Stadium 'big screens' why haven't we (and Liverpool) got one?

Suvvernmanc

The biggest club stadium in England, endless amount of money, and yet we dont have a big screen in the stadium. It would cost close nothing to add one or even more screens for the benefit of VAR, advertising and promotions.

After watching Southampton v west ham today, the whole build up to Antonio's disallowed goal was shown for the Benefit of the crowd.

This should be standard for all stadiums where VAR is concerned to aid in the crowds 'entertainment' experience. Too many times have we the paying match goers, been left baffled by the time taken and reasons for goals being disallowed etc. Surely this has been looked at by old Trafford chiefs? Why has it not been done?

Jam

Wonder if we ever expand the opposite tier then we’d have a screen installed in one of the corners

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The stadium is old as hell and because of the odd shape of the stands there'd need to be multiple screens so that everyone could see one. They could do it though, why they haven't is probably down to pinch-pursing as much as anything.

Suvvernmanc

The stadium is old as hell and because of the odd shape of the stands there'd need to be multiple screens so that everyone could see one. They could do it though, why they haven't is probably down to pinch-pursing as much as anything.
At Spurs new stadium, they have big screens that point to the pitch, and screens on the back of those that show the crowd.

Big screens wouldn't cost anything when compared to the income we get from noodle and taxi sponsors. It wouldn't even dent the club profits.

RedIan

short answer there isn’t a space to put a large screen as the seating areas flow around all the corners.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
At Spurs new stadium, they have big screens that point to the pitch, and screens on the back of those that show the crowd.

Big screens wouldn't cost anything when compared to the income we get from noodle and taxi sponsors. It wouldn't even dent the club profits.
I don't disagree, money for some screens wouldn't break the bank by any stretch but I suppose it's needless expense from the Glazer's point of view.

Suvvernmanc

even if we wanted one, where would it go?
On the front of the Fascia of the tier roofing? And then on the back for the crowds benefit.?

I've sat up in the 'gods' at old Trafford in the north and east stand and it would be difficult to see a big screen up there I think unless we added loads of smaller screens on the back of the fascia.

There isn't a good place for one in Old Trafford or Anfield - and both clubs would be crazy to remove seats to fit in a big tv.

I also feel United and Liverpool are maintaining the traditions of the game in this respect.

It's a better, more immersive experience going to a stadium without your attention being drawn to a screen. We spend our lives on screens, going to the football should be a nice break from that.

Reactions: Penna

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
There isn't a good place for one in Old Trafford or Anfield - and both clubs would be crazy to remove seats to fit in a big tv.

I also feel United and Liverpool are maintaining the traditions of the game in this respect.

It's a better, more immersive experience going to a stadium without your attention being drawn to a screen. We spend our lives on screens, going to the football should be a nice break from that.
Couldn’t agree more

Enough people texting and taking pics at games anyway these days

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Very hard to find positions for the big screens at OT. I suspect roof fascia mounted ones might even interfere with the view in some sections, and other sections would need multiple smaller ones mounted on the back walls or section dividers (so you'd have to look away from the pitch to see them)

Certainly it couldn't be done simply offer by putting up a couple of strategically placed big screens, the roof line, the high tiers and quadrant layouts don't make it easy.

At the rugby final etc they close a tier of the SW quadrant and put a big screen there, but that's not an option for United.

As part of a bigger stadium refurb with a major roof revision - sure. But as a retrofit on the existing layout, not easy - certainly not easy if you want all/most fans to be able to see them.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Old Trafford can't accommodate one. It's an old stadium.

In truth the ground needs rebuilding: Knock it down, build over the car park, create an underground car park instead, and use the additional space to make it bigger and better. You could also potentially make the forecourt in front of the megastore smaller to make space for a bigger ground.

If we rebuilt it we could make Old Trafford truly state of the art. However, it will probably never happen because: 1) Money. The cost probably doesn't seem worth it to the Glazers. 2) Money & City. If we rebuilt we'd probably have to ground share with City for a season. Most of us would hate having to play at Wastelands. We would also have to pay rent for doing so, which the board would probably hate as much as the fans.

So there you go.

Prodigy24

They always mention this during the stadium tours. Old Trafford is... old. And there is no good way of putting big screens around the stadium without it being in the way of people.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I haven't been to OT for a couple of years, but I can't say I've ever been there and thought "this would be way better if there was a big screen".

I appreciate a major aspect of the game has changed since my last visit with the introduction of VAR, but I still don't think it's that important for the matchday experience. I'd rather they upgraded the south stand to make it consistent with the rest of the ground, and just give the whole place a bit of a sprucing up.

They could probably modernise the roof aswell, so it doesn't look like it's made of Lego Technics and so it doesn't tilt downward so steeply, obstructing the view of those at the back of the top tier.

I'd prioritise all that over a big telly.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't disagree, money for some screens wouldn't break the bank by any stretch but I suppose it's needless expense from the Glazer's point of view.
This comment reminded me that the AT&T Arena's screens cost 40m.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Old Trafford can't accommodate one. It's an old stadium.

In truth the ground needs rebuilding: Knock it down, build over the car park, create an underground car park instead, and use the additional space to make it bigger and better. You could also potentially make the forecourt in front of the megastore smaller to make space for a bigger ground.

If we rebuilt it we could make Old Trafford truly state of the art. However, it will probably never happen because: 1) Money. The cost probably doesn't seem worth it to the Glazers. 2) Money & City. If we rebuilt we'd probably have to ground share with City for a season. Most of us would hate having to play at Wastelands. We would also have to pay rent for doing so, which the board would probably hate as much as the fans.

So there you go.
I'll just add to this comment a bit.

There has in fact been estimates done by consulting firms detailing the cost of both upgrading the stadium and its capacity versus simply building a new one. Unfortunately due to the public infrastructure immediately surrounding Old Trafford, the cost for doing so becomes astronomical. Expanding Old Trafford is so costly that it's not financially viable. It's not as much a question of what does the Glazers feel is worth it, as how realistic is this to begin with.

It's been deemed more feasible to simply build a new and bigger stadium on a new location.

However the Glazers choose not to do this since Manchester United play their games at Old Trafford. It's an institution you dont' "just move from". The fear is that the fans will completely turn against the owners and the club if they choose to abandon Old Trafford for a new stadium. Sure a new stadium would be nice, but football fans are passionate folk. We'd be talking about leaving home, and that's a though, though discussion.

The obvious second problem is where does the team play games. Ethiad? Considering the rivalry, that's not even going to enter the discussion.

So it's a bit of a mix: Too expensive to realistically consider + no immediate stadiums nearby with capacity. vs Moving the location vs Angry fans who don't want to move. That is why Old Trafford is getting maintenance upgrades yearly. OT was upgraded for £20 million this summer alone.

Let me lay this out in more detail so it makes sense why we are not expanding the stadium.

Behind the Bobby Charlton Stand there is a railway that would have to be moved for this expansion to occur. And on top of a railway shifting there is also the residents nearby that need to be rehoused. The stand would need to be built both up AND backwards for this to be structurally sound. The bill for the upgrade project is estimated at £750 million, and could rise to £1 BILLION. - So essentially: If anyone wants to start a crowdfund for this project, I'll chip in the first £50.

I absolutely want OT to be upgraded, but it's just not feasible. it doesn't excuse a leaky roof by all means, but it's not as easy as pointing a finger and saying "cheapskate".

Oh, and there is new handicap sections being planned so overall capacity will go down a bit, to make place for our friends on wheels. By 2020.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
What about a stream that people can get to their phones? Since everyone has a screen on them, take advantage! The url could be scanned from the tickets or whatever, to open automatically, and limited to within the stadium.

clarkydaz

There has in fact been estimates done by consulting firms detailing the cost of both upgrading the stadium and its capacity versus simply building a new one. Unfortunately due to the public infrastructure immediately surrounding Old Trafford, the cost for doing so becomes astronomical. Expanding Old Trafford is so costly that it's not financially viable. It's not as much a question of what does the Glazers feel is worth it, as how realistic is this to begin with.

It's been deemed more feasible to simply build a new and bigger stadium on a new location.

However the Glazers choose not to do this since Manchester United play their games at Old Trafford. It's an institution you dont' "just move from". The fear is that the fans will completely turn against the owners and the club if they choose to abandon Old Trafford for a new stadium. Sure a new stadium would be nice, but football fans are passionate folk. We'd be talking about leaving home, and that's a though, though discussion.

The obvious second problem is where does the team play games. Ethiad? Considering the rivalry, that's not even going to enter the discussion.

So it's a bit of a mix: Too expensive to realistically consider + no immediate stadiums nearby with capacity. vs Moving the location vs Angry fans who don't want to move. That is why Old Trafford is getting maintenance upgrades yearly. OT was upgraded for £20 million this summer alone.

Let me lay this out in more detail so it makes sense why we are not expanding the stadium.

Behind the Bobby Charlton Stand there is a railway that would have to be moved for this expansion to occur. And on top of a railway shifting there is also the residents nearby that need to be rehoused. The stand would need to be built both up AND backwards for this to be structurally sound. The bill for the upgrade project is estimated at £750 million, and could rise to £1 BILLION. - So essentially: If anyone wants to start a crowdfund for this project, I'll chip in the first £50.

I absolutely want OT to be upgraded, but it's just not feasible. it doesn't excuse a leaky roof by all means, but it's not as easy as pointing a finger and saying "cheapskate".

Oh, and there is new handicap sections being planned so overall capacity will go down a bit, to make place for our friends on wheels. By 2020.
Interesting post, what cost 20m in the summer?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Yep.

United help more with this as well by having such minimal signal, so you can't check your phone either :lol:

peridigm

I can see it now.

This VAR review brought to you by Wei-Ling Noodle Company.

youngrell

I’m not a fan of big screens at stadiums anyway, so I’m glad adding them is nigh on impossible at OT.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

Very insightful post. Thanks for that

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The Emirates have screens. It's shite.

Stamford Bridge has screens. I remember at half time there once, Angry Birds was played on the screens. You had to cheer loudly to get the birds to fire far enough. Pathetic. Is this what you people want? Angry Birds?

Wembley has screens and is a new stadium. I hate it. There's rubbish all over the floor outside every time I've been. The last two times fans of both teams have been wandering around the outside chanting "Wembley shithole"...on one occasion this included Spurs fans, when it was their home stadium. Screens have caused this.

I hate screens, in stadiums. They're worse than Hitler...except for when you're viewing him through a screen.

Bulldog United

Practically everyone walking into Old Trafford is carrying a screen of their own.

A solution that would allow people with the Man Utd app installed on their device to get this footage beamed to their smartphone during interruptions would be interesting. Although, 70,000 people reaching for their smartphones every time VAR starts investigating whether someone's left bollock was marginally offside, instead of celebrating a goal, hmm.... Peter Jones would probably tell me my idea is completely ridiculous and for that reason he's out.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Dunno why everyone is saying nowhere to put them. Where the scoreboards are. If everyone can't see them, it's not the end of the world is it?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Practically everyone walking into Old Trafford is carrying a screen of their own.

A solution that would allow people with the Man Utd app installed on their device to get this footage beamed to their smartphone during interruptions would be interesting. Although, 70,000 people reaching for their smartphones every time VAR starts investigating whether someone's left bollock was marginally offside, instead of celebrating a goal, hmm.... Peter Jones would probably tell me my idea is completely ridiculous and for that reason he's out.
Good luck getting signal for that in OT!

GazTheLegend

Dunno why everyone is saying nowhere to put them. Where the scoreboards are. If everyone can't see them, it's not the end of the world is it?
Have you been to Old Trafford?

If you sit in the South Stand (Bobby Charlton Stand), looking at the other sections of the ground you'd understand why. There's no room for anything other than a small screen without blocking someone somewhere's view pretty much anywhere in the stadium.

And where might you put a screen anyway? The TV camera's are in the South Stand but the biggest stand is the North Stand. You could put it above the away fans but then there's the issue that it's a bit unfair on the away fans who might want to see what's going on.