Summer Transfer Window

FerociousCorgis

I don't think we're looking at signing a CB anymore. Mount, Onana and a Striker would be our main signings this summer and I don't know if that's enough to close the gap. I was hoping we'd have a competition for Cas and a CB as well. Also I believe we need 2 strikers not just one. Wouldn't be surprised to see us looking at loan market again.
Just ridic to me we can't find a way to get rid of maguire/bailey/telles/williams and use that money to find an up and coming young option that we can groom for varane spot. With the latter 3 just get literally any offer and for maguire we need to be ruthless and tell him you are not"competing for a spot" here. You can collect your paycheck helping reserves and lose your spot probably in England squad. Dude just does not, and cannot, play how eth wants. He just mentally doesn't have it and just watching him you see how much a liability he is

Mr Smith

You can sign a full ex United starting 11 on free transfers in this window.
De Gea
Phil Jones, Tuanzebe, Bernard
Lingard Herrera Schneiderlin Mata
Alexis Sanchez, Igalgho, Zaha
That's a horrifying indictment on our past recruitment.

Having said that, it does look like we're close to selling some actual players for decent money; Elanga has several potential buyers and could go for 10-15mil, Fred looks certain to leave, and Telles has interest from the Saudi's. If we sell those three for a combined 30mil or so, I'd say that's decent business.

johnnyteutonic

i'd say so far our summer window has been a massive bust
I was honestly optimistic for this window but it looks right now like it could be an absolute disaster with the potential for these things to happen:

- Glazers stay with minority investment (or not even that).
- Maguire doesn't leave and we don't get in a new CB (looks very likely)
- Rashford doesn't sign a new contract and we have to sell him (unlikely but possible). If Mbappe goes to Madrid, PSG will likely want him and offer him a mega-salary, plus he may feel United no longer match his ambition.
- Inter pull out of the Onana deal because of the Lukaku situation (unlikely but certainly possible). We are then left with playing Kovar or Heaton or an unhappy Henderson (as Forest are now picking up interest in Jose Sa).
- We fail to pick up a decent striker (seems very likely right now).
Can you imagine a worse possible start to a season in living memory?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I was honestly optimistic for this window but it looks right now like it could be an absolute disaster with the potential for these things to happen:

- Rashford doesn't sign a new contract and we have to sell him (unlikely but possible). If Mbappe goes to Madrid, PSG will likely want him and offer him a mega-salary, plus he may feel United no longer match his ambition.
- Inter pull out of the Onana deal because of the Lukaku situation (unlikely but certainly possible). We are then left with playing Kovar or Heaton or an unhappy Henderson (as Forest are now picking up interest in Jose Sa).
At worst I think we are still going to get Suzuki as our new keeper. And if we failed to bring in any of our target forward, I think we are still going to get someone cheap (Taremi for 20m), and we might as well slowly introduced Mason back to the squad.

Suzuki
AWB Varane Martinez Shaw
Casemiro
Bruno Mount
Antony Rashford Garnacho

Heaton/Kovar
Dalot Lindelof Maguire Malacia
Mctominay Fred
Diallo Erikson Sancho
Martial/Taremi/Mason

Backup youngster: Mainoo, Mejbri, Hansen-Aaroen, Fernandez, Emeran​

CM

Yep, the apocalypse may be coming and we might not wake up tomorrow either.

Withnail

That's a horrifying indictment on our past recruitment.

Having said that, it does look like we're close to selling some actual players for decent money; Elanga has several potential buyers and could go for 10-15mil, Fred looks certain to leave, and Telles has interest from the Saudi's. If we sell those three for a combined 30mil or so, I'd say that's decent business.
How is it an indictment of anything when most have left the club some time ago?

NLunited

Given that we are not even halfway through yet, it is going ok. We have a key reinforcement and are about to sign another.

The striker market sucks, but we will definitely sign a striker as well later on.

FerociousCorgis

At worst I think we are still going to get Suzuki as our new keeper. And if we failed to bring in any of our target forward, I think we are still going to get someone cheap (Taremi for 20m), and we might as well slowly introduced Mason back to the squad.

Suzuki
AWB Varane Martinez Shaw
Casemiro
Bruno Mount
Antony Rashford Garnacho

Heaton/Kovar
Mctominay Fred
Diallo Erikson Sancho
Martial/Taremi/Mason

That backup group is a disaster. How many years do we need to know mcfred will not work 99 percent of the time? Lindelof finally looked good once we removed the trash that was maguire. I love martial in his prime but that dude is fecking glass and Mason hasn't played in forever, and would be a HUGE ask to expect him to regain form here while also managing the backlash as a young player still. Erikson to me looked like a shell after dumbass Carroll tried his best to literally destroy his body. As of now this squad that eth had to drag across the finish line doesn't look all that much better suited to a long, grueling season.

johnnyteutonic

Suzuki
AWB Varane Martinez Shaw
Casemiro
Bruno Mount
Antony Rashford Garnacho

Heaton/Kovar
Mctominay Fred
Diallo Erikson Sancho
Martial/Taremi/Mason

Suzuki hasn't even nailed himself down as first-choice for Urawa Reds and has a total of 8 first-team appearances for them.
I am sure he is a talented lad but becoming our first-choice keeper after 8 first-team appearances in the J-League would be an absolute disaster.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
That backup group is a disaster. How many years do we need to know mcfred will not work 99 percent of the time? Lindelof finally looked good once we removed the trash that was maguire. I love martial in his prime but that dude is fecking glass and Mason hasn't played in forever, and would be a HUGE ask to expect him to regain form here while also managing the backlash as a young player still. Erikson to me looked like a shell after dumbass Carroll tried his best to literally destroy his body. As of now this squad that eth had to drag across the finish line doesn't look all that much better suited to a long, grueling season.
I get what you mean. But we have Casemiro Bruno Mount was our first choice midfield pair, whereas McFred Erikson are only there as "short term" backup option as they have much needed PL experience for now at the very least. We have some talented youngster like Mainoo Mejbri Hansen-Aaroen lining up for future too. That's 9 players for midfield 3.

Plg91

I get what you mean. But we have Casemiro Bruno Mount was our first choice midfield pair, whereas McFred Erikson are only there as "short term" backup option as they have much needed PL experience for now at the very least. We have some talented youngster like Mainoo Mejbri Hansen-Aaroen lining up for future too. That's 9 players for midfield 3.
No love for my brother de Beek?

LordSpud

Seems like they are staying tbh. Also nice of them to put it out there that we've got loads of money so that clubs can fleece us.

Last edited:

CM

Make it make sense.
I went and read the article because I was convinced this account had messed up the tweet. It reads in exactly the same way, bizarre.

ThanksBoss26

The logic contained in this post is quite something
I went and read the article because I was convinced this account had messed up the tweet. It reads in exactly the same way, bizarre.
Can’t make sense of what he’s writing either - complete nonsense. And unless we’re lucky with a bid from Saudi, I imagine we’ll accept pretty much anything to shift Telles.

glasgow 21

Seems like they are staying tbh. Also nice of them to put it out there that we've got loads of money so that clubs can fleece us.
The Glazers are that slow to release and act on information generally I wouldn't be surprised if this release is dated July 2022.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am delighted with both Mount and Onana. They will be massive upgrades. BUT, my
problem with this window is that we still didn't do a single priority stuff. Priorities were top class striker and finally have good window regarding selling players.
As things are, we will end up without top class striker (Hojlund is not that at the moment) and what to say about sales? It is laughable stuff.

Salfordlad70

I am delighted with both Mount and Onana. They will be massive upgrades. BUT, my
problem with this window is that we still didn't do a single priority stuff. Priorities were top class striker and finally have good window regarding selling players.
As things are, we will end up without top class striker (Hojlund is not that at the moment) and what to say about sales? It is laughable stuff.
Why to the Saudi’s have such a deep aversion to our deadwood? It might be our only option along with WHU to ship out the rubbish we’ve accumulated over recent years.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Why to the Saudi’s have such a deep aversion to our deadwood? It might be our only option along with WHU to ship out the rubbish we’ve accumulated over recent years.
I think that people have wrong perception about selling players. Selling players doesn't work in a way that you just wait for offers. You must advertise your players and push them (their agents) to find a club. Our boy Murtough (obviously) doesn't do that.
Also, as i mentioned many times, we are simply not ruthless. We don't push players out. It is not coincidence that rumours around most of our deadwood is that they will "fight for their place". So in other words, Erik didn't told them "you are not in my plans at all".

Chelsea players that left were on bigger wages than our players who we want to sell. So wage excuse is BS.

Salfordlad70

I think that people have wrong perception about selling players. Selling players doesn't work in a way that you just wait for offers. You must advertise your players and push them (their agents) to find a club. Our boy Murtough (obviously) doesn't do that.
Also, as i mentioned many times, we are simply not ruthless. We don't push players out. It is not coincidence that rumours around most of our deadwood is that they will "fight for their place". So in other words, Erik didn't told them "you are not in my plans at all".

Chelsea players that left were on bigger wages than our players who we want to sell. So wage excuse is BS.
I agree with you. I was just mourning the fact that Chelsea and Liverpool have found homes for their fringe players and bought shiny new ones

Maguire and others need to know that their careers with United are over and the agents need to be told this as well. It’s not that easy I know, but the whole culture at the club needs to change. It is slowly improving under ETH, but at the very top level we’re so poorly run. That will only change with new ownership. It’s so frustrating.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I agree with you. I was just mourning the fact that Chelsea and Liverpool have found homes for their fringe players and bought shiny new ones

Maguire and others need to know that their careers with United are over and the agents need to be told this as well. It’s not that easy I know, but the whole culture at the club needs to change. It is slowly improving under ETH, but at the very top level we’re so poorly run. That will only change with new ownership. It’s so frustrating.
Last season showed that Erik wants to have big squad. So he looks at himself first there (which is normal because his job is on line). He will rather keep expensive deadwood as backups than letting them go and having shorter squad. That is where DoF should jump in and say; "Sorry coach but we can't do that. We can't afford it".
80 mil defender on 200k wage can't be kept as 5th option. Midfielders (Donny and McT) who had solid market value, can't be kept for League cups game only.
Same goes for youngsters.Don't wait for them to fail. Sell all those for whom you don't think that have future here and keep just best in class. We lost millions on Tuanzebe and Williams just because we didn't sell them on time.

Redstain

It's a poor window even with the above mentioned individuals. Poor window as you highlighted isn't reflective of buying rubbish players, it's reflective of not addressing weaknesses. The most problematic area last season was not just the striker alone but the entire attack. The only notable player last year was Rashford. The wide areas were abysmal throughout the majority of the season offered no threat whatsoever.

Now Garnacho was a revelation but still he needs time to develop into a regular. On the premise of this window it leaves questions for what the clubs direction is in all honesty. Some are saying in the expectations thread that a top four finish would be ideal but if the team had the same ambition as last year inevitably they will fall further behind due to rivals strengthening, therefore the club has to be more ambitious.

I also don't think finances are the issue but rather identification of the said players. Last year in the last 5 games of the season if someone said the team would target Mount, Hojland and Onana on the basis of what was shown throughout the season the only reaction I could imagine is disappointment. It's not a terrible window but one I feel where United just make a sidestep as opposed to actual progression.

justsomebloke

It's a poor window even with the above mentioned individuals. Poor window as you highlighted isn't reflective of buying rubbish players, it's reflective of not addressing weaknesses. The most problematic area last season was not just the striker alone but the entire attack. The only notable player last year was Rashford. The wide areas were abysmal throughout the majority of the season offered no threat whatsoever.

Now Garnacho was a revelation but still he needs time to develop into a regular. On the premise of this window it leaves questions for what the clubs direction is in all honesty. Some are saying in the expectations thread that a top four finish would be ideal but if the team had the same ambition as last year inevitably they will fall further behind due to rivals strengthening, therefore the club has to be more ambitious.

I also don't think finances are the issue but rather identification of the said players. Last year in the last 5 games of the season if someone said the team would target Mount, Hojland and Onana on the basis of what was shown throughout the season the only reaction I could imagine is disappointment. It's not a terrible window but one I feel where United just make a sidestep as opposed to actual progression.
Given the decision to cut De Gea loose, it's hard not to see GK as a priority? Indeed, you could even call it a necessity. An upgrade at #8 has been spoken about as a top priority for a good while too, and for good reason. We clearly still need to get a striker in, but that does appear to be the intention. If they can do that, then I think this is a window that gives cause to hope we'll take further steps.

That said, we're still a good way off being a bona fide title challenger. And we need to get moving with those sales. At least there seems to be real interest in Telles, Maguire, Elanga, Henderson and Fred.

Silverman

Despite his ban, I still think Ivan Toney would be a great signing. The ban should really bring down the price too.

Andersons Dietician

I get what you’re saying as those three don’t really seem like a leap forward but given ffp issues think we have to settle that this window is about solidifying our station with a view to hopefully take a larger step forward next season.

The window has surely been hampered by the takeover but they Mount is a solid addition where as a new GK became a priority with DeGea leaving. I’m not sure that was what we had planned.

Anyway, just got to look at it as one more building block added to the foundations.

redmanx

Given that we are not even halfway through yet, it is going ok. We have a key reinforcement and are about to sign another.

The striker market sucks, but we will definitely sign a striker as well later on.
The middle of July and weve only bought one player so far, Mason Mount. The Glazers lack of a decision over the sale of the club is probably making some players think twice about moving here and making things extremely hard for ETH. Personally I dont think the Glazers have any intention of sellin and this was simply about boosting the share price. The sooner these fxxxing blood sucking parasites have gone the better!

NLunited

The middle of July and weve only bought one player so far, Mason Mount. The Glazers lack of a decision over the sale of the club is probably making some players think twice about moving here and making things extremely hard for ETH. Personally I dont think the Glazers have any intention of sellin and this was simply about boosting the share price. The sooner these fxxxing blood sucking parasites have gone the better!
Onana is as good as done mate. We still have six weeks to go.

ErikElevenHag

Everyone would love a top class striker, but who are they?

Kane looks to be virtually impossible and osimhen is way out of our price budget as he's at an ambitious club who have no need to sell unless the price is right.

Outside of those 2 who is a realistic and available striker? The likes of ramos, muani, hojlund, etc are all gambles and some of them expensive gambles at that.

The CF market is dry at the minute, we either go all out for kane or hope we pick the right gamble.

justsomebloke

Amen to last sentence, but two major pieces in place (counting Onana) by mid-July isn't bad. If I'm annoyed about something, it's more that we haven't been more active on the selling front. The ongoing mess of the sale probably has an impact, but I think there's a sense of systematic progression from management, which is a first for a while.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Everyone would love a top class striker, but who are they?

Kane looks to be virtually impossible and osimhen is way out of our price budget as he's at an ambitious club who have no need to sell unless the price is right.

Outside of those 2 who is a realistic and available striker? The likes of ramos, muani, hojlund, etc are all gambles and some of them expensive gambles at that.

The CF market is dry at the minute, we either go all out for kane or hope we pick the right gamble.
Striker market is not dry. That is a myth which we always repeat when we search for certain position. It was dry for right backs, it was dry for no6, it was dry for no8, it was dry for right wingers. People look at strikers, mention 3 or 4 obvious ones and say; "who else"?
City signed Alvarez when barely nobody knew who he is. Milan, Chelsea and Barca bought this summer strikers who are fairly unknown. Average football fan never heard for Ramos before World cup or Ninez before him. Same goes for Taremi and Hojlund this summer. When we were linked to them, lots of fans said; "Who"?

I stand behind what i said; Hojlund is (will be) good addition if his price will be reasonable but Kane or Osimhen should be priority. If they are 100 % out reach then sign Hojlund, Muani or some other talented striker.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Onana and Mount are two very good upgrades and will make us a better team. Now let's get a striker.

Last edited by a moderator:

ErikElevenHag

Striker market is not dry. That is a myth which we always repeat when we search for certain position. It was dry for right backs, it was dry for no6, it was dry for no8, it was dry for right wingers. People look at strikers, mention 3 or 4 obvious ones and say; "who else"?
City signed Alvarez when barely nobody knew who he is. Milan, Chelsea and Barca bought this summer strikers who are fairly unknown. Average football fan never heard for Ramos before World cup or Ninez before him. Same goes for Taremi and Hojlund this summer. When we were linked to them, lots of fans said; "Who"?

I stand behind what i said; Hojlund is (will be) good addition if his price will be reasonable but Kane or Osimhen should be priority. If they are 100 % out reach then sign Hojlund, Muani or some other talented striker.
And yet you haven't mentioned a single top class striker in your post.

Alvarez isn't top class, he scored 9 league goals for a team that raheem sterling broke double figures in every year.

I've clearly said there are other strikers available. But you've said you want a top class striker, there aren't any available. The market is dry for a ready to go goalscorer, what's available are high potential gambles who we have to hope pay off.

redmanx

Amen to last sentence, but two major pieces in place (counting Onana) by mid-July isn't bad. If I'm annoyed about something, it's more that we haven't been more active on the selling front. The ongoing mess of the sale probably has an impact, but I think there's a sense of systematic progression from management, which is a first for a while.
Things are undoubtedly better all round, but thees still a lot of room for improvement, especially in the Board Room!

Abraxas

I think the key to this window is to get Hojlund over the line. That's paramount and could make or break our window. I don't really want to see a compromise in the striker position. It has to be him or someone comparable. This signing will be absolutely key this season with Martial being unreliable and not really wanting to move Rashford about all the time.

If we can then get some kind of solid, experienced midfield cover for Casemiro, that can maybe also play with Casemiro too then I think we've had a solid window. Amrabat is obviously a name.

Mount wouldn't have been my choice but if we're alighting upon this two 8s idea then I understand it. It's solid as a signing if not thrilling. If we can get these others over the line while clearing a few out that are surplus to requirements I think we'd be able to say we've definitively improved right through the spine of our team. Of course it leaves a few little question mark areas like right back but nothing too bad.

Lights Out

Concerned with what others are doing. Liverpool & Arsenal have done good business and we are yet to address our biggest weakness.
I’ve grown to like the Mount signing but I don’t get why it was the first/priority.

bosskeano

second signing done with Onana....looks like the focus seems to be on Hojlund and Amrabat as the last two potential signings. Definitely a far cray from many of us hoped it would be but considering the sale is still in limbo FFP is kicking our ass. Odd considering Arsenal and Chelsea have been signing players like mad, much like City, and no mention of FFP being an issue.