Gaming Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I loved this game. I had been on an anti-EA streak for many years but several things made me buy it. EA promised that this was a fully fleshed out game. No lootboxes, not DLC to cap things off, just the finished product. Respawn are the developers and they're good. It's Star Wars and you get to play with a lightsaber. Finally the reviews were immediately good from the userbase so very promising indeed.

For those unfamiliar it kind of feels like a mix between an Uncharted type game story-wise and has elements of the Souls game but not as hard core (you die you lose your XP. If you "medidate" enemies will respawn. Unforgiving terrain). What this game has in terms of playthrough is everything I want in a single player story driven game. The movement is good and they incorporate platform type environment in many places. The story trajectory is similar to Kotor in that you can visit multiple planets but you're in charge where you want to go. It has puzzles that utilize the character's set of abilities in some cases and in other cases your brain. The game has collectibles in form of chests that you have to find in each area. Enough of them are obvious, some are more hidden but overall not too challenging to find them all. There are also bunch of stuff you scan with your robot that gives you lore and XP and a Jedi power that I'm pretty sure that this game came up with that's used to gain XP from history. The character senses these echoes in the force and sees the memory of an item or an event which both serve as XP for the character and this puzzle element of finding it in the map. Very neat game design in touch with the Star Wars lore.

The worldbuilding is gorgeous. Bunch of new creatures that either are a part of the environment or predators that you have to fight. Some people care less than others about that but it's an aspect of gaming that I've come to appreciate more with time and in a Star Wars game I think it's essential to nail.

Most importantly you play as a Jedi and as a Jedi you have a lightsaber and who doesn't like lightsabers? Combat is really satisfying and I immediately crabe another game that could have exactly the same mechanics as far as I'm concern but just with a new story and more combat. It just never felt dull and I didn't even utilize my whole array of force powers too much as I prefered the hand-to-hand combat most of the times. If you've enjoyed games in the past with 3rd person hand-to-hand combat (God of War, Shadows of Mordor etc) you'll most likely enjoy this game.

My only problem with the game is that I want more and my vigilance towards EA has been lowered.