Super scout Mathieu Seckinger leaves Manchester United for Marseille

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Man Utd suffer transfer blow as super scout Mathieu Seckinger leaves Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side for a role at Marseille

The French club have already poached two members of United's scouting team in David Friio and Omar Sciolla.
He was responsible for picking out youngsters Aliou Traore, Noam Emeran, Hannibal Mejbri and Willy Kambwala.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...eu-seckinger-ole-gunnar-solskjaers-marseille/

I know its the sun, but he did work for us. Dont know if he was a "superscout" mind you.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Not sure if he's left the club but there was speculation about Marseille being interested in his services.

But we also have Thomas Maurin at the club who is a scout for us in France and has been at the club for around 18 months.

RedDevilzFox

Nothing super about the state of this club or youth, how super can he be?

Withnail

The question is if you're leaving United to go Marseille are you of the calibre wanted at the club. It's a step down in anyone's book so it seems like tabloid spin to claim united are suffering anything and that these lads are being poached.

UnofficialDevil

The question is if you're leaving United to go Marseille are you of the calibre wanted at the club. It's a step down in anyone's book so it seems like tabloid spin to claim united are suffering anything and that these lads are being poached.
Why is it a step down if your a scout? Its a step up, he gets paid more and his job is easier because the club is loaded and he can scout and report back with the best players in the world knowing that money isn't an object. How is that a step down for a scout? If it was player then yes I agree that would be a step down.
Or are they not owned by Oil tycoons?

*edit my bad, I got that wrong, I thought they were an oil funded club.
Still if he gets paid more that's not a step down. He isn't a football player.

Last edited:

RC89

Not really. It depends on the role he's going into, it's not just about the magnitude of the club.

Becoming manager of Southampton for example would be a step up from being Assistant coach at United.

Champagne Football

I don't think it's a coincidence that he leaves a day after Murtough is appointed our first ever sporting director.

Something tells me this bloke got the boot but Utd are happy to make it look like he left us to protect his reputation in the game.

Nick7

That’s bollocks, really.

Withnail

Why is it a step down if your a scout? Its a step up, he gets paid more and his job is easier because the club is loaded and he can scout and report back with the best players in the world knowing that money isn't an object. How is that a step down for a scout? If it was player then yes I agree that would be a step down.
Or are they not owned by Oil tycoons?

*edit my bad, I got that wrong, I thought they were an oil funded club.
Not really. It depends on the role he's going into, it's not just about the magnitude of the club.

Becoming manager of Southampton for example would be a step up from being Assistant coach at United.
He was a first team scout at United.

He's now doing some as yet un-defined scouting role at Marseille. I'm just questioning the veracity of how the Sun (the Sun!) are framing this story.

UnofficialDevil

dinostar77

Makes no difference. Utd have one of the biggest scouting networks in europe. Some say far too big and bloated. Losing one scout aint gonna affect anything.

Withnail

French scout joins big French club. And people are surprised? It's his homeland. Never underestimate decisions of a personal nature.
Yeah I suppose that is true, especially with the current covid situation.

Thats rubbish, he is the first team scout for Marseille
https://fr.linkedin.com/in/mathieu-seckinger-898238132
Well I didn't search his linked in but it didn't say so in the article. Not exactly a promotion then it's it?

Do you think United have 'suffered a blow' which I've clarified is the angle I'm getting at?

UnofficialDevil

Yeah I suppose that is true, especially with the current covid situation.

Well I didn't search his linked in but it didn't say so in the article. Not exactly a promotion then it's it?

Do you think United have 'suffered a blow' which I've clarified is the angle I'm getting at?
I didnt say it was a promotion, but I dont see why its a step down, I dont know if United have suffered a blow, if we can replace him with a better scout then no, he was the scout that found us Hannibal Mejbri mind you.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
How long has he been with Utd? If it's more than 3 years than I'm not impressed with his record.

Withnail

I didnt say it was a promotion, but I dont see why its a step down, I dont know if United have suffered a blow, if we can replace him with a better scout then no, he was the scout that found us Hannibal Mejbri mind you.
It seems to be a similar role for a lesser club. You suggested it was a step up and said he'd get a pay rise. We don't know the specifics so we should probably leave that there.

You're aware we have way more scouts then any other club. Bloated I think was the word used.

Whether Mejbri makes it or not is yet to be seen so it all seems a bit overblown and tabloidy as I said but then it is the Sun.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not sure if he's left the club but there was speculation about Marseille being interested in his services.

But we also have Thomas Maurin at the club who is a scout for us in France and has been at the club for around 18 months.
Saw someone mention he was being mentored by Seckinger for the past few years and will now by our main scout in France.

UnofficialDevil

Makes no difference. Utd have one of the biggest scouting networks in europe. Some say far too big and bloated. Losing one scout aint gonna affect anything.
Is that why we always go after the players everybody knows about. Hardly need a scouting system for Maguire Sancho Haaland Bruno Varane do you. I could do that. Why couldn't our scouts find Raphinha?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Saw someone mention he was being mentored by Seckinger for the past few years and will now by our main scout in France.
Yeah that's what I've heard mate, the club had prepared itself in the eventuality of Seckinger leaving, so good luck to Thomas Maurin.

Dante

Average bang
United have 58 scouts according to Google. Whether this guy is 'super' or 'regular', I doubt his influence is anything significant in the grand scheme of things.

I'm sure we'll bring in a different scout who has equal expertise in French youth football and move on. Even the likes of Arsenal and Newcastle have decent contacts in that part of the world. There'll be lots of other scouts we can bring in.

And it's not like Seckinger discovered Mejbri by doing something unique only he could do. United had fight off other clubs for Mejbri's signature and had to pay a fee of €5m + up to €10m in addons. He was a known player who was being chased by a string of European clubs. Any half decent scout could have found him.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
According to what I've read about the Mejbri transfer, Seckinger was tracking Mejbri whilst he was the scout at French club Nancy and had been following the player for several years and had built up a rapport with Lofti Mejbri who is the father of the player. So when we brought Seckinger on board it gave us a advantage in negotiations due to him having built up a relationship with the players family.

But we've got Thomas Maurin, who will fill the void and I don't see a problem.

SinNombre

According to what I've read about the Mejbri transfer, Seckinger was tracking Mejbri whilst he was the scout at French club Nancy and had been following the player for several years and had built up a rapport with Lofti Mejbri who is the father of the player. So when we brought Seckinger on board it gave us a advantage in negotiations due to him having built up a relationship with the players family.

But we've got Thomas Maurin, who will fill the void and I don't see a problem.
And if there was a French super talent who was close to a scout, we would happily bring that scout on board as well.

Youth team recruitment is more about the structure than the scouts.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
And if there was a French super talent who was close to a scout, we would happily bring that scout on board as well.

Youth team recruitment is more about the structure than the scouts.
Recruitment full-stop is about the structure at ones disposal or else you get left behind.

davidmichael

From what I know we have the most bloated scouting team in world football stacked with people that Moyes, LVG, Jose and Ole all brought in and we’ve got a serious case of quantity over quality.

I know it’s easy to do in Football Manager or FIFA but I’d like to see us work out who are best scouts are and slim line it down to maybe 35 who are then work on scouting in their designated area of expertise and maybe then we’d stop missing out on all the hidden gems that the majority of other clubs seem to keep finding.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
From what I know we have the most bloated scouting team in world football stacked with people that Moyes, LVG, Jose and Ole all brought in and we’ve got a serious case of quantity over quality.

I know it’s easy to do in Football Manager or FIFA but I’d like to see us work out who are best scouts are and slim line it down to maybe 35 who are then work on scouting in their designated area of expertise and maybe then we’d stop missing out on all the hidden gems that the majority of other clubs seem to keep finding.
Moyes, LVG and Jose didn't bring any scouts to the club, unless you're talking about John Murtough and Marcel Bout who were brought to the club by Moyes and LVG.

in common knowledge that 39 scouts are the optimum number.