Summer 2019 Midfield Rebuild

Lee565

Not if they play like they actually care.
Tbf the likes of Fellaini, Mata, Dalot and pereira always looked like they cared when they was on the pitch last season but it didn't stop them getting hammered by fans, when a team is getting tactically outsmarted and outclassed it can easily be perceived like they aren't trying.

witchtrials

The strategy appears to be to prioritise young British players - hence the links to Maguire, Longstaff, Wan Bissaka and the signing of James. It's not a strategy I agree with, but at least they have a plan (unlike every other summer since 2013).
Prioritising young players I can understand. But if we really are prioritising "Buying British" it's an idiotic decision. While our rivals are seeking out the best young players in the world, we'd be restricting ourselves to a tiny (expensive) subsection of that.

Gandalf

Prioritising young players I can understand. But if we really are prioritising "Buying British" it's an idiotic decision. While our rivals are seeking out the best young players in the world, we'd be restricting ourselves to a tiny (expensive) subsection of that.
I don't think the strategy is exclusively to look at British players. Ole does want a British core which United always had under SAF as they are more likely to understand the club and what it stands for. There is also the issue of PL experience as for example Fred, whilst obviously a good player, seems overwhelmed by the pace of the British game. I do think we are in for some overseas players too but we are placing a premium on players who can hit the ground running in the PL even if they are young.

beingshe7don

1. Rabiot is not happening, most likely off to Juve or will remain at PSG
2. Bruno may happen but not sure how much of an influence he would have immediately
3. Tielemens is probably someone we should be getting at all cost since he can play anywhere as a 6, 8 and even a 10. He'll also cost only 40m and he's PL proven. Before even getting Bruno, Tielemens should have been first priority.
4. Ndombele is gonna be worth 65m. We could possibly get him and instead of playing with a single pivot, we could play with two box to box midfielders in a double pivot and No. 10. Ndombele would be good but not sure if he'll end up at United. City seem to have wrapped up Rodri, so they are out of the race. However, I can see PSG coming in especially if Juve get Rabiot. Spurs are also linked heavily and could end up there. Juve would be getting Ramsey and Rabiot for absolutely nothing. We are struggling to get players and Juve are recruiting quality players for free.
5. Lo Celso.... we've been linked to him but I just hope he goes to Spurs, thereby removing any competition we may face for Ndombele.
6. Longstaff.... The last midfielder I would like us to sign.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
2. Bruno may happen but not sure how much of an influence he would have immediately
3. Tielemens is probably someone we should be getting at all cost since he can play anywhere as a 6, 8 and even a 10. He'll also cost only 40m and he's PL proven. Before even getting Bruno, Tielemens should have been first priority.
4. Ndombele is gonna be worth 65m. We could possibly get him and instead of playing with a single pivot, we could play with two box to box midfielders in a double pivot and No. 10. Ndombele would be good but not sure if he'll end up at United. City seem to have wrapped up Rodri, so they are out of the race. However, I can see PSG coming in especially if Juve get Rabiot. Spurs are also linked heavily and could end up there. Juve would be getting Ramsey and Rabiot for absolutely nothing. We are struggling to get players and Juve are recruiting quality players for free.
5. Lo Celso.... we've been linked to him but I just hope he goes to Spurs, thereby removing any competition we may face for Ndombele.
Longstaff could potentially turn out to be the best.

DevilAgeIdiot

I don't think the strategy is exclusively to look at British players. Ole does want a British core which United always had under SAF as they are more likely to understand the club and what it stands for. There is also the issue of PL experience as for example Fred, whilst obviously a good player, seems overwhelmed by the pace of the British game. I do think we are in for some overseas players too but we are placing a premium on players who can hit the ground running in the PL even if they are young.
This is bullshit marketing mythology.
We need to buy the best young talent in the world if we are to compete again.
This idea that British players will somehow get the club is pure prejudiced fantasy.
If Olé really believes in this PR spin bullshit then we are absolutely fecked.

Enigma_87

You know who
This is bullshit marketing mythology.
We need to buy the best young talent in the world if we are to compete again.
This idea that British players will somehow get the club is pure prejudiced fantasy.
If Olé really believes in this PR spin bullshit then we are absolutely fecked.
Aye. I'm beginning to hate that PR spin with "pashun".

Kaglish10

My choice still remains Van de Beek, Ceballos and a no 6 (Tonali/Longstaff). Preferably Tonali if we can pull it off. All mobile energetic talented midfielders with lots of passion, steel and don't slack in the defensive department.

Enigma_87

You know who
My choice still remains Van de Beek, Ceballos and a no 6 (Tonali/Longstaff). Preferably Tonali if we can pull it off. All mobile energetic talented midfielders with lots of passion and steel.
We're almost July and not close to even sign one midfielder let alone three.

IMO Pogba is staying and we will be signing one new to replace Herrera. 2 tops(another one for Matic replacement), but I just can't see us signing 3..

Kaglish10

IMO Pogba is staying and we will be signing one new to replace Herrera. 2 tops(another one for Matic replacement), but I just can't see us signing 3..
If Ceballos is to be part of the makeshift price for Pogba. I won't mind. All of these players are affordable and would be a steal at the price.

FerociousCorgis

What's with the fascination of British core and United ideals? Not like the British core was to be found in city or liverpool as they won actual shit this past season. Stop living like it is 1999 and get with the times

Patrick08

What's with the fascination of British core and United ideals? Not like the British core was to be found in city or liverpool as they won actual shit this past season. Stop living like it is 1999 and get with the times
Because it's cheap and our penny pinching owners won't spend to have a decent functional squad.

Kaglish10

James 15 m, long staff 30 max.
James was a championship player. If he wasn't British, he wouldn't cost that much. Longstaff hasn't been signed by us. I doubt a club who slapped huge amount on Andy Carroll would sell longstaff for a cheap price unless something is wrong with Longstaff's knee.

beingshe7don

Longstaff could potentially turn out to be the best.
I highly doubt it that he would be better than all of the players that I mentioned. Tielemens is a year older than Longstaff and is a much better player than him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I highly doubt it that he would be better than all of the players that I mentioned. Tielemens is a year older than Longstaff and is a much better player than him.
'Much better player' only due to hype and perception. Longstaff from what I've seen is the better allround player who can play the deeper role in midfield as the #6 and also plays the #8 position to a very good level. Technically there's nothing between them. 'Absolutely nothing'

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Perfectly put.

If Pogba stays, we might get Tielemans or Gueye or Partey and Longstaff.

If Pogba leaves, it could be Ndombele or Le Colso , Tielemans and Longstaff.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
'Much better player' only due to hype and perception. Longstaff from what I've seen is the better allround player who can play the deeper role in midfield as the #6 and also plays the #8 position to a very good level. Technically there's nothing between them. 'Absolutely nothing'
Agree , would be a smart buy at 30m. Matic is still the first choice for us which gives him time to settle down.

Fergies Formula

We aren’t getting any of them and as fans we have been kidding ourselves.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we lose Pogba and sign no one.

Axle17

Before the transfer windows opened, I was very optimistic of somewhat of a rebuild, but I've now lost all hope.
We are aware of our weaknesses, so why does it take so long to sort them out!?

Or has Ole settled with the rubbish that we have?

So disappointing

Dante

Average bang
Leicester won't sell Maddison if we bid for Tielemans. Therefore, we'd only ever get one or the other (at best).

If you had to choose... ?

DarkRed

How about Rodrigo Bentancur of Juventus? I mean in case we need to trade up Pogba

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Before the transfer windows opened, I was very optimistic of somewhat of a rebuild, but I've now lost all hope.

So disappointing
It is "Only" June 21st and all that, but you'd have to be one heck of a cool customer not to worry about how our team is shaping up.

Just from a conservative estimate we massively need a centre midfielder and wide right attacker on top of Wan Bissaka.

And then we could really do with a top centre back, plus Pogba's replacement, or even someone to phase Matic out of the lineup.
I dare say we'll have to field McTom a lot next year.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Leicester won't sell Maddison if we bid for Tielemans. Therefore, we'd only ever get one or the other (at best).

If you had to choose... ?
Sign Maddison first, sign Tielemans after Maddison is agreed? Tielemans plays for Monaco, it's not impossible...
To answer the question though, Tielemans. Maddison is good but ultimately a #10, we need to sort out the controlling and defensive mids first IMO.

Affirmation

Considering the situation at Arsenal, the lack of funds available to spend on improving the squad and our need for a Defensive Midfielder it might be worth bidding for Lucas Torreira. I see him as a player who is of course still developing while also still fully adapting to the League but does indeed have the abilities and the "shithousery" attitude we lack in many key areas of the team.

Last edited:

ArjenIsM3

So disappointing
Why would you bring Ole into this? He's already said he wanted about 4 new players and he wants it done before pre-season. Woodward is failing to deliver.

Axle17

Why would you bring Ole into this? He's already said he wanted about 4 new players and he wants it done before pre-season. Woodward is failing to deliver.
Sorry but as a supporter I'm not convinced that Woody is 100% at fault. Ole realised towards the end of the season that the team needed a big change and yet we retain the same back line and re-sign Juan Mata.
You tell me if Ole is as convincing as he makes out to be.

Bestietom

Did Ole not say he wanted 2 midfielders, and this before Pogba came out with bombshell that he wanted out.

fps

I've been on the fence about the whole thing, but I have to say, this talk of Pogba leaving just gives me an enormous, completely unforced lift. I'd love for him to go, he's a total pain and doesn't deliver enough to justify it.

Enigma_87

You know who
Did Ole not say he wanted 2 midfielders, and this before Pogba came out with bombshell that he wanted out.
Yeah, but not too sure we will have the funds for it really.

AWB, James would probably take it to 80m. We need CB and RW desperately. If we sell Alumake a CF as well. Not too sure if we will get even second midfielder tbh.

Patrick08

Yeah, but not too sure we will have the funds for it really.

AWB, James would probably take it to 80m. We need CB and RW desperately. If we sell Alumake a CF as well. Not too sure if we will get even second midfielder tbh.
Forget right wing, its going to be james. We actually need 3 midfield players and that's where the money should be spent.

Worryingly as always we just look absolutely clueless in the market till now about where the pressing need lie and how to get the best out of pogba by having top midfielders around him to let him play a free role just like those 10 games.

Fosu-Mens

Considering the situation at Arsenal, the lack of funds available to spend on improving the squad and our need for a Defensive Midfielder it might be worth bidding for Lucas Torreira. I see him as a player who is of course still developing while also still fully adapting to the League but does indeed have the abilities and the "shithousery" attitude we lack in many key areas of the team.
Could have signed him for £23m last summer, but hey, better to spend £50m on Fred. Not that anyone one here raised this possibility.

No point, he’s already come out and said he prefers Italy. I don’t think he likes England very much, if he leaves Arsenal he’ll go back there.

flappyjay

Sorry but as a supporter I'm not convinced that Woody is 100% at fault. Ole realised towards the end of the season that the team needed a big change and yet we retain the same back line and re-sign Juan Mata.
You tell me if Ole is as convincing as he makes out to be.
"I am going to be successful here and some of these players will not be part of that successful team" looks it it was all talk, can't wait till we renew Matic next year:drool:

Hughie77

1 we may get? The poor transfer dithering by Woodward has been evident for years? Can't see Pogba going unless there's a Massive offer?
That's going to drag on till August?

Clubs are waiting to see who we get in at CM to get Pogba on a better deal. And were waiting for a Massive offer to get others in? Stalemate.

Paul778

Noone coming in. Just as concerning noone going out.

Two prospects won't cut it. Let the dirge continue.

Axle17

"I am going to be successful here and some of these players will not be part of that successful team" looks it it was all talk, can't wait till we renew Matic next year:drool:
Oh don't be silly, priority is to extend Lee Grants contract.. Because you know..having his experience might just keep us from relegation!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
IMO Gomes should be included in part of the midfield rebuild plan. He’s going to be 19 in 2 months & we needs to give him large number of playing time if we are being serious of developing youth.

4312:

-——-—- new no. 6 ———-—
—- new no. 8 — Gomes —-
————--- Pogba ——--——

433:

New no. 8 - new no.6 - Pogba

Matic’s replacement: Partey - £43m (clause)
Herrera’s replacement: Tielemans - £40m (available cheap in the market and our competition is Leicester)