Swedish Football Manager - Meltdown

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Is that Bojan Djordjic he's arguing with? Seems like they're both being pricks and talking over each other to me. Is there some history that led to that? I mean ostensibly it's a fair point if they win 5-0 and they're asking why he didn't do something different but he seems to fly off the handle quite quickly. All very odd.

Pintu

His name isn’t Svensson… :lol:

Some people are making it out to be some sort of racist comment. I don’t think he meant it in that way at all.

But he just lost it. Of course he was wrong not giving Jeppe more minutes and he got defensive about it in a very weird way.

Pintu

Is that Bojan Djordjic he's arguing with? Seems like they're both being pricks and talking over each other to me. Is there some history that led to that? I mean ostensibly it's a fair point if they win 5-0 and they're asking why he didn't do something different but he seems to fly off the handle quite quickly. All very odd.
Yes. That’s Bojan. Former United player if I may say so. Football isn’t only the result. Jesper is probably one of our biggest players for the next 10 years and not giving the chance to play more seems really ridiculous. (Against Belguim he played central midfielders on the wings of his outdated 442) It also took him too long to integrate Kulusevski when he was killing it for Parma. Back then Zlatan (who was kind of retired) went public and said Kulusevski should be playing…

Glorio

But the guy won 5-0 still, the the fellow he brought in scored, don't see why his decisions should be questioned after that

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
But the guy won 5-0 still, the the fellow he brought in scored, don't see why his decisions should be questioned after that
I mean it’s a fair enough question that he could just answer like a normal person. The pundit seemed like he was fishing for a bite when he realised the manager was going crazy but the manager was definitely being weird for no reason.

JohnnyLaw

We’ve been poor for a long time now and the pressure has been building on Andersson for a while.
I’ve heard rumours before that he’s got quite the temper but he’s always handled the media rather well since taking the reigns.
I suppose he wasn’t prepared to come under criticism after a 5-0 win but you can’t snap like that. I find Bojan to be rather annoying but he didn’t do too much wrong here, I’ve been asking the same questions while watching us play in recent times.
The goals masked a rather poor performance anyways where we allowed Azerbaijan to dominate possession for parts of the game at home. Andersson must be feeling the pressure and regardless of this incident his position should be under consideration.

Strats

As much as Andersson was in the wrong; Djordjic is oftentimes a loud and self centred prick.

Do find it unnecessary by Bojan and the media to imply that Janne was racist, as I don’t think that was his intention.

BootsyCollins

As much as Andersson was in the wrong; Djordjic is oftentimes a loud and self centred prick.

Do find it unnecessary by Bojan and the media to imply that Janne was racist, as I don’t think that was his intention.
Yes i agree, but its more his reaction to Bojan saying he represent Sweden, than asking who he represent, for me. He is rolling his eyes and a "aaah tjena" response, that sits a little wrong with me.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I don't agree with the racist angle at all. It was clear for anyone that actually saw the whole clip that Janne meant that he represents the Swedish NT and that Bojan isn't a manager. However, it was a genuine question, the Swedish NT has been underperforming for a while now and Janne should have been sacked after failing to qualify for the WC. The football is so incredibly outdated, we can't even rely on a strong defense to justify it either. It's time for Swedish football as a whole to be revamped...

Mike Smalling

I sympathize with the manager here. Obviously he gets way too emotional, but I can sort of see where he is coming from. Why be overly critical after a 5-0 win? Also, the interviewer immediately jumping to some imagined racial slight is embarrassing on his part. There is no need to assume the worst in people like that.

UpWithRivers

Its a fkn stupid question to be fair. Jesper doesnt play because the manager thinks the other 11 is better suited to how he wants to play. What other answer is there?

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Now that's a proper meltdown. He sounded like he was about to cry too!

Perhaps it was lost in translation, but the pundit pulling the race card seems like a pretty big stretch. I don't think the manager was talking about nationality or ethnicity?

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I don't agree with the racist angle at all. It was clear for anyone that actually saw the whole clip that Janne meant that he represents the Swedish NT and that Bojan isn't a manager. However, it was a genuine question, the Swedish NT has been underperforming for a while now and Janne should have been sacked after failing to qualify for the WC. The football is so incredibly outdated, we can't even rely on a strong defense to justify it either. It's time for Swedish football as a whole to be revamped...
Forget the swedes, come back to your roots and support Hassan Maatouk.

On a serious note, you've won 5-0, the last thing you'd be expecting is to be asked a "criticism" question about why player X isn't playing. I get the manager's point of view.

Red Star One

Yes i agree, but its more his reaction to Bojan saying he represent Sweden, than asking who he represent, for me. He is rolling his eyes and a "aaah tjena" response, that sits a little wrong with me.
Perhaps Janne is indeed racist, Bojan was right to make it all about his ethnicity and now the public can all bask in the familiar and engaging topic of racism/who's the bad guy. For me, though, it's just lazy and feels like an American import product, not knowing who the pundits are and not giving a single feck if their parents were born in Sweden or elsewhere, not for a second I thought Andersson suggested that Djordjic is more loyal to Serbia than to Sweden, merely laughed at the arrogant concept of a TV pundit and former shitty player claiming to be a representative of the whole nation and having a divine right to expect an answer from Andersson. If you give me Piers Morgan saying that he represents 60+ million Brits and acting so entitled I'd roll my eyes too and I wouldn't spare a single thought about his mother birthplace.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Bojan Djordjic is known to be one of the whiniest pundits in Sweden. He is also known to be aggressive, he doesn't speak in a normal sense of tone. It's like Neville and Keane rolled up in one.

The manager had felt pressure for a while, especially after losing 0-3 to Belgium the other day. Now they won 5-0 and he is still getting grilled so he had enough. For me there is no racism.

He either means "who the f*ck do you represent? Forget about your pundit role and get behind the NT. I'm the manager and you are a has been without any accolades!".

Or he might indicate "who do you really represent?" meaning why do you want me to get fired? Who is really lurking and pulling the strings?

BootsyCollins

Perhaps Janne is indeed racist, Bojan was right to make it all about his ethnicity and now the public can all bask in the familiar and engaging topic of racism/who's the bad guy. For me, though, it's just lazy and feels like an American import product, not knowing who the pundits are and not giving a single feck if their parents were born in Sweden or elsewhere, not for a second I thought Andersson suggested that Djordjic is more loyal to Serbia than to Sweden, merely laughed at the arrogant concept of a TV pundit and former shitty player claiming to be a representative of the whole nation and having a divine right to expect an answer from Andersson. If you give me Piers Morgan saying that he represents 60+ million Brits and acting so entitled I'd roll my eyes too and I wouldn't spare a single thought about his mother birthplace.
I am as sure as one can be without talking to the person that Janne is not racist. He has stood up against racism before and i am not sure why you quote my post where i agreed that its was unnecessary to imply that it was anything racist about what he did.
Bojan felt it was though, so who am i to say he cant feel that way? Still dont think Janne ment it that way

I think Janne was in the wrong here, not with the represent thing, but with the way he reacted to Bojans answer and everything else really. He came in to the interview angry, and as he said himself, he reacted wrong. Its was strange to see as he was getting angrier and angrier by his own words almost. He should be able to take questions as the national coach, even from former "shitty" players.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Djordjic seems quite far up his own arse for a bloke who managed 6 career goals as an attacking player and whose greatest accomplishment is probably getting 40-odd games for Plymouth Argyle.

Strats

Djordjic seems quite far up his own arse for a bloke who managed 6 career goals as an attacking player and whose greatest accomplishment is probably getting 40-odd games for Plymouth Argyle.
This.

He comes across as incredibly smug and loves to associate himself with United.

Lyng

I get why the manager got pissed. Its silly to whinge like that after a 5-0 victory. Djordjic always seemed like a bit of a prick.
Also implying racism is pretty funny when the white dude from serbia is the one complaining about a white dude named Jesper not playing instead of a black player....

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I get why the manager got pissed. Its silly to whinge like that after a 5-0 victory. Djordjic always seemed like a bit of a prick.
Also implying racism is pretty funny when the white dude from serbia is the one complaining about a white dude named Jesper not playing instead of a black player....
Racism isn't just white/black etc.

The Swedish manager actively brought the pundits race into the equation!!

Now, it wasn't racist 'abuse' as such, but it was racist to question someone's background.

Mike Smalling

Now, it wasn't racist 'abuse' as such, but it was racist to question someone's background.
He did not. He said: "And who do you represent?".

Lyng

What do you believe is his race?

Born2Lose

I don't know why so many Managers agree to this modern trend of being questioned by football geniuses like Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

To be very clear he did not do this.

In context it appears to be more a question of “oh so your views are the views of everyone” or “who is making you ask this?”.

I do not believe there was any racial intent from the manager and as much as I love a meltdown I don’t think it’s appropriate to speculate in that direction.

Crick

Classic Mourinho how dare you question me vibes. It doesn't matter if you win or lose, if you're football is shit and outdated you should be asked why are you doing this and why did you do that. What rule says you can only do that if you lose. If the football overall is boring who cares if you win a game 5-0. Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho all won by big margins but I wouldn't pay money to watch any game they manage again.

Lyng

Classic Mourinho how dare you question me vibes. It doesn't matter if you win or lose, if you're football is shit and outdated you should be asked why are you doing this and why did you do that. What rule says you can only do that if you lose. If the football overall is boring who cares if you win a game 5-0. Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho all won by big margins but I wouldn't pay money to watch any game they manage again.
He was questioned on why a certain striker didnt get more minutes despite them winning 5-0. That is the definition of idiotic punditry.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
To be very clear he did not do this.

In context it appears to be more a question of “oh so your views are the views of everyone” or “who is making you ask this?”.

I do not believe there was any racial intent from the manager and as much as I love a meltdown I don’t think it’s appropriate to speculate in that direction.
It could be interpreted that way for sure.

However, the person he is speaking to is of Serbian heritage, the pundit asked if that's what the manager meant by him asking who he represented, yet didn't get a response. He should have been a lot more sensitive to that, interesting to see if he'd have done the same question to a Swedish born pundit.

It's clear that Djordjic was questioning the manager whether he was bringing race into the equation:

Who else should I represent? Which other country? Are you referring to Serbia? Is that what you are trying to say? That’s low of you Janne. It’s a bad answer to say, ‘who do you represent?’

Mike Smalling

Yes, a dual nationality pundit....think about it.
If you get a racial connotation from what he said, it's because you are looking for one. I interpret the line to mean, "Why are you this critical after a 5-0 win?" like he accuses the pundit of either wanting another manager or just stirring the pot, when it's not necessary. The manager played Kulusevski in the same game, who is also of Eastern European descent, and he played Alexander Isak and Elanga who are both black. Accusing him of racism is insanely stupid.

Lyng

Racism comes in many shapes and forms.

You should really know that.
No it doesnt. Racism is racism. He is white. Thats it. If we are talking about his ethnicity that is a different story and has nothing to do with race.
People are implying a lot out of a nothing statement.
We could just as easily do the reverse and look at the huge issues in slavic countries with racism. And now ask why the white slavic pundit is grilling a manager for not playing a white player over a black player.
But we shouldnt because that would be equally stupid as screaming racism over a nothing statement.

Real Name

No it doesnt. Racism is racism. He is white. Thats it. If we are talking about his ethnicity that is a different story and has nothing to do with race.
People are implying a lot out of a nothing statement.
We could just as easily do the reverse and look at the huge issues in slavic countries with racism. And now ask why the white slavic pundit is grilling a manager for not playing a white player over a black player.
But we shouldnt because that would be equally stupid as screaming racism over a nothing statement.
Talk about ignorance.

I'm not saying this instance was racism but you it can happen if a Swedish implies another Swedish national isnt representing Sweden.