Steed Malbranque retires from football

Brophs

The One and Only
That's tough. Hopefully his kid can get better and he can get back to playing.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Always used to think he had a cool name, this is really sad news for him, all the best to his family.

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
Always liked Steed even if he did play for the Spuds. Hope the kid manages to pull through, nobody deserves something like that regardless of what age you are but even moreso when you're a kid. It's just terrible luck, hope he manages to make a full recovery while drawing on every bit of strength around him and within.

Collina

Would've been great to have some sort of support banner for him at Old Trafford (or at Reebok against Bolton). Very sad, let's hope he'll be fine.

Eriku

Some kids are just lucky, I guess :(

Hope his kid makes a full recovery, and that Steed finds his way back to the pitch... I've always liked his style of play.

Forever Red

STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDD

Good luck to you and your boy

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Would've been great to have some sort of support banner for him at Old Trafford (or at Reebok against Bolton). Very sad, let's hope he'll be fine.
agreed, would be a class move

Makki

QUITTER
freguson y u rest the ginger prawn hes most import
I agree with the sentiment but I don't think it's our place to support him with a banner, I think we should leave that to the clubs he actually played for.

I remember when Liverpool played the Everton theme song for a young Everton supported who had passed away and thought of it as an attention-seeking move because it should be up to Everton to honour the child.

I hope his son has a speedy recovery, has to be awful to have something like that happen to you as a parent.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
That's such an awful thing to happen. What else is there to say except I hope his kid makes a full recovery and Malbranque can return to the game at some stage.

MrK

I agree with the sentiment but I don't think it's our place to support him with a banner, I think we should leave that to the clubs he actually played for.

I remember when Liverpool played the Everton theme song for a young Everton supported who had passed away and thought of it as an attention-seeking move because it should be up to Everton to honour the child.
Nah, if it happens it shouldn't be a problem. If Liverpool honoured an Everton supporter who passed away, then fair play to them. These things are bigger than football and football rivalries.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded

I hope his son has a speedy recovery, has to be awful to have something like that happen to you as a parent.
Nah, if it happens it shouldn't be a problem. If Liverpool honoured an Everton supporter who passed away, then fair play to them. These things are bigger than football and football rivalries.

Pretty sure that was Rhys Jones, and I don't think there was anything but respect shown to the gesture.

204Red

best wishes to Steed and his son.

Still remember when he inspired Fulham to an unlikely win at OT back in 2003.

wr8_utd

:'(
Rob Harris
Malbranque's legal team denies he's retiring: "Steed does not have a son and his immediate family are all in good health"

What the hell?

wr8_utd

:'(
Steed Malbranque's representatives have dismissed reports the former Fulham, Tottenham and Sunderland midfielder has retired from football to care for an ill family member.

Reports emerging from France over the weekend, and repeated in a number of British publications, claimed that the 31-year-old, who joined French outfit St Etienne this summer, had decided to quit as his young son was suffering from cancer.

But in a statement released to Press Association Sport by solicitors working on the instruction of Malbranque's agent, Sebastien Boisseau, it is made clear that the Frenchman does not have a son and that no member of his immediate family is in ill health. "Steed has read with concern the recent stories currently circulating about him and his family," read the statement which as issued by London-based solicitors Thomas Cooper.

"He would like to reassure all of his friends in England and throughout world football that these stories are wholly without foundation.

"Steed does not have a son and his immediate family are all in good health. Steed does not know the origin of these stories but would like to stress that they are without merit.

"He trusts that they will now cease immediately."

Malbranque's switch to St Etienne last month ended a 10-year stay in English football, during which time he made a total of 336 Premier League appearances.

After impressing at Lyon following his debut for the club in 1998, Malbranque secured a move to Fulham in 2001 and went on to make over 200 appearances for the west London club.

Malbranque transferred to Tottenham in the summer of 2006, going on to make over 60 appearances, before joining Sunderland in 2008.
Really confusing

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
This is strange and sick in so many ways..........

I hope this guy who has started this rumour has no luck more in his life.

But why needs Malbranque a whole week to deny this story.......come on Steve it was everywhere on the internet, in the papers and even on TV.

But it's wierd that someone can start a "big rumour" like this one and everybody believes it.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
this is nothing you joke about, as someone who has lost close people from cancer, knows a 17 year old that could die any moment because of cancer hope whoever started this rumor gets his faced smacked by someone!