Surveillance Draft - R1- Aldo/Prath vs PatBepo

Who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Aldo/Prath

1. Complete defence - our defence is a complete defence. Two of the best defenders of their generation vidic and Hierro, vidic is a hard tackler with no major weakness. Hierro, while being defensively astute, is exceptionally good on the ball often playing out from the back. Srna is defensively sound balanced full back and montero is a hard full back to get past known for his hard tackling and defence. Julio Cesar also has been top draw sweeper keeper in his prime with no major weakness.

2. Strong midfield - Sousa is a top class DM with excellent ball playing skills, defensive ability and vision to play that role to perfection. Boban is a hardworking player who is defensively solid yet creatively excellent, a good choice to play as a deep lying playmaker, a role he often played with Milan as well. Deco plays the advanced midfielder of the 3 with excellent vision and stamina

3. Excellent attack - Rivaldo Totti Ljungberg play a fluid front 3, often interchanging positions (along with Deco as well). Ljungberg's natural tendency though will be to stay out wide but he can come in to chip in with goals (as he has done for Arsenal many times). Rivaldo will look to cut in but will also be able to provide crosses for totti. When Rivaldo goes central deco/Totti will drift out wide and totti will go deeper. Totti is the perfect player for a false 9 excellent at finishing chances (2nd highest scorer in serie a) and creativity. Also defensively solid if called upon. Srna would also support the attack from the wings and to some extent Montero as well.

Why we'll win.

1. Better defence - We admit opposition defence is a very good one however we have two of the best defenders of their time, Vidic and Hierro screening Julio Cesar, again one of the best in his prime, at the goal as a sweeper keeper. Srna is an adept balanced fullback who defensively sound (aerially as well). It's a well balanced unit with little joy down the right side thanks to the brilliance of paolo montero, a top defender of his era.

2. Balanced functioning midfield - Redondo is a top midfielder of course but we believe we have matched his qualities with Sousa to an extent. Boban has got the workrate to play as a midfielder (often employed as one at Milan, including a CL final) and Deco was a key midfielder in Mourinho's Porto and was voted best midfielder that year. Together, its a well oiled midfield with both workrate and attacking creativity all round

3. Fluid attack - Needless to say Figo is a great attacker but we have a fluid front 3 with Totti ljungberg and Rivaldo interchanging positions (with Deco in the mix as well). Ljungberg's tendency would be to stay wide but he is also someone who cuts in and scores goals when required like he did at Arsenal. Srna and Montero also supporting the flanks, with Srna's crossing accuracy and Boban's vision from deep will also be a big factor in attack. Hierro himself is a reliable scorer and can also start off attacks with his near perfect passing. Both ljungberg and totti are also defensively aware making valuable contributions on that front.

Player Name - Player Position - Player Role

Fernando Hierro - Centre Back - Ball Playing CB
Nemanja Vidic - Centre Back - Stopper
Darijo Srna - Right Back - Balanced
Paolo Montero - Left Back - Defensive
Paulo Sousa - Defensive Midfielder - Holding Midfielder
Zvominir Boban - Central Midfielder - All round playmaker
Deco - Attacking Midfielder - Creative AM
Freddie Ljungberg - Right Wing - Goalscoring Wide Player
Rivaldo - Left Wing - Wing Forward (Free Role)
Francesco Totti - Centre Forward - False 9

PatBepo

Formation: 4-3-3
Tactical Overview: Possession-based approach with a moderate-high defensive line

We’ve built our team towards executing a possession-based strategy, centred around our technically brilliant midfield trio of Redondo, Tugay and Gascoigne, and the legendary Luis Figo on the right wing. Redondo and Tugay, with their excellent passing games and near-total comfort in possession in tight spaces, should complement each other beautifully at the base of midfield. Gascoigne and Figo are well-capable of joining in the passing carousel, and will inject the impetus into our attacks with their dribbling and creativity.

Ahead of them, David Villa is a proven master at finding space and providing the cutting edge in possession-based systems. Henrik Larsson, a personal favourite of both Sjor and I, is Villa’s intelligent and clinical foil.

Our defence adopts a moderately high line to support our possession-based strategy and our players look well-suited to the tactic. Lloris is one of the foremost ‘sweeper keepers’ of this generation and is well-versed in this set up. We’re also not unduly concerned about Aldo/Prath’s pace in attack – Rivaldo was quick but not lightning, Totti wasn’t fast, and whilst Ljungberg was rapid we don’t rate his overall quality that highly in this company, and in any case Cole and Boli can live with him in terms of speed. Ferrara and Boli form a strong partnership at CB, with Boli’s pace, power and aggression serving as a nice foil to Ferrrara’s intelligence and organisational skills. Petrescu and Cole are a solid and well-balanced pair of full backs, and that Petrescu/Figo link up on our right wing will cause problems for the opposition.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
The rationale of playing Montero as a left back is pretty obvious. We knew Figo was going to start there and him being the primary attacking threat of the opposition, shutting him down would put a dent on the opposition.

Rest is self explanatory.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The rationale of playing Montero as a left back is pretty obvious. We knew Figo was going to start there and him being the primary attacking threat of the opposition, shutting him down would put a dent on the opposition.
The arrow is what doesn't make sense.

Montero was very good on the ball when he broke through. In fact, I thought he was a bit careless myself (once started doing roulettes on the edge of his own fecking box, in a derby we were 1-0 up :nervous:) but the Italians knocked that out of him in no time.

Minding Figo is a good role for him, but he would stick to that 100%

Moby

Dick
The arrow is what doesn't make sense.

Montero was very good on the ball when he broke through. In fact, I thought he was a bit careless myself (once started doing roulettes on the edge of his own fecking box, in a derby we were 1-0 up :nervous:) but the Italians knocked that out of him in no time. Minding Figo is a good role for him, but he would stick to that 100%
This is the version that I've requested Physio to update with. Change in presentation. Montero's role is written in the OP.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
This is the version that I've requested Physio to update with. Change in presentation. Montero's role is written in the OP.

Infinitely better (the other one with the wrong players, that is)

prath92

Are you sure you aren't making it up as you go along in light of a known injury? :smirk:
Nah. Not really. It was just to show that we also had a keeper who was quick to see dangers and come off his line.

Moby

Dick
Tugay looks really out of place in that midfield. He was a long servant in the PL and had a good career but he's with and against some heavyweights here. It's going to be tough to get the ball from a midfield of Sousa, Boban and Deco with Totti dropping in from time to time, as well as equally it's gonna be tough winning the 'battle' given the amount of incredible tenacity, hard mentality and toughness the likes of Boban and Sousa bring.

Secondly Montero on defensive duties against Figo will be a really tough nut to crack and minimises a lot of that threat. Similarly Hierro and Vidic are a great duo to cope against his crossing from deep and wide areas in the air while they are more than capable of marking Larsson out of the game with all due respect.

On the other hand there doesn't seem to be any similar attention being given to Totti who will take full advantage of the space between the defense and midfield lines there combining with Rivaldo. He's likely to have a rather good game here.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Pat and Sjor at Ewood Park in 09

We assumed that not many will know much about our turkish delight so we decided to bomb you with another gif-attack and unfortunately only 2 match compilations of which one doesnt have all touches :(
Shooting:

Annahnomoss

What a match. Love the way Aldo/Prath set up here and it gets the best of the Rivaldo Totti angle which I thought could be problematic. Sjor and Pat were one of my favorites and they look as good as they should so I will probably wait to see some discussion before I dare to vote.

Šjor Bepo

Technique:

Šjor Bepo

Passing:

Match compilations:
As we took you for a ride through so many GOAT players we think it would be unfair if we leave Fat Frank behind so here you go:drool:

Moby

Dick
feck me, I forgot Bepo is the giflord of drafts.

Not sure if it helps a whole lot here, we have all seen him play loads, he played in the PL to boot not some obscure league and while I get that you wanna give credit to a player who doesnt usually get picked, he's come against an incredibly strong midfield. I respect him, more so for his longevity than quality though. He's a far cry from what he's up against here -

Sousa who won back to back Champions leagues with different clubs at his peak

Boban who won 4 La Ligas, a Champions League, and captained Croatia to a third place spot in the 1998 tournament, where the team was the highlight of the summer.

He's out of his depth here, to be very blunt. Nor is he well suited to partner Redondo. You don't need another passer there.

Šjor Bepo

Looks like Pat isnt here so i will start:nervous:
Love your guys team so if we lose at least we wont go out against the team that i dont rate and that happened quite often in my case at least. Attack is lovely, midfield is good even though i dont really like Boban in possession based teams, he was a bit hit and miss with his passing so i prefer him in counter-attacking teams where that part isnt an issue. Montero on the left is a bit meh, defensively he can pull it off(still think Figo would get the better of him more often then not) but offensively thats an issue because your left side will be a bit narrow so its going to be much "easier" for us to stop Rivaldo(btw love the way you use him). Villa will get the better of Srna im 100% sure, he is a failed winger converted to the fullback so while he is okay against a classic wingers i think inside forward like Villa will get the better of him with his movement, specially as behind he has Vidic who is a stopper not a sweeper.

Šjor Bepo

Not sure if it helps a whole lot here, we have all seen him play loads, he played in the PL to boot not some obscure league and while I get that you wanna give credit to a player who doesnt usually get picked, he's come against an incredibly strong midfield. I respect him, more so for his longevity than quality though. He's a far cry from what he's up against here -

Sousa who won back to back Champions leagues with different clubs at his peak

Boban who won 4 La Ligas, a Champions League, and captained Croatia to a third place spot in the 1998 tournament, where the team was the highlight of the summer.

He's out of his depth here, to be very blunt. Nor is he well suited to partner Redondo. You don't need another passer there.
Irrelevant to your team as i rate all three of your midfielders but there is plenty of good players that didnt get the chance at highest level for some reason just like there is plenty of crap players that get to play for a long time at that level. So saying what some won what some didnt is pretty irrelevant and FWIW Tugay lead Turkey to the third place in the World Cup as well.
Last comment i know you dont believe in what you say, its like me saying why you need Boban, Deco and Totti in the same team. We strongly considered who to pick and we have a player on the bench that has much bigger reputation then Tugay so its not that we didnt have a choice. in our opinion those two would look great together, when one goes up the other stays and that combo can always work when you have two highly intelligent players doing that. They will share defensive duties and Tugay will pretty much form his game over Redondo's- When Redondo drops deep Tugay will have the freedom to go up, when Redondo decides that he wants to go up(which is a big part of his game) he will have Tugay in deep position covering and playmaking from deep.

prath92

The 'failed winger' who got into the champions league team of the season in 10-11, over a prime Alves the year Barca won the CL? Yeah sure. (Part of back 5 of VdS srna-pique-Vidic-Marcelo). He was also voted in team of the Europa league in 15-16. He is actually quite solid defensively and considering he will be up against someone whose instinct would be to cut in most of the time, there wouldn't be a sense of unpredictability that you could get from wingers either.

prath92

Looks like Pat isnt here so i will start:nervous:
Love your guys team so if we lose at least we wont go out against the team that i dont rate and that happened quite often in my case at least. Attack is lovely, midfield is good even though i dont really like Boban in possession based teams, he was a bit hit and miss with his passing so i prefer him in counter-attacking teams where that part isnt an issue. Montero on the left is a bit meh, defensively he can pull it off(still think Figo would get the better of him more often then not) but offensively thats an issue because your left side will be a bit narrow so its going to be much "easier" for us to stop Rivaldo(btw love the way you use him). Villa will get the better of Srna im 100% sure, he is a failed winger converted to the fullback so while he is okay against a classic wingers i think inside forward like Villa will get the better of him with his movement, specially as behind he has Vidic who is a stopper not a sweeper.
Left side isn't narrower, when Rivaldo goes central deco goes up to support him down that flank.

Deleted member 101472

@Pat_Mustard @Šjor Bepo

You need to sell larsson a bit more. He has the best movement I've ever seen in a footballer, and I've seen most of the modern greats in the flesh. Theirry Henry's comments after the champions league final weren't just a fluke, he made the difference in that game and could easily have played at that level his whole career.

Šjor Bepo

The 'failed winger' who got into the champions league team of the season in 10-11, over a prime Alves the year Barca won the CL? Yeah sure. (Part of back 5 of VdS srna-pique-Vidic-Marcelo). He was also voted in team of the Europa league in 15-16. He is actually quite solid defensively and considering he will be up against someone whose instinct would be to cut in most of the time, there wouldn't be a sense of unpredictability that you could get from wingers either.
Failed winger wasnt the criticism of Srna you got it wrong. He started his career as a right winger and then was slowly transformed into a rightback. Against most wingers that isnt an issue but when you are not a natural defender that can be an issue against someone like Villa whos movement off the ball is second to none.