Books Star Wars EU

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Need a separate thread for this instead of clogging up the Kotor thread with questions.

I'm gonna start it off with the Thrawn trilogy. I'm about half way through with the third installment. My question is, why shouldn't I be rooting for Thrawn and the Empire? Convince me (without spoilering that which has yet to come).

vanthaman

Winner
EU?

Nvm Extended Universe,

Could you rename thead, I thought it was a new game or something

Revan

Assumptionman
I love Thrawn. Very likely the best general of all time in Star Wars Universe. A calm, reasonable and a genius. Becoming a Grand Admiral without being a human was an impossible thing in racist Galactic Empire, but he did it. And he is causing a lot of problems to Republic although in every aspect he is weaker than them. Add to that, he isn't a force sensitive.

Root for him. Much smarter than Luke Skywalker and co. As Sharky said, he's a Bel Iblis on steroids. I don't remember exactly but I think that at that part you are reading he is having the upper hand against the New Republic.

Snow

Where I am now
He has most of the Dreadnaughts, has a wind of the smugglers union via Ferrier, the twin kidnapping has been thwarting and Mara Jade's breakout is being planned[(Spoiler]

I just really dislike the people in charge of the New Republic. Before I read the series I had a discussion about what would be a better government. A democracy like I'm used too now or a monarch who's super smart, doesn't care about a massive wealth and wants to be a good as he can be at his job. That hypothetical monarch is a neigh on impossible human being but Thrawn seems to pretty much fit the description for the most part. I don't see why his abilities couldn't transcend the military.

Revan

Assumptionman
Tyrants are not good. Just see what he is doing with Nogri. He's a very practical person, but also totally ruthless.

The Republic well functioned as a democracy. Before the raise of Palpatine and the Plagueis/Palpatine master-plan, there was a thousand years without a massive conflict.

Also, the other problem is that the people in the New Republic are not very bright. Iblis is totally marginalized, Mothma is doing the best but a person is not enough, Leia and Luke are still young while Thrawn is probably the only person alive who can feck Admiral Ackhbar on a battle.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
I think Zahn realised that he didn't come across as enough of a bad guy in the Thrawn Trilogy so spent some of the books afterwards (Hand of Thrawn Duology, Outbound Flight, Survivor's Quest) going into how he wasn't the quite reasonable guy we see in the Thrawn Trilogy.

Anyway my only real issue with that trilogy was (actual spoiler in here, probably read this once you're done)
the ending - it just felt rushed and anti climactic

Anyway once you're done, here is your homework
(no spoilers, just hiding it all for posterity)
Rogue Squadron series by Michael A Stackpole (Rogue Squadron, Wedge's Gamble, Krytos Trap, Bacta War) - these are fairly good, although Stackpole isn't the best author in that he doesn't really bother fleshing out all of the characters in the squad - seriously some of them have about 2 lines and that's it. You really should have started here, chronologically.

Wraith Squadron series by Aaron Alston (Wraith Squadron, Iron Fist, Solo Command) - generally considered the best series in the Star Wars EU alongside Thrawn. Unlike Stackpole he's very very good at writing characters, and none of the dialogue feels forced or contrived. Also Wes Janson is awesome.

Then there's The Courtship of Princess Leia, which was really really terrible, then there's the Thrawn Trilogy.

Isard's Revenge by Michael A Stackpole (standalone) - felt rushed and didn't really add anything except for a few cool nods to the TIE Fighter game. Take it or leave it, it's not connected to anything else really.

Jedi Academy Trilogy by Kevin J Anderson (Jedi Search, Dark Apprentice, Champions of the Force) - Decent, but no where near as good as Thrawn.

I, Jedi by Michael A Stackpole - again, felt rushed. Apparently the one Star Wars book written from a first person point of view.

Starfighter of Adumar by Aaron Alston - for many this is the pinnacle of Star Wars EU writing.

Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy by Michael P Kube McDowell (Before the Storm, Shield of Lies, Tyrant's Test) - Generally not that liked, I absolutely loved it and put it alongside Thrawn and Wraith trilogies. A slightly different style of writing - a lot harder military science fiction than the rest of the books listed here, though as I said I may be the only person that likes this (Lucas Licensing certainly didn't because basically nothing from it appears anywhere else :( ).

Hand of Thrawn Duology by Timothy Zahn (Spectre of the Past, Vision of the Future) - very very good until about a third of the way into the second book, where it all just sort of stagnates.

Survivor's Quest by Timothy Zahn - Acceptable, if far fetched.

I also read Death Star which is set 3-0 ABY, which was quite good although did devolve to basically Sex in the City on the Death Star for a bit in the middle.

About the authors

Zahn: Basically all of his stuff mainly takes place within the chunk of the Extended Universe he carved out - Chiss, Mara Jade, Talon Karrde and Smugglers Alliance. I'm currently reading Scoundrels which is by him and seems to deviate from that though.

Stackpole: Not great at writing characters - generally gives no time to characters who get killed off so there's no real emotional connection and it ends up becoming a bit predictable who is survive and who won't.

Alston: Probably the best EU author - understands that not every conflict has to be a massive fate of the galaxy deciding battle to be interesting, and is quite good at writing characters. Fortunately became a regular EU author.

Anderson: Basically writes the same book over and over and over - someone has a superweapon they're not meant to, someone wants to kidnap the Jedi children to train them to be the new Sith, Daala is tooling around being belligerent, the Jedi save the day.

Snow

Tyrants are not good. Just see what he is doing with Nogri. He's a very practical person, but also totally ruthless.

The Republic well functioned as a democracy. Before the raise of Palpatine and the Plagueis/Palpatine master-plan, there was a thousand years without a massive conflict.

Also, the other problem is that the people in the New Republic are not very bright. Iblis is totally marginalized, Mothma is doing the best but a person is not enough, Leia and Luke are still young while Thrawn is probably the only person alive who can feck Admiral Ackhbar on a battle.
Thrawn isn't a tyrant. He's a military leader.
The noghri are properly oppressed yes. To his defense, they didn't really object anything he did. They followed without question because of what Vader had done. I don't blame him very much to continuing using them. He is a follower of 'the end justifies the means' philosophy to a certain extent after all.

Revan

Assumptionman
Thrawn isn't a tyrant. He's a military leader.
The noghri are properly oppressed yes. To his defense, they didn't really object anything he did. They followed without question because of what Vader had done. I don't blame him very much to continuing using them. He is a follower of 'the end justifies the means' philosophy to a certain extent after all.
Nah, this is bullshit. They didn't object anything he did because in that case he would stop 'healing' their planet.

Thraws is not Palpatine or Vader of course, but he is a dictator too.

Snow

I think Zahn realised that he didn't come across as enough of a bad guy in the Thrawn Trilogy so spent some of the books afterwards (Hand of Thrawn Duology, Outbound Flight, Survivor's Quest) going into how he wasn't the quite reasonable guy we see in the Thrawn Trilogy.

Anyway my only real issue with that trilogy was (actual spoiler in here, probably read this once you're done)

Rogue Squadron series by Michael A Stackpole (Rogue Squadron, Wedge's Gamble, Krytos Trap, Bacta War) - these are fairly good, although Stackpole isn't the best author in that he doesn't really bother fleshing out all of the characters in the squad - seriously some of them have about 2 lines and that's it. You really should have started here, chronologically.

Wraith Squadron series by Aaron Alston (Wraith Squadron, Iron Fist, Solo Command) - generally considered the best series in the Star Wars EU alongside Thrawn. Unlike Stackpole he's very very good at writing characters, and none of the dialogue feels forced or contrived. Also Wes Janson is awesome.

Then there's The Courtship of Princess Leia, which was really really terrible, then there's the Thrawn Trilogy.

Isard's Revenge by Michael A Stackpole (standalone) - felt rushed and didn't really add anything except for a few cool nods to the TIE Fighter game. Take it or leave it, it's not connected to anything else really.

Jedi Academy Trilogy by Kevin J Anderson (Jedi Search, Dark Apprentice, Champions of the Force) - Decent, but no where near as good as Thrawn.

I, Jedi by Michael A Stackpole - again, felt rushed. Apparently the one Star Wars book written from a first person point of view.

Starfighter of Adumar by Aaron Alston - for many this is the pinnacle of Star Wars EU writing.

Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy by Michael P Kube McDowell (Before the Storm, Shield of Lies, Tyrant's Test) - Generally not that liked, I absolutely loved it and put it alongside Thrawn and Wraith trilogies. A slightly different style of writing - a lot harder military science fiction than the rest of the books listed here, though as I said I may be the only person that likes this (Lucas Licensing certainly didn't because basically nothing from it appears anywhere else :( ).

Hand of Thrawn Duology by Timothy Zahn (Spectre of the Past, Vision of the Future) - very very good until about a third of the way into the second book, where it all just sort of stagnates.

I also read Death Star which is set 3-0 ABY, which was quite good although did devolve to basically Sex in the City on the Death Star for a bit in the middle.

About the authors

Zahn: Basically all of his stuff mainly takes place within the chunk of the Extended Universe he carved out - Chiss, Mara Jade, Talon Karrde and Smugglers Alliance. I'm currently reading Scoundrels which is by him and seems to deviate from that though.

Stackpole: Not great at writing characters - generally gives no time to characters who get killed off so there's no real emotional connection and it ends up becoming a bit predictable who is survive and who won't.

Alston: Probably the best EU author - understands that not every conflict has to be a massive fate of the galaxy deciding battle to be interesting, and is quite good at writing characters. Fortunately became a regular EU author.

Anderson: Basically writes the same book over and over and over - someone has a superweapon they're not meant to, someone wants to kidnap the Jedi children to train them to be the new Sith, Daala is tooling around being belligerent, the Jedi save the day.
So I've just finished the trilogy. Basically the New Republic would have been fecked if not for the Noghri. Rukh did a great job of staying out of sight.

I have access to quite amount of Star Wars books. What I have on my Kindle at the moment, besides the Thrawn trilogy, is a series you did not recommend. The Darth Bane trilogy. Is it because you haven't read it yourself?

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
So I've just finished the trilogy. Basically the New Republic would have been fecked if not for the Noghri. Rukh did a great job of staying out of sight.

I have access to quite amount of Star Wars books. What I have on my Kindle at the moment, besides the Thrawn trilogy, is a series you did not recommend. The Darth Bane trilogy. Is it because you haven't read it yourself?
No, I've read quite a limited amount of pre A New Hope stuff - the ROTS novelisation, The Lost Planet and Death Star are the main ones I can remember, as well as some of those really really old Star Wars Club choose your own adventure Jedi Apprentice books when I was like 11.

About last December a friend of mine got me back into reading fiction with the X-Wing series (which starts about 3 years after the end of Return of the Jedi), and I've just gone forwards from there basically. I finished most of the New Republic era stuff (I skipped some of the really terrible shit like the Crystal Star and Children of the Jedi) and didn't want to start the New Jedi Order Yuuhzan Vong stuff because basically ever since it came out all of the authors involved have to some degree said that it was a mistake, and it's written for a younger target audience.

Bantam, who handled publishing from Heir to the Empire in 1991 through to 1999, encompassing basically most of the New Republic era, had the brief to write for people who would have been 10 ish when they saw the films but were now in their 20s and 30s. Del Rey, who took over for New Jedi Order, had the brief to write for people in their teens who had seen Phantom Menace months before and wanted to read some Star Wars books. They changed back to the original 20s and 30s target audience after Revenge of the Sith was published, but basically most of the stuff published during the time the prequels were being made and released as a bit of a literary write off.

I am meaning to get more into more of the pre ANH stuff released in the last few years before I inevitably get bored and go through New Jedi Order, if only to get to the Fate of the Jedi and Legacy series, and even that if only to read more Aaron Alston books. Not to mention the last X-Wing book, which I refuse to read until I've read most of the stuff before it - which given it's the furthest forward novel in the continuity is a bit of a challenge (there are comic books set further forward, but not novels).

That said I do find endless tales about the Jedi and the Sith quite boring - some of the most enjoyable EU books I've read have either no Jedi in them at all or the Jedi not in the central role (Rogue Squadron arc, Wraith Squadron arc, Black Fleet Crisis, Death Star, Starfighters of Adumar, Hand of Thrawn Duology, Scoundrels). I feel their overuse leads to lazy writing and dead ends character development - compare for example
Face from Wraith Squadron, who learned to read people as part of being an actor in Imperial propaganda for years, to any Jedi who just have an innate sense about people because that's one of the force powers that Jedi have

Revan

Assumptionman

Go for Darth Bane, definitely worth it.

Probably you know from other Star Wars things, Darth Bane is the founder of the rule of two. The trilogy takes his life from before he was a Sith. It has a lot of historical mentions, like Darth Revan, Darth Andeddu etc. Pretty much the first book has to do with Bane until he became a powerful Sith, the second one with his apprentice and the third one is a conclusion.

I would say that the quality of this trilogy is nowhere near Thrawn trilogy, but I rate Thrawn trilogy very high. Still, Darth Bane trilogy is great, especially unlike SharkyMcShark you're more interested in Jedi/Sith stories than in others. Also, I would recommend highly, the Darth Plagueis novel, IMO the best Star Wars book after Heir to the Empire. A lof of backstory about Palpatine, his relations with his Master Plagueis and especially the plan to take over the Republic. Great novel.

Snow

Cheers guys. I'm not sure which direction I should go in next. Been recently feasting on my Star Wars BluRay collection as well as finishing the books so I've had a good dose of it in the past month. I'll either continue with the Thrawn or go read the Bane trilogy next. I like the continuity of the stories but I'm also a big Jedi/Sith fan.

Snow

Finished the Hand of Thrawn duology. Thought it was excellent. Didn't feel that it stagnated. Well, it might have in comparison a bit like how the AFFC and DWD are compared to the first three in ASOIAF but far from a bore. I actually thought they were more entertaining than the third installment of the trilogy. How many books is he in anyways? A shame that it didn't go deeper into the whole Chiss thing. It's the reason why I went with the Revan book next instead of the Bane trilogy. Wanted to know see a bit more of the uncharted worlds.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Finished the Hand of Thrawn duology. Thought it was excellent. Didn't feel that it stagnated. Well, it might have in comparison a bit like how the AFFC and DWD are compared to the first three in ASOIAF but far from a bore. I actually thought they were more entertaining than the third installment of the trilogy. How many books is he in anyways? A shame that it didn't go deeper into the whole Chiss thing. It's the reason why I went with the Revan book next instead of the Bane trilogy. Wanted to know see a bit more of the uncharted worlds.

It really died for me around the time that
they spent a few chapters infiltrating the Hand's fortress, then got shot up a bit then just sort of hung around in a side room healing for a bit, then escaped through the caves, then went back and forth through caves and the fortress for a bit
. That just killed the momentum for me.

I got bored enough to start the New Jedi Order stuff about 2 months ago. I'm up to the 8th book (Edge of Victory II: Rebirth). It's been reasonably interesting to see how the variety of authors involved tell the story differently.

Vector Prime was written in a way that would allow them to dump the entire series at that point if it bombed terribly and just pretend it was a standalone all along because
at the end of it they've defeated the advanced force there are no Vong said to be in the galaxy, just more on the way. If it went terribly they could just have left it there

The Dark Tide Duology was quite good - Michael Stackpole is a bit limited as a writer as I said earlier in this thread, but I found the more military sci fi focus of the book interesting given how Jedi intense it gets later on.

The Agents of Chaos duology have been my favourite so far - they remind me the most of the Black Fleet Crisis in terms of writing style. Also unlike the previous three books, James Luceno isn't afraid to reference previous works (he's a bit heavy handed with this but I must say as someone who has read chronologically through the extended universe I found the fan nods very pleasing).

Balance Point is basically all set on Duro, in refugee camps
and the Vong don't even show up until the last few chapters
. I felt having this set on one planet after the Han solo focused Agents of Chaos duology perhaps caused focus to be lost a little of the scale of the Vong invasion, but none the less it was a very good character novel.

Edge of Victory I is basically all set on Yavin, because
a) apparently it was a rushed replacement for the cancelled Knightfall trilogy because Lucasfilm felt the series was getting too dark and b) they'd decided it would be Anakin Solo who died during NJO so they needed a few books to focus on him
. This one was perhaps a little generic, although started to give more insight into the Vong culture.

I'm enjoying these perhaps slightly more than I thought I would, although only really Luceno's Agents of Chaos duology have kept me up at night unable to put the book down (well, my iPad down).

Snow

I just finished reading Darth Bane: Rule of Two. I though Path of Destruction was great and really liked this 2nd one until about a quarter was left. Then it really unraveled for me.

How do people feel about the book compared to the others in the trilogy (please don't spoil anything in the third book). I want to hear other people's opinion before giving my own.

My main gripe with the ending was how convenient everything was and how stupid the Jedi were. Most stupid thing of all was how easy Caleb was swayed despite it being hammered into us that he couldn't be swayed. Same with Darovik, he just changed his mind straight away but with him at least we're not sure how much Jedi mindtricks played its part to convince him in the first place

zing

Zingle balls
I can't remember what happens in each of these books because it has been such a long time. Shall keep reading this thread, though.

zing

Zingle balls
Don't read:

Isard's Revenge
Children of the Jedi(one of the worst books in SW)
Planet of Twilight
The Crystal Star

Having said that, have you read Tatooine Ghost yet? Really liked it. @SharkyMcShark ?

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Don't read:

Isard's Revenge
Planet of Twilight
The Crystal Star

Having said that, have you read Tatooine Ghost yet? Really liked it. @SharkyMcShark ?
Haven't got around to it - I've heard it said that it's the Han/Leia equivalent of what Survivor's Quest was to Luke/Mara. It's probably in my next three reads - I'm currently going through Errant Knight by John Jackson Miller, which is set 1000 BBY. Seems very interesting so far - rich, if slow paced.

After that I'd like to read Kenobi (again by Miller), which I've only heard good things about. After that probably Tatooine Ghost. I also need to get to Outbound Flight, Labyrinth of Evil, Shatterpoint and the late A.C Crispon's Han Solo trilogy at some point.

As I said in the main Star Wars thread I got a bit bored of the NJO about halfway through Star By Star - the whole series just became very monotonous. I'd like to return to it at some point though - the incentive to keep me going through the EU chronologically is that Aaron Alston gets quite heavily involved as it moves along and the last X-Wing book is the second last book chronologically.

Since December 2012 I've read

Death Star
Scoundrels
X-Wing: Rogue Squadron
X-Wing: Wedge's Gamble
X-Wing: Krytos Trap
X-Wing: Bacta War
X-Wing: Wraith Squadron
X-Wing: Iron Fist
X-Wing: Solo Command
The Courtship of Princess Leia
Thrawn Trilogy: Heir to the Empire
Thrawn Trilogy: Dark Force Rising
Thrawn Trilogy: The Last Command
X-Wing: Isard's Revenge
Jedi Academy Trilogy: Jedi Search
Jedi Academy Trilogy: Dark Apprentice
Jedi Academy Trilogy: Champions of the Force
I, Jedi
X-Wing: Starfighters of Adumar
Black Fleet Crisis: Before the Storm
Black Fleet Crisis: Shield of Lies
Black Fleet Crisis: Tyrant's Test
Hand of Thrawn: Specter of the Past
Hand of Thrawn: Vision of the Future
Survivors Quest
Vector Prime
Dark Tide I: Onslaught
Dark Tide II: Ruin
Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial
Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse
Balance Point
Edge of Victory I: Conquest
Edge of Victory II: Rebirth

I agree that Isard's Revenge was a bit naff

It wasn't a long enough arc to pass off the whole 'oh yeah she's back and there's also definitely another clone' thing, it just felt cheap, although I do like the insinuation that Isard survived and was imprisoned on her own for decades in the bowels of the Lusankya.

I read Darksaber years and years back - that's considered about as bad as the books you listed. Anything that Callista is in basically.

zing

Zingle balls
Not been up to date with the latest novels. Haven't went the side of EU since they announced episode 7, which will decanonize EU..

Mander

Don't read:

Isard's Revenge
Planet of Twilight
The Crystal Star

I cried tears of boredom when I read The Crystal Star. Definitely shouldn't have been the first EU book I read. I think my next books were the Thrawn trilogy, so all was good after that.

Revan

Assumptionman
I just finished reading Darth Bane: Rule of Two. I though Path of Destruction was great and really liked this 2nd one until about a quarter was left. Then it really unraveled for me.

How do people feel about the book compared to the others in the trilogy (please don't spoil anything in the third book). I want to hear other people's opinion before giving my own.

My main gripe with the ending was how convenient everything was and how stupid the Jedi were. Most stupid thing of all was how easy Caleb was swayed despite it being hammered into us that he couldn't be swayed. Same with Darovik, he just changed his mind straight away but with him at least we're not sure how much Jedi mindtricks played its part to convince him in the first place
I don't remember exactly but it was the weakest book on the trilogy.

I think that Caleb made compromise to heal Bane with the condition that they'll get arrasted from the Jedi. Then Zannah played the trick, killing him and driving her cousin insane in order to impersonate Bane. They killed him thinking that they killed Bane, while he was in the process of recovering.

Well, it's very believable. The Jedi are total morons, that is a fact.

Snow

I don't remember exactly but it was the weakest book on the trilogy.

I think that Caleb made compromise to heal Bane with the condition that they'll get arrasted from the Jedi. Then Zannah played the trick, killing him and driving her cousin insane in order to impersonate Bane. They killed him thinking that they killed Bane, while he was in the process of recovering.

Well, it's very believable. The Jedi are total morons, that is a fact.
Oh definitely. The ending of the book was the epitome of that. Not just that scene but the fight scene and how they dealt with the matter afterwards with absolute no explanations. Just believed that this mad person weak in the force killed everybody. No security tapes of Zannah on Coruscant?

Still thing the reasoning was very stupid as well. He only healed him so that she wouldn't become the same monster. Caleb wasn't a Jedi so he shouldn't be as stupid. Survived this long on his own in a crappy territory.

Still, well written book for the most part and I would recommend it. The baddies need their breaks too now and again.

Revan

Assumptionman
Oh definitely. The ending of the book was the epitome of that. Not just that scene but the fight scene and how they dealt with the matter afterwards with absolute no explanations. Just believed that this mad person weak in the force killed everybody. No security tapes of Zannah on Coruscant?

Still thing the reasoning was very stupid as well. He only healed him so that she wouldn't become the same monster. Caleb wasn't a Jedi so he shouldn't be as stupid. Survived this long on his own in a crappy territory.

Still, well written book for the most part and I would recommend it. The baddies need their breaks too now and again.
Quite a strange logic, though at the time I thought that Karpyshyn missed well the illogical aspect of it.

What do you think about Bane? I quite liked it and rooted for him for the most part of the books. Despite him being 'evil', still better than Jedi. Lord Hoth and Valenthyne Farfalla were ok, but as an organization Jedi again turned to have a cumulative IQ of 5.

Snow

That's what Darovit told Zannah in the books.

Bane is great. He's very smart and strong but also has his flaws. The books are about him and he's the reason I read them. It's a refreshing POV. Not many Sith books compared to the Jedi books (the best ones are fairly balanced). Sometimes you want some dark action instead of the getting the same lines about peace and emotion. If it weren't for rogue Jedis and scoundrels then there would be nothing happening on the Jedi front.

Disney could easily make a good movie or movies from this material. Too bad most people can't handle the "bad guys" winning in the end or something like this might get done. Who knows. They're making a Boba film. One of three things will happen in the end. He becomes good-ish. He wins in his bounty hunter ways. He loses.

Blue always red

Not sure everyone has read the Rule of 2 trilogy so I'll try to make it vague, but what do you guys think went on at the end? Did the transfer work, or was Zannah too powerful?

Also, that new Maul book is coming out soon and it looks pretty good. Seems gritty and much more adult oriented than some of the other EU books.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Not sure everyone has read the Rule of 2 trilogy so I'll try to make it vague, but what do you guys think went on at the end? Did the transfer work, or was Zannah too powerful?

Also, that new Maul book is coming out soon and it looks pretty good. Seems gritty and much more adult oriented than some of the other EU books.
Please keep it spoiled the first 2 lines cause Snow hasn't read it yet.

Nope, Bane couldn't get Zannah's body, though it is possible that some part of Bane lived inside Zannah (I think that her hand acted strangely or something like that).

Revan

Assumptionman
Yeah mate, JT was sublime. Incredibly disappointed he didn't narrate the Kenobi novel but I guess it is what it is. The Clone Wars was good, I think I missed the end of it but did Ashoka die or did she just leave?
I'll answer here cause this is more for EU staff.

I would recommend to go and watch the last 3-4 episodes of the show. Basically, someone did something bad and people thought that Ahsoka did it. She then went into a hiding but still the military found her. The Jedi High Council outcasted her from the order and she was punished by death. On the last moments, Anakin found the true person who did it (a bit of surprise) and then saved Ahsoka from the execution. The Jedi High Council asked for her forgiveness and asked her to return in the Order, but she rejected their offer. Anakin was incredibly disappointed on the Council for gaving up on her. The show ends with a conversations between them when you know that Anakin is seriously thinking about leaving the order.

Anyway, there will be another 10 extra episodes or so, but I don't think that she'll be on them. On Rebels TV show though, I am pretty certain that she'll play a part.

What is the deal of Kenobi novel? Is it any good?

Blue always red

Hmm interesting, I guess the council treatment of his own Padawan turns Anakin even more away from the order. I wouldn't put it past Disney putting her in the ST, not that it would be a bad thing.

The Kenobi novel was very good, one of the better EU books. It basically explained the story from him arriving on Tatooine to how he becomes crazy old Ben. There were flashes of the Jedi Kenobi but the majority of it was him just becoming an average human and him dealing with the loss of the Jedi and of Ani. The end is very good as well and the plot also creates some of the groundwork for the Krayt story later.

Revan

Assumptionman
Hmm interesting, I guess the council treatment of his own Padawan turns Anakin even more away from the order. I wouldn't put it past Disney putting her in the ST, not that it would be a bad thing.

The Kenobi novel was very good, one of the better EU books. It basically explained the story from him arriving on Tatooine to how he becomes crazy old Ben. There were flashes of the Jedi Kenobi but the majority of it was him just becoming an average human and him dealing with the loss of the Jedi and of Ani. The end is very good as well and the plot also creates some of the groundwork for the Krayt story later.
Nice. I will read it these days.

Yep, basically Anakin confirms that to her in the end. I don't know about the sequel trilogy. If it is 40 years after the ROTJ, Ahsoka should be around 75 years old. I hope that she'll play a big part in Rebels though. It would be nice if some of important figures of EU like her, Mara Jade, Kyle Katarrn and Starkiller to feature there.

Revan

Assumptionman
Just finished Kenobi book.

A bit disappointed to be fair. The book was book but I felt that the title lied a bit (especially the first part). I was expecting more from Kenobi events and another dimension of his character but the book was more concentrated on some other characters. Also you do not learn nothing new about him.

Still it is an enjoyable reading and the book does feel like a Western Star Wars.

Next stop: Fatal Alliance

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Finished Fatal Alliance - not that good book, though it had its moments. The story is set into the last years of cold war between the Empire and the Republic and is a prequel of The Old Republic game. The main protagonists are a Jedi padawan and a Sith apprentice. They have to corss their paths several times and during those times both of them realize that the real universe isn't as black and white as they thought. In the book, the legendary Jedi grandmaster Satele Shan makes a few appearances and plays a big role (Shigar - one of the two main protagonists is her padawan). Quite disappointed that the Emperor doesn't make an appearance but I guess that this was because he hasn't been completely defined until in the Revan book (which was published a couple of years later than this). Who likes The Old Republic era should read it, though don't get your hopes high that it will be a masterpiece.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Should I read it in the same sequence? Is Rogue Squadron the best place to start?

@Revan

NM

@Edgar Allan Pillow The entire X wing series is amazing, with Rogue Squadron and Starfighters of Adumar being classic.

I loved how Starfighters had only one or two major characters in it (none of the big 3) and was still an amazing book.

Then read the Thrawn books. Everything else is ok, and it just goes downhill from Legacy of the Force onwards

Revan

Assumptionman
Should I read it in the same sequence? Is Rogue Squadron the best place to start?

@Revan
Haven't read them. My recommendation:

1) The Thrawn Trilogy - Absolutely brilliant, with the events of it happening 3-5 years after Return of the Jedi. Easily, the best Star Wars novels and IMO a must-read regardless of what happens with them. I doubt that the new movies will be near as good as them.

2) Darth Plagueis - a novel which gives the backstory of Plagueis, but also Palpatine. Fantastic novel and a must read for any Star Wars fan.

3) Movie novelizations - the prequel books are better. Revenge of the Sith is brilliant, while the other 2 prequels are quite good. The novelizations of old movies are skippable considering that there is no new info there.

4) Darth Bane trilogy - easy to read. It happens a thousand years before the movie events, and it tells the story of the Sith Lord who made the Rule of Two. It also explains a bit about Ruusan Reformation (why the Jedi aren't politicians and why the Republic doesn't have an army)

5) Revan - if you are into Old Republic stuff (have played KOTOR/TOR) then this is a must read. There another few books in Old Republic era. But if you haven't played the games, then skip it.

6) Kenobi - it tells the first 6 months of Kenobi after he goes into exile. Not much new info, but I love Obi-Wan

7) Labyrinth of Evil - it happens in the end of the Clone Wars. You'll learn how General Grievous got Palpatine.

Thrawn trilogy, Plagueis, Revenge of the Sith novelization and Darth Bane trilogy are the best in this list.

Currently reading the novelization of the new movie.

Revan

Assumptionman
@Edgar Allan Pillow

Would recommend to skip everything after Revenge of the Jedi in chronology. Thrawn trilogy is amazing though but gets contradicted in the new movie. If you don't mind it, then read it, easily the best SW books I've read and one of the best sci-fi overall.

The others in my list are before the movies - chronologically - so likely they won't get contradicted.

Art Vandelay

Is the Revan book actually any good? I remember hearing bad things about it back when it came out, but I might be confusing it with the Revan story in ToR. It should have been god damn KotoR 3!!

I'd agree with Revans list but would throw in Mace Windu Shatterpoint and Darth Maul Shadow Hunter.

Siorac

Is the Revan book actually any good? I remember hearing bad things about it back when it came out, but I might be confusing it with the Revan story in ToR. It should have been god damn KotoR 3!!

I'd agree with Revans list but would throw in Mace Windu Shatterpoint and Darth Maul Shadow Hunter.
The writing in the Revan book is... well, not great, to be mild. The story is quite fun and if you played the KotOR games you'll love meeting all those familiar characters again.

The Revan story in the Old Republic continues from the novel - and it's very controversial. I think Revan should have remained nothing but a myth, a total mystery after KotOR and even the novel was unnecessary because it took away that sense of myth. KotOR 3 could have been about looking for Revan, looking for his 'footprints' and his legacy in the Unknown Regions. Could have been epic.

Revan

Assumptionman

Completely contradicted with a new EU book. Apparently, Depa Billaba never joined the dark side, which is the central point of Shatterpoint. She just went into a coma, bllah bllah bllah, got a new padawan, sacrificed her life to save him during the Order 66 events, and that guy became Kanan in The Rebels TV show.

Revan book is decent. I liked it, a lot. The only problem in it though (for me), is that The Exile was seriously underrated there. Still, a book with Revan and Exile in it is good.

Revan story in The Old Republic game, not so. Basically, he goes full crazy there, gets killed by a few noobs, his dark side survives and goes even more crazy until finally gets defeated for good by a combined strike team of Jedi/Sith. Until the next expansion, of course.

Agree with Siorac that Revan should have been left in peace after the KOTOR events, and the same for Exile. But of course, they needed to milk the Darth Vader of the Old Republic for the MMORPG. Anyway, his character remains strong by just reading the book (in fact, he becomes even more awesome IMO), but not so if you play the game.