Summer Transfer Window

Todd

It is a summer to consolidate our position as a consistent CL level club, though. I wish it was more but it might be the most realistic option for now.

You'd think another top 3/4 finish, good CL run, vastly reduced wage bill and presumably by then a far stronger position financial fair play wise, could put us in a very powerful position after this season. Silver linings and all that.
I can appreciate this approach, as I think it's very important that we get back to being a perennial Champions League club. But I believe it's going to be more difficult to stay in the top 4 this season than it was last season given how the clubs around us are improving. It'd be frustrating if by next summer we're in a better FFP situation to spend big but then have trouble signing elite players because we're back to being a Europa club.

Onerealunited

Update:

Confirmed departures to date (age in parentheses):
  1. Phil Jones (31): Released. Future unknown
  2. Ethan Galbraith (22): Released. Signed with Leyton Orient (League One)
  3. Jack Butland (30): End of loan. Signed with Rangers FC (Premiership)
  4. Bernard Di’Shon (22): Released. Future unknown
  5. Axel Tuanzebe (25): Released. Future unknown
  6. Zidane Iqbal (20): Sold. Continues at FC Utrecht (Eredivisie). Fee of €1.0m
  7. Ethan Laird (22): Sold. Continues at Birmingham City (Championship). Expected fee of €0.9m
  8. Wout Weghorst (30): End of loan. Future unknown
  9. Marcel Sabitzer (29): End of loan. Future unknown
  10. David de Gea (32): Released. Future unknown
  11. Charlie Savage (20): Sold. Continues at FC Reading (League One). Fee undisclosed
  12. Alex Telles (30): Sold. Continues at Al-Nassr (Saudi Pro League). Fee of €7.0m
Total income: €8.9m

Confirmed acquisitions to date (age in parentheses):
  1. Mason Mount (24). Fee of €64.2m
  2. Andre Onana (27): Fee of €52.5m
Total cost: €116.7m

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The good thing is that Phil Jones is gone.
What is important to note is that even though we have got rid of many people the revenue from those sales is a poultry 9M Euros.
It really does show that the people in charge of selling our players have no clue how to negotiate good deals.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
What is important to note is that even though we have got rid of many people the revenue from those sales is a poultry 9M Euros.
It really does show that the people in charge of selling our players have no clue how to negotiate good deals.
We're taking chickens now?!! Absolute joke of a club.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Serious fowl play from them indeed

RedIan

Update:

7. Ethan Laird (22): Sold. Continues at Birmingham City (Championship). Expected fee of €0.9m
  9. Marcel Sabitzer (29): End of loan. Future unknown
  11. Charlie Savage (20): Sold. Continues at FC Reading (League One). Fee undisclosed
  12. Alex Telles (30): Sold. Continues at Al-Nassr (Saudi Pro League). Fee of €7.0m
Total income: €8.9m

ELANGA SOLD £15mil

RedIan

We need to shift mctominay or fred for £30mil and maguire £30mil. Williams £5mil.
martial £25mil

Onerealunited

Update:

7. Ethan Laird (22): Sold. Continues at Birmingham City (Championship). Fee of €0.9m
  9. Marcel Sabitzer (29): End of loan. Signed with Borussia Dortmund (Bundesliga)
  13. Anthony Elanga (21): Sold. Continues at Nottingham Forrest (Premier League). Fee of €17.5m
Total income: €26.4m

Devil You Know

It feels as though United are focussing on agreeing terms with the player first, and negotiating the fee with the club second:

Makes a pleasant change from last Summer when we agreed the fee with Barca first and never sealed the deal with De Jong. That only partially worked because Barca were desperate, but we got it back-to-front in the end.

I like this new strategy. By getting player contracts agreed beforehand, it's like telling the selling club that the player has effectively put in a transfer request. It forces the selling club's hand to sit down at the negotiating table and come up with a reasonable fee, or else they'll end up with an upset player in the dressing room.

So far it's worked wonders. I feel like Real Madrid have been doing this for years. It's how they've got so many (relative) bargains by leveraging their status as a prestige club. We need to make this our standard policy.

We're a big club that lots of people want to play for. We should act like it.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
It feels as though United are focussing on agreeing terms with the player first, and negotiating the fee with the club second:

Makes a pleasant change from last Summer when we agreed the fee with Barca first and never sealed the deal with De Jong. That only partially worked because Barca were desperate, but we got it back-to-front in the end.

I like this new strategy. By getting player contracts agreed beforehand, it's like telling the selling club that the player has effectively put in a transfer request. It forces the selling club's hand to sit down at the negotiating table and come up with a reasonable fee, or else they'll end up with an upset player in the dressing room.

So far it's worked wonders. I feel like Real Madrid have been doing this for years. It's how they've got so many (relative) bargains by leveraging their status as a prestige club. We need to make this our standard policy.
I don't think it's a new policy - this has been the standard all over Europe for a while now, and I'm pretty sure most of our deals before this summer happened this way too. FDJ was very much the exception.

Devil You Know

I don't think it's a new policy - this has been the standard all over Europe for a while now, and I'm pretty sure most of our deals before this summer happened this way too. FDJ was very much the exception.
It's not standard at all. FdJ was an exception with regards to how public it was. But clubs don't usually negotiate the plauer contract weeks before the final transfer amount.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Elanga 15m.

ThanksBoss26

Henderson, Bishop, Bailly and Fred all look a good bet to go soon which will take the end of loan/permanent departures up to 17.

Like to think it will end up being 20+ come the end of August.

bosskeano

so we've started having contact with West Ham about McT and Maguire....not really sure how you can suggest Maguire is an important member of the group considering he's not even at top 4 CB in the squad

Scott would definitely get playing time but if we can sell him for 20m to West Ham, that would be wise on our part same for Maguire. We may sell Bailly and Fred but we won't get much for them in terms of fee but will get their salaries off the wage bill

Todd

25 million for McTominay
25 million for Maguire
20 million for Fred
5 million for Bailly

That'd be a good bit of business. Add in the ~15 or whatever we got for Elanga, and there's the Kane money

Ronaldo's Love Child

We should buy Guelor Kanga. Guy is born four years after his mother passed away. That is the guy who knows how to fight with aging stuff.:)
I am sure something was lost in translation.

I haven't had my coffee yet but my head already hurts trying to figure that one out.

L1nk

I still cannot believe we didn't buy Striker first, it was glaring last season and it's even more glaring now in pre season, I like Mason Mount but there's plenty of number 8's we could have bought if time was an issue, he should not have been the first signing before a striker i'm sorry.

We still need a striker, another midfielder, i'd argue maybe 2, we need someone who's tall strong and athletic because Eriksen just doesn't have the physicality he was a fish out of water last night.

red.knight

According to my sources, the deals for Hojlund and Amrabat will be completed before the end of the month.

Appletonred

If we are not even going to seriously try to sign Harry Kane then I'm sorry but for the so called biggest club in the world its a dereliction of duty.

CG1010

I have a fundamental question about FFP. Would the following have an impact on how much we can spend under FFP:
(1) Interest cost paid by the club is reduced if glazers/new owners settle the debt partly
(2) dividend going to glazers is reduced.

These are of course hypothetical situations

Oh_Dear

If we are not even going to seriously try to sign Harry Kane then I'm sorry but for the so called biggest club in the world its a dereliction of duty.
We can't afford the fee. Levy wouldn't want to sell him to us. He wants to go to Bayern. Simples. Move on.

"Dereliction of duty" - seriously?

justsomebloke

I have a fundamental question about FFP. Would the following have an impact on how much we can spend under FFP:
(1) Interest cost paid by the club is reduced if glazers/new owners settle the debt partly
(2) dividend going to glazers is reduced.

These are of course hypothetical situations
That'd help us next year, not now I think? Because FFP limitations come from our financial performance the last 3 years? where the accounts are already settled?

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Sold:
Elanga 18m
Telles 7m
Zidane 1m
Bjorn Hardley 1m
Ethan Laird 1m
= 28m euro

Players that should be sold:
Henderson 25m
B. Williams 5m
Bailly 5m
Maguire 30m
McTominey 30m
Fred 20m
= 115m euro

Total= 143m euro left.
Our priority should at least to try put in a 100m euro bid for Kane, take it or leave it. If we could pay that amount for Antony then this should be a no-brainer.
But Levy would rather get 20m less and sell to Bayern if he decides to sell him this summer.

So our next transfers will probably be 65+5m for Höjlund and 30+5m for Amrabat, so total 105 which will leave us with another 38m and if decide to to sell VDB, that should add another 17m so total 55m left which could get us a good addition to our squad. If we could also get a 30m bid for Martial then we should try to get a second striker. Kolo Muani would be the dream signing along with Höjlund, both young, still room to improvement and two different type of players and we can not put all our hope on a 20 years old striker, with big potential, but he still only scored 9 goals and had 4 assist in Seria A. Kolo Muani is 4 years and 2 months older. so still very young but he had a much more productive season in Bundesliga with 15 goals and 14 assist in same amount of league games as Höjlund, 32.

If we could get these players above sold, these 2 would be 2 great signings since we will be playing around 60-70 games, and we can not be so naive to believe that a 20 year with one season on the highest level can play 90%+ of the games and in his first season all suddenly reach Haaland or Kanes numbers, But them two together should be able to add 15+ goals each in the league and total 20+ total, that´s hopefully 40g and maybe 10-15 assist more then we had last season, in a season where we scored far from enough goals and lost 15-20 points just because we did not have any other reliable goalscorer than Rashford who had 4 world class months were he scored 85% of his goals. And all clubs with ambition to be fighting on all fronts need 2 players on each position, basically you need 2 starting elevens if you want the players to be fresh and prevent injuries over 60-70 games.

Onana
AWB Varane Martinez Shaw
Casemiro
Mount Bruno
Antony Muani Rashford

Kovar
Dalot Lindelöf Evans* Malacia
Mainoo Eriksen
Greenwood* Sancho Garnacho
Höjlund

* = If we do not give Evans a one year deal, then play Mengi or sign a new "cheaper" talented left footed CB
** = If we decide that Greenwood should not play for us this season, or ever again, we have options in Amad and Pellistri for right wing. I would prefer Greenwood, huge talent to be wasted, the court found him not guilty, ETH is saying between the line that he wants him and Mason and his girlfriend seem to be happy together again and just got a child, hopefully that will keep them from getting them in new situations and they they were teenagers when all this happened and hopefully have they matured now that they became parents and are 2 years older.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Only preseason I know but seeing again how poor we are in the final third I am not sure getting rid of de Gea and getting in Mount and Onana were the right priorities. Hojlund won’t solve this problem neither.

We still could do with a proper number 8 to connect defense and attack (not sure Mount is that), someone to cover for Casemiro and a creative winger. Rashford is a goal threat, not a big creator or creative enough linking up in the attack.
And hope that one of Sancho or Antony really gets going this season, respectively Garnacho overtakes them both.

Oh_Dear

Sold:
Elanga 18m
Telles 7m
Zidane 1m
Bjorn Hardley 1m
Ethan Laird 1m
= 28m euro

Players that should be sold:
Henderson 25m
B. Williams 5m
Bailly 5m
Maguire 30m
McTominey 30m
Fred 20m
= 115m euro

Total= 143m euro left.
Our priority should at least to try put in a 100m euro bid for Kane, take it or leave it. If we could pay that amount for Antony then this should be a no-brainer.
But Levy would rather get 20m less and sell to Bayern if he decides to sell him this summer.

So our next transfers will probably be 65+5m for Höjlund and 30+5m for Amrabat, so total 105 which will leave us with another 38m and if decide to to sell VDB, that should add another 17m so total 55m left which could get us a good addition to our squad. If we could also get a 30m bid for Martial then we should try to get a second striker. Kolo Muani would be the dream signing along with Höjlund, both young, still room to improvement and two different type of players and we can not put all our hope on a 20 years old striker, with big potential, but he still only scored 9 goals and had 4 assist in Seria A. Kolo Muani is 4 years and 2 months older. so still very young but he had a much more productive season in Bundesliga with 15 goals and 14 assist in same amount of league games as Höjlund, 32.

If we could get these players above sold, these 2 would be 2 great signings since we will be playing around 60-70 games, and we can not be so naive to believe that a 20 year with one season on the highest level can play 90%+ of the games and in his first season all suddenly reach Haaland or Kanes numbers, But them two together should be able to add 15+ goals each in the league and total 20+ total, that´s hopefully 40g and maybe 10-15 assist more then we had last season, in a season where we scored far from enough goals and lost 15-20 points just because we did not have any other reliable goalscorer than Rashford who had 4 world class months were he scored 85% of his goals. And all clubs with ambition to be fighting on all fronts need 2 players on each position, basically you need 2 starting elevens if you want the players to be fresh and prevent injuries over 60-70 games.

Onana
AWB Varane Martinez Shaw
Casemiro
Mount Bruno
Antony Muani Rashford

Kovar
Dalot Lindelöf Evans* Malacia
Mainoo Eriksen
Greenwood* Sancho Garnacho
Höjlund

* = If we do not give Evans a one year deal, then play Mengi or sign a new "cheaper" talented left footed CB
** = If we decide that Greenwood should not play for us this season, or ever again, we have options in Amad and Pellistri for right wing. I would prefer Greenwood, huge talent to be wasted, the court found him not guilty, ETH is saying between the line that he wants him and Mason and his girlfriend seem to be happy together again and just got a child, hopefully that will keep them from getting them in new situations and they they were teenagers when all this happened and hopefully have they matured now that they became parents and are 2 years older.
Please, live in the real world, not FM.

1. You've included bonuses in the "sold" numbers - we may never receive them.
2. We're not buying Kane. Bayern are. Move on.
3. There's no way we sell both McFred without a replacement. Where's Arambat in your calculations?
4. There's no way we'll be able to sell Martial atm - who wants to pay money for a player who decides to turn up and play once every 6 months (or whatever his record is)?
5. There's no way we're buying Muani AND Hojland in this window.
6. If we manage to sell Maguire, we'll need to buy a replacement backup CB. And no, given we'll need cover for the PL and ECL I can't see Evans being good enough.
7. If Heaton, Bishop and Henderson leave (plus Butland's loan has already expired), we'll need to buy another backup GK. Kovar and Vitek won't be enough. No surprise there's been noise about Bijlow/Suzuki.

cyril C

so we've started having contact with West Ham about McT and Maguire....not really sure how you can suggest Maguire is an important member of the group considering he's not even at top 4 CB in the squad

Scott would definitely get playing time but if we can sell him for 20m to West Ham, that would be wise on our part same for Maguire. We may sell Bailly and Fred but we won't get much for them in terms of fee but will get their salaries off the wage bill
Offloading Maguire and henderson are important and priority, because they are expensive and somehow damaging to squad spirit. McTom is OK to stay if we don't get decent offer, unless player press for release.

Oh_Dear

Offloading Maguire and henderson are important and priority, because they are expensive and somehow damaging to squad spirit. McTom is OK to stay if we don't get decent offer, unless player press for release.
Honestly, I'd rather keep Maguire than sell him for only 20 mil., especially if he really wants to compete for a place in the squad rather than just hanging around for the pay. I doubt we'd find a suitable replacement backup CB for 20 mil.

Agree with you on Henderson and McT.

Currently it seems Henderson, Fred, Bailly and VdB will all leave this window, but has there been any news about Williams? I thought he'd be on his way this window too.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Please, live in the real world, not FM.

1. You've included bonuses in the "sold" numbers - we may never receive them.
2. We're not buying Kane. Bayern are. Move on.
3. There's no way we sell both McFred without a replacement. Where's Arambat in your calculations?
4. There's no way we'll be able to sell Martial atm - who wants to pay money for a player who decides to turn up and play once every 6 months (or whatever his record is)?
5. There's no way we're buying Muani AND Hojland in this window.
6. If we manage to sell Maguire, we'll need to buy a replacement backup CB. And no, given we'll need cover for the PL and ECL I can't see Evans being good enough.
7. If Heaton, Bishop and Henderson leave (plus Butland's loan has already expired), we'll need to buy another backup GK. Kovar and Vitek won't be enough. No surprise there's been noise about Bijlow/Suzuki.
1. As we are counting add-ons in "bought" numbers.
2. Exactly what I said.
3. I mentioned Amrabat. He IF we did get the chance to sell all mentioned players and buy Höjlund/Muani, finding 35m for a Amrabat will be easy, when there is a offer that is to good to refuse you find a solution.
4. Saudi clubs are buying names, not players, they want to promote sports in Middle East, they could not care less how many games the player will play. Take a look of how many players the clubs in Saudi have bought for insane fees + paying 3-4-5-10 times the wager the deserve.
5. I never said or believed that we would, I´m saying that we right now have some highly rated players like Varane/Casemiro/Bruno/Onana/Shaw etc in their prime and a world class manager that deserves 2 good strikers that are able to rotate, stay fresh and be able to perform when they are 110% healthy and can give their all.
6. We have Lindelöf, and Shaw can jump in we really need him to. Mengi should also be given a chance or move on.
7. Heaton wont leave, he is a good back up + Kovar who showed last year that he deserves a chance. And ETH showed last year that he does not rotate his GK if not needed + Suzuki is valued around 4m euros, same money we can get for Kovar.

bosskeano

Maguire needs to go full stop...he's a guy who had his captaincy stripped from him so you can't keep him in the club. Just sell him for a decent price and move on.

One player that really hasn't been spoken about to give back up to Casemiro or even push him for his place is Leeds Tyler Adams. He's a classic #6 who's great on the ball and has a really high work rate. He has a relegation clause for around 20m in his contract. I think this would be a brilliant move on our part if we can move out Fred and/or Scott.

bosskeano

Onana, Mount and Hojlund done by the end of July is pretty unusual business for United. Good to see them get the guys into the squad before we even finish the last preseason match.

Bit surprised we haven't sold some of the bigger names yet but players coming in has been quite good

bosskeano

Nathan Bishop has been sold to Sunderland for an undisclosed fee....

Hojlund brought in for an intial 60m plus add on fees

still no movement from the bigger names like maguire, fred, bailly and Scott

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
1. As we are counting add-ons in "bought" numbers.
2. Exactly what I said.
3. I mentioned Amrabat. He IF we did get the chance to sell all mentioned players and buy Höjlund/Muani, finding 35m for a Amrabat will be easy, when there is a offer that is to good to refuse you find a solution.
4. Saudi clubs are buying names, not players, they want to promote sports in Middle East, they could not care less how many games the player will play. Take a look of how many players the clubs in Saudi have bought for insane fees + paying 3-4-5-10 times the wager the deserve.
5. I never said or believed that we would, I´m saying that we right now have some highly rated players like Varane/Casemiro/Bruno/Onana/Shaw etc in their prime and a world class manager that deserves 2 good strikers that are able to rotate, stay fresh and be able to perform when they are 110% healthy and can give their all.
6. We have Lindelöf, and Shaw can jump in we really need him to. Mengi should also be given a chance or move on.
7. Heaton wont leave, he is a good back up + Kovar who showed last year that he deserves a chance. And ETH showed last year that he does not rotate his GK if not needed + Suzuki is valued around 4m euros, same money we can get for Kovar.
7. Heaton does want to leave but he was blocked, Luton wanted him and he wanted to go

bosskeano

Looks like by all accounts the Amrabat deal is in full swing....an alternative that i've mentioned, Tyler Adams, is now being linked with Chelsea. He has a simple release clause due to leeds being relegated. IMO, he'd be a very good alternative to Casemiro.

It's nice though to see us building the team more solidly thru the middle of the pitch...Hojlund, Mount, Amrabat, Onana(last year Casemiro). Shame that we missed on Kim b/c we didn't move out Maguire as that would have been the cherry on top.