Steve' N'Zonzi - Best DM in the world at the moment?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I've been keeping track of this guy since he played for Blackburn and though he was interesting in the U-21 for France. Back then he was very puppy-like and perhaps a bit light weight. I think his choices of clubs have been good for his career. At Blackburn and Stoke he's been learning the trade of defending + been playing with some of the toughest thugs in the game. These sort of things will influence your game.

Seeing him at Sevilla it's obvious he's been taking the step up to being a real generation star. He's the kind of player who had to wait for his chance and has grown into his suit. He's totally dominant on the ball, amazing accuracy with passing, calm and composed, great physical attributes, perfect vision and movement.

He'll be 28 this year and is ready to play for a top club. I believe he's going to be one of the top targets for any club within a year. I really hope we'll be in for him as soon as possible. Apparently rumors has it he's on a £20m buy out clause.
He is special. But Busquets is still King. Ill say he is the 'Prince'

Here we go another best Dm in the league stuff. Reminds me of a french dude we had.

We need a dm/holding player with decent passing range. Otherwise, they would flop at united, imo.

We never really play with a pure DM just to destroy the other team for ages. Not our style and we won't have many teams playing against us to destroy anyway.
Nzonzi isnt a destroyer. People constantly conflate the fact he was ace at doing the spoiling job at Stoke and Blackburn under Pulis and Allardyce that he cant do much else. At Sevilla he had disproved all of that. He is a player very much in the mould of Villareal legend Marcos Senna.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Interesting path and develoment. Was a «nobody» at Blackburn and Stoke up until he was 27.

Might be worth remembering before one writes of a youngster looking a bit average at Man Utd at the age of 21-22.

Dr Baltar

Sure about that mate? De Bruyne is essentially playing as a CM now.
De Bruyne is better for sure but not a "proper" centre mid if you know what I mean. Box to box or deeper lying midfielders are what I was comparing N'Zonzi to. Outside of Kante, Matic, Pogba and Fernandinho there aren't many other great CMs in the league at the moment & I'd take him over those players at the moment.

Culero

Nzonzi is the next best ball playing DM in the world after Busquets. PSG seem like an obvious destination tailor made replacement for Motta. The player Wenger ahould have bought instead of Xhaka.

Dr Baltar

Nzonzi isnt a destroyer. People constantly conflate the fact he was ace at doing the spoiling job at Stoke and Blackburn under Pulis and Allardyce that he cant do much else. At Sevilla he had disproved all of that. He is a player very much in the mould of Villareal legend Marcos Senna.
Definitely. He makes a hell of a lot of tackles & interceptions but he rarely gives the ball away without playing only safe passes. He dominated in midfield last year under Sampaoli when he basically played midfield on his own. Back four, N'Zonzi & 5 attakcers yet he still came out on top most of the time.
Closest thing I've seen to Vieira, insane that he only has 2 France caps.

No exaggeration at all to say that he's one of the top three most complete midfielders in the world. Some other players are better at certain things but I struggle to think of another midfielder that's a more complete player at the moment. Not just a flash in the pan either, last three years he's been doing it.

Dr Baltar

Nzonzi is the next best ball playing DM in the world after Busquets. PSG seem like an obvious destination tailor made replacement for Motta. The player Wenger ahould have bought instead of Xhaka.
The fact that Wenger watched him annihilate them in pre season and score a screamer but didn't desperately try to sign him is mind boggling. As if their midfield didn't need him

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I do not not think he is better than the likes of Fabinho and Kondogbia let alone someone like Casemiro.

Zoo

I was watching him and Banega yesterday thinking why don’t we just sign both, transplant their midfield into our side.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
People are sleeping on him because he played for Stoke/Blackburn, even then he looked a good player quite often.

He would be a great rotation option with Matic IMO, or even as a 3rd CM in tougher games.

haram

I was watching him and Banega yesterday thinking why don’t we just sign both, transplant their midfield into our side.
"Sevilla have players that would play for me :wenger:"

People are sleeping on him because he played for Stoke/Blackburn, even then he looked a good player quite often.

He would be a great rotation option with Matic IMO, or even as a 3rd CM in tougher games.
I remember he was always linked with Chelsea.

Yagami

Good post resistant

He'd be a great partner for Matic, never-mind rotational option. Both can sit deep and contribute to the attack, so, if one pushes up, the other can sit. Though I'd say Matic is better than him further upfield and N'Zonzi is better defensively.

Banega, though - he's the real star. When he's got his head screwed on he's easily one of the best CMs in the world. It's why - when everyone was saying we had an easy round - I was confident of us getting knocked out as we are a mess tactically and he, alongside N'Zonzi, could and did pick us apart.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Pair of them were bang average against us and they're not exactly in the first flush are they?

Zoo

They are not an improvement on Pogba and Matic.
Yeah I wasn’t being fully serious. Though Banega when in the mood is a wonderful player and has shown it against Barca on multiple occasions.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He'd be a great partner for Matic, never-mind rotational option. Both can sit deep and contribute to the attack, so, if one pushes up, the other can sit. Though I'd say Matic is better than him further upfield and N'Zonzi is better defensively.

Banega, though - he's the real star. When he's got his head screwed on he's easily one of the best CMs in the world. It's why - when everyone was saying we had an easy round - I was confident of us getting knocked out as we are a mess tactically and he, alongside N'Zonzi, could and did pick us apart.
Yeah he's fantastic on his day, but far too inconsistent. I remember a few years ago the caf was desperate to sign him, he reminds me of Modric.

Definitely. He makes a hell of a lot of tackles & interceptions but he rarely gives the ball away without playing only safe passes. He dominated in midfield last year under Sampaoli when he basically played midfield on his own. Back four, N'Zonzi & 5 attakcers yet he still came out on top most of the time.
Closest thing I've seen to Vieira, insane that he only has 2 France caps.

No exaggeration at all to say that he's one of the top three most complete midfielders in the world. Some other players are better at certain things but I struggle to think of another midfielder that's a more complete player at the moment. Not just a flash in the pan either, last three years he's been doing it.
He did it at Stoke and Blackburn too. But was regularly tarred with the same brush as his managers. I remember how so many laughed when Allardyce insisted Nzonzi's level was a top 4 or European giant team. Yet he was never wrong.

Yeah I wasn’t being fully serious. Though Banega when in the mood is a wonderful player and has shown it against Barca on multiple occasions.
Joking aside it makes sense. They are the two exact midfielder's we lack. Nzonzi is the perfect double pivot partner and alternative to Matic. Whilst Banega can play make just like Pogba, can operate as a second 8 and as a natural 10. Meaning he'd largely be a second Pogba to call on. Sadly we wont look their way.....

Dr Baltar

Incredible again yesterday and topped it off with a banger. Tired team & down to ten men, yet he still dominated.
Been in Seville to see his last two games against Barca & Villarreal and he has been the best player on the park by a long way in both games (outside of Messi's 20 minute cameo).

Crazy transfer fees these days yet nobody has paid his 30mil buyout clause? Mind-boggling.
Whoever gets him this summer will be getting an absolute stud.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Juve wanted him but they tried to lowball Sevilla and walked away. He is very underrated and consistently sevilla's best player. He'll be gone especially if Sevilla misses the El.

Dr Baltar

I also rate him, quite baffling that no one bought him.
Can't understand it for the life of me. It's not like there's an abundance of dominating midfielders around at the moment. Without doubt would be the best box-to-box cm in the prem. Laughable that Wenger watched him destroy them in pre season yet didn't try to get him

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Seems very much like a shrewd Juve signing.
I always get the image of him being ridiculously immobile, but he's more nimble than I give him credit for.

If Matic was on his last legs, then I'd sign him up this Summer. Alas, I think Mourinho will be happy with our defensive midfield cover and will be looking for a more "engine" sort of midfielder in the Herrera mould.

Will end up in Italy or, a shot in the dark, City in the Summer.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Can't understand it for the life of me. It's not like there's an abundance of dominating midfielders around at the moment. Without doubt would be the best box-to-box cm in the prem. Laughable that Wenger watched him destroy them in pre season yet didn't try to get him
He is not a b2b cm. He is a 6/DM who excels at playing alone Infront of the defence. He is extremely good at keeping the ball under pressure, which makes him a great partner to a CM who can dictate the play. He is always available as passing option even if the opposition is pressing. That said his passing is limited and he sticks to short passes to the guys next to him. Overall his "creative" contribution is very limited.

Dr Baltar

Seems very much like a shrewd Juve signing.
I always get the image of him being ridiculously immobile, but he's more nimble than I give him credit for.

If Matic was on his last legs, then I'd sign him up this Summer. Alas, I think Mourinho will be happy with our defensive midfield cover and will be looking for a more "engine" sort of midfielder in the Herrera mould.

Will end up in Italy or, a shot in the dark, City in the Summer.
Considering how much McTominay played earlier this season I think we could still do with him despite having Matic too. A midfield three of him, Matic and Pogba would be a Mourinho dream surely? He played a bit more advanced yesterday, not the silkiest of players obviously but he doesn't give the ball away in the final third and can make stuff happen.

Definitely think like yourself that he will be a Juve player next year and everyone will marvel at the fact that they got such a player on the cheap. Sevilla's a great club but he should have been playing for one of the very top clubs the last two years at least

Dr Baltar

He is not a b2b cm. He is a 6/DM who excels at playing alone Infront of the defence. He is extremely good at keeping the ball under pressure, which makes him a great partner to a CM who can dictate the play. He is always available as passing option even if the opposition is pressing. That said his passing is limited and he sticks to short passes to the guys next to him. Overall his "creative" contribution is very limited.
That is his main position yes, I only made the b2b distinction so people don't include players like de bruyne or iniesta when comparing him to midfielders.

Definitely not as penetrative as players like that but he's no slouch when attacking either. Keeps it simple but does it quickly. Don't think I've ever seen someone nick the ball off him.

Dr Baltar

So what? He's in his prime, he seems to have great levels of fitness, he'll be fine for probably 4-5 years.
Exactly why I would love us to sign him. 4-2-3-1 with two of him, Matic or pogba would be our best midfield in a long time and definitely the best in the prem. That would be us sorted for the next 2-3 years at least.