Stretford End

Sir A1ex

Probably the most pathetic moment yesterday was after we got the winner, and then the whistle went. Didn't hear a single "Who put the ball in the Brummie's net" or "you are my solskjaer". Just a half arsed "We love United, we do" when the cheering died down. We could have at least managed a "que sera" or something, for the cup like... everybody knows the words and it's a peace of piss for a huge crowd to sing and make sound good.

Lazlo Woodbine

I think for a fans campaign to work the club need to be onside too. The old VFC made the West Stand Tier 2 pretty vocal and it still is even now. The problem with the acoustics of Old Trafford though mean that even though it can be really noisey over there the East side of the ground doesn't really here it that well. With the odd really noisey song.
I know traditionally the Stretford End side of the ground is the voice box of the stadium, but a good idea might be to relocate people wanting to sing to pockets of 3000 behind each goal and on the half way lines. That way it'd be like having 4 sets of "away" fans all around the stadium that would also link up the noise better too. Each 3000 would make a pretty good noicse on their own and would combine to make a really good noise with people joining in around the edges.
To do this the club would have to very committed to relocations etc and I doubt they'd bother with all the hassle.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
not a bad idea lazlo. and if i have to hand out fecking song sheets outside OT to improve the atmosphere i fecking will!

actually no thats as bad as the giving away free scarf routine at SJP

Sir A1ex

Asked this in another thread, but, does anybody know anybody who was involved in VFC? Would like to hear how they got on when working with the club on this - whether the club were keen and helpful, or whether they just obstructed them and made it all as hard as possible. Wonder what chance we'd have trying to get any more action taken on it?

londonredmaniac

ive suggested this before A1, kind of in conjunction with amass caf meet up for a few games and get the atmosphere going outside OT an hour or so before the game.

Fecking liven it all up

Lazlo Woodbine

londonredmaniac said:
not a bad idea lazlo. and if i have to hand out fecking song sheets outside OT to improve the atmosphere i fecking will!

actually no thats as bad as the giving away free scarf routine at SJP
Foremost it'd put 3000 vocal fans right next to the away fans. That'd soon stop any songs about being quiet.
It'd also help keep the atmosphere around the pitch so to speak rather than alot of it lost into the roof space of the big stands thus helping the team more aswell.
Finally it'd help "link" the atmosphere around the stadium better, songs would be more in time etc and more likely to spread throughout the stadium.
Surely there are 12,000 really vocal home United fans, most likely more.

Lazlo Woodbine

A1Dan said:
Asked this in another thread, but, does anybody know anybody who was involved in VFC? Would like to hear how they got on when working with the club on this - whether the club were keen and helpful, or whether they just obstructed them and made it all as hard as possible. Wonder what chance we'd have trying to get any more action taken on it?
Don't know anything about how it was run, but during that period whenever I was up there the atmosphere was excellent, it just didn't translate to making the whole stadium atmosphere any better. If you weren't in West Stand then you'd hardly hear them.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
A1Dan said:

The club were actually very helpful up to the point where they were asked to start moving fans to different areas, then they backed out of it.

United as a club have never been against singing, but logistically its gone too far to alter it now. You'd end up with 60000 ST holders wanting to sit in the Stretford end and thats not going to happen.

The best way forward would be to get in touch with IMUSA and ask them to do what the scousers are doing with the RTK campaign.

The die hards need to start educating the muppets.

londonredmaniac

the thing is thats what its about. if people are going to OT..they need just that..educating.

Not ridiculed or taken the piss out of. teach them what its about

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
londonredmaniac said:
the thing is thats what its about. if people are going to OT..they need just that..educating.

Not ridiculed or taken the piss out of. teach them what its about
Agreed to an extent, but then you get the ones who start with "yeah I'll do what I like so stop being a uber red."

People like that just need a slap.

londonredmaniac

fredthered said:
Agreed to an extent, but then you get the ones who start with "yeah I'll do what I like so stop being a uber red."

People like that just need a slap.
yeah of course, slaps need to be dished out as well as encouragement.

if its a case of people not knowing the songs..fecking do your homework and learn em, its not hard, the intenet is there for a reason, why would you want to go and not sing?

like i said im nothing near an OT reg but the amount of times ive been sitting in the east upper and thought feck it...broken into song and before i know it the whole stand is into it.

One champions league tie i started singing 'we'll never die' the next thing i knew the east and the stretty were belting it out.

great feeling!

ciderman9000000

i sit in the north stand but i'm right up by the stretford-end (just next to the new tier). I'm on the second tier and at the back under the roof. The atmosphere is quality, and most of the goals are scored at that end too.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
londonredmaniac said:
yeah of course, slaps need to be dished out as well as encouragement.

if its a case of people not knowing the songs..fecking do your homework and learn em, its not hard, the intenet is there for a reason, why would you want to go and not sing?

like i said im nothing near an OT reg but the amount of times ive been sitting in the east upper and thought feck it...broken into song and before i know it the whole stand is into it.

One champions league tie i started singing 'we'll never die' the next thing i knew the east and the stretty were belting it out.

great feeling!
Know the feeling.

When Arsenal played us in the Carling cup, Wenger was walking down the touchline after the game, and I stood up and started singing "you're gonna win feck all".

The bloke beside me started joining in, and the bloke beside him, and within a minute it had spread right round the ground.

Ok they did win a cup and we didnt that season, but the look on Wengers face as the whole of OT ripped the feck out of him was worth the entrance money alone.

londonredmaniac

fredthered said:
Know the feeling.

When Arsenal played us in the Carling cup, Wenger was walking down the touchline after the game, and I stood up and started singing "you're gonna win feck all".

The bloke beside me started joining in, and the bloke beside him, and within a minute it had spread right round the ground.

Ok they did win a cup and we didnt that season, but the look on Wengers face as the whole of OT ripped the feck out of him was worth the entrance money alone.
Its that moment 'and i looked back at what i created and saw that it was good'

ciderman9000000

fredthered said:
Know the feeling.

Last time we played arsenal there was a large portion of the crowd calling him a peadophile. That was funny.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
ciderman9000000 said:
Last time we played arsenal there was a large portion of the crowd calling him a peadophile. That was funny.

Thats been going on for years.

"sit down you paedophile"

"the Wenger bus is coming
And all the kids are running
From London to Manchester
He is a child molestor"

"Theres only one Arsene Wenger
Theres only one Arsene Wenger
With a packet of sweets and a cheeky smile
Wenger is a fecking paedophile"

"Oi Wenger, TWAT... Leave them kids alone"

Sir A1ex

londonredmaniac said:
Its that moment 'and i looked back at what i created and saw that it was good'
Nowt better, but equally it's feckin annoying when you belt out a "If you all hate scousers" or "U-N-I..." and nobody joins in, but a few people just turn round and look at you like you're a retard...

Sir A1ex

ciderman9000000 said:
i sit in the north stand but i'm right up by the stretford-end (just next to the new tier). I'm on the second tier and at the back under the roof. The atmosphere is quality, and most of the goals are scored at that end too.
Were you there before this season? Have the new quadrants improved it a lot by opening you up to the Stretty?

Sir A1ex

fredthered said:
United as a club have never been against singing, but logistically its gone too far to alter it now. You'd end up with 60000 ST holders wanting to sit in the Stretford end and thats not going to happen.
True - what's needed is a way of finding out who genuinely will sing! Because one thing's for sure, the majority of 60,000 season ticket holders don't.
If only we could find a way to reverse the culure - report the bloke next to you for not singing, and he gets the boot, swapping his season ticket with somebody from the South Stand!:D

londonredmaniac

A1Dan said:
Nowt better, but equally it's feckin annoying when you belt out a "If you all hate scousers" or "U-N-I..." and nobody joins in, but a few people just turn round and look at you like you're a retard...
annoying yes, but do it long enough and they eventually get the picture your not going to shut up.

just glare at them back, usually does the trick, that or make a face like you gonna twat em ;)

ciderman9000000

A1Dan said:
Were you there before this season? Have the new quadrants improved it a lot by opening you up to the Stretty?
i only got my season ticket this season. last few seasons i've had OneUnited tickets in various parts of the stadium, the new quads are definately an improvement.

Sir A1ex

ciderman9000000 said:
i only got my season ticket this season. last few seasons i've had OneUnited tickets in various parts of the stadium, the new quads are definately an improvement.
Have you got one of these one season tickets they did?