Surveillance Draft - R1- Aldo/Prath vs PatBepo

Who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
@Pat_Mustard @Šjor Bepo

You need to sell larsson a bit more. He has the best movement I've ever seen in a footballer, and I've seen most of the modern greats in the flesh. Theirry Henry's comments after the champions league final weren't just a fluke, he made the difference in that game and could easily have played at that level his whole career.
This

antohan

Re: injuries

Here's the thing: I enter the match thread after a few points have been discussed (important ones, I'd say), I look at the teams, read the OPs, get a fairly clear idea about how this will play out - and then I vote.

As do close to 30 others. How many of those people will come back to check whether anyone's been injured, and then to assess whether said injuries will impact the match to a degree which makes it necessary to change the vote? Dunno. But I probably won't myself - got a pretty busy schedule ahead of me. So - yeah. We'll see how it all turns out but at first glance it looks like the system requires people to a) keep checking back or b) wait until the injuries have been announced before voting. The former isn't practicable in many cases, and the latter simply won't happen (as evidenced by the number of votes already cast).
At worst that lessens the impact of injuries, which is probably a good thing. It seems to me people have a tendency to overreact and will typically end up voting the strongest team at the end, which isn't right either.

antohan

I was just looking for stuff dirt about Larsson and found our first ever exchanges here. :D

Great call.
Fixed for you ;) I've no idea how I won that so comfortably, just kept having the wrong type of player available for reinforcement and ended up with a zillion midfielders and no wingers.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Fixed for you ;) I've no idea how I won that so comfortably, just kept having the wrong type of player available for reinforcement and ended up with a zillion midfielders and no wingers.
Forlan - Zidane - Enrique, not the first time together it seems.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Few more gifs for Larsson, his 2 MOTM moments in CL final and one more goal for Barca where you can see the quality of his movement.....
First goal of Eto'o(playing as inside left) is pretty much a carbon copy of what Villa and Larsson would be capable of together.....
Again one situation we can see happening, Villa moving into the box and occupying defenders(Vidic) while Larsson getting the better of other CB with his movement/timing/jumping etc.

From 1:17

antohan

Forlan - Zidane - Enrique, not the first time together it seems.
Didn't even notice :lol:

That was my first draft, and one thing it taught me was there will always be shit tonnes of excellent #10 to easily slot in.

I went first, got Zidane, and while he evidently pulled votes, it was a fecking nightmare. I picked Lucho in R2, which raised eyebrows, and he was the glue that made various shoehorns look remotely viable.

antohan

Few more gifs for Larsson, his 2 MOTM moments in CL final and one more goal for Barca where you can see the quality of his movement.....
First goal of Eto'o(playing as inside left) is pretty much a carbon copy of what Villa and Larsson would be capable of together.....
Again one situation we can see happening, Villa moving into the box and occupying defenders(Vidic) while Larsson getting the better of other CB with his movement/timing/jumping etc.

From 1:17
Not taking anything away from Larsson, but you'd expect Cristiano to do the same to run down Messi, his Ballon d'Or contender.

Šjor Bepo

Not taking anything away from Larsson, but you'd expect Cristiano to do the same to run down Messi, his Ballon d'Or contender.
Thats fair but the thing is, he was right even though he maybe said it in wrong intentions.

30 Mins Injury- Deco replaced by Klose

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
INJURY TIME
Deco looks shattered, Klose is ready to get in the game. Sub for Aldo/Prath

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
@Pat_Mustard Anything you can sell on Basile Boli? I was hugely excited when we signed the European Cup winning goalscorer, but he didn't do a great deal in a Rangers shirt. Probably didn't help that Walter Smith stuck him out at right-back for much of his first season, so I'm prepared to reserve judgement on that spell of his career.

antohan

Thats fair but the thing is, he was right even though he maybe said it in wrong intentions.
Absolutely, it's just I keep hearing references to that and it's not such a glowing endorsement.

It's safe to say anyone who watched that game and his mini-stint with us will know he was different class.

Šjor Bepo

Absolutely, it's just I keep hearing references to that and it's not such a glowing endorsement.

It's safe to say anyone who watched that game and his mini-stint with us will know he was different class.
such a shame he didnt stay until the end of season :(

antohan

As I said, I prefer that @Aldo. Will wait and see whether Gazza breaks down in the second half.

antohan

@Pat_Mustard Anything you can sell on Basile Boli? I was hugely excited when we signed the European Cup winning goalscorer, but he didn't do a great deal in a Rangers shirt. Probably didn't help that Walter Smith stuck him out at right-back for much of his first season, so I'm prepared to reserve judgement on that spell of his career.
He is the elephant in the room here. I think we are all giving him an easy ride with thos being his first draft game. I hardly remember him tbh.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I've been watching bits and pieces of him for Marseille and I like what I saw. Milan made very few few clear cut chances in this match:

largely due to an excellent Marseille backline of Amoros, Boli, Mozer and Di Meco. Honestly, Mozer still looks like the main man there to me (I picked him in the Americas Draft), but Boli was a rugged, uncompromising bastard. Not much in the way of good gifs as Milan didn't create too much, but here's a couple:

Winning the ball high up the pitch and showing some nifty footwork:

Beating Gullit to win a header:

He was very aggressive in stepping out to make tackles, with Mozer sweeping up behind him.

Powerful as feck, a menace in the air, and surprisingly effective and progressive going forward given how clumsy he could look in possession at times:

He seems to be a staple inclusion in Marseille all-time XIs alongside Mozer too, for what its worth.

antohan

@Pat_Mustard Mozer was very good indeed. I would swear Basile Boli featured more than once in one of those Football Blooper videos from the "They think it's all over" guy (name escapes me).

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
@Pat_Mustard Mozer was very good indeed. I would swear Basile Boli featured more than once in one of those Football Blooper videos from the "They think it's all over" guy (name escapes me).
I regretted bringing in Thiago Silva for Mozer in the Americas Draft TBH, but we had bugger all options in that reinforcement round, we needed the name recognition, and Mozer got very little praise when he played for us.

Are you thinking of that TV show with Baddiel and Skinner? Youtube isn't turning up any major dirt on Boli (honeslty, although I haven't been looking too hard :lol:). Also bare in mind Boli was a minor hate figure in England for headbutting Stuart Pearce in 1992.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
On Boli I think the problem at Rangers was that Richard Gough as a commanding and athletic centre-half was already fulfilling much of what Boli could offer. On the surface though it looks like his Marseille CV is proven enough as they were a dynamite team with a grizzly backbone. But like Antohan I did have a sneaking suspicion that there was a wider story to tell.

antohan

I regretted bringing in Thiago Silva for Mozer in the Americas Draft TBH, but we had bugger all options in that reinforcement round, we needed the name recognition, and Mozer got very little praise when he played for us.

Are you thinking of that TV show with Baddiel and Skinner? Youtube isn't turning up any major dirt on Boli (honeslty, although I haven't been looking too hard :lol:). Also bare in mind Boli was a minor hate figure in England for headbutting Stuart Pearce in 1992.
Nah, Nick Hancock. I think it was in this video. I may be wrong, but worst case you've had a good chuckle.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
At worst that lessens the impact of injuries, which is probably a good thing.
Well, yes - but ultimately the question has to be whether injuries work as an addition to the match format.

If it's a case of "won't feck things up too badly" then surely the conclusion has to be that we're better off without 'em in the first place.

We'll see, though. I'm an advocate of new additions and experiments, so I'm by no means negative towards the thing as such. I'm just unsure, at the moment, how well it'll work.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I like Aldo's team here. I can see why Pat/Bepo could win tbh, but I don't think there's much in this one at all.

antohan

Well, yes - but ultimately the question has to be whether injuries work as an addition to the match format.

If it's a case of "won't feck things up too badly" then surely the conclusion has to be that we're better off without 'em in the first place.

We'll see, though. I'm an advocate of new additions and experiments, so I'm by no means negative towards the thing as such. I'm just unsure, at the moment, how well it'll work.
Not necessarily an improvement to the matches (I think so, but can see others disagreeing). Definitely an improvement on the drafting process by putting an emphasis on squads, versatility, tactical variations, etc.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I like Aldo/prath92's team much more after the sub, think that could work well.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
feck me, I forgot Bepo is the giflord of drafts.
So true :lol:

Alright! Going to type out some observations.

The flank with Figo and Montero is really interesting. A prime Figo is a good a winger as any, and I can't see Rivaldo helping Montero much defensively - Sousa will have to do a lot of work down that flank, potentially opening up some space in the middle for Gascoigne. The same can be said for the opposite flank with Cole not getting much help from Villa, but I don't think Ljungberg was quite as good as Figo, which leads me to my next observation.

Tugay sticks out a bit in the midfield battle. Although a good player in his day I think he comes up slightly short of the players he has to contend with here. Together with Totti's ability to drop deep, I think a pretty clear possession advantage will be to Aldo/Prath, which isn't inherently a bad thing as that might give Figo 1v1 situations against Montero, which with Larsson's and Villa's clever movement might become problematic to defend for Vidic and Hierro. As a side note even though Larsson is good in the air I don't think he'll have much fortune there in this match up as Vidic and Hierro are at least equally as good - Figo has to keep his crosses low.

If Team Aldo/Prath has the possession advantage and Team PatBepo defends deep Lloris has to use every bit of his great shot stopping. There might not be much space in the box for them, but Team Aldo has at least three players good at long range efforts (Rivaldo, Deco, Totti), and being comfortable in possession I think they'll get at least a few chances to find space in front of the opposition box to shoot from.

This is a close one for me due to how highly I rate Figo in 1v1 situations. If he gets injured (they can get injured right?) I think Team PatBepo will have a difficult time getting much out of the game. Really fun match up with two good teams.
Welcome. Please feel free to participate in the next draft.

Some amount of votes in the games so far, good to see
Yeah, great.

A stopper who used to play for compact teams (Auxerre with individual marking on all the opposing players, 3-5-2 of Goethals). His technical skills were average but he had strong 'leadership/mental skills'. Not surprised he was probably disappointing as a RB

Mozer is probably considered as a better defender than Boli amongst OM fans.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Definitely an improvement on the drafting process by putting an emphasis on squads, versatility, tactical variations, etc.
Aye, I can see that. Still, I don't think you can have one (more interesting drafting) without the other (more interesting matches) in the long run.

It has to work properly as an in-match thing. If it doesn't, you end up preparing (good feature in itself) for a basically flawed concept, and that isn't sustainable, as they say.

Anyway, the key to making it work is to make it familiar/routine. People have to take it into consideration (one way or another) as per routine - then it could work.