Television Space Force

Dante

Average bang

New show from the guy who created Parks & Recreation, King of the Hill, and the American version of The Office.

It's out on Netflix in three weeks (29 May). I'm looking forward to it, but it really doesn't look like the typical single-camera sitcom that Greg Daniels made his name on. Hoping it works out better than Avenue 5.

Dante

Average bang
Came out today.

I've just finished episode 1 and didn't think it was too bad. Definitely feels more like a Steve Carrell movie than a Greg Daniels sitcom, but hopefully the show will find its voice soon.

Woodzy

I watched about half of the first episodes but it didn’t grab me so switched it off for now.

I’ll obviously give it a proper go at some point, but I guess I was just expecting Michael Scott in Space.

Dante

Average bang
I thought it was alright. Definitely not a typical laugh-a-minute Greg Daniels sitcom. More of slow burning comedy drama with interludes of slapstick.

As an aside, I'm going to repeat something I've got stick about before on this forum: I reckon single-release seasons are a different art form from both regular TV shows and from movies.

A lot of Netflix shows (including this one) are designed specifically to be binged in one or two sittings unlike a TV series. But they're also designed to be split into neat episodes unlike a movie. The audience is expected to consume them in a different way from both.

As such, Space Force felt like a 5 hour movie with intervals. The fact it defied so many long held conventions is part of why it got such a negative reaction from critics, imo. It's a difficult thing to pigeon-hole and compare other output against.

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
2 episodes in. It’s pretty poorly written and often poorly delivered. Just weak. Shame because it had so much potential.

Nonetheless it’s an easy mindless watch so I’m probably carry on.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I got through it and found it disappointing. It lagged for too long at times, and was only carried by the great cast.

It reminded me of that HBO show with Tim Robbins and Jack Black where you had high hopes given the talent involved and it had occasional laugh out loud moments, but just tried too hard to be absurd in the end. There’s no need to go overboard on absurdity in this context where you already have an actual Space Force amongst other things.

Norris

It was alright, but nothing that stood out. The absurdity of it was probably what I found the most entertaining.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It seems that it is hard ti make a parody of something that is already more or less a parody.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I found it pretty decent, and watchable. Not hilarious, but a lot of it is because , like Wibble said, the world politics itself is a parody. Plus, feel people are being harsh on the show as they're comparing it with peak Office (shows like that don't come around often)

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
2 episodes in. It’s pretty poorly written and often poorly delivered. Just weak. Shame because it had so much potential.

Nonetheless it’s an easy mindless watch so I’m probably carry on.
I had very few laughs on the first 2 episodes and not sure if I even want to go back.

Hoof the ball

Hyperdrive and Red Dwarf?
Of recent times, I mean. Red Dwarf is my favourite. Wasn't a big fan of Hyperdrive. I like Frost generally, though., The Orville nails it in season two. As close to we've come to something resembling Star Trek for ages. The Artificial Intelligence plot twist was handled superbly. Credit to taking a show that most thought would be standard MacFarlane humour and balancing comedy and serious matter very well.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I had very few laughs on the first 2 episodes and not sure if I even want to go back.
Yeah the only thing that tickled me was when he called the chimp a dog eating bastard. Otherwise the jokes just fall flat most of the time. It’s like the writers imagined something funnier in their heads.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I thought this was terrible. I don't think a single episode of this show was good bar may be the second one. There were so many pointless characters that they did not know what to do with.

stevoc

It wasn't as funny as i was hoping it would be but i still found myself enjoying it for what it is.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I have only watched the first episode, and didn't laugh or even smile once, I think. Yet, it was somewhat watchable, probably due to the cast, but I have no desire to rush back to it.

parkthebuslads

Thought it was terrible, primarily due to the writing but it also suffers from the championing of Steve Carell, who I found to be unlikable and unfunny.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
2 episodes watched. I wont go back. Terribly unfunny

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Err.... I like it (up to episode 5 or whatever I'm on)

I mean obviously the worst part of it is the Orbital Mechanics so any big fan of space will probably think its a bit poo (and I'm a big space fan) but I still like it

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Incredibly disappointing. Poorly written, weak characters, overall a poor cast. Jean Ralphio just doing a toned down version of Jean Ralphio. Steve Carrell with a dreadful and unpleasant performance. Pretty much the rest of the cast being pretty weak. Only one I liked was John Malkovich, but then again I'd love John Malkovich even if he was reading a recipe book to me.

I just think it's a poorly written and badly executed show. I think the core idea just doesn't work, and the story was all over the place. I wanted to love this so much because of the names attached, but I felt it just got worse and worse as the season went on, and the finale was poor.
As an aside, I'm going to repeat something I've got stick about before on this forum: I reckon single-release seasons are a different art form from both regular TV shows and from movies.

A lot of Netflix shows (including this one) are designed specifically to be binged in one or two sittings unlike a TV series. But they're also designed to be split into neat episodes unlike a movie. The audience is expected to consume them in a different way from both.

As such, Space Force felt like a 5 hour movie with intervals. The fact it defied so many long held conventions is part of why it got such a negative reaction from critics, imo. It's a difficult thing to pigeon-hole and compare other output against.
I don't know who gave you stick about this, I think it's widely recognised and accepted that the way we consume content has evolved massively over the past few years because of the Netflix model. The fact that people are not appreciating this has nothing to do with the way it's meant to be watched, it's just that it's a generally speaking unfunny sitcom, with poorly written characters and plots. The only benefit of binging it is that its awfulness is limited to a couple of days of your life rather than a week.

Oldyella

Am about half way through now. It's ok at best, the occasional half smile is about it! Considering the budget this must cost to make given the cast, background actors etc must be for the chopping block.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Watched it over a few days, it was meh. A few minor chuckles at most throughout. It all looked very slick and was cinematically impressive for what is supposed to be a sitcom. That, John Malkovich and the sporadic Fred Willard appearances were the only positives. Carrell's character was just awful. I can't tell if it was a poor performance, or if that is how the character was intended to be. Carrell is usually good even in things that aren't that good, so I'm more inclined to think it is the latter.

Surely won't get a second season?

Dante

Average bang
I don't know who gave you stick about this, I think it's widely recognised and accepted that the way we consume content has evolved massively over the past few years because of the Netflix model. The fact that people are not appreciating this has nothing to do with the way it's meant to be watched, it's just that it's a generally speaking unfunny sitcom, with poorly written characters and plots. The only benefit of binging it is that its awfulness is limited to a couple of days of your life rather than a week.
I think it was a couple of years ago in the Stranger Things thread. Each release of that was as much a 7 hour long movie as it was a 10 episode TV season.

I don't think Space Force was great. But in the context, it was a slow-slow-burner unlike equivalent TV shows or movies. TV/cinema need to excite the viewer in 30 minutes or 2 hours, respectively. Space Force plays around with all 5 hours to get the same effect across (so I can see why some found it disengaging). In any other format, it would try to be a comedy-drama. But in this longer, albeit single release, format it's trying to be a drama-comedy (hopefully that distinction makes sense).

I'm not saying any of this excuses its limitations. But it does mean it's difficult to compare like-for-like with most obvious points of reference (in particular Gregg Daniels other TV shows and Steve Carrell's other movies).

I think it was okay as a show to watch in the background whilst you're cooking or playing on your phone. I cared about the characters and laughed out loud enough to feel it was worth putting on. But it's obviously not a show that rewards your constant attention like The Office, or that gives you lots of bang-for-buck like The 40 Year Old Virgin.