Film Studio Ghibli Films

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I'm going Japan in September and one of the things I'm most looking forward to is the studio Ghibli exhibition.

I've seen a few (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Grave Of The Fireflies etc)

But me and the wife are doing a Ghibli marathon to get more up to speed.

Anyone recommend me some of the best ones and where I can watch them (I live in the UK).

I love Ghibli films,so I'm utterly jealous of you going on this exhibition.:D

I pretty much binged all Ghibli films a few months back. My favourites are Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind,Castle in the Sky,The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (little bamboo) and Princess Mononoke.

You then have the grounded,melodramatic factual based films such as Graves Of The Fireflies and The Wind Rises which,again,are utterly fantastic.

And then you have the gorgeously sweet as sugar films such as Ponyo and My Neighbour Totoro,with the former being one of the nicest,feel good films I've ever seen (the Ponyo after credits song will stick in your head for sometime).

Last edited:

decorativeed

#"Ponyo, Ponyo, Ponyo, fishy in the sea... "#

Another vote for My Neighbour Totoro. Kiki's Delivery Service and Porco Rosso are fun too.

Hammerfell

Friend introduced me to these with Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo. Loved 'em.

Kazi

Princess Mononoke is the most epic

Grave of the Fireflies the most emotional

I really like The Wind Rises as well

AkaAkuma

Ponyo, Totoro and Kiki are perhaps the most loved in Japan as they are hugely popular with children here.

Rooney1987

I watched Grave of the Fireflies for first time few weeks back, it's great but feck me it made me depressed for like a week.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
All of Miyazaki, really. Since you've seen Grave of the Fireflies. I haven't seen Porko Rosso and Ponyo though.

I've just seen Nausicaä and Princess Mononoke on the big screen — a production company bought the rights to all Miyazaki moves and will show them in cinemas :drool:

Princess Mononoke
Howl's Moving Castle
The Wind Rises
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbour Totoro
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I can only find a version filmed from the back of the screening room with the backs of peoples heads blocking a bit of the screen. Good thing though, it's got subs.
Does that have good audio etc, or look like a bad bootleg?

Can't believe how obscure the thing is!

Woodzy

Watched Howl’s Moving Castle for the first time last night.

Looked incredible but what utter nonsense.

Only other Ghibli film I’ve seen is Spirited Away which I enjoyed more.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Good timed bump - finally watched one all the way through in Japanese after a year of on-off learning. Understood around half of it, with Japanese subtitles.

OleBoiii

Watched Howl’s Moving Castle for the first time last night.

Looked incredible but what utter nonsense.

Only other Ghibli film I’ve seen is Spirited Away which I enjoyed more.
Ooof, you went from his best film straight to his second worst film. That's a brutal drop right there :p

I agree completely. Howl is beautifully animated and has an amazing score, but the story is an absolute mess. The only Miyazaki Ghibli fillm that is worse than Howl, is Ponyo. Definitely skip that.

I recommend pretty much every other Miyazaki directed film(apart from Ponyo, obviously). These three in particular: Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke and The Wind Rises.