Squad building for 2024-2025 (assuming no European football)

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Clubs use on average around 26-27 players over a season in the league. Looking back on the last 5 seasons the highest number is 33 (Sheffield and Forest this season) and the lowest 20 (Wolves pre-covid).

It whets my appetite thinking about how we have an opportunity to seriously trim the squad and bolster it with younger players. Our squad currently consists of 26 players, including Amad, Kambwala, and the on-loan Amrabat.

We have 9 defenders with the average age of 30.4. We have 6 midfielders (excluding Amrabat) with the average age of 27. And in attack we have 5 players (excluding Martial) with the average age of 22. All taken together excluding the GKs, Amrabat and Martial the squad's average age is 26.

I do hope those on gardening leave are busy at work, with the players likely to leave (who contribute too little) we lack numbers in a variety of positions.

Still think there is space available there for Mejbri in our squad next season. Will be interesting to see if Amass will get a chance as we already have to sort out midfield and centre of defense and another striker.

5-6 in, 7-8 out is my bet.

didz

Why would we assume no European football when we're two wins away from a Europa League spot?

gregor

OUT:
Bayindir
Varane, Lindelof, Evans
Shaw/Malacia
Amrabat, Casemiro, Eriksen, Hannibal, Donny
Pellistri, Sancho?, Antony, Martial, Greenwood

That is 15 out, a bit unrealistic... :D:wenger:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Why would we assume no European football when we're two wins away from a Europa League spot?
I keep forgetting about the potential FA Cup route.

OUT:
Bayindir
Varane, Lindelof, Evans
Shaw/Malacia
Amrabat, Casemiro, Eriksen, Hannibal, Donny
Pellistri, Sancho?, Antony, Martial, Greenwood

That is 15 out, a bit unrealistic... :D:wenger:
And I forgot loads of players, Sancho, Donny, Greenwood and Pellistri! I think there'll be more outgoings in that case. I think we'll keep both left backs though, if we had less to do we'd likely look at it, but there's so much as is. I also think Evans will stay on mostly for his character. As I said in the OP, I hope the decision makers to come are already working in their gardens, taking calls all day. Can't be starting planning after the season has finished, like we have done for the last 10 years.