Surveillance Draft - QF- oneniltothearsenal vs Skizzahnomoss

Who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skizzo

Robben is a huge blow for Skizzannah, probably the deciding one.
Yeah, the poor fella pulled up with a hamstring injury. Tough loss, but, it allows us to shuffle the pack and control the midfield a little more, and we still have the outlets wide to stretch the defence where we can.

Last edited:

Skizzo

Not really a fan of changes by Skizzahnomoss. I'd rather swap Robben straight with Cazorla and play a lopsided 442.
Contemplated it, but Cazorla on the right wing wouldn't offer much up against Maldini. With the swap, we drop Guardiola into his preferred position, get the bodies in midfield with Santi able to help control it better, and have Ronaldinho and Giggs to work the full backs.

A 442 with Cazorla wide right just seemed a bit flat. Having him in the thick of things against a far from top tier midfield means we can wrestle control back there and explode forward quickly with our front players.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
The biggest mismatch on pitch is still the emergency flank of skizzannah.

They have a left back playing right back whose weaknesses there have already been highlighted by Jarni's goal which a number of my players could reproduce against Heinrich here. And whoever ends up on right flank is a left winger playing right wing against the best LB of all time. This is a big weakness for the opposition, especially considering they do not have the center in control either. Cazorla doesn't really complement a Guardiola-Simeone midfield very well and our diamond here will maintain midfield dominance plus exert pressure on that flank with both players out of position.

Whether against Giggs or Ronaldinho,

Maldini can calmly intercept

Or time a genius tackle

Litmanen can cut through the middle here and set up Drogba:

Drogba can always finishes cooly in the box when the pressure is on especially against these CBs

Enigma_87

You know who
Not really a fan of changes by Skizzahnomoss. I'd rather swap Robben straight with Cazorla and play a lopsided 442.
Aye, this is the best option for me as well.

Robben was a huge blow for Skizzo/annah. Was on the fence initially but with that injury I'm leaning towards onenil at the moment.

Then again there are the 60th mins injuries so let's see how it goes, but those changes doesn't sit well with me (Giggs on the right and Simeone/Guardiola/Cazorla in the middle).

Annahnomoss

The left side with Ronaldinho and Lizarazu is still strong and even if Giggs isn't in a optimal position after the injury he'll do the job for the team. He will have the freedom to break through the middle and use his incisive dribbling on the counter. Believe!

Annahnomoss

The hunt for the comeback is still on as the game comes to an end. We wouldn't have had it any other way. Giggs and Ronaldinho giving it their all just looking for one moments of greatness to bring this home.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
The opponents have THREE players out of position and/or in suboptimal situations. Its time to press the advantage.

Marchisio offers classy defense, ball retention and smart passing

Mendieta Launches a Counter

Drogba can finish from Mendieta, Marchisio, Maldini, Maicon, Litmanen passes

Skizzo

I'm still struggling to see how Ronaldinho is being stopped from running riot here. Maicon is in for an absolutely nightmare against him (and that's not even contemplating the fact that Lizarazu would be backing him up)

For all the talk of weak sides and mismatch here and there...Ronaldinho and Lizarazu up against Maicon is the standout. Ronaldinho without Lizarazu would still be fairly brutal a match for the full back, but with the frenchman, it swings heavily in our favour.

*Insert gif of Ronaldinho scoring from outside the box*

Injury update - 60 min

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Montero is injured for onenil and replaced by Henry:

The injury change works well in our advantage. Right now the entire right flank of the opponents has players out of position. Giggs/Dinho left winger playing on the right vs. the best LB of all time. And Heinrich showed some major flaws when played out of position on the right by Germany in 1998 in their 0-3 loss to Croatia.

Additionally there is the Cazorla conundrum. He doesn’t really complement Guardiola very well. Also, his best form at CM is in the last year or two when he has lost a lot of pace but plays as a deep lying playmaker with ball retention and passing. That version of Cazorla is not going to be decisive out on the wings as a playmaking wide AM at all.

Being able to bring in Henry maximizes this tactical advantage for my team. A fresh Henry running full speed at an out of position and tired Heinrich. Even at 34, on loan for Arsenal in 2012, Henry scored game winning goals. For the last part of the match, Henry is going to be Heinrich’s worst nightmare. While Maldini can handle whichever out of position player is on that side.

No injury for skizzahnomoss

Tactical change (skizzahnomoss) - 60min

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Tactical change for skizzahnomoss:

Our final tweak. No substitutions, but Giggs and Lizarazu move back to dominate their left flank as they did early in the match. Ronaldinho takes up his free role behind the striker to occupy the central area, and move wide as he see's fit to find space and start his runs. Cazorla sits wide right and looks to link play, and offer an outlet.

Guardiola and Simeone marshal the midfield, Guardiola will look to sit in deep when on defense, and look to launch us forward quickly to any of Lizarazu, Ronaldinho, Giggs, or Cazorla. Our wingers will spread play and find space to exploit, and ultimately, win the game.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
We play zonal defense with a team defense ethos to limit space and time on the ball. We will press that advantage. No defender is operating on their own. This isn’t old school man marking isolations. This is team defense.

The biggest mismatch is Heinrich + Cazorla flank trying to stop Henry and Maldini.

Henry can create for Drogba

or score the match winner on his own

Skizzo

This works out well in our favour now. Giggs is back terrorizing Maicon, stretching the defense...but most of all, and the deciding factor here...

Ronaldinho is free.

No Mascherano to hound him, as he needs to cover for Maicon...the Brazilian has free reign to operate.

Or he could enjoy the open space he'd now have and get the ball on the dribble

And oh look, there's even Maldini in the background here standing off while Ronaldinho tears past the defense and rips a shot off into the back of the net. Guess that means Maldini would stand off in this game and let the same happen

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Why did you put Mascherano on the right of Rio, @oneniltothearsenal ? Doesn't make sense to have two your best defenders on Cazorla's flank while Giggs/Lizarazu and Ronaldinho will be against relatively underwhelming pairing of Mascherano and Maicon.

You should swap your center backs, imo

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm surprised about the result. I thought that Skizzo's had the better gameplan and players to support it.

It also explain why I'd never win these drafts tingy.

Last edited:

Annahnomoss

I'm surprised about the result. I thought that Skizzo's had the better gameplan and players to support it.

It also explain why I'd never win these drafts tingy.
The injuries take their toll! I think Onenil was a comfortable winner after the injuries to be fair.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I thought it would have been tighter and both teams for me were in the small handful of strongest teams from the first round.

Annahnomoss

I thought it would have been tighter and both teams for me were in the small handful of strongest teams from the first round.
Means a lot mate! We had no comments on the team for the entire draft so I thought we'd be received a lot harder than that.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
The injuries take their toll! I think Onenil was a comfortable winner after the injuries to be fair.
I wasn't online during the match but reading back now that injury was just brutal. You'd have narrowly had my vote before then - I don't rate Cavani that highly but I think he was a good fit here as the hard-running, facilitating centre forward, and while the overall setup was cavalier I think Giggs' workrate would have went a long way towards making it work. In possession Guardiola/Giggs/Robben/Ronaldinho is just :drool:

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Good game @Skizzo @Annahnomoss , sorry for the delay been swamped

Tough luck on the injuries and no maters rule. That R1 squad with Guardiola-Simeone-Baraja was wonderful.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
A very interesting game in the sense there are many players who usually shone in different tactical systems. So, it requires more imagination and openness.

Regarding the onenil side, I appreciate your 'tactical coup' in the first 30 minutes (litmanen vs heinrich) even if Henry would have been a more obvious choice on the left imo. Henry-Litmanen-Caniggia would have been very good for Litmanen to shine o that the other offensive players can provide width. On the other hand, Drogba is wonderful target man who will create space/opportunities for Litmanen. Then, you made a tactical change more conventional with a potential lean to the right.

Then, I understand Robben was injured: the team remains offensively powerful but now the Cavani-reliance is higher.

I'm rather fan of his changes despite the fact it's maybe suboptimal to play with Giggs as a RW. Cazorla on the right is a more controversial choice.

Ronaldinho as No. 10
Sure, Ronaldinho can shine in any positions but I understand he was deployed as a support striker at the start of the game. Not easy to combine with Cavani. PSG tried a 4-4-2 with Cavani & Zlatan and it was a failure. On the other hand, Luis Suarez-Cavani seems to work on the whole.

And regarding Cavani:

Translation

Championnat = League
matchs = games
buts = goals
moyenne de but par match = number of goals per game

Cavani is a very controversial player in the sense that he misses a lot of easy chances: this weekend, he scored one goal but missed 2 easy chances.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I was inspired by @Downcast and @DavidG switching formations tactically and I wanted Litmanen to probe against Heinrich to begin the match as that seemed like a mismatch to me. He isn't trying to be a winger just do things like attack the space to make shots like he did in that clip which Heinrich has shown troubles defending against like that Croatia-Germany match.
:angel: