Surveillance Draft: SF - PatBepo vs OneNil

Who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
PatBepo

Formation: 4-3-3

The lethal Ruud van Nistelrooy slots in at centre forward, and he’ll be in his element here with top quality service from Figo and Gascoigne, and an intelligent, selfless foil in Villa.

Our tactics remain unchanged from our quarter final: our hard-working attackers and exceptionally energetic midfield allow us to adopt an aggressive counter-pressing style out of possession, and a quick tempo to our attacking game. Our attackers have the dynamism and workrate to support our aggressive pressing strategy, with Villa in particular having impeccable pedigree after excelling in one of the most demanding pressing systems of all. Moreover, with two brilliant finishers in Villa and van Nistelrooy and the outstanding winger on the pitch in Figo, we’ll have a deadly cutting edge to our attacks.

Onenil has drafted a brilliant squad, and his defence in particular is first-rate. However, his midfield is a relative weakness in this match, and whatever configuration he opts for, we back Redondo/Vidal/Gascoigne to outhustle and outclass them and establish a decisive level of control over the match. With a strong defence and an excellent goal threat, we should have enough to win a highly competitive match.

Bench: Candela, Yaya, Nani

OneNil

433- Direct/Counter Attacking
As this draft is about an era I wanted to build a side that represents this era in certain ways.

I always thought Henry and Drogba were two forwards that really define this era. Different skill sets, played in different teams but I feel these two could work wonderfully together in a set up like I use here. They operate in different zones of the pitch that complement each other. Both are (to me) largely underrated for their ability to make assists and contribute to overall team tactics. They are both excellent team players. Drogba assists are often forgotten but he was excellent at assisting others. Henry has the PL record in assists for a year which says it all.

Maldini, our captain, represents a chain of AC Milan dominant seasons from 1988 to 2007. Arguably the greatest left back of all time and a world class centre back when needed. An iconic defender that can read the game and position himself impeccably to defeat attacks. He has done well against all the greatest attackers of this era.

Maicon represents the other flank and also the resurgence of Inter. Italians have a string of complex jokes mocking Inter. Maicon was part of the Inter renaissance that happened between Maldini’s exit and the resurgence of Juventus.

Together, Maldini and Maicon, are the strongest full back pairing on the pitch. This is important as this era was one of great full backs. Most World Cup winners had the strongest full back pairings in this era. Maldini offers a defense first mentality yet is still strong in attack phases. Maicon is almost the reverse where his athleticism, talent and vision are great in defense but he is more attacking focused.

The main defensive triad of Ferdinand-Ramos-Mascherano represents this generation. Powerful, full of pace and both good in the air yet their styles are complementary. Ramos also adds a secret weapon. He has that talent for crucial goals in big matches from set pieces. Mascherano patrols the zone in front the center backs. Ramos snuffs attacks. Ferdinand cleans up the mess.

This team is balanced in many ways not just on both attacking and defense. There is legendary consistency (Maldini, Henry, Ferdinand) combined with big game ability (Drogba, Ramos, Mendieta) plus athleticism (Maicon).

Last edited:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Cheers Physio!

First thoughts:

Vidic's performances vs Drogba at their respective peaks were generally brilliant. Drogba seemed to bring out the best in our new signing.

Caniggia represents a link to the previous era. He also presents a unique proposition to Petrescu. He can’t attack without leaving Caniggia a very easy and quick counter option.
Caniggia is up against Cole and not Petrescu. Cole's pace and defensive nous make him a good choice to mitigate against Caniggia's threat. As lethal as Caniggia was on his day, he was fairly inconsistent and is the least impressive of the attackers on show here IMO.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@oneniltothearsenal @Jayvin @Pat_Mustard @Šjor Bepo

Since the error was notified so early I've decided to change OneNils line-up. Since there's only one vote so far (I just voted to see what had happened- I'll see what I really think later and will amend if necessary) I've just changed OneNil's starting line-up. It's much better to play games than have a team go through on a technicality again.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Isn't there a rule against the size of the line-up pics being way way too big? If not, there should be.

Pat_Mustard

@oneniltothearsenal @Jayvin @Pat_Mustard @Šjor Bepo

Since the error was notified so early I've decided to change OneNils line-up. Since there's only one vote so far (I just voted to see what had happened- I'll see what I really think later and will amend if necessary) I've just changed OneNil's starting line-up. It's much better to play games than have a team go through on a technicality again.
Aye, I'm fine with this. Cheers to @Jayvin for catching the error quickly :).

Enigma_87

You know who
Absolutely love that Pat/Bepo side. Can't see any fault with it. Onenil has a great one as well, but Vidic was great against Drogba, while on the other hand I can see Villa cause Ramos all sorts of problems.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Vidic - van Nistelrooy? :houllier:
He was literally subbed on for RvN for his debut

Enigma_87

You know who
aye was just about to point that out. From memory they overlapped when Vidic was brought in January.

Edit. Yep. I thought Pat/Sjor looked that up it's two of their best players as well.

Pat_Mustard

aye was just about to point that out. From memory they overlapped when Vidic was brought in January.

Edit. Yep. I thought Pat/Sjor looked that up it's two of their best players as well.
:lol: Just a huge, huge brainfart on our part. I guess I associate them with different eras, and I just completely forgot about Vidic joining us mid-season in 2005-06.

Enigma_87

You know who
:lol: Just a huge, huge brainfart on our part. I guess I associate them with different eras, and I just completely forgot about Vidic joining us mid-season in 2005-06.
aye, you got to put Boli on as Henke played with Vidic as well.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Please find my understanding of the game below:

LOL

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
In defence of all 3 managers, the games come thick and fast so we didnt really have much time to do a proper research.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
To keep the festive spirit, in honor of Giroud and Mkhitaryan goals I'd like to share a compilation of Litmanen volley goals - even though none is exactly a scorpion kick (maybe #5)

Pat_Mustard

This has to be up there with the worst draft matches ever :lol:.

Just to put up some token effort, the injury solidifies our already substantial advantage in midfield. Nakata isn't a good fit on the left of a diamond, and overall Onenil doesn't have much in the way of ball-winning there now that Mascherano has dropped back into defence. Gascoigne in particular should have alot of joy attacking Marchisio. Whilst the left side of Onenil's defence remains very strong, Villa/RVN look well capable of scoring vs Mascherano and Maicon.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
A few observations:
  • In the absence of much right-sided threat, Cole can tuck in to compress the space through the middle and provide some additional covering pace
  • Petrescu should enjoy some opportunities going forward assuming Henry isn't tracking back.
  • Vidal's raw energy could well be too much for Nakata to deal with
  • Litmanen could be on fire here. He took Redondo's Real apart in the mid-1990s and he could link up well with Henry and Mendieta.
  • Post-sub I can see Mendieta getting overworked keeping tabs on Patbepo's trio.
What it comes down to is how much impact Litmanen and Henry can have in head-to-heads they should generally edge, against the general control from deeper areas I'd fancy the likes of Petrescu/Redondo/Gazza/Vidal to enjoy.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Or he could disqualify both of us and just declare @Tuppet winner ;)
Pretty much this, we both made a mess at the start which pretty much ruined the game and turn this into worst draft game of all time. Neither of us deserves to go through if we are honest.
Was thinking of putting a comment earlier even though we made a deal that only Pat will post as we are against one manager but there is just no point at this time.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Pretty much this, we both made a mess at the start which pretty much ruined the game and turn this into worst draft game of all time. Neither of us deserves to go through if we are honest.
Was thinking of putting a comment earlier even though we made a deal that only Pat will post as we are against one manager but there is just no point at this time.
We need to have a final. Let's just hope both managers field eligible players ;)