RB- Maicon- Beast

DM- Mascherano- Patroller/Controller

LCM- Marchisio- Versatile Support

RCM- Mendieta- Silky Tenacity

RF- Caniggia- Blazing Movement

CF- Drogba- Clinical Power

LAM- Litmanen- Unpredictable Angles

QF Tactical Changes

"I believe a team can be composed with great players even if some have to throw away their favoured position. If this sacrifice is accepted by those players i see no reason why it can't work. I see no reason to leave out of a team a proven creative, intelligent and effective player" - Tele Santana

We begin this match with a tactically defensive setup. Build to be impenetrable from the opponent’s 442 attacks. Ferdinand and Montero are a rock solid partnership. Mascherano patrols the area in front and limits the space and time anyone moving into that has on the ball. Zonal, flexible team defense is the foundation here.

Maldini and Maicon are in the optimal element here. Both in their peaks could be one man flanks controlling play. They have the proper support to do that here. Each side CM, Mendieta and Marchisio, are perfect to support the full backs in both offense and defense. With the trio of Mascherano-Ferdinand-Montero forming a triangle of death for opposing forwards and midfielders, Maldini and Maicon with the assistance of Mendietta and Marchisio will give their opponents flanks hell.

The midfield is setup to control the time and space of the midfield battle never losing control. The goal is take the opponent constantly out of their rhythm. Launch quick counters unsuspecting while slowing down the opponents tempo.

Drogba is the perfect sole striker up front to execute this strategy. The master of big games. 10 goals in 10 finals. Drogba can single handedly dominate either of CB. Caniggia offers blazing pace, incisive counter attacks and the ability to stretch the pitch on that flank to the maximum. On the other side Litmanen will have a mostly free role to roam and probe for space in the channels. He can move inside and combo off Drogba (whose assist ability is often underrated). Or he can drop deeper and combo with Marchisio surging left.

Skizzanohmoss

Formation: 4-4-1-1
Style: Direct

Style wise the team seems like something SAF would play, with the "what if" wet dream of Ronaldinho joining United and here he is in a team that would play a similar football. Every United fan have probably dreamt away at the prospect of having Ronaldinho in the side after got so close to signing him. "I was on the brink of joining Manchester United, there were just a few details to iron out, but Rosell called me at the last minute to tell me that they were going to win the election".

From Jupp Heynckes fantastic 4-4-1-1 and Champions League winning Bayern Munich side we have Arjen Robben.

The left side is self-explanatory with Ryan Giggs from our own 4-4-2 and SAF explains why best himself: “When Ryan runs at players he gives them twisted blood. They don’t want to be a defender anymore.— Sir Alex Ferguson

Giggs is a great player. I still vividly remember the games I played against him. My shock after watching Giggs play for the first time was very similar to the shock after seeing Luiz Ronaldo.— Zinedine Zidane

The transitions when we win the ball will strike like lightning with the passing range and vision of Guardiola and ball carrying and flair from Ronaldinho, Robben and Giggs. But even when we attack against an organized and settled defense we have some overpowering quality with Lizarazu overlapping for Giggs, Heinrich doing so for Robben and the sheer genius of Ronaldinho and Guardiola which will always be a moment of greatness away from a goal.

In the middle of the park we have Guardiola who will do the DLP role of Carrick(or DLP Scholes) while Simeone is the top tier version of a energetic and commanding box to box midfielder to complement him.

Defensively like most 4-4-2's it is about having a unit with nearly every single player on the pitch doing a job both ways.

I predominantly had Giggsy in front of me for the best part of eight years, and he was great, he’d work hard up and down the touchline, and he’d do his defensive duties. That was one good thing you could trust about him.— Denis Irwin

"Robben is a very important player in my system because he has learned to take on defensive roles. That makes him a lot stronger than he has been in the past." - Jupp Heynckes

With Robben and Giggs doing their job defensively and Cavani offering his neverending work rate from the front it leaves Ronaldinho to be as free as he wants to be and just express his talent. Like for Brazil he will have a nominal central role while he will be found anywhere across the front line.

"Although he was competent defensively and at pressing opponents to win the ball, due to his slender build he usually functioned as a deep lying playmaker, where he excelled courtesy of his technical ability and intelligent, efficient, precise passing game. Despite his lack of notable pace or physical attributes, Guardiola was highly regarded throughout his career for his vision, close control, passing range, positional sense, and calm composure on the ball, which enabled him to retain possession and either set the tempo of his team's play in midfield with intricate short exchanges,or switch the play or create chances with longer passes" - Cruyff

With Simeone, Giggs and Robben in line with him - who are more energetic in terms of winning the ball back - he will be an important figure for us the way he reads the ball and positions himself. Of course most importantly he assures the team composure and a direct route forward the second the team retains possession which is a defensive attribute that shouldn't be underrated.

For a solid unit to perform at their best they need a great goalkeeper behind them and leading our defensive line is our team captain and legend Gianluigi Buffon. If any goalkeeper in this draft can heighten the performance of his defense it is him.

Ahead of him he has one of the greatest left backs of all time, Bixente Lizarazu, the great stopper Carlos Gamarra next to Mr. Reliable Miranda from Atletico's great 4-4-2 and on the right we have Jörg Heinrich from Dortmunds CL winning side. He's playing in the role he played for Germany in 1998 where none other than Berti Vogts played him as a right back for them.

prath92

I would have to say OneNil. Seems a perfect team frankly. Top CBs, reliable full backs (both sides of the pitch), excellent DM with passing skills and pace, good midfielders (one a box to box one and an AM) two wing forwards and a top striker. Keeper seems to be inferior but I admit I don't know much about him.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Onenil team is well balanced. Nothing really pops up except for Litmanen in that role? Thought he didn't like playing left wing. His best was a AM/SS hybrid position in the middle.

Love Skizzo's team. That left flank vs Maicon will be a bid advantage. Would have preferred someone other than Guardiola tbh, but Simeone is a good balance.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Cant remember when was the last time i voted against skizzo and it seems its that time :(
Onenill built a very nice team even though i dont rate Caniggia and in a close encounter the thing that made my decision final was Cavani who i rate even less then Caniggia. In a game where wont be many chances you cant afford a donkey leading your line....
Onenill has the numbers in midfield and with Pep playing deep and Simeone's lack of quality on the ball both Mendieta and Marchisio will have time to help out their fullbacks(both fantastic) and helping Mascherano who can focus only on Dinho. On the break i can see onenill scoring with Drogba being to much for Gamarra and Miranda.

Enigma_87

You know who
Cant remember when was the last time i voted against skizzo and it seems its that time :(
Onenill built a very nice team even though i dont rate Caniggia and in a close encounter the thing that made my decision final was Cavani who i rate even less then Caniggia. In a game where wont be many chances you cant afford a donkey leading your line....
Onenill has the numbers in midfield and with Pep playing deep and Simeone's lack of quality on the ball both Mendieta and Marchisio will have time to help out their fullbacks(both fantastic) and helping Mascherano who can focus only on Dinho. On the break i can see onenill scoring with Drogba being to much for Gamarra and Miranda.
Aye, my thoughts in a tight encounter like this.

Haven't voted yet but Cavani leading the line against excellent onenil defence is a big put off for me.

To be honest I like Skizzo/Annah team better and it's an excellent attempt at 4-4-1-1. Guardiola/Simeone is a good balanced duo with Ronnie in free role and excellent flanks with Giggs and Robben. The defense could be improved (Miranda, Heinrich) but put Drogba instead of Cavani and would be a winner for me.

Will wait for the discussion between the managers before casting the vote tho.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I have brief time to tell some stories of how my team will work together.

Direct Counters

Maldini can handle Ronaldo fenomeno and spark a counter

Marchisio can take the ball from Paolo and feed Drogba quickly

Drogba can finish off many different counter attacks

DIRECT LEFT ROUTE

Mascherano can intercept and launch a counter

Marchisio takes Masch's pass and sends it to Litmanen on the inside left

Litmanen finishes from the inside left channel

RIGHT FLANK ROUTE

Ferdinand can win the ball at the last minute on the right, brings it up to Mendieta

Mendieta springs a counter to Drogba

Drogba finishes long ball from Mendieta

QUICK CANIGGIA COUNTER

Caniggia can break at any moment sparking lightning fast counters

Litmanen sneaks in a header from the far post unsuspected

LEFT FLANK ROUTE

Maldini stifles opposition and passes for quick counters

Litmanen takes Maldini's pass and crosses into Drogba

Drogba powers home Litmanen's cross

Annahnomoss

Aye, my thoughts in a tight encounter like this.

Haven't voted yet but Cavani leading the line against excellent onenil defence is a big put off for me.

To be honest I like Skizzo/Annah team better and it's an excellent attempt at 4-4-1-1. Guardiola/Simeone is a good balanced duo with Ronnie in free role and excellent flanks with Giggs and Robben. The defense could be improved (Miranda, Heinrich) but put Drogba instead of Cavani and would be a winner for me.

Will wait for the discussion between the managers before casting the vote tho.
While Cavani doesn't come close to Drogba in terms of link up play and creating chances for his team he does however provide a bigger goalthreat(Especially as we face Baia while Drogba has Buffon to beat). Robben and Ronaldinho at their peak were more frequent goal scorers than Drogba in his average Chelsea season so we have some great goal threat spread out. I think our left side is an all time worthy flank where Giggs is one of the best left sided midfielders ever and Lizarazu is one of the best left backs, the sheer quality from that side is up against a fairly weak Maicon-Caniggia in comparison.

With Ronaldinho up against Mascherano who doesn't have the physical abilities to deal with Ronaldinho and any time Ronaldinho is one his Joga bonito runs I'd be scared no matter which defense I had. Robben and Heinrich offers a well balanced right wing for us and Litmanen as great as he was is better of centrally here and they'll mainly line up against Maldini which is a decent match up for them. Considering he has to provide width and so much to their offense that Robben will have moments on the counter to run at Montero with Ronaldinho linking up with him and Cavani making the lines behind the defense.

I see him needing to move up players to have a real threat against us as until Maldini pushes forward to the corner flag he lacks the width to stretch us apart and everything comes in the central areas. So we will have a lot of opportunities to attack on the counter with Ronaldinho/Robben/Giggs being a scary trio to deal with.

Last edited:

Annahnomoss

Our captain Buffon hasn't been taken much in to account yet but he will have a bigger impact here than Baia will. Both in terms of leading our defense, plucking balls out of the air and in terms of shot stopping. Gamarra is an excellent centre back to face Drogba as well. Aggressive, responsive and always in your face with precise tackles and he won't shy down to a physical battle. While Miranda has great pace to clean up any danger behind Gamarra before it leads to something. Both are good in the air as well and even if Drogba has an advantage there against basically anybody we still have Buffon who was comfortable in terms of dealing with crosses.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
A strange left wing for onenil. An arrow on Maldini and no arrow on Maicon feels wrong. And Litmanen on the left doesn't sit well with me too, even with a freedom to move around - here he will be expected to provide supplementary width while he should be exploiting every gap that appears in Skizzo's back line with his amazing movement.

In fact, Litmanen and Ronaldinho should've traded places :)

A lot to like in Skizzannah team too. Cavani's supposed weakness gets overstated, imo, and Giggs, Dinho and Robben are threatening enough to create a few goals even without Cavani's active contribution

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Cavani's supposed weakness gets overstated, imo
Can’t agree with that. He looks (clearly) underwhelming.

I can buy him in a certain kind of constellation. Not here, though. He’s the spearhead of the attack, and he’s a mediocre one on this dance floor.

Still, if you want to do 1-1 comparisons, Annah has a point. Baia looks even more like a kid compared to Buffon than Cavani does to Drogba. *

But it’s essentially the same thing, I suppose. Competent player compared to a real player, someone who can actually make a difference in a match like this.

* Arguably. I would add. It's more to do with the fact that Buffon is immense on an all-time scale, someone you could claim is the greatest keeper ever (I wouldn't, necessarily, but you could, using certain arguments). Drogba obviously isn't in a comparable category, but he still is clearly above Cavani as a player on the highest level.

Last edited:

Skizzo

Comparing Cavani and Drogba won't accomplish much, so I won't bother. Drogue has a great record, especially in big games as @oneniltothearsenal mentions, but his biggest advantages of his strength and ability in the air are rather negated slightly against Miranda/Gamarra. His supporting cast of Litmanen and Caniggia are good players, but not at that highest level when comparing them to the threat on the opposite side of the field.

Giggs up against Maicon on his own would be a battle in our favour, especially as Maicon is expected to work as a "one man flank", he'd leave plenty of space for Giggs to exploit with his talents. His longevity almost counts against him sometimes as people remember him in central midfield, or after he'd lost his turn of pace...but at his peak, there's not many who would stop him in full pomp, and I'd argue Maicon wouldn't be up to the task.

And I'm glad he hasn't been completely forgotten, as some people have mentioned his extreme talents in one of the other current threads around here

If you watched Giggs in real-time in the 90's, I'd say this post is disingenuous because you've not taken into account that in the 90's, a left winger, was just that, a left winger. A left-sided midfielder or attacker, as seen in Italy and Brazil at the time, was not going to do the job of a left winger, and vice-versa. In other words, compare apples with apples, not oranges, and the picture of Giggs' standing during that era becomes much clearer.

In a flat 4-4-2, none of those players are going to give a side what Giggs did, equally, you put Giggs in a LAM or LWF role and his returns would diminish massively. For two-way, support-the-full-back, join the attack, isolate a man or pairing and beat them and breach a like-for-like set-up repeatedly, Giggs quickly rises to the top of the pile and is comfortably in contention as one of the best ever at doing that - on a worldwide, all-time scale.

I feel the Giggs people talk about these days is a conflation of two incarnations, and as such, the younger, dynamic actual winger Giggs gets significantly short-changed. Giggs' brilliance as an actual left winger can readily be isolated with longevity completely stripped from the equation, as his body of work as an actual winger, and the players he went up against being all-time legends themselves, holds up to scrutiny without the second portion of his career needing to be mentioned.

Incidentally, Figo was much better on the right and was often paired with Giggs in seasons' best teams of the 90's.
Amongst wingers expected to do a balanced job dutifully and not leave a leaky side of the pitch or need accommodating to perform, Giggs comfortably sits in the top bracket of all-time in the role.
Nedved wasn't as good as Giggs on the left, imo, and I believe he had less defensive duties than Giggs had. Ronaldo played in a 4-4-2, but he was given freedom to focus in attack to a much greater extent and was rarely used as a left winger in a 4-4-2.

Ronaldinho is the most skilled footballer I've seen, but Giggs actually wasn't far behind. Imo, he was more skilled than Ronaldo at dribbling and going past players, but Ronaldo was always much more effective and arguably more direct. I do wonder, at times, how good Giggs would have been in a modern 4-3-3 on the left or even cutting in from the right. He was even faster than Ronaldo at his fastest, and more agile too boot, but he was more inconsistent. I believe, however, that wingers in the old 4-4-2 were almost destined to be more inconsistent as they were expected to dribble past their opponents to a greater extent and whip in a cross.

I agree that as an out and out winger, there have been few better than Giggs on that left side.
In a 4-4-2 Ronaldinho will most probably be the second striker not part of the midfield.

If we bought him at the time(even Ronaldo as well, although it was either or as we already got Rooney and Ronaldo was our Dinho "replacement") I think we'd field something like this:

---------------RvN--------------
------Ronaldinho-----------------
Giggs---Keane--Scholes---Ronaldo

Isn't it infuriating seeing his name on this?

Like you say, people have short memories and don't understand how good he was. If you put prime Giggs in the current United team, he'd be far and away our best player.

(4 assists in the 7-1 win over Roma as well)

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
A strange left wing for onenil. An arrow on Maldini and no arrow on Maicon feels wrong. And Litmanen on the left doesn't sit well with me too, even with a freedom to move around - here he will be expected to provide supplementary width while he should be exploiting every gap that appears in Skizzo's back line with his amazing movement.

In fact, Litmanen and Ronaldinho should've traded places :)

A lot to like in Skizzannah team too. Cavani's supposed weakness gets overstated, imo, and Giggs, Dinho and Robben are threatening enough to create a few goals even without Cavani's active contribution
I meant an arrow for Maicon but it was very late last night when I was submitting. Also Litmanen will be probing every gap, just sometimes he supports on the left as I told in my pictures story, he is perfectly capable of doing what he did in my pictures :)

Skizzo

I can buy him in a certain kind of constellation. Not here, though. He’s the spearhead of the attack, and he’s a mediocre one on this dance floor.

Still, if you want to do 1-1 comparisons, Annah has a point. Baia looks even more like a kid compared to Buffon than Cavani does to Drogba.

But it’s essentially the same thing, I suppose. Competent player compared to a real player, someone who can actually make a difference in a match like this.
The difference being that Cavani's movement opens up chances for himself, and also for the trio behind him to exploit. Sum of the parts kind of deal, rather than expecting him to make the one man difference here as a R9 or a Messi. Plus his work rate from the front on the defensive end means he can pressure hard when Ferdinand looks to play out of the back.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Giggs up against Maicon on his own would be a battle in our favour, especially as Maicon is expected to work as a "one man flank",
I don't think you read my initial tactic very well to say this. Your comment is misleading so let me quote my tactic again:

"Maldini and Maicon are in the optimal element here. Both in their peaks could be one man flanks controlling play. They have the proper support to do that here. Each side CM, Mendieta and Marchisio, are perfect to support the full backs in both offense and defense. With the trio of Mascherano-Ferdinand-Montero forming a triangle of death for opposing forwards and midfielders, Maldini and Maicon with the assistance of Mendietta and Marchisio will give their opponents flanks hell."

Still, if you want to do 1-1 comparisons, Annah has a point. Baia looks even more like a kid compared to Buffon than Cavani does to Drogba.

Baia was the best European Keeper in 2004, had a great Euroes, had other great years throughout the 1990s and while he is not the highest tier of keeper in this draft, he can certainly stop the few shots that are coming his way. The other team has to actually create decent chances which I just don't envision happening here.

Skizzo

I don't think you read my initial tactic very well to say this. Your comment is misleading so let me quote my tactic again:

"Maldini and Maicon are in the optimal element here. Both in their peaks could be one man flanks controlling play. They have the proper support to do that here. Each side CM, Mendieta and Marchisio, are perfect to support the full backs in both offense and defense. With the trio of Mascherano-Ferdinand-Montero forming a triangle of death for opposing forwards and midfielders, Maldini and Maicon with the assistance of Mendietta and Marchisio will give their opponents flanks hell."
How was it misleading to say Maicon is expected to be a one man flank controlling play, when you say yourself he has the proper support to do that here? I didn't make anything up, I went exactly off what you said.

"Maicon could be a one man flank controlling play...and he has the support to do just that here"

Unless you mean that he'll be covered by your midfielders moving over? Which is fine, because if they move out of the midfield to cover him bursting forward, it means more space for Ronaldinho, Guardiola etc.

None of what I said was intended to be disingenuous, I'm just going off what you yourself said.

And Mascherano-Ferdinand-Montero isn't quite the imposing Triangle of Death that you make it sound like when Ronaldinho is probing around with Cavani's movement ahead around the box, and Giggs and Robben stretching the play wide.

Honestly, I don't think having Maicon try and work the flank against Giggs and Lizarazu would be in your best interest at all.

and good luck by the way! before we get in to too much swinging of the handbags and purses :)

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
How was it misleading to say Maicon is expected to be a one man flank controlling play, when you say yourself he has the proper support to do that here? I didn't make anything up, I went exactly off what you said.

"Maicon could be a one man flank controlling play...and he has the support to do just that here"
What you said is misleading because you are very clearly taking things out of context and trying to argue against things that are not happening. If you take a 2 second look at my tactic image you can see quite clearly that Maicon is not even a one man flank at all. Caniggia is very clearly placed on that flank in front of him in the fecking tactic so just stop making things up. I am sure you know Mendieta's playstyle well enough to know he will be supporting that flank.

Also I am honestly not sure if you just don't understand or you are being intentionally misleading for gamesmanship. If you take everything into context , I was obviously saying that Maicon has the ability to be a one man flank but he has plenty of support here so its not even close to him being isolated by himself.

And I realize you are desperately trying to focus on that flank as you are much weaker on the opposite flank and in the center, losing the midfield battle to me. You have a CF who misses sitters in important matches, your 442 midfielders won't be able to control the midfield. I really don't see your team even creating many chances let alone good chances.

Skizzo

What you said is misleading because you are very clearly taking things out of context and trying to argue against things that are not happening. If you take a 2 second look at my tactic image you can see quite clearly that Maicon is not even a one man flank at all. Caniggia is very clearly placed on that flank in front of him in the fecking tactic so just stop making things up. I am sure you know Mendieta's playstyle well enough to know he will be supporting that flank.

Also I am honestly not sure if you just don't understand or you are being intentionally misleading for gamesmanship. If you take everything into context , I was obviously saying that Maicon has the ability to be a one man flank but he has plenty of support here so its not even close to him being isolated by himself.

And I realize you are desperately trying to focus on that flank as you are much weaker on the opposite flank and in the center, losing the midfield battle to me. You have a CF who misses sitters in important matches, your 442 midfielders won't be able to control the midfield. I really don't see your team even creating many chances let alone good chances.
I told you what I said and why I said it. Not sure what else confused you about that mate :)

I'm not getting into the kind of match your ending comments lead towards though. I haven't done anything intentionally disingenuous, and made comments on what you said in your OP.

If you want to come back and say our team with Ronaldinho, Giggs, and Robben, being supported by Lizarazu and Guardiola will struggle to "create many chances, let alone good ones" then it's not even worth responding to your posts.

I'm not "desperately trying" to do anything, other than understand some of your overreactions to my previous comments.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I told you what I said and why I said it. Not sure what else confused you about that mate :)

I'm not getting into the kind of match your ending comments lead towards though. I haven't done anything intentionally disingenuous, and made comments on what you said in your OP.

If you want to come back and say our team with Ronaldinho, Giggs, and Robben, being supported by Lizarazu and Guardiola will struggle to "create many chances, let alone good ones" then it's not even worth responding to your posts.

I'm not "desperately trying" to do anything, other than understand some of your overreactions to my previous comments.
You cut out one phrase from the first post and took it completely out of context to try to argue an imaginary point when just a 2 second glance at the image would confirm your comment is taken out of context. and there are two sides in match. I am quite confident of my defense of Maldini, Montero, Ferdinand, Maicon with Mascherano, Marchisio and Mendieta in front playing solid team defense will very much limit the impact of your players.

Skizzo

You cut out one phrase from the first post and took it completely out of context to try to argue an imaginary point when just a 2 second glance at the image would confirm your comment is taken out of context. and there are two sides in match. I am quite confident of my defense of Maldini, Montero, Ferdinand, Maicon with Mascherano, Marchisio and Mendieta in front playing solid team defense will very much limit the impact of your players.

You have Caniggia positioned up on the corner of the penalty box, and mention nothing else about him in the OP other than that he's blazing quick.

Apologies for not reading your mind and understanding what you would have him do :)

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I don't think either team looks as slick as they did in R1. Skannah need more left-sided wide players, they've only 5 in their starting xi. For one nil, I don't understand why he doesn't go for a straight 41212 with Litmanen playing through the middle.

harms

Staff

Well, while there can be questions about his actual level (he was genuinely one of the world's best forwards at Napoli, especially last season; and it's hard to look past him this season too - despite some horrorshows he scored 23 goals in 22 games so far, including 6 in 6 in CL), his skillset - amazing movement, work ethics, athletic ability, selflessness - will make him a great foil for that Giggs - Dinho - Robben unit, which is pretty lethal on its own. Even though he clearly has some issues with his finishing and mentality after playing with Ibra (he is a bully :devil:)

edit: plus 8 goals in 9 games for Uruguay in WC qualification (top scorer in the SA qualification, obviously), including goals against Chile and Brazil

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I don't think either team looks as slick as they did in R1. Skannah need more left-sided wide players, they've only 5 in their starting xi. For one nil, I don't understand why he doesn't go for a straight 41212 with Litmanen playing through the middle.
Mostly because I wanted Litmanen to take advantage of Heinrich on the right for first 30 mins. If you look at the gif stories of plays I imagine for my team, the Litmanen goal from the inside-left channel is what I can see happening to Heinrich here. Heinrich sat off Jarni in the quarterfinal of World Cup 98 allowing Jarni to score a long shot similar in ways to the long distance shot Litmanen scores in that clip. I think Litmanen can take advantage of that. and exploit that inside left channel as in my clips against Heinrich who was more natural on the other side.

I was inspired by @Downcast and @DavidG switching formations tactically and I wanted Litmanen to probe against Heinrich to begin the match as that seemed like a mismatch to me. He isn't trying to be a winger just do things like attack the space to make shots like he did in that clip which Heinrich has shown troubles defending against like that Croatia-Germany match.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Don't think either teams are tactically spot on. Onenil's forward arrow on Maldini and Maicon in a defensive role, I understand why he would do that but I don't think his team is playing in an optimal manner. Marchisio and Mendieta, it is not a mind-blowing midfield for me .. I like Mendieta more as a right midfielder but here the midfield lacks a game controller for me. Was recently watching video's of Mendieta and he's very direct but not really a keep ball type of player and that midfield would struggle to control the tempo imo.

Litmanen and Caniggia out wide, it doesn't come close to the quality of the width on the other side for me.

Then skizzo's side, once again we have Cavani up top, how has that not been upgraded and he has no chance of scoring past a Ferdinand/Montero backline. I also don't like Ronaldinho as a second striker, he was better from the left and I can't recall when he has played exclusively as a 10 and thrived.. feel free to give me examples where he has and thrived.

Guardiola in a 2 man midfield again isn't optimal, he doesn't really cover the pitch enough to make that work and the centre-back pairing is not great either.. Drogba would back himself in peak form to give them alot of trouble.

Tough to call for me.

harms

Staff
Mostly because I wanted Litmanen to take advantage of Heinrich on the right for first 30 mins. If you look at the gif stories of plays I imagine for my team, the Litmanen goal from the inside-left channel is what I can see happening to Heinrich here. Heinrich sat off Jarni in the quarterfinal of World Cup 98 allowing Jarni to score a long shot similar in ways to the long distance shot Litmanen scores in that clip. I think Litmanen in the first 30 minutes can take advantage of that. and exploit that inside left channel as in my clips against Heinrich who was more natural on the other side.
Pretty sure that hinting on an injury isn't allowed (or it shouldn't be, at least) I guess you aren't

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Don't think either teams are tactically spot on. Onenil's forward arrow on Maldini and Maicon in a defensive role, I understand why he would do that but I don't think his team is playing in an optimal manner. Marchisio and Mendieta, it is not a mind-blowing midfield for me .. I like Mendieta more as a right midfielder but here the midfield lacks a game controller for me. Was recently watching video's of Mendieta and he's very direct but not really a keep ball type of player and that midfield would struggle to control the tempo imo.

Litmanen and Caniggia out wide, it doesn't come close to the quality of the width on the other side for me.

Then skizzo's side, once again we have Cavani up top, how has that not been upgraded and he has no chance of scoring past a Ferdinand/Montero backline. I also don't like Ronaldinho as a second striker, he was better from the left and I can't recall when he has played exclusively as a 10 and thrived.. feel free to give me examples where he has and thrived.

Guardiola in a 2 man midfield again isn't optimal, he doesn't really cover the pitch enough to make that work and the centre-back pairing is not great either.. Drogba would back himself in peak form to give them alot of trouble.

Tough to call for me.
Don't think of it as a pristine draft with perfect line-ups, but because of injuries and no mates rule, its more like a real gritty WC quarterfinal match where both teams have to deal with suboptimal situations. Also Maicon is not intended to solely be in a defensive role. I will submit an updated formation to correct some errors and expand on what I envision my team playing.

Skizzo

Tough to call for me.
Cavani up top is there as a foil for the three behind him. Obviously he's not in that upper tier of strikers, but he works hard and presses from the front, runs the channel, and gives a physical presence for the attackers behind to operate in.

Ronaldinho isn't a second striker as much as operating in that entire final third. Given free reign to operate in open space, he can drift wide right with Robben cutting in, or if Giggs pushes down to the byline, he can drift left and fall in behind him.

Guardiola I agree that he isn't a lung busting box to box type, and he won't be pushing up to the edge of the box or hounding anyone all over the field, but he's in a deep lying midfield role, looking for overlaps on that side with Giggs and Lizarazu, cross field balls to Robben, or finding the feet of Ronaldinho to turn towards goal. Plus, without an AM, he wouldn't have anyone to track in behind him here anyway, he can keep the play ahead of him.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Don't think of it as a pristine draft with perfect line-ups, but because of injuries and no mates rule, its more like a real gritty WC quarterfinal match where both teams have to deal with suboptimal situations. Also Maicon is not intended to solely be in a defensive role. I will submit an updated formation to correct some errors and expand on what I envision my team playing.
Understand that but seeing teams like Viva and EAP go out - which was an incredible side (bar the CB pairing), like the tactical standard by this stage especially with you two managing who I rate so highly, it should be that tad more spot on.

Yeah I don't think your team is that miles off, a few tweaks and it could look like a winner here. What I will say is the winner of this game, is well set because you have some incredible strengths and another two upgrades and you could be favourites for the draft.

harms

Staff
I'm sure that our fellow Irishmen will support me here - that cheeky bastard Henry, suspiciously chilling near the corner flag, is definitely capable of doing something like this:

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Cavani up top is there as a foil for the three behind him. Obviously he's not in that upper tier of strikers, but he works hard and presses from the front, runs the channel, and gives a physical presence for the attackers behind to operate in.

Ronaldinho isn't a second striker as much as operating in that entire final third. Given free reign to operate in open space, he can drift wide right with Robben cutting in, or if Giggs pushes down to the byline, he can drift left and fall in behind him.

Guardiola I agree that he isn't a lung busting box to box type, and he won't be pushing up to the edge of the box or hounding anyone all over the field, but he's in a deep lying midfield role, looking for overlaps on that side with Giggs and Lizarazu, cross field balls to Robben, or finding the feet of Ronaldinho to turn towards goal. Plus, without an AM, he wouldn't have anyone to track in behind him here anyway, he can keep the play ahead of him.
Well I still think overall you have too much firepower for him, and funnily enough it is the thought of Ronaldinho taking on Mascherano in a team which is already stretched from trying to stop all the wide threat.. which made me think, he could edge this game for you.

Giggs at his peak, would be a bad match up for Maicon. I was recently watching our 99 game v Inter and Zanetti was really struggling against Giggs, his pace was incredible.. peak Maicon would struggle against Giggs.

Skizzo

Well I still think overall you have too much firepower for him, and funnily enough it is the thought of Ronaldinho taking on Mascherano in a team which is already stretched from trying to stop all the wide threat.. which made me think, he could edge this game for you.

Giggs at his peak, would be a bad match up for Maicon. I was recently watching our 99 game v Inter and Zanetti was really struggling against Giggs, his pace was incredible.. peak Maicon would struggle against Giggs.
Yeah peak Giggs was lightening and I think that's often forgotten since he was here for so long and played so many different roles, but his ability on the ball and his pace would keep any defender on the back foot.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
You have Caniggia positioned up on the corner of the penalty box, and mention nothing else about him in the OP other than that he's blazing quick.
Original Post said:
Caniggia offers blazing pace, incisive counter attacks and the ability to stretch the pitch on that flank to the maximum."

Injury update - 30 min

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Robben is injured for Skizzanohmmos and replaced by Cazorla

Cazorla comes in and makes it a 3 man midfield, with the little Spaniard looking to help control the midfield with Guardiola, and burst forward in attack and find the runs of Ronaldinho and Giggs.

Ronaldinho moves to the left flank, looking to terrorize his fellow Brazilian and cut inside to threaten. Giggs moves to the right wing in an experimental role where he will look to turn the legendary Maldini inside and out with his pace and tricks, and now able to cut inside on his sweet left foot.

Giggs and Ronaldinho have free reign to switch flanks and take turns on the opposing full backs as they see fit. Also with Cazorla able to pop up in between the lines, and move to the left flank, it allows Ronaldinho to attack through the middle when gaps open too.

Guardiola drops back into his favoured DM role with the hard working pair of Simeone and Cazorla ahead of him, also allowing him to get a firmer grip on the game, and influence it more as he see's fit.

No injury for onenil

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
The most out of position player on the pitch is Heinrich. In a very important quarterfinal match of WC98 against Croatia, Heinrich set back and allowed Jarni to score this goal:

I highlight this because Litmanen can take advantage of that against Heinrich as he did here:

harms

Staff
Robben is a huge blow for Skizzannah, probably the deciding one.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
The other key is both Drogba and Litmanen can press. Litmanen might not like it but he did it when required. Caniggia however is always to remain as an outlet for situational interceptions and quick counters like this:

[/COUNTER]

Skizzo

The most out of position player on the pitch is Heinrich. In a very important quarterfinal match of WC98 against Croatia, Heinrich set back and allowed Jarni to score this goal:

I highlight this because Litmanen can take advantage of that against Heinrich as he did here:

Or Maicon against the best attacking player in the pitch.

Maicon tried to stop Bale, and was torn apart all game

I highlight that because Ronaldinho could do..well, anything really :P