Striker Options

Brightonian

I know this might sound insane, but why not try Bruno as false #9?
Because to paraphrase something Rooney once said, he can't provide the assist and score the goal at the same time. Cavani has shown us that for key players like Bruno and Rashford to do what they do, they need a proper #9 to play off and aim crosses and passes at.

Theo Cherry

Because to paraphrase something Rooney once said, he can't provide the assist and score the goal at the same time. Cavani has shown us that for key players like Bruno and Rashford to do what they do, they need a proper #9 to play off and aim crosses and passes at.
He could kick the ball against the post, and get on the rebound no problem!

It's Bruno Fernandes, the Portuguese Magnifico!

Dante

Average bang
A Firmino type would work well if we're going to persists with two wide strikers (Rashford and Greenwood) drifting inside.

But if we're going to buy a more creative wideman like Sancho or Grealish, then a clinical target man would be better suited. But that'd require purchasing two top players, or else hoping that Greenwood would develop into a CF ahead of schedule.

I honestly don't have much a preference in terms of what I'd like to watch week in week out. The first option is probably lower risk, though. Both financially and also in terms of bedding players into new roles.

Murray3007

A Firmino type would work well if we're going to persists with two wide strikers (Rashford and Greenwood) drifting inside.

But if we're going to buy a more creative wideman like Sancho or Grealish, then a clinical target man would be better suited. But that'd require purchasing two top players, or else hoping that Greenwood would develop into a CF ahead of schedule.

I honestly don't have much a preference in terms of what I'd like to watch week in week out. The first option is probably lower risk, though. Both financially and also in terms of bedding players into new roles.
unless he starts playing CF he will never develop in to a top CF, Dont think Martial or Cavani have set the place on fire up front, its about time Greenwood was giving a shot up front

croadyman

Haaland is easily the best option but winning the race for him will be a huge ask

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
If Pogba goes, and potentially Martial and DDG, I wouldn't be against putting Haaland on the top of our wage bill (400k-ish a week) We have him behind Rahford Bruno and Greenwood, we'll be flying.

croadyman

If Pogba goes, and potentially Martial and DDG, I wouldn't be against putting Haaland on the top of our wage bill (400k-ish a week) We have him behind Rahford Bruno and Greenwood, we'll be flying.
Getting the first two off the wage bill is possible but De Gea looks a step too far unless PSG are interested

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Haaland is the clear option with Isak and Calvin Lewin as alternatives.

devilish

How good is Lautaro Martínez and could he be an option for Us.
He doesn't play as a lone striker at Inter and he had benefitted greatly with Lukaku acting as a battering ram on his behalf

Isak and Haaland would be my favourites. They are tall strikers with an eye for goal and good overall skills

slored1

What about Heung-Min Son? Spurs are shit and his contract only runs for two more years.

devilish

What about Heung-Min Son? Spurs are shit and his contract only runs for two more years.
I think that we need to make a distinction between a main striker and a mezza punta (no 10) ie someone whose job is to exploit the spaces left by the former to score goals. The latter won't cut it in our formation as he'll be expected to lead the line himself.

The likes of Isak, Haaland, Lukaku and Calvin-Lewin are perfect examples of the former. Dybala, Lautaro and Son are perfect examples of the latter.

devilish

The Isak deal seems intriguing. He's got a 70m clause for everyone but a 30m buy back clause for Dortmund. I'd say we offer RS 40m-50m. It's 10m-20m more to what Dortmund will pay to have him back and would still be value for us

Sea-Cow

The Isak deal seems intriguing. He's got a 70m clause for everyone but a 30m buy back clause for Dortmund. I'd say we offer RS 40m-50m. It's 10m-20m more to what Dortmund will pay to have him back and would still be value for us
I have only seen him in the two matches against us, but I could be on board with this. He looks quality and is what we desperately need, an actual out and out lead-the-line striker.

devilish

I have only seen him in the two matches against us, but I could be on board with this. He looks quality and is what we desperately need, an actual out and out lead-the-line striker.
I love the guy. He seems to defy logic really. He's 6ft4 which means the guy significantly taller to the likes of Shearer, Kane, Ruud and RVP. However he's surprisingly quick and technically gifted. That makes the guy perfect to any sort of game. He can become the main striker, a no 10, he can switch places with Greenwood and Rashford and he would be perfect for crosses as well. Considering his age, his versatility and his potential then he'd be a typical Sir Alex's signing.

Sea-Cow

I love the guy. He seems to defy logic really. He's 6ft4 which means the guy significantly taller to the likes of Shearer, Kane, Ruud and RVP. However he's surprisingly quick and technically gifted. That makes the guy perfect to any sort of game. He can become the main striker, a no 10, he can switch places with Greenwood and Rashford and he would be perfect for crosses as well. Considering his age, his versatility and his potential then he'd be a typical Sir Alex's signing.
I'm convinced. Fergie, Sign him up! Fergie Fergie, Sign him up!

tomaldinho1

This is why I think we have to put trust in Greenwood, Martial and give Cavani another year for cover because who is realistic?

Will Mbappe want to come to United, will Haaland, will Martinez at Inter? Martial looked great last season but has fallen off a cliff, Greenwood has such potential I feel like there's no reason he can't be our long term 9 as well.

For me, it's simple. Address the one hole we have had in the team for years, RW. Sancho comes in and you have Rashford/Greenwood/Sancho as a front three and then some more select signings for depth like an RB, DM, CB.

Judas

Open to offers
I can't watch another season of these striking options, it would break my spirit. Hoping against logic that Martial will suddenly become a consistent striker, I just am not capable of that level of positive thinking.

Adcuth

Id be interested in seeing how Patson Daka would do in the prem. Similar scoring record to Haaland at Salzburg. Pacey, great finisher, strong and links up well. Be a lot cheaper than Haaland too

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Anyone seen much of Sekou Koita at Salzburg?

Their scouting system is one of the best, and Salzburg fans on Reddit absolutely rave about Koita. They're unanimous that's he's a far bigger talent than Patson Daka who also plays for them, and also gets a lot of hype.

His numbers are eye-popping. He's averaging a goal every 60 minutes in the Austrian Bundesliga - while playing through an injury - better numbers than Haaland was putting up. Also has elite dribbling and pressing stats.

He's lightning quick, very two footed (although naturally a lefty) and can play in any of the forward positions - mostly played as a striker this season.

Just seems like the model of an exciting, modern forward.

Looks like a klopp system player. I don’t mean that in a bad way, you could see him slotting in their front 3

DSG

Both LVG & Mourinho had won something by this point as managers; Moyes lasted a matter of months.

So yes, factually we are but you know. . . ‘progress’, ‘rebuild’, ‘the plan’ etc.
You’re right. Feck it. Ole out, let’s start over again.

can you please just start supporting Bayern or PSG or Juventus? You don’t have the character to support a team in the EPL...

AFC NimbleThumb

You’re right. Feck it. Ole out, let’s start over again.

can you please just start supporting Bayern or PSG or Juventus? You don’t have the character to support a team in the EPL...
Who said Ole Out, certainly not me.

Both LVG & Mourihno had won something at this point in their United careers, that’s not a controversial opinion but a statement of fact.

Foaming over your keyboard making judgements on a posters character because you can’t comprehend when they make a factual point is hardly a progressive way of conversing.

Reasonable arguments can be made in favour of OgS in contrast to throwing your dummy out; do better.

beingshe7don

I think Calvert-Lewin has progressed pretty well and will only get better. Unfortunately, DCL is probably gonna cost more than Haaland's release clause.

devilish

This is why I think we have to put trust in Greenwood, Martial and give Cavani another year for cover because who is realistic?

Will Mbappe want to come to United, will Haaland, will Martinez at Inter? Martial looked great last season but has fallen off a cliff, Greenwood has such potential I feel like there's no reason he can't be our long term 9 as well.

For me, it's simple. Address the one hole we have had in the team for years, RW. Sancho comes in and you have Rashford/Greenwood/Sancho as a front three and then some more select signings for depth like an RB, DM, CB.

I understand that we operate on a budget. But giving faith to players who are underperforming is why we're in the very situation that we're in now. There need to be consequences for playing shit. Martial had been hitting hot and cold since coming. Should we keep showing patience to his inconsistency? Same with players like Bailly, Jones and Lindelof who are kept in the club despite being shit/injury prone.

Thus we need change. However we also need to be smart about it. Milenkovic is running at his last years of contract. Its time for us to work on that deal NOW so we snap him for a decent fee (30m?). Haaland is a transfer which is too good to pass by. Isak on the other hand should be a plan B we should be working upon now. As said before, Isak's contract is tricky with 30m buy back clause for Dortmund and a 70m minimum clause for the rest. If we offer 40m then Real Sociedad would probably cave in rather then risk losing him to Dortmund for 10m less. If we sell Martial, Pogba, Lingard, Bailly and Dalot then we should be able to afford Sancho with Hakan brought as cover to Bruno.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think Calvert-Lewin has progressed pretty well and will only get better. Unfortunately, DCL is probably gonna cost more than Haaland's release clause.
He was good at the start of the season but I'm not hearing about him recently in the middle/end of the season.

Is he still producing?

I'm not sure he will be worth the price Everton would ask for.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
How did he do at Dortmund? Did he struggle and so why?

devilish

How did he do at Dortmund? Did he struggle and so why?
I don't think he was given much space there as he was loaned to Willem as well. However they did inserted a 30m buy back clause in his deal. So they do rate him

Scholsey2004

I might be inclined to have a try for Patrick Bamford at Leeds. Hes a bit like Sheringham, technically good but quicker. Only downside is his CV is a bit patchy until the last three years or so. Hes obviously worked very hard to get to the top level like Jamie Vardy.

Scholsey2004

He was good at the start of the season but I'm not hearing about him recently in the middle/end of the season.

Is he still producing?

I'm not sure he will be worth the price Everton would ask for.
Id probably write him off for the same reason. Hes good but theyd want £80m and with a bit of a shop around you could find another striker just as good for less. Andre silva for instance you could probably get for half the price.

Zlatans Knee

I would actually take Michail Antonio at this stage. Big, strong, fast, decent technique. I think it is a problem for us that we have no threat in the air when a cross comes in. Of course it doesn't help that we don't have any wide players who can actually cross the ball.

I might be inclined to have a try for Patrick Bamford at Leeds. Hes a bit like Sheringham, technically good but quicker. Only downside is his CV is a bit patchy until the last three years or so. Hes obviously worked very hard to get to the top level like Jamie Vardy.
Would like to see him given a chance at international level.

I think he would be a good squad player, not sure if that would be appealing to him.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I'd much prefer Cavani extends and we focus on the RW if Haaland isn't available to us.

If he's on the market this summer I expect we'd be among the frontrunners for his signature. It means Greenwood is going to be a RW for the majority of his time with us though and I do have a massive sentimentality factor of wanting to see Greenwood become as good as he can be and that will require him playing at 9.

SparkedIntoLife

Does anyone know much about Abdallah Sima? The 19 years old has scored 19 goals in 28 games this season, including 4 in Slavia Prague's impressive Europa League campaign.

mav_9me

Id be interested in seeing how Patson Daka would do in the prem. Similar scoring record to Haaland at Salzburg. Pacey, great finisher, strong and links up well. Be a lot cheaper than Haaland too
Anybody with any thoughts on him?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think hes a potentially good option as well. I think we're more likely to sign someone like him than directly from the Czech or Austrian league.

We've had scouts at Socediad before and it was reported we were watching him. Thought he shows good glimpses of what he could do against us.

devilish

I think hes a potentially good option as well. I think we're more likely to sign someone like him than directly from the Czech or Austrian league.

We've had scouts at Socediad before and it was reported we were watching him. Thought he shows good glimpses of what he could do against us.
Haaland should be our no 1 option but with Raiola and daddy around he's got some serious baggage. Isak is more risky but he doesn't carry half the drama around him