Starting 11 for Burnley (Carabao cup) Next week

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Chuck Maguire in straight away? he hasn't played much minutes this season so why not.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I'd guess Maguire and Lindelöf would be nailed on, as Martinez and Varane would likely each be playing in either the final or the third place game. I'd try to make the rest of the team out of players that didn't go to Qatar, went out early or didn't get many minutes.

Hopefully we'll have the full first team back again for the Forest game.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I'd guess Maguire and Lindelöf would be nailed on, as Martinez and Varane would likely each be playing in either the final or the third place game. I'd try to make the rest of the team out of players that didn't go to Qatar, went out early or didn't get many minutes.

Hopefully we'll have the full first team back again for the Forest game.
Wan Bissaka and Malacia will probably play, McTominay, Van de beek and Martial, Elanga and Garmecho, maybe Pellestri will get a nod

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
-----------------------------De Gea
Wan Bissaka Lindelöf Maguire Malacia
---------------------McTominey VDB
-----------------Elanga Sancho Garnacho
-----------------------------Martial

Some of the WC players didnt play much so they should be available for at least 30-40 (Fred, Antony, Rashford etc)

OlsensHummelBoots

Strongest team available to be picked.

Burnley are not going to be easy, just seen them play QPR on TV and I'm all for going as far as we can in any cup.

A team littered with some of our squad players isn't filling me with confidence.

RedCurry

I expect a strong lineup with Bruno, Rashford and Dalot all starting the game. This is mid-season and players have had over a week of rest.

wolvored

I dont get the players who played in the wc need a rest. In a normal season they would have probably played the same no of games at this time and wouldnt expect to be rested. Any that are not at the WC now should be available.

NickSantigo

Are the players who just got knocked out of WC getting a week off before coming back?

Would make sense as they are all match sharp and are ready to go.

Game would be useful for players who have had no WC, little game time or knocked out in group stage

Idxomer

I dont get the players who played in the wc need a rest. In a normal season they would have probably played the same no of games at this time and wouldnt expect to be rested. Any that are not at the WC now should be available.
Yeah agreed and I think only Maguire and Shaw played all games in the World Cup. Most of them had 4 games or less since we last played a month ago.

Frank Grimes

‐--------------------De Gea--------------------
AWB---------Lindelof--Maguire-----Shaw
----‐------Mctominay------Fred--------------
Antony----------Bruno-----------Rashford
--------------------Martial------------------------

No reason this shouldn't be our team.

BorisManUtd

It's round of 16, only one of City and Liverpool will progress, there's also Newcastle, other rivals already got knocked out, ten Hag will want to go through and go all the way in this competition if possible.

De Gea, Malacia, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw, McTominay, Fred, Eriksen, Antony/Rashford, Sancho, Martial. Perhaps Wan Bissaka at RB if ten Hag is willing to give him a chance.

Martinez and Varane most probably won't start even if their NTs get knocked out in next 2 days. Bruno and Casemiro to come on in 2nd half if we're in trouble. Rashford and Antony haven't started too many games at WC, no need for lenghty rest for those two. I may be wrong and EtH starts with the strongest team including Casemiro and Bruno though.

MalaysianRed7

De Gea
Dalot Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Casemiro
Bruno Eriksen
Antony Martial Rashford

Surely we go full strength?

arthurka

Kompany would love nothing more than to get one over us. We will field a strong team for this.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Are the players who just got knocked out of WC getting a week off before coming back?

Would make sense as they are all match sharp and are ready to go.

Game would be useful for players who have had no WC, little game time or knocked out in group stage
Sure, if you want to go out of the cup at the hands of Burnley

lex talionis

Returning WC players also need a psychological break. Best to not push players like Bruno and Dalot too hard, but I think it’s safe to play Maguire. And definitely Rashford, who Southgate mindlessly barely ever played. Hopefully whatever treatment Sancho has been going through works its magic.

Boondog

Strongest team available to be picked.

Burnley are not going to be easy, just seen them play QPR on TV and I'm all for going as far as we can in any cup.

A team littered with some of our squad players isn't filling me with confidence.
Agreed. I'd rather go with quality given that the squad is coming off a break. Use the first half as a sharpener for the boys to play together and maybe that second half there's enough breathing room for creativity with the kids.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

There are lots of reasons the team is unlikely to be that strong

I wouldn't expect Shaw or Bruno to play given the amount of mins they played in Qatar and already played this season

Malacia didn't play at all at WC so surely starts

And Eriksen was home before Fred or Bruno so should play

alexthelion

Surely Eriksen for Fred.

Smores

Full strength from everyone available. No one needs a rest they've played less than normal.

Bruno and Casemiro won't be feeling sorry for themselves they're the types to push on from failures.

Only Martinez and Varane that should be unavailable surely? Perhaps Dalot if he did get an injury

Josh 76

Full strength from everyone available. No one needs a rest they've played less than normal.

Bruno and Casemiro won't be feeling sorry for themselves they're the types to push on from failures.

Only Martinez and Varane that should be unavailable surely? Perhaps Dalot if he did get an injury
Will be a big reality check for someone of the World Cup players. Playing in a warm sunny climate to a wet windy Wednesday evening against Burnley. Welcome back lads!

NoPace

Burnley play good stuff and Kompany will be desperate to get a win against us as a City guy and apparently being looked at by Belgium to replace Roberto Martinez. Need our wingers to win it for us I think, considering they should be fresh.

Frank Grimes

There are lots of reasons the team is unlikely to be that strong

I wouldn't expect Shaw or Bruno to play given the amount of mins they played in Qatar and already played this season

Malacia didn't play at all at WC so surely starts

And Eriksen was home before Fred or Bruno so should play
I forgot about Eriksen. Swap him for Bruno. Maybe Malacia for Shaw. The rest should be good to go.

Black Alabaster

It's round of 16, only one of City and Liverpool will progress, there's also Newcastle, other rivals already got knocked out
Exactly, this is our best chance at a trophy this season, would be massive for ETH. Strong as possble lineup please!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
-----------------------------De Gea
Wan Bissaka Lindelöf Maguire Malacia
---------------------McTominey VDB
-----------------Elanga Sancho Garnacho
-----------------------------Martial

Some of the WC players didnt play much so they should be available for at least 30-40 (Fred, Antony, Rashford etc)
On the contrary, it is the players who have actually had the opportunity to play some football in the last 6 weeks that are best placed to start, rather than ranking suitability based upon who is the least match fit!

Hughes35

Should be pretty full strength really.

Our Xmas fixtures are as kind as you can get so we need to make it count, I've no doubt other teams will drop points to we have to take the chance.

----------------------------------------------------De Gea------------------------------------------------
AWB------------------------------Lindelof-------------------Maguire---------------------------Malacia
----------------------------------------Mctom-------------------Eriksen------------------------------
Anthony-----------------------------------------------Bruno-------------------------------------------Rashford
-----------------------------------------------------------Martial---------------------------------------------------

Use 4 or 5 subs - Casemiro, Elanga, Garnacho, Fred and a somebody like Iqbal.