Summer Transfer Window

SirScholes

Looking at the opening comments
In what world did people think we were signing Kane and Rice as well as 3/4 other high profile players

bosskeano

In what world did people think we were signing Kane and Rice as well as 3/4 other high profile players
haha...yeah that's people who spent too much time playing video games.

i think the hope was two fold....Glazers would sell and we'd have a decent size transfer bank this summer PLUS we would sell some of the bigger names to make extra money

FerociousCorgis

if we get amrabat about as well as i could imagine the window going. a couple midfield signings, CF, and a GK. We still need a varane understudy and RB could really use upgrading, but that can be next steps.

lex talionis

Mount, Onana and Hojlund is a pretty decent infusion of new blood, particularly if the footwork of the new keeper truly will have the impact that has been projected. Add Ambrabat and the summer transfer window will have borderline outstanding. Swap Evans for Maguire, even better!

Bwuk

I’ll be honest it’s a bit underwhelming.

Onana will be an obvious upgrade on De Gea.

I like Mount but I don’t think he’s particularly what we needed in midfield.

Hojlund looks exciting but it’s a big ask for him to be the main man, and if he doesn’t hit the ground running I’ve got big concerns about our ability to score goals.

Withnail

if we get amrabat about as well as i could imagine the window going. a couple midfield signings, CF, and a GK. We still need a varane understudy and RB could really use upgrading, but that can be next steps.
Agreed. We also look to be moving and replacing on some players like Fred who, while they've had some good performances in them, have underwhelmed on the whole. It's shaping up to be a really good Summer for us.

AgentP

Our transfers this season may or may not work out. But what I’m impressed with is that we had a clear plan and got our signings done before the start of the season. We are not in a position where we need to make last minute panic signings after the season has started.

Hoof the ball

They clung onto the idea that we had a war chest, they just didn't factor in that it was the war treasury of a Gallic tribe and not the Roman Empire.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
They clung onto the idea that we had a war chest, they just didn't factor in that it was the war treasury of a Gallic tribe and not the Roman Empire.
Rice will be a flop and end up back at West Ham in 2 years on loan.

Kane was never coming here. For once, we made the correct decision in not getting drawn into a long transfer saga. Whether Højlund will be a good enough striker instead is another issue...

UpWithRivers

We could have signed Kane + Rice - 200 mill. We won't be far off that spend this window

Woziak

Well Kane won’t be sold to us, I wanted Caicedo but ETH seems to prefer a Mount style player and also Caicedo himself will cost 100m, and Rabiot turned us down

I admit I was pissed about missing on Kim, but we also don’t seem to want to sell Maguire as much as I’d like so in that sense it makes more sense.

But I was always of the opinion that GK was a join priority with striker, and once Kane was not happening it became priority #1 for me. In that sense we smashed it with Onana on a good fee, brought in a technical advanced mid that ETH seems certain will make it here even if I have doubts, and are now circling a top striker prospect. It’s not a 10/10, but it’s no lower than 7/10 for me given our options in the market and what we needed to help the squad going in along with our FFP issues we all knew about.
Good sensible post, In reality Onana given time will revolutionise the way we play by pushing the team higher up the pitch and using his incredible distribution to start attacks.

Like you, I’m on the fence with Mount but I believe in ETH methods and visions. We have K Mainoo who look’s potentially an almost identical player to Caciedo but two years younger, there is no need to spend £100m when we have a player coming through that might actually be better on the ball.

Daniel Levy was never selling Kane, so we got the next best thing, a young emerging superstar CF who actually supports Man United, now if we get rid of Fred for £15m, Maguire for £25m, loan out D Henderson with obligation to buy then buy S Amrabat and Tolido I think we’ve had a solid 7.5/10.

Ideally I’d like to see us sell S Mctominay and keep DVB or vice versa providing we get £40m for Scott or £20m for DVB, assuming Scott is more likely to sell, then that money would mean we could go buy or loan another attacking talent, someone more left field than expected maybe from South America or maybe we pick up Mohamed Kudas who offers versatility in the attacking positions.

My point our midfield last year got over run in away games and we lost 8 PL away games, our GK spent most of his time kicking the ball back to the opposition and putting the team under unnecessary pressure, add that to we couldn’t score enough goals because we relied on mostly one man, and you start to see with a few more signings we would have improved things greatly.

Woziak

IF the rumours are indeed true that Goretzka is available for not much more than what it would cost for Amrabat, then Ten Hag needs to be all over the former, not the latter.
Maybe he wants both, Goretzka is not a CDM but CM/AM who gets goals so yes he would be a huge upgrade on S Mctominay and Amrabat a huge upgrade on Fred.

He wants a midfield engine that completely dominates the opposition, I can see ETH playing a 4 man midfield in tough away PL games next season with Bruno starting right sided but tucked in and Casemeiro, Mount and Goretzka/Amrabat if we sign either of them.

Westerkerk

I'd be surprised if we signed anyone else, though I do think we might if we can move others on.

A DM would be ideal, but can't see us getting one unless we move one of Fred on McT on.

We are clearly not prioritising defensive positions this year, unless you count the addition of Evans as cover.

With that in mind I think a new CM, Striker and GK are good business. You can't have it all in one window, but we've got to make better decisions from now on on who we do bring in. I am glad we've not been forever linked with Kane for the whole window knowing it would never happen.

Resonance

I would rate the window as a 7/10. I think Onana is an excellent signing and will instantly improve us. Not yet sure about Mount and Hojlund but I have faith in EtH. We were never going to become genuine title contenders after one transfer window anyway.

Resch

Would be happy with Onana, Mount, Højlund and Amrabat.
Would be really happy if we got a young CB to.
Strahinja Pavlovic
Vidic type of player, fearless, big, strong in the air and a warrior. 22 years old. would be a great investment in the future and should be available in winter.

I would miss a "senior" striker, someone like maybe Vardy or Morata, not too expensiv, is happy on the bench and will give us some scoring. Yussuf Poulsen should fit EDHs style, would give us some scoring and hight.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Strahinja Pavlovic
Vidic type of player, fearless, big, strong in the air and a warrior. 22 years old. would be a great investment in the future and should be available in winter.

I would miss a "senior" striker, someone like maybe Vardy or Morata, not too expensiv, is happy on the bench and will give us some scoring. Yussuf Poulsen should fit EDHs style, would give us some scoring and hight.
The meltdown on here if we signed Vardy would be sensational.

Redstain

I’ll be honest it’s a bit underwhelming.

Onana will be an obvious upgrade on De Gea.

I like Mount but I don’t think he’s particularly what we needed in midfield.

Hojlund looks exciting but it’s a big ask for him to be the main man, and if he doesn’t hit the ground running I’ve got big concerns about our ability to score goals.
It's a poor window by way of looking at last season and addressing the weaknesses. United needed a right fullback, another winger on the right and a striker. The right side of the attack was despicable last season, there was next to no productivity coming from it aside Dalot on a few occasions before the world cup when he was at peak form. I don't think Mount offers enough to warrant not prioritizing another position considering the midfield was one of the stronger points last season, especially with Eriksen before his injury. There's enough cover in the middle to get by.

It's also imperative that Mount will only score goals with a good amount of productivity coming from the width of the team. When Chilwell and James were fit and in form that's when he scored his highest goal ratio, when Chelsea lost that dynamic his contribution was far more limited.

The repeating problems of last season are back the team will not score enough goals, I'm willing to stand on this as a strong opinion that much is evident this pre season. Casemiro if he sustains injury / suspension and the team performances will drop to Ragnick levels again. How anyone can look at the activity this summer and have confidence in the new season I don't see it unfortunately.

If the Luckhurst piece about Hojlund is true (him being identified as a future prospect) then you have to question the clubs directive to use a good portion of the budget this summer for such an objective. Management have failed their responsibilities to prepare adequately this summer. It's not getting deals over the line in quick succession (which is undoubtedly a positive change) it's identification of the said players in question and what they are to contribute to the team.

Onana as it stands is the only considerable improvement.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Looks like by all accounts the Amrabat deal is in full swing....an alternative that i've mentioned, Tyler Adams, is now being linked with Chelsea. He has a simple release clause due to leeds being relegated. IMO, he'd be a very good alternative to Casemiro.

It's nice though to see us building the team more solidly thru the middle of the pitch...Hojlund, Mount, Amrabat, Onana(last year Casemiro). Shame that we missed on Kim b/c we didn't move out Maguire as that would have been the cherry on top.
I agree with Adams. He's young and a proven PL level DM. Leeds fell apart after he was injured. In addition, he would be great for marketing in the US. I don't know much about Amrabat so I can't say who is better.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
It's a poor window by way of looking at last season and addressing the weaknesses. United needed a right fullback, another winger on the right and a striker. The right side of the attack was despicable last season, there was next to no productivity coming from it aside Dalot on a few occasions before the world cup when he was at peak form. I don't think Mount offers enough to warrant not prioritizing another position considering the midfield was one of the stronger points last season, especially with Eriksen before his injury. There's enough cover in the middle to get by.

It's also imperative that Mount will only score goals with a good amount of productivity coming from the width of the team. When Chilwell and James were fit and in form that's when he scored his highest goal ratio, when Chelsea lost that dynamic his contribution was far more limited.

The repeating problems of last season are back the team will not score enough goals, I'm willing to stand on this as a strong opinion that much is evident this pre season. Casemiro if he sustains injury / suspension and the team performances will drop to Rangnick levels again. How anyone can look at the activity this summer and have confidence in the new season I don't see it unfortunately.

If the Luckhurst piece about Hojlund is true (him being identified as a future prospect) then you have to question the clubs directive to use a good portion of the budget this summer for such an objective. Management have failed their responsibilities to prepare adequately this summer. It's not getting deals over the line in quick succession (which is undoubtedly a positive change) it's identification of the said players in question and what they are to contribute to the team.

There is a decent chance Antony will improve this year. He has great skills and attributes and is still learning to be productive. Many young wingers go through this phase (Ronaldo for one). In addition, we do have Amad as a backup and I think he could be like Garnacho was last season.

More and more I think MG is going to be brought back especially with Hojlund being a project. If he can be good within a few months then we have Hojlund, Martial, MG and Sancho as strikers. Surely that has to be worth 20 goals in the PL between them. If Rashford gets 15, Garnacho 7, Antony 7 and Amad 4 that puts us at 53 PL goals. Add in others we might score more than 70 for the season.

SirScholes

The repeating problems of last season are back the team will not score enough goals, I'm willing to stand on this as a strong opinion that much is evident this pre season. Casemiro if he sustains injury / suspension and the team performances will drop to Rangnick levels again. How anyone can look at the activity this summer and have confidence in the new season I don't see it unfortunately.

What a load of bollocks haha
Each signing walks into the first team

bosskeano

It's been a solid summer window so far as i know all three players will be an upgrade to what we had last season....i still would like to see us bring in one or two more(midfield and wing)

disappointing though from the standpoint of shipping out players that clearly need to go

LARulz

update required - Bishop has been sold
I am surprised by the number of first reamers, including De Gea, who seem to have spoken/wishing him well. Seems to have been very popular in the dressing room

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
It's the same every year on the Caf.

That said, one could be forgiven for thinking Rice was happening. We've been heavily linked to him every summer for at least 3 years now.

Suv666

Would have loved a proper star attacker and an offensive fullback but all in all a very decent window.

Onerealunited

update required - Bishop has been sold
I would rather not include him in the list I update as I have solely focused on players that as minimum have had one game for the first team or have been sold for a fee. To my knowledge no fee has been published for the sale of Bishop and I would be surprised if we have received anything for now. Most likely it is a free transfer with some bonuses we don’t know about yet

IrishRedDevil

I would rather not include him in the list I update as I have solely focused on players that as minimum have had one game for the first team or have been sold for a fee. To my knowledge no fee has been published for the sale of Bishop and I would be surprised if we have received anything for now. Most likely it is a free transfer with some bonuses we don’t know about yet
When did Bernard Di’Shon play for the first team?

Todd

Last summer we made transfers that essentially got us from 6th place to 3rd place, so it was a very good summer.

This summer's business simply will not be able to have the same impact on the club in terms of improving where we wind up at the end of the season. While last summer was about making major strides, this summer's haul is more or less just going to keep our heads above water given what the rest of the top teams have done. In fact I wouldn't be surprised at all if we finish lower in the table. Missing out on Champion's League at the end of this season would be an absolute disaster so I just hope we're able to stay in 4th at worst.

I appreciate what ETH is trying to build here but the reality is that we won't be competing for the league or for Europe until we sign one or two world-class players. We need a difference maker like an Mbappe, a Vini Jr, a Kane, etc to get to the next level.

Alemar

I would rather not include him in the list I update as I have solely focused on players that as minimum have had one game for the first team or have been sold for a fee. To my knowledge no fee has been published for the sale of Bishop and I would be surprised if we have received anything for now.
No fee published for Bishop (and for Savage) doesn’t mean there was no fee - surely there was some (probably modest, surely). But if you make a list of transfers, Bishop is of course a transfer

Denis79

I feel we have had a good window, adressing several problems. Most of our new signings will be considered starters when the league starts, hopefully they'll stay so.

cyril C

Rice will be a flop and end up back at West Ham in 2 years on loan.

Kane was never coming here. For once, we made the correct decision in not getting drawn into a long transfer saga. Whether Højlund will be a good enough striker instead is another issue...
Rice may or may not be a flop, but had we gone for him, we would have never sign Casemiro. There is no place for 2 big name CMF in the squad, because Casemiro will be the 1st name on the team sheet, unless he is forced/adviced to be rested. Getting a 100m MF to be a backup is only a FIFAPro game plan, not in reality.

The ideal scenario 3 summer back, was to swap Rice for Lingard (plus McTom or cash). If it didn't happen then it will never happen, just move on.

As for Kane, while he is a perfect signing (2-3 seasons younger), Spurs and Dortmund are the 2 clubs we should never bother with. Spurs being time wasting to negotiate, Dortmund feeds us flop.

IrishRedDevil

No fee published for Bishop (and for Savage) doesn’t mean there was no fee - surely there was some (probably modest, surely). But if you make a list of transfers, Bishop is of course a transfer
agreed. No point doing half a job.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
So far it has been a very good window. We got one of the best goalkeepers around that will help us evolve our game, we have a top midfielder for an ok'ish price, a young talented striker (expensive but as someone else pointed out, no one would sell Garnacho for less than 80m either). If we can add Amrabat, we have for once proper depth in midfield too.
Our problem is once more on the selling side

Pavl3n

The caf will be the caf. This thread is molding into a typical caf thread - half the people moaning that this window is bad, because we haven't signed Kane or Osimhen, we haven't signed Kim (although the only time they've seen Kim is on a picture in a tweet) and we aren't considering signing Mbappe, Kimmich, Musiala, Kvaratshkelia. Murthough is useless because he hasn't convinced FDJ and his girlfriend/wife to relocate to Manchester.

What people fail to see is August just started and we have signed our top 3 targets for fair fees (mind you Hojlund pending announcement). I myself am in disbelief we've completed these deals within a month. Usually we'd get linked to a player and then it will take anywhere from 2 months to a year until we sign him, going through all the phases (thinking to consider to prepare a preparation template to use when certain that will prepare a bid to submit), or the rumors will go around forever (I heard we might be getting Nico Gaitan this window). No sagas, no knock backs, no 'deal is off, off to the next target'. It's clear to see preparation was done on time, targets were identified and compiled into a list, list was filtered based on financial packages and other factors. Window opened and we went on with our business, showing that even if we have a kitty to spend we are not in for a rinse job.

The players? I am certain Mount and Onana are the right signings. I've said it before - we need Eriksen to replace McTominay as the back up midfielder and bring upgrade on Eriksen. Someone with more gas in the tank, younger, still developing, entering his prime years, bringing a lot of energy in our midfield. And I think Mount is that player. He's also a player that will contribute goals
18/19 11G 6A (8&5 in Championship),
19/20 8G 6A (7&6 in PL),
20/21 9G 9A (6&6 in PL),
21/22 13G 16A (11&10 in PL),
22/23 3G 6A (3&2 in PL).
Yes, last season's numbers aren't great but Chelsea were dreadful all year round. So, excluding last season, he's on a progressive curve and I think under a coach with a plan (his best numbers are under Tuchel) he can bring a lot to the team.

Onana - there's no point to discuss there. The guy spent over 10 years in La Masia and Ajax, so I think we can expect him to be a modern keeper confident on the ball, good passing. Is he a better shot stopper than prime De Gea? Maybe not. Is he still a very good shot stopper - probably yes.

Rasmus Hojlund - great prospect. Runs, presses from the front, good technical ability, good finishing, only 20 years old - full of energy. But yeah, still raw, costing over 70 million, bound to be put under the spot light and every move dissected with a microscope. We are United - it's the usual. The only worry here is that he's rather a prospect instead of the finished product, but we clearly don't have the money for the finished product so we had to settle for the next best thing and hope we can develop it.

And I think these 3 players were the absolute must to add to the squad as new players/options.
So far, this summer has been a solid 8.4/10. We'll never get to a 10/10 this summer, simply because of the striker we went for. But we surely can improve the transfer window rating.
I think it's crucial we upgrade on Fred and bring back up for Casemiro at least, hopefully upgrade on Maguire as well, but I don't think we have enough time for that.
Amrabat seems like is happening - not sure if that's the upgrade on Fred or the back up for Casemiro, but he's a good option, in the prime of his years, for decent fee, and he's shown that if he believes in the team he'll put his heart in it. I believe we'll have this sorted pretty soon, which would mean we'll have the core group ready at least a week before the season starts and we'll have another 3 weeks of transfer window where we can concentrate solely on the outgoings and we won't be stressed about incomings.

Onerealunited

Update (bold reflects players with updated data since previous update)

Confirmed departures to date (age in parentheses):
  1. Phil Jones (31): Released. Future unknown
  2. Ethan Galbraith (22): Released. Signed for Leyton Orient (League One)
  3. Jack Butland (30): End of loan. Signed for Rangers FC (Premiership)
  4. Bernard Di’Shon (22): Released. Signed for Sheffield Wednesday (Championship)
  5. Axel Tuanzebe (25): Released. Future unknown
  6. Zidane Iqbal (20): Sold. Continues at FC Utrecht (Eredivisie). Fee of €1.0m
  7. Ethan Laird (22): Sold. Continues at Birmingham City (Championship). Fee of €0.9m
  8. Wout Weghorst (30): End of loan. Future unknown
  9. Marcel Sabitzer (29): End of loan. Signed for Borussia Dortmund (Bundesliga)
  10. David de Gea (32): Released. Future unknown
  11. Charlie Savage (20): Sold. Continues at FC Reading (League One). Fee undisclosed
  12. Alex Telles (30): Sold. Continues at Al-Nassr (Saudi Pro League). Fee of €7.0m
  13. Anthony Elanga (21): Sold. Continues at Nottingham Forrest (Premier League). Fee of €17.5m
  14. Nathan Bishop (23): Sold. Continues at Sunderland (Championship). Fee undisclosed
Total income: €26.4m

Confirmed acquisitions to date (age in parentheses):
  1. Mason Mount (24). Fee of €64.2m
  2. Andre Onana (27): Fee of €52.5m
  3. Rasmus Højlund (20): Fee of €75.0m
Total cost: €191.70m