Steven Gerrard | Al-Ettifaq Manager

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I just can't see him as some kind of modern tactical manager with modern coaching ideas. Strikes me as the same type of manager as Keane/Lampard/Ole - living of their reps as players and all about "Hardwork, passion and determination"
Based on what?

Lampard had modern ideas. He just couldn't implement them successfully.

James Peril

I just can't see him as some kind of modern tactical manager with modern coaching ideas. Strikes me as the same type of manager as Keane/Lampard/Ole - living of their reps as players and all about "Hardwork, passion and determination"
Entirely correct. And what they lack is the drive to get stuck in and overcome obstacles, they can just quit and enter punditry if needed or if they feel unappreciated. A disasterous appointment by Aston Villa in every way, this guy does not deserve the chance and he is not qualified to lead a good Premier League-club yet. The problem with the players that just retired is their affiliation with the former club and the lack of loyalty to the new one, it's a playground to entertain themselves after retirement. The Scottish league is no reference either, just as Norway is no reference, those two are much closer to each other relative to the Premier League. Gerrard is a pashun and grit kind of guy, he has never impressed me when it comes to tactical understanding or learning the game. No way he does better than Dean Smith and no way they are going to get Europe with him in charge, something which is extremely difficult anyway - so won't really hold that against him. Gone by the end of next Christmas which is probably going to mess up his chances of getting the Liverpool-gig. I hate Gerrard.

MileStolar

Not great to be honest. Last year was obviously exceptionally good, but we didn't make the Champions League which was a big failure and we've been slow to get going despite being top of the table. We have a tough run of fixtures coming up with Celtic improving so the timing is pretty poor from his perspective. As much as most of us appreciate how far he's taken us, I think most fans will be a little let down by the timing of the move when he had a strong chance to win another title and get us back in the Champions League. Had he done that, I reckon most fans would have understood him moving onto a new challenge and wished him well. It's a little tainted right now, but provided we get the next appointmetn right and once the dust settles he'll be looked back fondly.
Cheers for the insight, kinda annoying to get your manager snatched like that mid season. It's bad enough when they take your best player, but that's still just a cog while the manager is brains, which is something that can't be replaced as easily...

beer&grill

I respect him for choosing the hard way when he could’ve waited for the Nepotism and DNA Way.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Bizarre.

Having got Rangers back to the top of Scottish football, and made them a decent Europa League side, I reckon Gerrard would've been in the conversation for England when Southgate goes after Qatar 2022. Lets face it, who else do we have?

At Villa he won't win anything. He might even get dragged down into the relegation conversation. Hardly the set up for a big job. Weird career management.

Deery

Dreary
Entirely correct. And what they lack is the drive to get stuck in and overcome obstacles, they can just quit and enter punditry if needed or if they feel unappreciated. A disasterous appointment by Aston Villa in every way, this guy does not deserve the chance and he is not qualified to lead a good Premier League-club yet. The problem with the players that just retired is their affiliation with the former club and the lack of loyalty to the new one, it's a playground to entertain themselves after retirement. The Scottish league is no reference either, just as Norway is no reference, those two are much closer to each other relative to the Premier League. Gerrard is a pashun and grit kind of guy, he has never impressed me when it comes to tactical understanding or learning the game. No way he does better than Dean Smith and no way they are going to get Europe with him in charge, something which is extremely difficult anyway - so won't really hold that against him. Gone by the end of next Christmas which is probably going to mess up his chances of getting the Liverpool-gig. I hate Gerrard.
That’s nonsense Gerrard plays good football and sets his team up right, bet you’ve never even watched Rangers play.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Making all the right moves, good board with money to spend, first goal will be to get them in the top 10 and show progression.

TheGame

He has a way of playing and sets them up like that, in a 4-3-3. He won the Scottish league so Villa got him on the back of that, not based on his former playing abilities, To state the above before he has even managed them is a overreaction.

beer&grill

What are you on about? He got offered a better job in a better league.
He could’ve waited for Klopp to go and hope Liverpool will do an Ole. Now he’s taken a risk while trying to prove he’s got what it takes to manage Liverpool.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
You've literally just concocted your own fantasy based nothing more than a vague impression of what he was like as a person when he was a player.

TheGame

He could’ve waited for Klopp to go and hope Liverpool will do an Ole. Now he’s taken a risk while trying to prove he’s got what it takes to manage Liverpool.
Oh FFS, it's nothing like Ole and Ole wasn't waiting around for Mourinho to go. I don't buy this taking risk stuff, if he wants to be better manager, he's going to a club which will give him that chance. There is no guarantee when Klopp will go and even if they would hire Gerrard if he stayed at Rangers so its hardly a risk.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Based on your assessment of Rangers over the last 3 years?

I'd have thought his use of a 4-3-3, high line, compact midfield, inverted wingers, overlapping full-backs were pretty much the prototype of what constitutes "modern tactics with modern coaching ideas".

Now of course Gerrard owes much of the tactical preparation to Beale who is the real mastermind in making Rangers dominate Celtic and become such a solid proposition in Europe in recent years. But that's modern football where a management team comes together and, importantly for Villa, they're getting the full package (Gerrard, McCallister and Beale) which should set them up well.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
How did his Rangers side play? Is he a progressive manager or a dinosaur?

It's a bold move for him, as others have said, if he messes it up, he'll rule himself out of the Liverpool gig. He's also under more pressure than people seem to realise as Villa have money, a decent squad and ambition to be more than they are now. They won't let him wreck that if he's not up to scratch.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
No bitterness amongst the Rangers support that he's left you so soon?
Aye there is some to be fair. Guilty of the same Rodgers mistake of saying one thing to the press then doing another thing soon after. We always knew he was going to move on, and he almost got shipped out by the club in early 2020 when the season went tits-up, but given the way he'd handled most things, we thought the timing would have been cleaner when that day did arrive.

Deery

Dreary
Being the least deserving team to ever win the CL at that. We'd have to come up with a lot of new words for players who actually won leagues and CLs in their careers.
He did the treble with Liverpool didn’t he, lifted more silverware than most clubs have the last 30 years.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Based on your assessment of Rangers over the last 3 years?

I'd have thought his use of a 4-3-3, high line, compact midfield, inverted wingers, overlapping full-backs were pretty much the prototype of what constitutes "modern tactics with modern coaching ideas".

Now of course Gerrard owes much of the tactical preparation to Beale who is the real mastermind in making Rangers dominate Celtic and become such a solid proposition in Europe in recent years. But that's modern football where a management team comes together and, importantly for Villa, they're getting the full package (Gerrard, McCallister and Beale) which should set them up well.
Didn’t he go a little bit down the Lampard “it’s not my fault, it’s the players” route early on on his Rangers career?

That’s always the biggest worry about managers like him (or, say, Roy Keane) No time for players that aren’t as good as them and turn on those players when the going gets tough. Be interesting to see how he handles a bit of adversity and how that goes down with his squad. That’s something he hasn’t properly experienced yet.

Okey

Quite the leap of faith from the Villa heirarchy to sack Dean Smith and hire Gerrard. I hope it blows up horribly in their faces. Mainly Stevie G's.

Moby

Dick
He did the treble with Liverpool didn’t he, lifted more silverware than most clubs have the last 30 years.
"Massive success as a player" is something you'd say about someone like Xavi or Maldini or something, not a guy who once won a mickey mouse treble and regularly shat the league season after season. He's not even the most decorated player at Liverpool in the last 30 years let alone when you consider all the other clubs.

Needham

"Massive success as a player" is something you'd say about someone like Xavi or Maldini or something, not a guy who once won a mickey mouse treble and regularly shat the league season after season. He's not even the most decorated player at Liverpool in the last 30 years let alone when you consider all the other clubs.
Quite. To me, Gerrard had never been anything more than a ball-hogging, Hollywood passing, defensive liability with dubious gangster connections and a slain forehead.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Didn’t he go a little bit down the Lampard “it’s not my fault, it’s the players” route early on on his Rangers career?

That’s always the biggest worry about managers like him (or, say, Roy Keane) No time for players that aren’t as good as them and turn on those players when the going gets tough. Be interesting to see how he handles a bit of adversity and how that goes down with his squad. That’s something he hasn’t properly experienced yet.
Like Keane he demands high standards of his players which the fans obviously lap up. But I'm not sure the parallels with the likes of Keane are correct to be honest. He has a loyal squad, with next to no departures, who, as far as we know and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise, respect and want to play for him. We've had some poor spells in the last 3 years. We won nothing in the first two seasons and collapsed when set for the title in 2019/20. But he's dug in well and kept the players onside. I agree that it will be a different experience moving from one club where he is expected to win every week, to another where he'll have to manage the response to more regular defeats without the emotion we saw from him as a player.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Always liked Villa, not anymore. Hope they get relegated or at least finish just above relegation places.

Deery

Dreary
I can understand your dislike for Gerrard but let’s not pretend he wasn’t a great player if he had moved to Real Madrid that time I’ve not doubt he would’ve won more than a few LaLiga’s..

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Surprised to see him cut short his stint at rangers tbh, especially considering he was doing so well. I guess the lure of the PL is too big.