honestly suggest that Southgate is the better club manager? Just look at their records.

Southgate was essential to England in the same way that Ole was essential to United. Both did hugely impressive jobs. Both outstayed their level of impact. One by months. Southgate by YEARS.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I not suggesting that at all, Southgate has had only one club job so their records arent comparable
Fair go if you disagree, but I don’t know anyone that rates Southgate over Potter at club level.

I adore what Southgate did to reset the England team and its relationship with the media and national mood. But he’s not done much beyond that. He’s wasted a stacked squad in three tournaments now and failed in almost every match against top sides with elite international managers.

Yakuza_devils

IMO, England current team is the real golden generation. Southgate negative style of play is holding them back. I think Potter will do better with England.

Having said that I don't want any of them to be Man Utd manager. But if I really have to pick one it will be Potter by a mile

witchtrials

Not much point choosing. Either one would leave the Radcliffe era dead in the water - just an immediate busted flush.

Chairman Steve

The Southgate rumours need to die. They don’t even make sense based on reports of what INEOS want. They want a young manager and Southgates in his mid 50s. His agent has having a right laugh at us taking these reports seriously, when all he was after was a new England deal for his client.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Potter on a short term contract would've been okay if we had let Mr Hack go in the winter and tried to get 4th; while work went on in the background to get proper recruitment people in place. After allowing ETH to waste the rest of the season and basically making their job harder for the next season by not qualifying for the CL, I want a proper manager in charge. It would be a anti-climactic to see Potter or Southgate appointed after ETH and his suicidal football was thrust upon us for 5 months more than it was needed.

I have mentioned it earlier, when we look at our new manager, he should look like someone who is capable of winning the big trophies (whether he wins it or not depends on plenty of other factors). Appointing someone whose career is filled with mediocrity and expecting then to get us back challenging again is a fool's errand.

SecondFig

Like pretty much everyone, I'd take Potter over Southgate, but don't really want Potter.

Problem is, there aren't many managers I can think of where I'd be delighted with them at the moment. de Zerbi's Brighton have been poor this year, Amorim seems to be headed to Liverpool (and is pretty inexperienced/unproven), Alonso is pretty inexperienced and seems to be waiting for Real, Zidane is a funny one and I assume waiting for France...

Maybe Inzaghi, maybe Nagelsmann after the Euros?

Castia

Would take Potter but damn that’s such a depressing future if those 2 really are the front runners

Southgate should be nowhere near a top club how he’s linked with us is sickening

lysglimt

Scout
Nothing? The best tournament record of any England manager before or after Alf Ramsey is "nothing"? You people.
You could of course argue that apart from maybe Euros 2004 - he has had by far the best collection of players to choose from as well

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
If it's Potter Vs Southgate, I'm taking Potter. However, I would rather neither.

I have been supportive of the new management and optimistic about where they want to take us. Going for Potter or Southgate would make me write off next season.

I look at Liverpool, they're losing Klopp and they are looking at Amorim etc. Nowhere are the likes of Southgate and Potter even getting a look in. That's cos Liverpool are looking at being serious contenders and want a winning coach.

What does it say about us that we are looking for something so different to our arch rivals?

gajender

If it's Potter Vs Southgate, I'm taking Potter. However, I would rather neither.

I have been supportive of the new management and optimistic about where they want to take us. Going for Potter or Southgate would make me write off next season.

I look at Liverpool, they're losing Klopp and they are looking at Amorim etc. Nowhere are the likes of Southgate and Potter even getting a look in. That's cos Liverpool are looking at being serious contenders and want a winning coach.

What does it say about us that we are looking for something so different to our arch rivals?
Nothing because not even a Single credible source has linked these two with United , till the time that happens I wouldn't be concerned when the Likes of Whitwell , Ducker and Ornstein start running with their names then you can start getting worried.

Last edited:

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
This stuff just isn't going away. I'm beginning to think it's Erik's lot keeping it going to frighten JIm et al into keeping him in the job.

croadyman

This stuff just isn't going away. I'm beginning to think it's Erik's lot keeping it going to frighten JIm et al into keeping him in the job.
Yeah need England to give him another year and West Ham kindly take Potter off the market

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
A hybrid of the two would be a good manager. Potter is tactically more astute and Southgate is great at man management.

I think that Southgate would bring the good things that Ole did to the club but wouldn't do as well as them. Reasons being are the affinity to the club which Southgate doesn't have so his schtick would tire out far more quickly.

Realistically though I don't think either would be mainstay managers and would be stop gaps that build foundations for the club to get back to the top. Potter though has the better chances of being able to succeed because he doesn't rely on good vibes like Southgate.

hobbers

A hybrid of the two would be a good manager. Potter is tactically more astute and Southgate is great at man management.
Great at man management for the England national team is about as good a predictor for man management at a club like United, as winning 4 league titles with Ajax predicts Premier League success.

gaffs

Where has this BS come from?

Potter linked because he was rumoured to be wanted by INEOS for the Nice job.

Southgate because he worked with Ashworth and went to Brailsfords birthday party.

Yakuza_devils

Why do we want to keep shooting ourselves in the foot? We can really do much better than Southgate!

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
If Southgate becomes manager, then loads of United fans will spend fortunes on INEOS petrol to burn Old Trafford to the ground.

Von Mistelroum

If these are genuinely our choices then we may as well save some money and stick with the useless manager we have. Southgate would be worse and Potter would probably be at least similarly bad. I guess just give up on the idea of competing for the foreseeable future and get into gardening or jogging or whatever?

ArbeitervonWien

What the feck did I just read? What is this? And why? Is this normal for British journalism?

I bet someone in the editorial office asked for a Pro-Southgate-to-United-story and after a long, oppressive silence a certain Ronay cautiously raised his hand, saying: "I don't have arguments, as there are none. But I have many bloomy words to make up for it!"

Withnail

If these are genuinely our choices then we may as well save some money and stick with the useless manager we have. Southgate would be worse and Potter would probably be at least similarly bad. I guess just give up on the idea of competing for the foreseeable future and get into gardening or jogging or whatever?
It's bizarre. Neither of them should be anywhere near the club.

Ricardo de la Vega

Obviously would be rather underwhelmed with either, but of the two, i'd be more whelmed with Potter. Southgate is such an uninspiring coach.