Stefan Johansen

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
21 year old central midfielder, currently with Norwegian side Strømsgodset.

IMO the best central midfielder in the league this season - he's outperformed Wolff Eikrem at Molde, although I'd say Wolff is more of an attacking mid, and Johansen plays the deep-lying playmaker role reminiscent of for example Pirlo.

I think he's going to be top class. People talk about Markus Henriksen when we talk about midfielders in Norway, but this lad's got much more about him. He's got a fantastic passing range and accuracy, posesses positional intelligence in abundance, offers a goal threat, great set piece delivery, vision, and is very proficient in finding the killer pass.

As far as central midfielders go, his skillset is just about complete. The only thing I'd question is the defensive side of the game, but while it's not his biggest strength, he does put a shift in. Needs to understand his role defensively a bit more, and learn to read where the balls are going to come, but he's shown great development in this area of his game as well as every other.

Now here's the interesting part: He came to Strømsgodset before the start of last season, so he's spent about a year and a half with them. He was slightly chubby, questions were raised about his dedication, work rate and mentality, and got a bit of a reputation for being a big time charlie in his former club, Bodø/Glimt.

Glimt were relegated in his last season, and he barely got a sniff. When he came to Strømsgodset, he was regarded as a winger. The first season at his new club was spent mostly in their second side, where he did decently enough. At the end of last season, he impressed in the first team when he got the chance as a left back.

Then, this season, the manager's suddenly decided to play him as a central midfielder, the deep lying part of a midfield three - and he's been absolutely brilliant. Out of nowhere he's emerged as one of the contenders for player of the season, and surely can't be far away from his international debut.

His development this last year and a half is almost unprecedented, he's gotten lean and fit, his work rate is tremendous, and his obvious natural talent has really made itself count in the position as a central midfielder.

Watch out for this kid - dare I say it, he would be perfect in terms of the type of player we need at United - even though there's no way to be sure if he'll ever be good enough. My prediction though is that he will find himself at a top club abroad in a maximum of two years.

What say my fellow viewers of the Norwegian league?

RedLars

Haven't watched Strømsgodset at all this season, and didn't even know he'd impressed that much at all. He's from Vardø though, so he's representing Northern-Norway (thumbs up!), and one of my best mates who's from the same place as him has been raving about him for years.

Will follow him more closely, and ask what my mate thinks about what he's done this season.

marjen

Update: Been named player of the year in Norway by Norwegian broadcaster TV2. Says he "might sign a new contract", but also that he's "aware that the U21 Euros next summer will be a good place to impress other people".

Central midfielder, can tackle, very good passer of the ball, great passing range, and has developed a hell of a lot the past year. Very good on the ball in tight spaces.

He'll play for a good club in the future.

Laphroaig

POTY is/should be Forren.

I haven't seen a lot of Godset, but I wasn't too impressed with Johansen (and Konradsen) against France U21.

marjen

POTY is/should be Forren.

I haven't seen a lot of Godset, but I wasn't too impressed with Johansen (and Konradsen) against France U21.
I've probably watched Godset the most. I think Johansen has been immense, Konradsen less so (but still quite good this autumn.)

Forren is quality I agree, but I think Johansen's potential is unique.

marjen

Well, he's probably an old schoolmate of yours, so you're biased.
While he went to the same school as me for a period, I don't know him personally. But sure, I'm biased. To think Glimt didn't deem him good enough, the useless twats! :mad:

TheReligion

Abusive
I think it is difficult to talk about talent in Norway as you have the likes of Eikrem, who never could break through here, bossing things.

The difference in class is phenominal.

marjen

I think it is difficult to talk about talent in Norway as you have the likes of Eikrem, who never could break through here, bossing things.

The difference in class is phenominal.
I always felt Eikrem were a bit too lightweight. Johansen won't have that problem. And I'm not suggesting we should buy him.

Also, it's not easy to break through at United, plus there's endless factors that decide whether or not someone breaks through. Paul Pogba couldn't break through at United, it's not the most definite of benchmarks.

TheReligion

Abusive
I always felt Eikrem were a bit too lightweight. Johansen won't have that problem. And I'm not suggesting we should buy him.

Also, it's not easy to break through at United, plus there's endless factors that decide whether or not someone breaks through. Paul Pogba couldn't break through at United, it's not the most definite of benchmarks.
I don't think the Pogba analogy is a good one. We all knew he could break through, and he did play some first team PL games, however, with everything going on in the background it is hard to know right now why he didn't get more game time.

We never had anything like that with Eikrem.

Laphroaig

Eikrem might well eventually become a PL midfielder at least. And we'll probably see my Norwegian player of the year in PL from January on, that'll give us something to go on.

Eirik Raude

To be fair to Eikrem, he wasn't too far away from breaking into the first team. People also forget that he got diagnosed with diabetes during his time with United, and that is not something you learn to handle just like that, especially if you are trying to become a professional footballer. If he hadn't signed for Molde when he did, I guess he would be in the first team squad now.

As for Johansen, he is very promising. That said, I don't agree that he outperformed Eikrem this year (they have almost the exact same rating most places). I want to see him take another step or two in Tippeligaen next season, and if he does that, I think bigger clubs will come after him.

marjen

Currently tearing it apart at the Euro U21s. Apparently Everton's chief scout Bryan King has been following him for a while, and Martinez is interested in bringing him to the Premier League.

He's developing at such a rate that I wouldn't be surprised if he could reach a level where he could be a realistic transfer target for us. Young, huge potential, and cojones to go with it.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I've not managed to catch a Norway game yet. Will watch out for him in the semis.

Is your Pirlo comparison still apt by the way or has his development taken him in a different direction?

marjen

I've not managed to catch a Norway game yet. Will watch out for him in the semis.

Is your Pirlo comparison still apt by the way or has his development taken him in a different direction?
He's a bit more dynamic than Pirlo in style. He's very good at running at players with the ball and driving forward with it, but he's intelligent enough to pick his moments. What reminds me of Pirlo is his ability to bypass both midfield and defence with a lofted pass. He's got a peach of a left foot.

I think he's stepped up a notch or two from when I started this thread. Would be surprised if he didn't end up in a big league this summer or in January.

marjen

I've decided he's the one we're going to sign.

I'd say about £3 million would do it. At the very least no more than £5.

Quite simply way, way too good to be playing in Norway. 22 years old, had a great U21 European Championship, has been one of the very best players in the league for two seasons running (I'd argue the best) and he's getting better and better.

Scores goals, got a great eye for a pass, could play the Carrick-role if we refined his talent a bit in terms of reading the game, could play alongside Carrick as the box-to-box-option... His potential is through the roof. Fantastic passing game both short and long, comfortable on the ball, high work rate and creative. The Norwegian Modric is quite an apt nickname, although I'd argue he's better playing as a deep lying playmaker.

So, Moyes, sign him up!

marjen

You're biased, marjen.
Obviously.

And, I might add, quite desperate.

Doesn't change the fact I honestly believe this guy will end up a very good player at say Premier League-level, or another league if that's where he's headed.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
By far the best Norwegian player in the league this season, would be a shame if he couldnt help Godset to a league-win

marjen

By far the best Norwegian player in the league this season, would be a shame if he couldnt help Godset to a league-win
If the fecker had scored against Rosenborg he very well might have.

Fun fact: He slipped on vomit at a party I was at once. True story.

Also, do you think he'll go this transfer window? A high number of scouts apparently present at the RBK-match, including Milan, right?

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Nah, I dont think Deila would let him go. They barely agreed to sell Villsvik (and he chose to stay! wohoo!) due to illness in his family, so I guess they'll do everything in their power to keep them until january I guess. Johansen himself said that he wont leave to sit on a bench somewhere, so he's in no rush.

marjen

Nah, I dont think Deila would let him go. They barely agreed to sell Villsvik (and he chose to stay! wohoo!) due to illness in his family, so I guess they'll do everything in their power to keep them until january I guess. Johansen himself said that he wont leave to sit on a bench somewhere, so he's in no rush.
Let's just bid £26 million and see what happens.

Laphroaig

Harsh, considering he was the best player on the park and probably the biggest reason Godset are in contention.
Yeah, it wasn't entirely serious of course.

"Weegie is also a slang term for a person of the country of Norway, and can sometimes refer to the Norwegian language." What?! I've never heard that before.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Yeah, it wasn't entirely serious of course.

"Weegie is also a slang term for a person of the country of Norway, and can sometimes refer to the Norwegian language." What?! I've never heard that before.

Oh and Weegie can also refer to Glaswegians so I didn't want there to be any confusion about who I was talking down to.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Who else is painfully unsurprised by the fact that marjen can't hold his liquor?

lysglimt

Scout
F... moron. Well it took him 1 minute to show that he is not ready for this level of football

lysglimt

Scout
Those 3 in central midfield - Johansen, Eikrem and Henriksen have all been awful. They either don't understand or are capable of solving their defensive duties.

lysglimt

Scout
ok - I ll forgive you quite a bit for that goal 2-2 now - fun game