Mata Rooney Depay​

Expect:

DDG
Darmian Jones Blind Shaw
Carrick Schneiderlin
Mata Depay Young
Rooney​

Brightonian

I think there is 0% chance of this happening. For some reason LVG currently thinks;
Blind is a better option at CB than Smalling.
Herrera isn't a good option at no10.
Depays best position isn't left wing where he scored 20+ goals last season.
It really is damning when you put it like that. He clearly does think all of those things, and as far as a fan ever has the grounds to say so, they're all completely wrong.

ChaddyP

Why can't anyone understand that lvg is merely putting a pacey goal scorer closer to the goal in a free role with no defensive duties instead of having him further away. Yes we all love Herrera but Christ this love affair with him is slightly crazy :lol:. Depay may well Start on the left. I just don't see why it's seen as so far-fetched to play him in a free role and closer to the goal.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
While I prefer Darmian to Val for right back, can't start too many new players at once and we have a lot of change.. Id like to see..

DDG
Valencia Smalling Rojo Shaw
Carrick Schneiderlin
Mata Pereira Depay
Rooney

MrSingh2002

Why can't anyone understand that lvg is merely putting a pacey goal scorer closer to the goal in a free role with no defensive duties instead of having him further away. Yes we all love Herrera but Christ this love affair with him is slightly crazy :lol:. Depay may well Start on the left. I just don't see why it's seen as so far-fetched to play him in a free role and closer to the goal.
I think the reason is that it even goes against what the manager has previously said himself. He's said that in his "philosophy" he prefers a no10 which is a central midfielder who can get forward rather than a striker playing deeper. So even though we have Mata and Herrera both have been overlooked for an experiment. I don't think people want to see an experiment when we all are hoping we have an outside chance of winning the league if he plays people in their best positions.

Reactions: Penna

MrSingh2002

It really is damning when you put it like that. He clearly does think all of those things, and as far as a fan ever has the grounds to say so, they're all completely wrong.
I can see how at previous clubs LVG has recieved criticism as some of his decisions do seem unconventional. However if it works and we start the season well nobody will mind if were getting the wins. I just hope we dont end up ruing a poor start to the season again as we work out our best 11.

ChaddyP

I think the reason is that it even goes against what the manager has previously said himself. He's said that in his "philosophy" he prefers a no10 which is a central midfielder who can get forward rather than a striker playing deeper. So even though we have Mata and Herrera both have been overlooked for an experiment. I don't think people want to see an experiment when we all are hoping we have an outside chance of winning the league if he plays people in their best positions.

well thats fair. Though I dont think the 433 with only one #6 is as great as everyone thinks. yeah its great against teams that come at us. But i think its slightly limited when teams sit deep and just mark the runs from midfield. This system i think hes trying just to mix it up a bit. Just think patience is running out. Herrera is great and fun to watch but so is depay, this new style should be given a chance i think.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
If we don't get three points vs Spurs there will be a Van Gaal out topic. You can sense it on this forum, the snide comments about him in basically every thread. Disgusting.

do9

It will be :
De gea- darmian, smalling, blind, shaw- carrick, schneiderlin, herrera, - mata, young ( depay), rooney.

Cypriot

Romero
Darmian Smalling Rojo Shaw
Schneiderlin Bastian
Herrera
Mata(Pedro) Rooney Memphis
Would like to see that line up although I expect the following;
  • Rojo not match fit - replaced with Blind
  • Carrick in for Bastian
  • Mata/Young to start even if Pedro signs
  • Depay won't be played out wide
  • De Gea will probably start

Loublaze

ATLien
Romero
Darmian Smalling Rojo Shaw
Schneiderlin Bastian
Herrera
Mata(Pedro) Rooney Memphis
Would like to see that line up although I expect the following;
  • Rojo not match fit - replaced with Blind
  • Carrick in for Bastian
  • Mata/Young to start even if Pedro signs
  • Depay won't be played out wide
  • De Gea will probably start

Why would you throw Romero in so early?

If we don't get three points vs Spurs there will be a Van Gaal out topic. You can sense it on this forum, the snide comments about him in basically every thread. Disgusting.
Yes, its pathetic

Cypriot

Why would you throw Romero in so early?
Well if De Gea is going to leave, he looks the obvious choice to replace him as number one unless we pull something special out late in the window. Romero is 28 and an experienced goalkeeper, he isn't a kid who's getting thrown in the deep end - I'm sure he'd do the job for us. My main point being that I'd rather we planned for the inevitable future instead of playing De Gea who although is fantastic, may not be 100% mentally prepared for the game on Saturday.

Match is on in five days, there's no way Pedro has a chance of starting (if he signs, that is).
Pedro is match fit, he's been a part of Barcelona's pre season - although you are right, he probably wouldn't start unless he signed literally within the next two days and took part in a couple of training sessions.

Devil may care

Those wide options are fecking depressing. Also LvG has already stated that Blind, Shaw and Darmian will start so we know that much at least, unless one of them is crocked in the next few days.

Also the reason Memphis is closer to Rooney instead of in his correct position is to try and pick up the goal scoring slack as well as collect the ball after Rooney's first touch, to save Wayne chasing after it.

RedAle

Here's what I'd like to see based on form from the tour:
De Gea
Darmian-----Smalling------Blind------Shaw
Schneiderlin------Schweinsteiger
Mata----------Memphis---------Pereira
Rooney
I really think Pereira deserves a start after how he did on tour. I sure hope the team is ready for the first game this year.

Loublaze

ATLien
Well if De Gea is going to leave, he looks the obvious choice to replace him as number one unless we pull something special out late in the window. Romero is 28 and an experienced goalkeeper, he isn't a kid who's getting thrown in the deep end - I'm sure he'd do the job for us. My main point being that I'd rather we planned for the inevitable future instead of playing De Gea who although is fantastic, may not be 100% mentally prepared for the game on Saturday.

Pedro is match fit, he's been a part of Barcelona's pre season - although you are right, he probably wouldn't start unless he signed literally within the next two days and took part in a couple of training sessions.
Im pretty sure we simply signed Romero to replace Valdes. I expect United to sign another goalie as number one if De Gea leaves

Cypriot

Im pretty sure we simply signed Romero to replace Valdes. I expect United to sign another goalie as number one if De Gea leaves
You'd hope so wouldn't you. I fear that the longer this goes on, the harder it's going to become to sign a worthy replacement. Hope I'm wrong of course :nervous:

ChaddyP

You'd hope so wouldn't you. I fear that the longer this goes on, the harder it's going to become to sign a worthy replacement. Hope I'm wrong of course :nervous:
i have a feeling we will take Navas if De gea goes to madrid

ChaddyP

I don't rate him at all. He's just another Ospina/Bravo
Yeh I agree. But couldn't care... The goalie to get was cech and he's gone elsewhere unfortunately. :(. Doesn't matter anymore once it's not someone absolutely clueless I'm fine at this point. Wish we would just buy Oblak. But we won't

ricky-romeo

hoping for

---------------------de gea-----------------------
darmian----smalling-----jones------------shaw
---------------------carrick----------------------
-------------herrera---------schneiderlin------
-----mata----------rooney-----------memphis

Listar

If pass season is anything to go by, I wouldn't omit Carrick from the line-up. I suspect Van Gaal wouldn't either. Carrick schneiderlin will be a good midfield pairing.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
hoping for

Oh god this id perfect. Please Louie!

ken11

hoping for

That's the line-up I'd like to see.

kps88

We're less than a week away. Can we have a match day thread?

ghagua

Want to see this lineup:

[/IMG]

But with LvG, feck knows

Loublaze

ATLien
Yeh I agree. But couldn't care... The goalie to get was cech and he's gone elsewhere unfortunately. :(. Doesn't matter anymore once it's not someone absolutely clueless I'm fine at this point. Wish we would just buy Oblak. But we won't
I think we should avoid signing keepers (especially from foreign leagues) below 6'2 unless they are really good.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Want:

DDG
Darmian Smalling Jones Shaw
Carrick Schneiderlin
Herrera
Mata Rooney Depay​

Expect:

DDG
Darmian Jones Blind Shaw
Carrick Schneiderlin
Mata Depay Young
Rooney​

Same as me. I'd like to see the first lineup, but think Van Gaal will go for the second lineup. Someone told me Van Gaal's trying to trick Spurs into expecting Depay in the hole when he'll actually play wide but I don't reckon that's true. Van Gaal's always struck me as a "here's what I'm gonna do, try to stop me" kind of guy.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
DDG
Darmian Jones Blind Shaw
Carrick Schneiderlin
Memphis
Mata Rooney Pedro
Not the most popular choice but it has the philosophy all written on it.

Jacob

LVG:
DDG
DARMIAN--------JONES--------BLIND--------SHAW
SCHNEIDERLIN-------CARRICK
MATA-----------DEPAY----------YOUNG
ROONEY

ME:

DDG
DARMIAN--------SMALLING--------ROJO--------SHAW
SCHNEIDERLIN-------CARRICK
MATA-----------HERRERA----------DEPAY
ROONEY​

ferguson2

I'm a bit worried for the first game. There's too much unrest in our team with the DDG situation, which could lead to a start for Romero who is not Manchester United level. In midfield i would play Herrera and not Carrick along Schweinsteiger. It's similar to the Alonso and Schweinsteiger pairing which didn't work for Bayern.

Nevertheless I think we start like this.

Romero​
Darmian Smalling Blind Shaw
Carrick Schweinsteiger
Memphis​
Mata Rooney Young​

Brightonian

I can see how at previous clubs LVG has recieved criticism as some of his decisions do seem unconventional. However if it works and we start the season well nobody will mind if were getting the wins. I just hope we dont end up ruing a poor start to the season again as we work out our best 11.
That's true. If it works - and his track record suggests that it does, eventually - then I won't be complaining. Well, not much.

Same as me. I'd like to see the first lineup, but think Van Gaal will go for the second lineup. Someone told me Van Gaal's trying to trick Spurs into expecting Depay in the hole when he'll actually play wide but I don't reckon that's true. Van Gaal's always struck me as a "here's what I'm gonna do, try to stop me" kind of guy.
Yeah, I agree. He doesn't seem the sort to play games like that with his opponent. And I remember seeing (and engaging in, probably) similar wishful thinking last season with the whole 352 thing, and every time it just turned out that he was inexplicably sticking with it.

Last edited:

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I would bet on at least 2 players playing out of position and Herrera starting on the bench.

mswiss

i think im the only one whose intregued by blind playing center back. If we go on controlling games like we did last season i wouldn't mind it at all. I'd prefer if Smalling partnered him as he's better at headers and quick. Blinds passing would hopefully help us a lot where we had problems breaking down teams.

Red-Jeff

i think im the only one whose intregued by blind playing center back. If we go on controlling games like we did last season i wouldn't mind it at all. I'd prefer if Smalling partnered him as he's better at headers and quick. Blinds passing would hopefully help us a lot where we had problems breaking down teams.
I'm kind of curious about it too, if he can cope with the physical part he definitely has the intelligence and technique required.