Film Stanley Kubrick

Hoof the ball

“A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later.”
― Stanley Kubrick

Recently I decided to introduce my nephew to the filmography of Stanley Kubrick. What an absolute pleasure. Re-watching all of these classic productions once again was really inspiring, especially observing its influence and impact on my nephew. Now he's absolutely besotted with the technicalities and creativity of filmmaking.

Spartacus
Lolita
Dr. Strangelove
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket

There are more, however, the above list is deemed the magna carta of his directorial resume. Apparently, following 2001: A Space Odyssey he was writing a Napoleon Bonaparte movie, which, according to insiders would have been absolutely mind-blowing, however, due to the downturn in the industry at that time the movie and funding fell through. That, in turn led to A Clockwork Orange instead.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I'm ashamed to say that the only one of the listed films I've seen is Full Metal Jacket, but I found it utterly unique from the start, which is likely down to Kubrick. Very good film.

Hoof the ball

I'm ashamed to say that the only one of the listed films I've seen is Full Metal Jacket, but I found it utterly unique from the start, which is likely down to Kubrick. Very good film.
Oh, man. There's so much happening in terms of cinematography that slips the eye. Loads of one-point perspectives that you don't pick up and then when you know what you're looking for next time you see it, it's there all over the place.

If I had to recommend the next one of his you see, definitely Space Odyssey. It's the movie that inspired Star Wars.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Oh, man. There's so much happening in terms of cinematography that slips the eye. Loads of one-point perspectives that you don't pick up and then when you know what you're looking for next time you see it, it's there all over the place.

If I had to recommend the next one of his you see, definitely Space Odyssey. It's the movie that inspired Star Wars.
That, Clockwork Orange, & The Shining are films that I've always wanted to see, but I just haven't. I really don't watch too many movies, but if I see them on Blu-Ray for a reasonable price, I'll pick them up & see how it goes :D

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I've watched only 2 of his films, Eyes Wide Shut and Full Metal Jacket. Liked the former, disliked the latter.

Zen

I'd take Spartacus out. I'm not overly sure he even sees it as part of "his" lifes work. I don't know really. But I don't. I tend to skip around it when discussion Kubrick.

The Killing and especially Paths of Glory are far superior anyway.

Hoof the ball

I'd take Spartacus out. I'm not overly sure he even sees it as part of "his" lifes work. I don't know really. But I don't. I tend to skip around it when discussion Kubrick.

You're right in that Spartacus isn't held in huge regard by him, however, mostly due to the internal strife in production and the lack autonomy in the project. I love the performance by Kirk Douglas all the same and he's so iconic in it that it's worth watching anyway. I think Paths of Glory was what led to Douglas getting the part in Spartacus if I'm not incorrect? Killing and Paths are two fine movies, so, props to you for mentioning those.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I've watched only 2 of his films, Eyes Wide Shut and Full Metal Jacket. Liked the former, disliked the latter.
That's the lower end of Kubrick's work, ye're in for a treat if you watch more of his stuff.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
That's the lower end of Kubrick's work, ye're in for a treat if you watch more of his stuff.
Honestly, I don't think Kubrick is for me. I get that he's a legendary director but I took a look at his CV and 90% just doesn't interest me.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Paths of Glory is a great film. Big influence on David Simon as well, so gets extra kudos for helping to shape his portayal of power in The Wire.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Spartacus was OK. Haven't liked anything else. Some nice cinematic moments but his films lack emotion. The first half of FMJ was great but the second half was a mess and so obviously not filmed in a SE Asian rain forest.

Jev

I finally got around to seeing 2001 the other day. Such a unique movie. Somehow manages to be extremely boring and endlessly fascinating at the same time. Certainly impossible to put away.

I've never seen Barry Lyndon. Hoping it will get a cinematic re-run soon as I never really seem to get around to watching +3 hour movies at home. A Clockwork Orange is my favourite, and I love The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and Dr. Strangelove too. Spartacus is fine, kind of dated and much less personal. Eyes Wide Shut has a great, eerie mood but was a little uneven.

We could certainly do with a director as visionary today.

I haven't watched Lolita or the 50's films.

Hoof the ball

I finally got around to seeing 2001 the other day. Such a unique movie. Somehow manages to be extremely boring and endlessly fascinating at the same time. Certainly impossible to put away.

I've never seen Barry Lyndon. Hoping it will get a cinematic re-run soon as I never really seem to get around to watching +3 hour movies at home. A Clockwork Orange is my favourite, and I love The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and Dr. Strangelove too. Spartacus is fine, kind of dated and much less personal. Eyes Wide Shut has a great, eerie mood but was a little uneven.

We could certainly do with a director as visionary today.

I haven't watched Lolita or the 50's films.

2001 is the precedent for visual effects moving forward. In fact, it was the inspiration for Star Wars and a lot of the rotating sets in movies like Inception were pioneered by Kubrick. For a movie produced in the late 60's and with a small budget than Star Wars: A New Hope, it's a testament to Kubrick that it holds up visually even now, better than even A New Hope does.

Remember the scene in the movie where the central character is running through the ship whilst it is rotating round and round? Well ahead of its time. One point perspectives, again. There's so much that's going on in the shots that is precisely the reason why a movie so laboured in pace can seem so engaging.

Hoof the ball

Just have a listen to the first 2 minutes of this video. Chris says precisely the same thing you did.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Every time I watch 2001 the apes feel less convincing, the monolith stuff looks more stupid (Whether literal or figurative they just look more and more like an Ancient Aliens meme) and the space agency dialogue sounds more tedious. Yet the effects and models are ever more spectacular, the HAL segment more disturbing and the final scenes more affecting. You have to wade through some dross but I still don't think space exploration has ever looked this good. I think I know how all the effects are produced now but still they beguile.

There seems to be a decline in the attention given to the technical side of the filmmaking craft, as such Kubrick's work appears to me increasingly impressive.

izec

Seen Space Odyssey, Full Metal jacket, Eyes wide shut, Clockwork Orange and Shining.

Disliked Space Odyssey, does nothing for me, but i watched it very late (a few years ago). The rest i liked. Loved Clockwork Orange, absolute masterpiece. I was completely blown away, i rewatched it the day after again and was loving it even more and i have never done that with a movie.

Andrew~

I think this film doesn't get enough love. My favourite Kubrick film will always be Dr Strangelove though; good comedy is really hard to write and film, and the fact that it was made kind of by accident adds to the effect.

2001, in my opinion, is a film of its time. It struggles because the only interesting character (HAL) doesn't get introduced till really late and you're left to just enjoy (well, I'm sure people in 60s did) the effects - which isn't really going to help modern audiences very much. Which is kind of why I don't rate it as highly as most people do, and I'm not surprised when people say they don't like it. It's a historically important film, but not his best.

Minimalist

The Shining is essential viewing in my opinion.

Also think Eyes Wide Shut is worth watching at least once for the confusing weirdness that it is.