Standing Ovation for Ole?

Red Devil's Advocate

I'm sure you're a troll but i'll bite.

Ole is fifth in the table, 5 points of top 4 with 4 very winnable games coming up.

A lot of our struggles this season have come down to the fact we have struggled to break down the smaller teams defensive set up. Usually you have a creative player to help with this.

Who is the one player we have missed for the majority of this season? Oh, our creative player.

If Pogba returns for the next 4, I genuinely expect us to get maximum points and then all of a sudden we are unbeaten in 10+, 14 from 18 against the top 6, all when we have suffered from more injuries to key players all season than our rivals.

Let's see how those games go, and see the improvements made in the January transfer window before throwing out a manager that is doing better with a worse squad than Tottenham & Arsenal. All whilst introducing many youngsters into the team and his new players that have all performed. Perhaps we'll see how those above us manage when they lose 3 key players too. Oh and we still have the cups to play for.
Respect your patience in replying to that post :)

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Oh please! Ole's team is nothing like a SAF team.

Where was the 70% possession and 25 shots?
I don't know if you're being serious but people have this misconception that Fergie's team always dominated possession. We didn't. In fact, often times, we ceded possession to play on the counter.

I remember once Southampton had more possession at OT than us. We won the game but I had the feeling that we should've got more of the ball and so-called dominate.

Then Fergie retired, and Van Gaal had us controlling possession and during those terrible days where we'd struggle to break teams down, it dawned on me that Fergie knew what he was doing.

arthurka

It hasn't taken Rodgers, Klopp or Pep this long to get the better of lower half teams. They should be your bread and butter if you want to be among those top four places and no matter what anyone says on here, Ole's job is still at risk until he does it because it's a results business.
To be fair they all had a much much better squad to work with. And our rebuild is almost all positions.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
It hasn't taken Rodgers, Klopp or Pep this long to get the better of lower half teams. They should be your bread and butter if you want to be among those top four places and no matter what anyone says on here, Ole's job is still at risk until he does it because it's a results business.
Beating Tottenham and Manchester City aren't results?

Tel074

Oh please! Ole's team is nothing like a SAF team.

Where was the 70% possession and 25 shots?
So you think United under Ferguson has 70% possession in big games ? It was exactly like Ferguson and his counter attacking play in the big games especially in Europe

Shark

@NotShark
Beating Tottenham and Manchester City aren't results?
Of course they are, but ultimately it means nothing if we can’t beat teams at the lower half of the table. It just means we’re becoming a game raising outfit, like Liverpool of old. I think it’s fair that some of us, including myself aren’t going to change our tune until Ole until he can prove we’re not just that and I hope he will.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Maybe if Oles manages to win a few PL titles we can start comparing him to Fergie. Remember Ole had a great 15 games run when he came in and then everything fell apart. I think if Ole can finish in the Top 4 four he's at least won himself more time to stay as our manager.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
It's so up and down it's difficult to make any big conclusions.

Let's enjoy these moments, because we are going to see plenty of ups and downs over the course of the season.

The Klopp and Fergie comparisons are admirable, but they don't quite ring true with me. I think Klopp and Fergie have alot in common mind.

Ole is an untested gamble. Who knows how it'll play out. I really don't think comparisons are all that relevant IMO.

The psthetic snipes are getting boring mind. State of some of you.

Sterling Archer

Maybe if Oles manages to win a few PL titles we can start comparing him to Fergie. Remember Ole had a great 15 games run when he came in and then everything fell apart. I think if Ole can finish in the Top 4 four he's at least won himself more time to stay as our manager.
This is one of the biggest false narratives out there right now. Ole did jack sh*t. He came in as an interim manager and boosted the mood on a squad that should have been playing better.

I mean, where is Roberto Di Matteo?? Man won the Champions League afterall. You know why he's not relevant? Because he's not a good manager. That win was more down to the previous manager being gone than Roberto's non-existent brilliance. There's a reason the term "new manager bounce" exists.

BrownRecluse

Supports
Liverpool
The derby is as good as I’ve seen them play under him. Well done

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
This is one of the biggest false narratives out there right now. Ole did jack sh*t. He came in as an interim manager and boosted the mood on a squad that should have been playing better.

I mean, where is Roberto Di Matteo?? Man won the Champions League afterall. You know why he's not relevant? Because he's not a good manager. That win was more down to the previous manager being gone than Roberto's non-existent brilliance. There's a reason the term "new manager bounce" exists.
Should tell that to Arsenal

M Bison

Supports
York City
It's so up and down it's difficult to make any big conclusions.

Let's enjoy these moments, because we are going to see plenty of ups and downs over the course of the season.

The Klopp and Fergie comparisons are admirable, but they don't quite ring true with me. I think Klopp and Fergie have alot in common mind.

Ole is an untested gamble. Who knows how it'll play out. I really don't think comparisons are all that relevant IMO.

The psthetic snipes are getting boring mind. State of some of you.
I agree with this, particularly the part about the ups and downs throughout the season. We've got an incredibly young side and we're bound to see some inconsistency, and i wouldnt be surprised to see us draw against Everton.

Final line is also bang on, is there anywhere in the world where you see more one-upmanship than the Caf?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

I think the new manager bounce is overrated. Just look at Moyes ever since he left Everton..

TRUERED89

Worth noting, Fergies teams often surrendered possession for a counter-attacking tactic when playing away to big rivals.
Especially in the CL, semi final in 2008 at OT vs Barca, on route to the final springs to mind as a key one.

TRUERED89

Away to City

Season​
Possession (%)​
Shots​
Shots on Target​
Final score​
2010/11​
53.4​
10​
3​
0:0 (D)
2011/12​
47.5​
5​
0​
1:0 (L)
2012/13​
43.8​
10​
3​
2:3 (W)
2019/20​
28.1​
11​
7​
1:2 (W)
People's assumtions without even knowing the facts makes me :lol:.

Strelok

Moreover, when he does get fired, no other EPL club would be prepared to take him. Even those in the relegation zone.
I'd also guess that no team in the Championship would want him as manager.
I must strongly disagree with this.

So far Ole has proven he's really good in beating bigger or equivalent teams. And he's good with the youngsters.

If I am an owner of those small clubs I'd gladly take him in, pure logic.

Lj82

I don't know if you're being serious but people have this misconception that Fergie's team always dominated possession. We didn't. In fact, often times, we ceded possession to play on the counter.

I remember once Southampton had more possession at OT than us. We won the game but I had the feeling that we should've got more of the ball and so-called dominate.

Then Fergie retired, and Van Gaal had us controlling possession and during those terrible days where we'd struggle to break teams down, it dawned on me that Fergie knew what he was doing.
Actually, for most parts, Fergie's team usually dominates possession.
We routinely have high possession rates under SAF.
I think the greater misconception is that because Utd was great at counterattacking, it meant that we we prefer to cede possession than to hold it.
That may be true for Jose's stint, but not during most of SAF's time.
Aside from quick counterattacking, Utd was famous for being relentless in attack, pinning the opposition back with waves after waves of attack.
But alas, those days were so far ago now.

Lj82

Especially in the CL, semi final in 2008 at OT vs Barca, on route to the final springs to mind as a key one.
I recall that it was revealed later that SAF was very uncomfortable with that approach as it was against how he normally sets up his teams.
No disputing that we did it against Barca and probably several other times, but it's important to remember that this wasn't the norm.
It just shows how pragmatic SAF is in setting up his team.

TRUERED89

I recall that it was revealed later that SAF was very uncomfortable with that approach as it was against how he normally sets up his teams.
No disputing that we did it against Barca and probably several other times, but it's important to remember that this wasn't the norm.
It just shows how pragmatic SAF is in setting up his team.
It wasn’t a constant I agree, but against the very best SAF did it. Juve in Turin 2003, 3-0 is another great example, what a game that was..