Summer clear out

iKeano

definitely - until next summer at least

how deflated will we all feel when Fellaini lines up in a number 10 role in the first big game
Very. It's been refreshing not having to endure watching him lumber around a pitch masquerading as a profressional footballer since the season ended. Praying for a signing or two to banish him once and for all.
Surley Moyes is lonely and could just pay the tall one a wage just to do high-level household chores around Moyes Manor? Changing lightbulbs, checking smoke alarms, painting ceilings...

Nori-

Players I would move on this summer;

Fellaini - A dark cloud hanging over Man Utd. Needs to go ASAP (20m)
Januzaj - Has the wrong attitude. Thinks he is better than he actually is (10m)
Darmian - Not particularly great at attacking or defending. Much better options out there (15m)
Jones - Too inconsistent. Always getting injured (20m)
Young - Past his best (5m)
Rooney - Way past his best. Has been fleecing the club with his wages for at least 2 years now (Free)
Rojo - Was decent last year but in my opinion we have better options than him. Can also be very inconsistent (15m)

That's about £80-85m. Use that to buy a world class striker (not Morata). Then spend what we were planning to spend anyway (about £160m) on four good players (about £40m each) and I think we have a team good enough to challenge for not only the Premiership but the Champions league too

A few other players like Lingard, Smalling and Blind haven't been great but are good squad options. I'd keep them.

Last edited:

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
If the obvious players like Rooney, One of Jones or Smalling leaves then we will have 23 players including 4 new signings or at max 24.
With 3 new signings (Lindelöf's in) we'd have 26+3. So at least 3 (Fosu-Mensah, Smalling, Rooney, for instance) would have to leave to make the already exceeding number of 23. Nothing tells us that Mourinho won't be looking to trim down that number further. And this is supposing none of the youngster will make the first squad.

buckooo1978

thing about Fellaini is that he suits Mourinho's negative style - I felt Griezeman as a second striker might slightly change the approach in the big games and would allow us to support our number 9 better

if we only sign players like Perisic or Morata I'm not sure we will see a change in our approach in the big games which will be disappointing unless we are able to create a decent counter attacking team

I'm not getting my hopes up for next year unless we see something significant happening

if we signed someone of Bale's quality and if Mourinho managed to create an attack that got the best out of Rashford/Martial/Mhiki/Morata then we will push for the league- hard to see us taking too many points in the 10 big games vrs Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal/City/Spurs with a cowardly negative approach

Pavl3n

Darmian - Not particularly great at attacking or defending. Much better options out there (15m)
Rooney - Way past his best. Has been fleecing the club with his wages for at least 2 years now (Free)
Rojo - Was decent last year but in my opinion we have better options than him. Can also be very inconsistent (15m)

That's about £80-85m. Use that to buy a world class striker (not Morata). Then spend what we were planning to spend anyway (about £160m) on four good players (about £40m each) and I think we have a team good enough to challenge for not only the Premiership but the Champions league too

A few other players like Lingard, Smalling and Blind haven't been great but are good squad options. I'd keep them.
I would keep Rojo. He's been rock solid this season - credit to Mourinho. And even if we were to sell him, he could easily go for £25-£30+.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
With 3 new signings (Lindelöf's in) we'd have 26+3. So at least 3 (Fosu-Mensah, Smalling, Rooney, for instance) would have to leave to make the already exceeding number of 23. Nothing tells us that Mourinho won't be looking to trim down that number further. And this is supposing none of the youngster will make the first squad.
23? Did you include players like Januzaj, Varela? I excluded them.

Android1974

Oh that's why the difference. I excluded them.
Tuanzebe was part of the squad since January, if he's not part of the next squad due to a loan/sell, one would have to consider it an individual clear out.

Regarding Pereira I also have my doubts, but most people here believe he's returning for good and that we're going 4-3-3 and we are lacking midfielders for that. Contrary to Januzaj or Varela, he'll probably be going to LA summer camp.

Donut

Knowing how average he was for Sunderland in his preferred position with a manager who who believed in him, do you still think he'd be an upgrade on Mkhi or Martial
You misunderstood. I'm trying to say that Martial and Mikhi are basically our only creative forwards, and that's not enough. Mata, Lingard, Rooney, & Rashford won't create anything. As bad as Januzaj might be, he IS a very creative player. So if we aren't adding another creative player I'd keep him.

Android1974

It would be nice to see some youngsters going to the USA tour too, like Olosunde, Mitchell, Willock and Angel Gomes, although the two fullbacks have too much of an excess of players ahead of them to have a chance.

drmuji

You misunderstood. I'm trying to say that Martial and Mikhi are basically our only creative forwards, and that's not enough. Mata, Lingard, Rooney, & Rashford won't create anything. As bad as Januzaj might be, he IS a very creative player. So if we aren't adding another creative player I'd keep him.
Ohhh ok. My Bad. I am sorry, I misunderstood

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States

Chances are our budget for spending already factors in any sales.

Rake

80 million won't get us a world-class striker unless there is a release clause in his contract. In just 2-3 years we saw the transfer market go bonkers.

Just take a look at this page and tell me which top player is attainable? Maybe Alexis (who isn't a striker) and Aubameyang.

Android1974

Januzaj is more creative than Mata? :houllier:

Mark Pawelek

... I'm trying to say that Martial and Mikhi are basically our only creative forwards, and that's not enough. Mata, Lingard, Rooney, & Rashford won't create anything. As bad as Januzaj might be, he IS a very creative player. So if we aren't adding another creative player I'd keep him.
Arguably, Mata is as creative as Martial and Mkhi. Martial was top (united player) for assists but not for chances created.

United League games (2016-17). Goals, Assists, Chances created per 90 minutes, per player. With stats added for players MUFC were linked with. Sorted by Chances created per 90 minutes.

Revan

Assumptionman
From the ones mentioned i would:

Definitely keep: Smalling, Fellaini, Young, Lingard, Martial, Shaw and Blind
Definitely get rid of: Jones, Darmian, Rooney
I see no reason why we should sell Darmian. He is pretty decent at defending (although he sucks when it comes to attacking) and can play anywhere in defense. He also doesn't get much injured. We will keep him.

Agree that Jones and Rooney needs to go. I think that it is time for Young to go to. Last chance for Smalling and Shaw. Blind, Lingard and Fellaini played well last season, so they can do a job as squad players, while Martial is extremely talented and one bad season doesn't mean that we should sell him.

Really, it is just Rooney, Jones, Young and Januzaj who should leave. Fellaini just in case we sign more than one midfielder (or we trust Pereira to be an important player).

C'est Moi Cantona

Not sure we'll sell any of the CB's now if it's true we wanted Keane as well as Lindelof, reckon the only nailed on major outgoings are Januzaj, Young, & Rooney.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I don't think anyone even wants about one-third of the players in our squad.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
if we signed someone of Bale's quality and if Mourinho managed to create an attack that got the best out of Rashford/Martial/Mhiki/Morata then we will push for the league- hard to see us taking too many points in the 10 big games vrs Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal/City/Spurs with a cowardly negative approach
We haven't signed Bale and probablyl won't.
We haven't signed Morata.
And Rashford/Martial/Miki didn't score many goals in the league last season.

With the attack we currently have, we need to take a cowardly approach because our team just isn't good enough, especially when you consider that our most prolific attacker and our best defender (Rojo) are both injured.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Not sure we'll sell any of the CB's now if it's true we wanted Keane as well as Lindelof, reckon the only nailed on major outgoings are Januzaj, Young, & Rooney.
As of now, I think that Young and Rooney will both be staying.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
As things stand, we can't afford to lose anyone.

buckooo1978

We haven't signed Bale and probablyl won't.
We haven't signed Morata.
And Rashford/Martial/Miki didn't score many goals in the league last season.

With the attack we currently have, we need to take a cowardly approach because our team just isn't good enough, especially when you consider that our most prolific attacker and our best defender (Rojo) are both injured.
yes that's why I said if - it's a hypothetical look at what could happen

el3mel

We'll only lose 2 players of the current squad max this summer.